IMDb > The Shaggy Dog (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Shaggy Dog

The Shaggy Dog More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Not as bad as the reviews

Author: rem1010 from Vancouver, WA
18 March 2006

I took my 12 year old grandson to see it and he was rolling on the floor for most of the film. I was surprised that it was actually funny,much more surprise than I was prepared for. This is a funny movie for those preteens and early teens as they seem to really enjoy it. Sure it is not full of high tech special effects and should never be compared to the Matrix, but it is a Disney! movie --- get it... a Disney movie. Take that into consideration ... how many Disney movies achieve high ratings anyway, other than the classics? This is a fun movie. I saw the original and it was funny too. Remember way back when everything was black and white and not color? The special effects in this movie are not very high tech and some of the metamorphosis takes place when you do not see it, so do not expect "the wolf-man" changes to be shown, nope, one shot he is a man, the next he is a dog. Some of the other critters are pretty funny too and kids seem to love this movie.

Nowhere near as bad as claimed

Author: evoevo from Hexham, England
19 April 2006

So it's a dumb movie with a dumb plot - what do you expect? Agatha Christie? Robert Ludlum? This is a Disney film for children!

As a kids' movie, it's a lot of fun with plenty of slapstick and lots of laughs. The plot is goofy, but the basic premise is hardly meant to be realistic. This is not cinema verité. People give "What Women Want" with Mel Gibson a much higher rating, but that's just as daft.

There are plenty of set-piece chases, as you would expect with a storyline about dogs.

If you want clever, go see the Usual Suspects, just don't take your under-eights.

Just a Disney Flick Remade - Don't be overly critical

Author: bimpavidus-1 from Canada
15 March 2006

It's a funny movie. Don't "compare" it to the older one, it just isn't the same, it's made for the youth of today. Not sure what some expected, but those rating this a "1" obviously don't get out to see many movies, or are looking for something that just isn't this movie. It's funny, not Awful as a rating of 1 would suggest. Now, as far as Disney or the like goes, it's an average movie, below that which Tim Allen is capable of, this is more what I might expect to see on Sunday night TV, not on a big screen. Unfortunately as the Disney Corporation becomes more and more "corporate" and moves further from it's founding principles, its products are slowly failing to impress and differentiate themselves from the hordes of the plain and ordinary and unimaginative.

Wow, blah blah, just an average new age Disney movie, not awful but certainly not anything to write home about.

better than i thought. entertaining

Author: N-whymark from United Kingdom
4 April 2006

Went today to see this film. another remake but admittedly haven't seen the original. And I personally thought it was OK. Had three kids with me...14 yr old 8 yr old and 6yr old who all sat watching it, enjoying it and laughing away. Me too. Tim Allen was great as usual and def suits the comedy side of acting. Bit samey with the oldest child a teenage daughter who wears different clothes and wants to be rebellious...father works a lot and isn't the most committed father..mother who seems to do it all and has had enough and then the younger son who just seems to want to do his own thing but hasn't the nerve to say it. BUT apart from that the dog was great, Tim Allen and Robery Downey Jnr were great(nice to see Downey in something), some funny scenes with the actors and with the animals. Bit slow to start with but gets better. Def entertaining for kids and adults..if only Disney done more like this, seem to have dome some fantastic films years ago and then lost the plot a bit. Worth seeing

Saw a private screening of it.

Author: Internet_Movie_Data_base (scornador@yahoo.com) from United States
23 February 2006

The Shaggy Dog actually was not as bad of a movie as I had supposed it would be. It was mildly entertaining, it keeps your attention. It is not very realistic, for example when Tim Allen's character is chasing the cat and rams the old lady and she goes flying and hits a tree. The scenes after becoming the "shaggy dog" when he turns back to human, it is all very funny through out there until the end of the movie. Tim Allen's performance is quite original in this one, it also was better than I hoped.

The first twenty minutes of the movie are very slow and boring, the movie rises up after he gets bitten and turns into the dog. Overall it was not such a terrible movie. It is a great movie to watch with your kids or family and friends. Go and enjoy the Shaggy Dog Overall 6 1/2 out of 10.

Lackluster Family Film

Author: christian123
11 June 2006

Assistant D.A. David Douglas (Allen) finds himself barking up the wrong tree, after he's bitten by a dog being experimented on in a laboratory and suddenly finds himself acting and the turning into a dog himself.

Tim Allen's film career is a case of hit or miss. The Santa Clause movies are offset by Joe Somebody and Christmas with the Kranks. Unfortunately, The Shaggy Dog is in the latter group. To be blunt, the film is pretty bad. The movie was not funny and it was quite dull. I know it's just a harmless family film but did it have to be so boring and humorless? Of course it didn't. I always thought family movies were supposed to entertain the entire family not just one age group of the family. The Shaggy Dog may prove to be an enjoyable treat for the kids but most people over the age of 13 will probably hate it.

The acting is only okay and the decent cast keeps the film from completely sinking. Tim Allen gives a decent performance as Dave but he really needs to stop doing lame family movies. Kristin Davis also gives a decent performance and she is also way above this material. I really don't like Spencer Breslin. He just annoys me and his acting isn't very good. The Shaggy Dog did not change my opinion about him. Zena Grey just gives a bland performance, nothing special from her. Robert Downey Jr. gives a decent performance as the bad guy. Danny Glover is wasted in his role and he barely appears on screen.

The first twenty minutes or so are actually pretty enjoyable. After that, the movie starts reusing the same jokes and it becomes more serious. There was probably a break from the laughter for about 30 minutes since the movie was handling serious issues in a lighthearted way. I think the director did this to attract both adults and children but he ended up alienating both of them. The stupid humor will probably bore adults and the serious scenes will probably bore the children. I have never seen the original Shaggy Dog movies and maybe that's how those films were handled as well. However, the film seemed a little misdirected to me which isn't surprising since there are five(!) credited screenwriters. Behind the camera, it seems like things were a little messy and it shows in the movie. In the end, The Shaggy Dog is a harmless yet humorless family film that should appeal to the kids. Everyone else should skip the movie. Rating 3/10

Only entertaining if you're under five

Author: zebraspots from United States
17 July 2006

Shaggy Dog is a movie well suited for a younger audience, but is a groaner for anyone over fifteen. There are a few good jokes in there that would would spark a chuckle from the 'elders', and some of Tim Allen's dog-ish impressions might make you laugh but it will get old.

The movie starts off like a mysterious Jackie Chan movie, set in Tibet. We are shown a temple where a sheep dog sits praying with the rest of the monks, but a foul plot is afoot: the military has been sent to kidnap this dog, which has been alive for more than 300 years. The evil Dr. Kozak (Robert Downey Jr.) wants to market a "fountain of youth" from the dogs DNA.

Meanwhile, Dave Douglas (Tim Allen), a Washington D.A., is having an average American lifestyle. His kids know that he doesn't get them, and his wife is starting to realize that she is losing her husband to his job. When the 300 year old shaggy dog escapes the test lab and bites Douglas,he transforms into a dog at night, and has many dog-like tendencies throughout the day.

Often, jokes are repeated throughout the movie, yet don't receive a "running-joke" label, but become annoying. However, Tim Allen's thoughts while a dog ("I don't know why I never tried this running on four legs thing before!") are quite cute. All in all, it's like "Good Boy" with a slightly different story.

Shaggy Dog

Author: patsmiley from United States
29 July 2006

I took my daughter to see this movie, and we both enjoyed it very much. We can't wait until it comes out on DVD to add to our personal collection. I really was happy with the fact that there wasn't any profanity throughout the entire movie. It reminded me of the good old days when rated PG movies could be watched by the entire family. We laughed throughout the entire movie, and it managed to hold my 8 year old daughter's attention, which is commendable within itself. So, I really wanted to say Thank You to all of the individuals who were apart of the decision making process of making sure that this movie was completely decent for our children to watch.

A Remake Of The Original Disney Comic Film

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
12 April 2006

The Shaggy Dog (2006) starring Tim Allen, Kristin Davis, Zena Grey, Spencer Breslin, Robert Downey Jr., Danny Glover, Jane Curtin, Joshua Leonard, Shawn Pyfrom, Bess Wohl, Jarrad Paul, Directed by Brian Robbins Maybe some people aren't aware that this is actually a re-make to the 1976 "The Shaggy D.A." with a similar premise- a lawyer running for District Attorney is contesting the title with a rival lawyer. He gets a hold of a magic "Borgia ring" and switches from being a sheep-dog to a man. This remake is the same except they took out the magic ring part and replaced it with a thousand-year-old "magic" Buddhist dog who bites the lawyer. Tim Allen as Dave Douglas is doing his usual comedic performing style and does a fine job at it. He's a dead-beat dad who learns to love his kids and become a better father by listening to his children as a dog. Kristin Davis is his wife Rebecca. Better known for her role in Sex In The City, she's proving to be a versatile actress. Zena Grey and Spencer Breslin play the kids and they're good in this also. Robert Downey Jr as the scheming rival lawyer is also comedic and fun to watch. The film is good, except it is ultimately a repetitive, predictable Disney film. It is fun for the whole family however.

For Every Child, and Their Children, Too

Author: ArmsAndMan from Berkeley
19 March 2006

Tim Allen may be the most underrated and generous comic actor working today, willing to pursue any honest laugh to please his audience. But he's clever about it, and the slapstick in this remake rivals the pioneering skill of silent film comedians. This is Allen's best work since "Galaxy Quest."

The ultimate test of this movie is the child you take along (including the one we carry in our heart). My daughter laughed and had a great time. She even explained the DNA cloning technology in such a way that demonstrated just how much craft when into the screenplay -- "make it understandable to a kid under 12" -- even though the pseudo science of the plot often distracted my adult mind.

I never saw the original flick with Fred MacMurray. But I did see Lon Chaney play The Wolfman, and a dozen other werewolf movies. This is a G-rated version of the same mythology, and it resonates for me as an adult, but flies over the head of my youngster. "The Shaggy Dog" works on two distinct levels while satisfying both audiences -- I only wish all family movies were this good.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]