IMDb > The Onion Movie (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Onion Movie

The Onion Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A string of skits, loosely woven into a back plot

Author: emdoub (emdoub@gmail.com) from United States
5 June 2008

Very much like _Kentucky Fried Movie_ in construction, with most of the skits presented as news stories or commercials, in a plot about a news station that's been recently taken over by a giant corporation. Some bits are funnier than others, with a few running gags that recur throughout the movie.

Don't expect the most brilliant bits from the paper to be transformed into movie bits - it's closer to one of their good issues being written into a movie, with brilliant bits, so-so bits, and annoying bits.

Sure to offend almost anyone who's looking to be offended, it's just as sure to amuse anyone who's looking to be amused. I've seen far worse entertainment this year.

you ain't got the balls...

Author: video_game_lover_122 from United States
30 May 2008

the onion movie. 90 minutes of pure news based on satire, and fake news. how is 90 minutes used to keep you focused and entertained? very cleverly, and that is what the onion movie did. What this movie does that makes it so great, it sticks to what it says it's going to do; It keeps you entertained and to be laughed at, including pushing the rating(which if you get the unrated, it's better), but it has all of your typical humor about blacks, Irish, nerds, sex, etc. but not overly used, which a lot of comedies use as a crutch. As this movie progresses you will eventually see a preview of the "infamous" Steven segall, as "cockpuncher" which is used through out the movie. it's cheesy, and funny without being over the top. The news is actually something to take into an effect as something that could be used today. that is fake news at it's peak. this movie is what it says it is going to be. so when/if you get a chance, rent this movie, sit back, laugh your face off, and enjoy 90 minutes of pure unadulterated humor. 5/5-go pick up this movie.. or at least rent it.

American Humo(u)r.

Author: rainybeetle from Greenock, Scotland
15 June 2008

I have just watched this movie and it was one of the funniest films I have ever seen. I believe this film got bad reviews in America. It has often been said that the UK doesn't understand the US humour and vice versa. I would just like to point out that this movie has hit the spot where UK humour is. This is a seriously great movie and if it was marketed well in the UK it would be a triumph. Well done ONION.

We gave you 'The Office' and you are finally understanding that kind of understated comedy. The Onion Movie has made me more determined to look out for more American comedy like this.

Never mind what all those stuffy critics say (as parodied)... this is a great watch.

Monty Python, American Style

Author: scoochie9 from United States
26 June 2008

This movie possesses that rarest of combinations: utter brilliance and unbridled stupidity. Obviously, nothing can compare to Monty Python's Flying Circus, but The Onion Movie's creators were plainly big fans of that show, and succeeded in delivering "something completely different".

While this movie is chock full of current-societal satire (which Python never was), it uses the clever segues to new scenes, the reappearance of characters you'd just about forgotten, and the absolute Absurdity (it has to be capitalized!) that those wonderful Brits mastered decades ago.

The Onion Movie is not a regular movie. If you insist on plot, and/or are easily offended, this movie is not for you. But if you're in the mood for laughing about cultural stereotypes, or people with enough humor to parody themselves (you rock Steven Seagal!), or just enjoying the ride through countless ridiculously silly situations (God bless you, Armed Gunman), you might want to take a peek at The Onion Movie.

Do you have the balls?

Must have been written just for me

Author: teezeCrost from Canada
23 June 2008

There are very few movies that can actually blindside me with a punchline. The Onion Movie did that repeatedly. The plot is very light, and this makes the movie even more enjoyable, I think. But not only is it light, it's also very relevant and critical of the common practices of mass media now-a-days. This movie pulls off a lot of what idiocracy only kind-of succeeded at. From the Hasselhoff bit to the mid-show Asian review to the d&d sketch, the Onion Movie is a rare breath of fresh air!

I won't include a url, but there's a pretty funny audio review on the hotcakes podcast (episode 9) if anyone cares to search it out.

No story yet still very funny.

Author: timb75 from United States
1 June 2008

This movie isn't so much a movie as it is a collection of skits. There is no real story what so ever. That being said viewers who enjoy plot and a rich story may not enjoy this movie. That aside this is a very funny movie. I found myself laughing quite a bit. The skits aren't over the top silly or cheesy but more stereotypical humor playing on pop-culture. It's basically a spoof of the evening news. If you enjoy movies like "Scary Movie" or "Anchorman" and TV programing such as "MADtv", satirical news shows such as "The Colbert Report" and "The Daily Show (with Jon Stewart)". Chances are you will really enjoy this movie. Don't be fooled by my vote of 7. For what it's worth it was a great film.

Very Entertaining and Great Fun

Author: jshelm from United States
26 July 2008

This film was a great deal of fun to watch, however the humor is not for everyone. I have been a fan of "The Onion" website for years and find the content (on the web) varies considerably in quality and is to some extent,a function of the mood you are in at the time. I would characterize this film as falling into the same category, i.e. gut busting humor that will leave you crying and other bits that fall flat. This shows the difficulty in translating a great website with really good satirical content to film. Some of the humor is very caustic and biting satire and requires you to be fairly open minded; there are some excellent pokes at politics, PC behavior, global conflicts and popular culture that are in the news today. I really enjoyed this film and would not recommend it for those under the age of 16.

Laughing so hard I needed the pause button

Author: shep0709 from United States
30 June 2008

One of--if not THE--funniest movie I've ever seen. Didn't even know they had a movie out until I saw this in the video store. The first half moves along quickly, so be sure to keep the pause button near. I replayed that first half afterward and laughed even harder the second time. I won't spoil, but if anyone is old enough to remember Goofus and Gallant from the children's' Highlights magazine (is that still in existence?), you will die over a certain part of this movie. A few portions reminded me of Monty Python. The spoofs on stereotypes, the media, and numerous movies are non-stop; right up to the ridiculously contrived, flag-waving, moralistic "happy ending", which, of course, spoofs nearly every movie made today. Priceless!

This onion will make you cry tears of laughter.

Author: David Easthope from Canada
31 May 2008

I've always loved The Onion News. Their ability to report with such fervor on the banal, the useless, and the ridiculous has never ceased to amaze me. It was the same in this movie. Take a semi-believable news studio cast and crew and throw at them a world turned upside- down and you have the makings of The Onion Movie. A house bursts into flames and The Onion news-van is the first to report to the other side of the street to do a cover article about a pair of missing socks. The lyrics of a teen pop sensation obvious akin to a certain Ms. Spears are taken into question and a stern-faced reporter is forced to sit in an interview with this certain "Melissa Cherry" while she extols the high virtues of her poetry and her on- screen antics, while each song's content escalates to that much higher of a racy subject. The movie is so dry and so earnest in its ability to extol every delightful scoop on the bland and unimaginative that you begin to laugh simply because it's such a biting view into the monotonous everyday procedures we are all bound to. Take these wonderful bittersweet newscasts and spice them up with the occasional series of well-written skits between them, including a felon holding up a bank and "stealing" a job, and you have the delicious, stale pastry of clever banality that is The Onion Movie.

This movie is the reason you laugh when the joke isn't even funny. I loved it.

Nothing in comparison to the onion.com

Author: eastendthug from United Kingdom
2 June 2008

I am a huge fan of satire sites such as onion.com, daily mash.co.UK and news biscuit.com etc, however the movie never quite succeeds in its level of humour as its website does, granted there are some great laugh out loud moments but there are a few too many sketches that run for a tad too long.

It is unfair to criticize some of the movies sketches as being dated as the movie was produced over 5 years ago then shelved, I'm pretty sure due to fan demand that they decided to release it.

If your a fan of the website be sure to check it out but don't get your hopes up, the viral videos on the website are much better and better paced.

i give this 6 out of 10