IMDb > MorphMan (2005) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Larva

MorphMan (TV) More at IMDbPro »Larva (original title)

Surprisingly Funny and Entertaining B-Movie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3 July 2008

In Host, Missouri, the newcomer Dr. of Veterinary Science Eli Rudkus (Vincent Ventresca) is called by the farmer Jacob Long (William Forsythe) to exam one of his cows. The veterinarian finds a strange parasite in the animal and sends it to a friend in the Department of Agriculture for research. Later, he finds the same parasite in a creek and he summons the population for a meeting, warning that the cause might be the animal food. However, Fletcher Odermatt (David Selby), the wealthy owner of the local Host Tender Meals that has been providing free animal food for the farmers, brings his lawyer Hayley Anderson (Rachel Hunter) and discredits Eli. When a huge mutant parasite attacks Eli and Jacob, they discover that the meals are actually an experimental genetic cocktail that is growing parasites inside the kettles and people.

"Larva" is a surprisingly funny and entertaining B-movie. The flawed story is silly and trash and it is hilarious to see, for example, the veterinarian Eli using his bare hands touching the mutant parasite that has just been killed, or the chase in the hospital. Nevertheless the absurdness of the plot, I believe that fans of B-movies may like "Larva". My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Homem Larva" ("Larva Man")

Predictable but watchable

Author: willywants
22 January 2005

A leading meat-providing corporation takes a turn for the worst when an experiment involving seeds that beef-up cattle end up creating mutant creatures within the stomach's of those who ingest the beef. I caught "Larva" by accident this afternoon, sat down and watched it and was reasonably impressed. The plot offers nothing new, that's for sure. You've got your usual collection of characters--the greedy company CEO, the disbelieving sheriff, the throw-away creature fodder victims, etc. the film is also quite predictable. But the technical aspects of the film are well done. Director Tim Cox's visual style is strong and adds lots of credibility to the films. I loved the yellow-golden Cinematography that he bathes the film in. Acting is all-around decent, especially William Forsythe who's quite amusing as the clichéd wacko farmer. The special effects were pretty neat. Once we actually see the creatures, their somewhat disappointing, kind of like a Horseshoe crab spliced with a sting ray. Sounds pretty cool, looks rather silly and unbelievable. The make-up effects were quite impressive. Don't be fooled by the fact it's a made-for-cable monster movie, it's gory as hell (Can't wait for the DVD release). I dug all the yucky parasite business as well.

Despite the clichéd plot and characters, it's a pretty decent, watchable movie, especially for fans of gore. Worth a viewing.

6/10.

Best line: "Um, sheriff, their's aliens in my backyard. They look like kites."

Never look at hamburgers the same again

Author: KHayes666 from United States
30 July 2005

When I saw this movie I had just purchased Burger King, after it ended I was thinking that eating BK wasn't such a good idea. First Look Home Entertainment seems to love parasite thrillers (Mosquito Man, Deep Evil, Larva) and this one surely is on the gross list.

Vincent Ventresca stars as veterinarian and is forced to look into a cow problem that's driving a local farmer (William Forstyhe)in Host, MO crazy. The town is seemingly a normal redneck habitat, everyone earns their living one way or another from a meat corporation. One day the cow infestation makes its way to humans and all hell breaks loose. Ventresca must join Forsythe to stop the ongoing infestation.

This wasn't a horrible movie but it wasn't great either. Made for TV movies usually don't get as much press as others so I can see why not many people have heard of it. The point of the movie was to freak people out, and while it didn't freak me out...it did make me look twice at the BK I had for pests. Highlight of the movie is the opening scene when the kids run away from the larva inside the cow...smartest kids in movie history.

Weird movie.....4 out of 10

Lots of things that didn't make any sense.

Author: lordzedd-3 from United States
27 May 2006

Although the characters were well written and they had fun. What they wanted is another "MAD COW" scare and I'm not sure how true the MAD COW thing was or how much was hyped up by rating grabbing TV news. Anyway, let's see what else is wrong with this. Why did the parasites live though the cooking process? Also, I would assume that healthy cattle would have parasites. I might be wrong on that. Also, where the FDA during this? As far as I know the FDA has to test all new hormones and drugs before they would even dream of allowing human testing, so where was the FDA, and why didn't Dr. Eli Rudkus call them on the matter. Finally, allot of stupid little things that didn't make sense, one, the husband called his wife at home on her cell phone. Big company owner can't afford a house line? Two, after removing her bra a creature pops out of her boyfriend's stomach, so in a mad panic, she puts her bra back on. I'm sorry, who bothers to dress in a screaming mad panic? But there is some clever writing and a good cast. There are some good stuff in this movie, but it's hard to see under all the cow pies. I give it 4 STARS

High body count

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
7 October 2006

Another evil conspiracy is in the works. This time it's a rich guy who owns a beef distibuting company, in league with genetic engineers, trying to make his product sell more, or better, or something. In any event, they're messing with the beef, by treating it with some kind of parasite. Guess what? Something goes wrong, and the parasites go on a rampage.

It's actually creepy and scary enough to work, in spite of the recycled plot devices. The movie offers exploding stomachs (Alien), the conspirators covering up their actions at the expense of more lives (X Files), dumb sheriffs (lots of movies), and dumber townspeople (also lots of movies). There's also lots of bloody bodies, both humans and creatures. The acting is fairly decent, and the quasi-bat like design of the rapidly proliferating monsters is ugly enough for this sort of flick. The action is paced rather well, gory scenes balanced with scientific analysis exposition, even some "Don't look behind that door!" type stuff. Of course, they run the obligatory victim mauling scenes, including the usual couple-making-out-gets-killed routine.

All in all, a capably managed low budget horror movie, which manages a fair number of good old fashioned scares.

Watchable, but pretty lame

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
5 June 2012

I'll be honest in saying that I wasn't expecting much, and although it was better than expected I didn't get much either. The opening scene is actually quite good having a nice atmosphere to it, the make-up is generally impressive and there are two actors who do try hard and on the most part succeed, Vincent Ventesca is a charismatic lead and William Forsythe plays his role with crusty demeanor that suits him and his character well. However, the monster effects seem cool on paper but look silly on screen, consequently I found it difficult to be menaced by them. The haphazard editing also doesn't help, nor the generic and sometimes sluggish-sounding music. The action and gore is actually not badly paced or done, just that they are derivative of other films that have done certain scenes better, such as Alien with the exploding stomach idea. But the real problems with Larva(or MorphMan) are the clichéd characters(plus none of them are really that likable or well-developed, just how many times are we going to have the "dumb" sheriff idea?), formulaic and very predictable story(the ending you can actually see coming well before it happens because again I have seen endings like that before), the terrible, cheesy script such as someone going back for candy when they are running for their lives and the lack of any real suspense or thrills. I have definitely seen much worse acting, but acting-wise here only Ventesca and Forsythe really stood out. So all in all, lame but at the end of the day not too bad. 4/10 Bethany Cox

you seem it before

Author: greenflea2 from Australia
4 January 2007

This movie is trash, but well made and obviously much was spend on the production. Rachel Hunter with her strong Australian accent seems totally out of place in this movie. Whats the most daft scene in this story, is when the townspeople are making emergency calls to the Sheriff, he just Sat's there and does nothing, does not response or seems to care, despite his town is been over-run by flying string ray creatures. The special effects are rather good, and does prove this movie had a good budget. There is a lot of thrown away characters who show up in one scene, only to be kill off in the next scene.

More stupid behavior from the main characters, when they discovery the creatures, they don't seem too worry in warning the local townspeople, or calling for help outside the township. Of course its up to them to save the day, which happens at the end as usual.

There is nothing new in this movie which you have not seem before in countless other horror movies.

One thing i always hate about these movies, its always the new guy in town that saves the day, never a local. In these movies, the locals are made out to be dumb hill billies who know nothing, and only the new guy who knows all the answers can save the day.

I also wonder why the local fire brigade or ambulance service are never call in, during this movie, or maybe they not bought in, to save costs.

This movie is a crime.

Author: boost from Spain
2 September 2006

Okay this is my first review. Till now I have never had the need to write one but this movie was too much for me.

The only reason I watched it to the end is because I put on it 5% of my brain. The other 95% was focused on working on my laptop.

I would like to say I have no problem with bad movies, usually I even enjoy them. The problem is when a really bad movie takes himself death seriously. Then you got a crime.

The main flaw of Larva is a really bad, absurd, lame, boring script *PLUS* the director shot it thinking he was going to make Alien. You get colored shots (T2 - blue, Matrix - green, Larva - Yellow), good non-cgi special effects, and acceptable acting. But instead of working for the movie it all goes against it.

About the script... where to begin? Well the intro scene is so stupid one has to choose between instantly forgetting it or immediately stopping the player. The whole movie is plagued with the most stupid lines I have ever heard. Just a quick example: typical running_away_from_the_monster scene. One can expect to see someone getting back to get his asthma thing, to warn someone, whatever. But never, never, never, "to get my candy". "TO GET MY CANDY" !?!

To finish with the review... to say that the script doesn't deliver what was promised would be a bad joke. Take this concept, multiply it by one trillion and you get Larba's ending.

Run of the mill killer critter flick

Author: Jack from Minnesota, USA
23 January 2005

I guess I was expecting this to be better than it was, as Vincent Ventresca was quite a good actor in The Invisible Man series he did for sci-fi. But he gives what I would call a rather dull performance here, bringing little life or personality to his character. This is just your run of the mill story of greedy industrialists fiddling with science to create (unintentionally) a killer creature. Actually a bunch of them. They go on the usual rampage, kill the usual nameless bunch of extras, and there's the usual climactic scene involving a large explosion.

Nothing really drew me in to this picture, it was just there, on the screen, running its course. None of the characters made me care about them, though at least they weren't too obnoxious. The whole plot seemed a bit silly - I was left feeling as if the evil industrialists were intentionally trying to kill everybody, which made the whole greed motive seem stupid. It just wasn't very well done in that respect.

The beginning half of the film features some orange-bathed cinematography and good theme music, which gave it quite a nice atmosphere, but that was about it. As soon as the set-up scenes were done and the characters started talking, it got a bit boring.

Overall, it's not a bad movie, nor a good one. Just an overly predictable and uninteresting one.

Standard monster movie

Author: bus7821 from Seattle
23 January 2005

The main monster movie formula hasn't changed since the 1950s: The pet evil technology of the time (radiation, pollution, germ warfare, genetic engineering) in conjunction with the pet villain of the time (mad scientists, the CIA, right wing militias, evil industrialists) turn some natural creature into a dangerous mutated version of itself. Fighting it is made harder by clueless citizenry, corrupt politicians, and head-in-the-sand bureaucrats. Frequently the good guys are aided by a guilt-wracked insider, who often gets killed in the process.

This movie is straight out of that mold, and is as silly as such movies usually are. The sloppy way that it was edited for showing on the SciFi channel created a few extra head-scratching moments that may not be present in the video store version. The best of these was a continuity classic where a girl in a car goes from bra off, to on, to off, to on in about 5 seconds.