IMDb > "What Not to Wear" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"What Not to Wear"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"What Not to Wear" More at IMDbPro »

Possibly the best reality show on television

Author: mwhitmore03 from Massachusetts
27 January 2006

This is one of the only reality shows I can stomach. Unlike many reality shows that are completely gratuitous and basically smutty, this show has excellent results. I feel the hosts, Clinton Kelly and Stacy London, are fantastic. Though some of the things they say about the contestant's clothes are very critical (and often hilarious), they never denigrate the person's body or personality. They are there to help the person and almost every person who appears on the show is amazed at how good he or she looks at the end of the experience. Some complain that the show forces people into some "cookie cutter" style that reduces creativity and expression. However, that is hardly the case. Clinton and Stacy go out of their way to find clothes that fit the person's individual shape, size, and wardrobe needs. In addition, many of the contestants do need a makeover in a sense they are not dressing in a way that is appropriate for their professional lives. There is nothing wrong with helping someone look better and feel more comfortable in their own skin as well as help their career by giving them a more professional image. Long live What Not to Wear!

Love It

Author: supermollie33 from United States
4 February 2005

The author of the another comment regarding this show failed to mention that the men and women feel much better about themselves after their makeovers. It is not all personal style. Some people get stuck in a rut or have no fashion sense and really do not know how bad they look. No one wants to look bad no matter what their personal style is. The stylists always try to take the "victims" own sensibilities into account while updating them. Some of the people only dress bad because they do not have the money to spend on clothes, and if that were me, I would welcome $5000 and a chance to shop in NY. I do think they went a little crazy on the pointy toed shoes last season which I hate regardless of trend, but all in all the show is fun, and educational for people who are unaware of what shapes, cuts, and fabrics flatter their figures.

This show is not only good, but NEEDED

Author: askinner1601
4 May 2005

Thank you, Clinton and Stacy. Almost every single person they make over is in dire need of help. It never ceases to amaze me what some people will wear in public. I've seen tons of other fashion/makeover shows, and this one is the best, hands down. Clinton and Stacy take into account the person's individual tastes (as much as possible, anyway)and figure shape and incorporate that into today's styles. They can definitely be a little harsh sometimes, but that's what makes it interesting to watch! And very rarely do I see someone that doesn't look 100% better at the end of the show. Hear hear, Clinton and Stacy, for improving the lives through improving the looks of people all across the country!

Stacy and Clinton are the greatest

Author: blanche-2 from United States
27 May 2005

This is a great show, and I can't agree with the "anything but cruelty free" poster at all. The people helped by Stacy and Clinton have heightened self-esteem after their makeovers and present themselves in their careers much more professionally. Stacy and Clinton help the individual integrate his or her own personality into what they wear without looking like throwback hippies, hookers, older than they really are, or survivalists. If you like mixing patterns, Stacy and Clinton mix patterns. If you like loud colors, they fit that into the wardrobe. Some of the transformations have been amazing. I've had many favorites, but one that sticks in my mind is the young woman who had been a fashion plate until she had her baby. After that, it was strictly sweat pants. Stacy and Clinton aided her in adapting to her slightly changed body and refinding her fashion plate self. When she walked out in a black dress and heels while holding her baby, she looked incredibly beautiful. But all of the people on this show have walked away looking amazing and ready to start a new journey.

This Show is GREAT!(mentions some show info!-spoiler i guess)

Author: texasfan from United States
1 April 2005

First off, you can always turn down the makeover-and they've had one person do it. Read their website. Second, men do it too. Third, well, just because you like it doesn't mean its good-one girl was wearing tube tops to work in her office because she just didn't know any better...! These guys do a great service, and the tips they've given have helped me out a lot-I always feel great when I see someone with my body type (a little heavier I suppose) get a makeover-it helps me see that I can also look great :)...

I also like the UK version-sometimes being harsh is what's needed...and if you read their books/bios, the UK ladies happily talk about their own past foibles/fashion mistakes...

Currently I think Clinton and Stacey both do a great job of building the person up and letting them know they deserve to look their absolute best because of what a great person they are-I really like this show and look forward to it each week!

One of my Must-watch shows

Author: squallie from United States
3 June 2006

Stacy and Clinton......I don't even know what to say about them. They are absolutely fantastic on this show. They are funny, witty, and really down-to-earth. They don't criticize a person's body, but instead, help them to make it look best. That is probably what I admire most about this show. There is always someone who appears with the same body type and there is always someone you can relate to. This show wouldn't be known without Stacy and Clinton.

I mean, TLC is The Learning Channel right? And this show, IMO is what makes TLC. That and Little People, Big World. Hats off to Stacy, Clinton, Carmindy and Nick. They have made many people feel confident, beautiful and last but not least, STYLISH.

Entertaining and Educational

Author: quincy_02170 from Boston
20 May 2006

What was the idiot watching when she/he made the comment about this show being awful? I've only begun watching this show this season, and all I can say is how helpful and passionate Clinton and Stacy are towards their fashion victims. Often times, they do make cracks, but it's always about the person's fashion sense, and NEVER about the person. There are many clueless people out there, myself included, when it comes to wearing clothes that truly flatter one's figure. Yes, it's arguable that there's maybe too much "cookie-cutter" and "conformist" views of fashion, but it doesn't take away from this show still being very educational (and entertaining).

I love their sarcastic and very dry sense of humor. There's a huge difference between being sarcastic for entertainment purposes and being downright mean and cruel, which they're not. The original UK version of this show is actually even more brutal, as the Brits/Europeans are famous for being no holds barred. And that show is still showing and has been wildly successful! As for this US version, I haven't seen a show yet where the participant walked away not feeling better about herself. Besides, you get flown to NYC, given $5,000 for new clothes, AND are given a hair and facial makeover. If you were to get a haircut from Nick Arrojo, you'd be paying through the roof! What's not to like?

Not so sure about the hosts

Author: Basias Wieliczko from The Hague
30 April 2016

I really enjoy watching shows with the make overs, they truly change people's lives.In this show I do not understand all the dramatic and exaggerated comments from the hosts. Why are they so mean?? I really think that if you want to wear classy clothes, you need to behave so to match them. The hosts wear pretty clothes, but they talk like street dogs. There was a girl that liked wearing flip flops a lot - it was a favorite part of her wardrobe. The hosts got the wood chopper to the studio and threw all the flip flops in there. Which part of it was supposed to represent a constructive comment? I can imagine they had fun, and the show was great, but personally I found it really immature of them. I mean how would you feel if I took a part of your favorite clothing and use them to make beds for homeless dogs and ask you to help me (!) as that's the best I could think of?

..and for the love of God, Stacey - please stop swearing, are you 16 to express your feelings this way?

Quality Show

Author: TamPalm from United States
13 February 2009

I was late to this party, but I'm glad I found it. Now I've been a fan for the past year and half or so. If you're leery of reality TV like me, don't be afraid to watch this show. It's not superficial or mindless. It's very constructive for the most part and you come to trust the expertise of the two hosts. The only down side is the hair stylist, he rarely makes contestants' hair look better, I don't think he "reads" his clients well or helps enhance their features. He's the only weak link of the show, the rest is great! Even if you think you're already a fashionista, I think you'll find it entertaining to see how these people get made over. And if you're a fashion misfit, this show can definitely help you in the educational department. Not perfect, but darn close, so I'm giving it a 9.

completely awful.

Author: lordofthefries-1 from United States
4 December 2010

If someone followed me around and secretly videotaped me, and then tried to embarrass me in front of all my colleagues in order to pressure me into submitting to their attempts to force me into a lifestyle not my own...yeah, I'd be making a beeline for my lawyer to see if I could sue them for invasion of privacy. Screw this show. Not everyone wants to spend hundreds of dollars on clothes. And why should we, when it's possible to get things that look just as good and are more comfortable for so much cheaper? I don't think I've seen a single flat shoe on this show, ever. They had one with a woman who worked backstage at a theater and had to do a bunch of physical work, and they took her out of her nice, practical shoes and stuck strappy little high heels on her feet. What the hell?