IMDb > Adam and Eve (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Adam and Eve

Adam and Eve More at IMDbPro »

I just saw this horrid excuse for a National Lampoon movie................

Author: adle0103 (adle0103@aol.com) from Farmington Hills, Michigan
16 February 2006

I admit when it comes to watching straight to video National Lampoon movies nowadays, it's expected to be something zany for the average couch stoner to watch on a Saturday when there's nothing else to do. This was advertised as a "Hilarious comedy in the spirit of Animal House and Van Wilder", and anyone who has seen Adam & Eve knows that we've been duped. Duped to no end. There were no laugh out loud moments of hilarity. The editing was horrid, the dialogue was horrid, and the music montages were too often. We get it, she's a virgin and needs to ponder if she's ready, while thinking back to the moments she felt secure with him... But did they need 8 separate montages throughout the movie to say it? That part killed me worse than the fact that this "abstinance love story" was nothing more than a way for someone to tag the National Lampoon name to a bad flick that most likely needed to recoup as much of it's low budget as possible. I guarantee there will be a lot of horndogs hoping for boobies and hi-jinx to grab it from the shelves, only to be disappointed when nothing funny or exciting happens well into the film. I sat through it, cringing and bored, hoping for a possible "hilarious" catchphrase to use one day. All I got was lethargic, disappointed, and an ending to a movie that sucked as bad as the main character's blue balls.

Definitely not National Lampoon

Author: Sard_O_Niks from United States
15 February 2006

If you check the other comments, you'll hear about this being a great romantic comedy. It's not. As a romantic comedy, it barely passes muster. The laughs are few and far between, the plot is completely formulaic, and the only thing "National Lampoon" about this film is the title. Douglas is wooden as Adam, although Chriqui is very convincing as Eve. The frat-house shenanigans are tame beyond belief when compared to other Lampoon college movies, and the girl waiting for the perfect time to toss in her V-card is an old theme that isn't freshened in any way by this film. After great National Lampoon titles like "Van Wilder", "Animal House", and the "Vacation" movies, this one feels like the first attempt of someone straight out of film school.

Don't waste your money or time

Author: Heath Dunn (heathdunn@gmail.com) from Australia
13 May 2006

My girlfriend and I picked this movie up at the video store thinking to ourselves "This should be funny, National Lampoon is genuinely funny for those boring afternoons". We were sorely disappointed.

From the get-go, this movie looks like it could have potential. No. Stop thinking that. The acting is horrid, the jokes are not funny (I can't even think of a moment where I laughed, nor my girlfriend). We sat in disbelief as we waited for a joke to come, or possibly this movie to even get better - but no. The "National Lampoon" name was obviously tagged on so someone would actually watch this. Well that worked.

To sum this up, I watched the rest of this movie hoping for something funny (my girlfriend walked off and did something more constructive), something to justify the $5 I wasted on this. In the end, this one found its way back to the video store and I insisted that the movie was scratched so I could get another movie that would redeem that $5. Don't watch this movie, unless you're looking at how "not" to make a movie.

This is not the comedy that it was labeled to be.

Author: sonedai from United States
23 August 2006

This is not the "wildly hilarious" comedy that was promised on the DVD cover. This is a relationship movie that has very few funny moments. I was expecting something along the lines of Van Wilder, but this movie is pretty serious.

However, the acting isn't bad, and I found myself actually caring about what happened to the characters, though I think I would have enjoyed the story more if they had left out Adam's disgusting house mates. But the gross factor goes along with the National Lampoon tag, I guess.

Overall, not bad if you have nothing better to watch. But if you're looking for something funny, you get more laughs out of RV. Seriously.

this movie sucked

Author: lotsoluv928 from United States
13 March 2006

I loved National Lampoon's Van Wilder and Animal House so I thought "Oh, this must be an awesome movie!!" When me and my friend started it, we thought the beginning must be a lead in and the plot would start taking off soon. Unfortunately, this bullshit made up the entire movie. The acting in this movie was horrible-the guy couldn't act to save his life and is using his father's name to actually get parts in Hollywood. The girl's performance was okay, but she has basically screwed over her entire reputation because she chose to be in this movie. If you know what's right for you and don't want to waste $5 at Blockbusters, never ever rent and watch this movie.

A B grade B movie

Author: BentSpoon from United States
10 February 2007

No one expects a movie with National Lampoon in the title to be high theater, but most National Lampoon movies are funny in a low brow way. "Adam and Eve" couldn't cut the mustard. Emmanuelle Chriqui is GORGEOUS, but that alone couldn't save the movie. The love story is sweet, and the chaste Eve is treated in a respectful way, but the script wasn't funny, the supporting characters were not funny. George Dzundza, who I remember fondly from his Law and Order days, was wasted in this film. The male lead seemed too stoned and apathetic to care about anyone. Thank God this movie was on Starz and I didn't have to pay for a ticket.

OK film but it is not National Lampoon Material

Author: gemstones from Sydney, Australia
19 February 2006

When I think of National Lampoon I think of school-boy jokes, smut, innuendo, gross-out scenes and heaps of gratuitous flesh, beer and stupidity. It's the kind of thing I found outrageously funny at 13 (and still do 40 years later). There is scarcely any need for acting because the "actors" are playing themselves. But Adam and Eve is not like that. It has a plot, it has some character development, it even has some real acting in it. I enjoyed the basic premise of the story even if it has been done a hundred times before. It's an old theme, and it can do with re-examining on a regular basis as society changes (or doesn't). It had a few (relatively tame) gross-out scenes and some funnyish scenes but mostly it had what no National Lampoon should ever have: subtlety. Not great cinema, but a bit of good fun.

Surprisingly good

Author: SanteeFats from United States
19 August 2013

I find most of the National Lampoon movies outside of the American Pie's to be really sophomoric but watchable. This one is not all that funny although it has it's moments, but it is a lot better written and acted than their usual. There are some sophomoric jokes and pranks but the main focus is on a college boy (Adam) and a virgin college girl (Eve) who start dating. As the physical intimacy ramps up she always stops him before there is a home run. They do progress to where she only has panties on in one scene but he still can't slide home. After over nine months of whacking it he gets drunk one night and wakes up with a naked girl named Patty in his bed. He starts to pee with pain, goes to the doctor, finds out it is a urinary infection. Meanwhile Eve has been talking with a fellow sister who is also a sister and she decides to finally go all the way with Adam. Eve goes to his room to do the deed and Adam refuses to have sex because he has not yet found out he does not have an STD. She finds out about his indiscretion and gets rather upset. They stay apart for an unspecified time during which Adam finds out about his infection and that he and Patty did not actually do the dirty deed. After more chats with Sarah Eve finally figures out she can forgive Adam and goes over and gee they Git-R-Done. I found this movie to be a cut above most college dating movies in the way the whole relationship between Adam and Eve is handled. Sure Adam gets horny as hell from the cuddling and spit swapping but will only abuse himself and is willing to wait for Eve to decide when the time is right. Until the Patty event and then even drunk on his ass he wouldn't do more than sleep with her not "sleep" with her. Anyway everything seems to end well.

What the.............????????

Author: benhuntnever from United States
8 February 2013

Sometimes there is a reason that you have never heard of a particular title and this is one of those times. I never heard of this movie so I decided to give it a go. My mistake. Don't let the National Lampoon tag fool you, it sucks. It was about as funny as stubbing your toe on the coffee table. At least stubbing your toe quits hurting, this movie doesn't though. I did give it two stars just because there was a really hot "almost" sex scene with a girl named Patty.

I marked this review as having a spoiler because of mentioning the "almost" sex scene but believe me I am saving you the time of having to watch the movie to see it. This movie is definitely going to the crap stack.

Romp stomp and snore

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
11 October 2011

Love hits you like a frying pan - hard and fast. Adam (Cameron Douglas), student / rocker / pizza delivery boy living the life with a bunch of extreme slobs, falls head over heels for Eve (Emmanuelle Chriqui) a down-to-earth diligent university chic with one fatal flaw: she is a virgin and has no immediate intention to change that. After months of going out Adam is still stuck in second base with blue balls and not even a hope for a BJ...

National Lampoon is renowned for the wacky in-your-face comedy focused mostly on the trials and tribulations of college students. Farcical and unrated its not supposed to be intelligent or overly thoughtful. Renting a movie with the logo on it basically suggests pure unadulterated fun with no intellectual strings attached.

This straight to DVD movie lacks any of the above. It lacks any sincere comedic effort, basically flooring it with knock-knock level jokes and disgusting sexual frat boy humour. The movie attempts therefore to delve more into creating a romantic drama with comedic interludes, but the story drags on with varying levels of clichéd crappiness. Only Chriqui does a commendable job at acting, whilst the rest give portrayals unworthy of high-school theatre.

Naturally all this could be forgiven had the movie been funny enough to distract from the overall ineptitude, but as mention the comedy is probably the weakest element in it. As such this is an unredeemable waste of time.