IMDb > "Smallville" Metamorphosis (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Smallville" Metamorphosis (2001)

« Prev | 3 of 217 Episodes | Next »

Sometimes You're the Windshield, Sometimes You're the Bug!

Author: Jerique (kris.hopson@hotmail.com) from Canada
9 August 2010

As far as superheroes go, I can't recall Spider-Man or Batman or any other superhero having over hundreds of small villains to ward off. I mean, there were always main enemies to fight, but Smallville's great ability to have an amazing show and endless amount of episodes comes from all the meteor rocks giving powers to regular people and having Clark someone new to fight.

As this episode shows us, humans take guilt very hard and it's what separates us from any other species, really. This episode focuses on Clark's guilt and that he feels responsible for killing Lana's parents because he brought the meteor rocks with him. As he tries to let go of his guilt, Greg (Chad E Donnella) has become filled with a power linked to the abilities of bugs. Worse off, he's chosen Lana as his mate.

While most will believe that Superman can quickly dispose of any foe who comes along, that's incorrect because many of the fight scenes occur near some meteor rocks (unknown to Clark to be Kryptonite) which cause him to weaken and give his enemies the upperhand. It's not just the people who he faces as his enemies, but his own inner demons of not knowing who he is, who his parents are, where he comes from and what his destiny is, Clark is actually a very fragile and flawed character in some sense.

As this episode progresses, we learn the reason why Clark can't fly and truly become Superman yet is because he is afraid of heights. Along with the rest of what he doesn't understand, he's afraid and it's hard to be a hero if you're scared.

This episode is about transformation for both Greg and Clark. Character development is very prominent in this episode as well as bonds begin to grow in this episode, primarily between Clark and Lana, Chloe and Clark, Lex and Clark and even Lex and Lana. It's amazing what forty-four minutes of Smallville can do.

Indicates the new direction of young Superman

Author: Rcwilkinson123 from United States
2 September 2007

"Metamorphosis" indicates that "Smallville" is going to be much more of a supernatural take than we've seen in the life of teenaged Clark Kent. This show conveys that is the idea: citizens of the town mutated produces dramatic repercussions and drives the induced citizens often into mind warp.

A young bug collector finds that his insects are induces by a strange sort of glowing-green toxin, found on their bodies and on the rocks on which the insects live. The toxin causes the insects to go haywire on the boy, causing the boy to live and think like an insect. For the second time ever, Clark Kent saves the day, a scene seen many times to come.

Be Careful With the Bug-Boy

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 March 2006

The weird teenager Greg Arkin (Chad Donella), who lives alone with his mother Mrs. Arkin (Gabrielle Rose), collects insects in his home. After arguing with his mother, he puts the insects in his car and has an accident on the road, being attacked by the insects. He has a metamorphosis, becoming a powerful insect. He kills his mother and he chooses Lana Lang (Kristin Kreuk) to be his mate for procreation purposes. He believes that Lana Lang is dating Clark Kent, and Greg threatens Clark and his father Jonathan. In the end, Clark saves Lana from Greg's cocoon.

This second episode keeps the same excellent level of the "Pilot": nice cast, wonderful cinematography and music score, and a great story and special effects. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Metamorfose" ("Metamorphosis")

The One With Bug Boy...

Author: Taylor Kingston from Australia
29 July 2015

I really enjoyed this episode. It is a very enjoyable follow-up to the Series Premiere. I like the term that I just thought of, that I'm sure others have also thought of, "Bug Boy". Not a very proud superhero name, but an even less scary villain name.

In this episode, Greg, a teenage boy who lives at alone with his Mother, and who collects insects, becomes very different, after putting his bugs in his car, accidentally getting into an accident, and being attacked by the insects. He has a metamorphosis. He becomes an insect. Because of this, he pretty much goes nuts, kills his Mother, and chooses Lana as his mate, who he wishes to create creepy hybrid babies with. But as we all know, Clark will come and save the day.

Overall, I give this episode a 9 out of 10, which in my ratings book is: Amazing.

Loving the slow build up for this first season

Author: Brettyboy007 from United States
7 September 2014

Just like I said in the pilot review, this series is really coming together as a great origin story for Clark Kent/Superman. I like Clark having to use his powers to save Smallville from meteor infected citizens as he does in this one. The villain in this episode is a "bug boy".

This episode has a lot of relationship building with Clark/Lana, Clark/Pete/Chloe, Clark/Lex, Clark/Jonathan, and Clark/Martha. Lex and Lana both meet for the first time and build their relationship for the first time. This episode also tells how Clark saves people but never receives credit for what he does! He is the ultimate anonymous hero.

Funny moments with Clark saying he's afraid of heights. Haha...

Lex Luthor is a good person. I can only wait till they start to take his character to the heights he is supposed to be.

Chloe is really a cute journalist.