IMDb > A Lot Like Love (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Lot Like Love

A Lot Like Love More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great movie - funny, romantic and poignant

Author: s_oneale from Canada
8 May 2005

From the majority of other comments written about this film, it would seem that there are a lot of bitter, cynical people out there.

I watched this film last night with my wife and we both loved it - we laughed a lot, and thought the 2 main characters perfectly complimented each other - their chemistry was wonderful and utterly endearing, and you actually gave a sh*t about what happened to them.

Maybe I'm a sucker for a good romantic comedy, but I'm astounded by the negative comments posted on this site. Some posts criticise the dialogue, but, well, isn't that just how people actually speak? I generally do not give out lengthy monologues re: my emotional state, and can appreciate a movie that deals in real language. It doesn't make the film any less appealing or worthwhile.

Go and see it with an open mind and, if you have a heart, then you'll love it.

Reel Love: a Lot Like Real Life

Author: Half_the_Audience from New York City
14 May 2005

Perhaps this film won't inspire the twenty-something folks at whom it was marketed. They might not appreciate its message, after all, when you're young, life stretches out before you like an eternity. But if you're over 30 and haven't found that perfect person to share your life with, it might really touch you...

This is the most romantic movie I have seen in years. As a regular armchair film critic who happens to love romantic comedies but finds the quality of most to be sorely lacking, I usually start to gnaw away at a film within the first five minutes. But A Lot Like Love immediately embarks on a tortuous journey of love's most confounding mileposts. The fireworks, the mystery, the seduction, the retreat... A guy who wants to get "all his ducks in a line," and a gal who deals with whatever happens to come her way, help each other loosen up their respective rigid perspectives on how life should be lived.

The chemistry between Oliver and Emily percolates over a span of nearly seven years but neither lets it come to a full boil lest it ruin their plans. Kutcher and Peet each deliver endearing performances and actually play against the urge to gratuitously combust making for just the right emotional veracity and sexual tension to keep it real. No "just add water" instant love here. These two take their time to fall into the soup.

This film is certainly easy to look at what with the hip modern beauty of both of its stars decorating every shot. The fly-on-the-wall perspective of watching these two people awkwardly and trepidaciously flirt with what might be, kept my attention rapt, and experiencing it in the moment, I can honestly say that I did not know what was going to happen next.

If anyone has ever had that "friend" that you've know for years, you know you have feelings for them, appreciate their loyalty, and take their bad with their good (because after all, you're "just friends"), but have spent years keeping an eye out for something better, or just not taken that "next step" because of geography, peer-pressure, or fear of rejection, you will appreciate the honesty and sentiment of this story.

You'll definitely get a refresher course in the fact that life is indeed short and a lot can happen when you're not paying attention. Enjoy every moment you can, and take some risks or you'll be looking back on an awful lot of regret. A Lot Like Love is funny and sad, playful and poignant, and was over before I wanted it to be. For me, this movie is a lot like life.

Light romantic comedy, but...

Author: MelJJ123
2 May 2005

Gosh darn it, I liked it. Did I think it was a cinematic masterpiece - definitely not, but who really expected that anyway? What we have here is a cutesy formulaic light romantic comedy. I laughed and walked out with a smile. Will I remember it in a year, probably not, but thats OK. I'd also like to comment on a post I read here, where the writer was 'distressed' by the characters in this film displaying VERY antiquated and unhip desires - like, dare I say it... wanting to secure a successful career, find love, and get married by age 30. Wow, can you imagine people nowadays feeling that way?! I personally find it 'distressing' to think that we live in a society where having traditional desires is made to be odd. I'm in my 20s and know many other people who are looking for these same things. So go figure, I actually found this perspective in a modern film refreshing.

Good movie for those that enjoy passion

Author: vanclanoregon from United States
10 March 2006

Probably the best romantic comedy my wife and I have seen in twenty years. Although we have always been a fan of Ashton Kutcher, this movie separates from his previous achievements. His chemistry with Amanda Peete is more believable than any other actress he has performed with. You actually fall into to the story as someone you might have known in life, whether it was a friend or someone that remains in your thoughts from years past.

To knick-pick the movie on plot or commercialization is to miss the writers passion for what he/she is trying to convey. Take the movie for what it is at face value and that is to travel through their relationship in all the what-if's, all the heart breaks and joys. If you let yourself do that you will enjoy a great story with someone you at one time shared the same passion with. -Curt & Tam

Fall In Love With A Lot Like Love

Author: Christy Goodman (christygoodman1@yahoo.com) from Indiana
24 May 2005

Strike three was that he was born under the astrological sign of cancer. Strike two was that he didn't play the guitar. But what was strike one? In baseball, you have three strikes and you're out. They wanted to play the game that way, but could never seem to never figure it out.

Over the course of seven years, you fall in love watching Oliver "Ollie" Martin (Ashton Kutcher) and Emily Friehl (Amanda Peet)'s acquaintanceship turn into a friendship then turn into a relationship. But whenever something remotely beings to happens, a disturbance occurs and we are left at step one. Will their feelings overcome it all or will it all fall apart like each time they tried through the past seven years?

Direction under Nigel Cole won't tell you much. He has directed very few films including Calendar Girls in 2003 and Saving Grace in 2000. Periodically, he has directed television series between 1982 and 1998.

Cinematographically, this was well done and interesting. Camera movement was consistent and advanced. I came across great angles with nice transitions, making the movie more enjoyable.

The acting in this movie was stunningly one of the strongest features of it all. The interaction between Kutcher (The Butterfly Effect, Guess Who) and Peet(Identity, The Whole Nine Yards) was unexpected and almost mind-blowing. As for all of you chemistry students out there, for the record, Kutcher and Peet had excellent chemistry between the two. It would be very difficult to co-star with Kutcher (and pull it off) as well as Peet did. The appearances of other big names really supported the acting foundation. The best friends, Kathryn Hahn (Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days) and Kal Penn(Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle, Malibu's Most Wanted) were great supporting actors. Also, Ali Larter (Final Destination), Taryn Manning (Crossroads), Gabriel Mann (The Life of David Gale) and Jeremy Sisto (Clueless) added their unique spice to the movie.

On a more negative note, there were times when I found myself thinking "What are the odds?" It's not everyday that events like this happen to average Joe.I know, I know it's a movie, but some things in this motion picture were a little unrealistic and immature–for a movie. In addition, some of the writing, though in a "normal" sense for everyday life, seemed wrong for the occasion or event at the time. For what it was worth, all together, it was shaping.

I feel as though the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) stretched the rope on this rating. This PG-13 seemed dangerously close to a higher rating. There was sexual content, nudity and language with a significant amount of drinking and drug content. Although the rating was suitable, it was a higher level of PG-13.

Like many other teeny bopper chick flicks, this movie can be compared to a group of other movies. If you liked Whatever It Takes, Can't Hardly Wait, Spanglish or Brown Sugar, you may become attached to this motion picture.

If you are looking for a "great date movie," I would recommend this film. It has proportioned humor, romance and drama for any teenage audience. The guys will like it, too! If you've ever experienced love–or some form of love–this movie will particularly strike you.

For me it was great!

Author: lumierepleine from Spain
30 October 2005

I don't know why this movie is so underrated...I think it reflects perfectly how love could be in the real life. Maybe some people prefer depth monologues...but those things only happen in the mind of a writer.I Think the chemistry between the two main characters is awesome...I love Amanda Peet and Ashton Kutcher is very funny. Let's see those kind of movies without prejudices. I don't have anything else to say really...but if I don't make 10 lines i can post my message..So...Maybe, I can't talk about the weather...a nice conversation for lift times....Sunny here, but with some nasty clouds...that's OK? Good night fellas!

what can i say, i liked this movie.

Author: Joeyy from Canada
9 January 2006

A lot like love deals with issues in real life. There are many people out there who feel pressured with the "master plan" of having a career, a wife/ husband by the age of 30. The movie is well acted by Amanda Peet not to mention she looks stunning, and though Ashton Kutcher does overact some scenes he delivers a believable character. The problem with the movie was that you don't have enough time to really bond with the characters, and even though this isn't an amazing movie, it is still a good movie and i enjoyed it. The songs in the movie really did help with the mood. This movie did have much more potential but the writing wasn't as good as it could have been. My opinion is this movie is more for romantics, but its still good for the other people too.

Not at all a rip off but instead a good movie that echoes "When Harry Met Sally"

Author: Ricardo Camacho from United States
23 October 2005

It is true that the way this movie was shot it did seem similar to the Billy Crstal and Meg Ryan romantic comedy. But everyone forgets that Hollywood rips everything off all the time. This film manages to keep the watcher interested and makes you feel for it's characters.

Ashton Kutcher is usually very unwatchable, but in this picture he helps create a shy and ambitious lead in Oliver Martin. Oliver is a dreamer who puts all his energy in creating a internet company to sell diapers. Then there's the always animated Amanda Peet as Emily. Emily from early on tries to push Oliver to explore life. Ashton and Amanda make a great team on camera and also have great chemistry when it comes to the more emotional parts of the movie.

Overall "A Lot Like Love" is a great romantic comedy with real heart and is really worth watching.

Great movie !

Author: Savo Bojovic from Yugoslavia
15 December 2005

I think that "A lot like love" is a great movie for a person aged like me. I think that the story is great. I have to say that i would like something like this to happen to me because it's really incredible. It's a great movie for you and your girl in the cinema. This movie made Ashton Kutcher one of my favorite actors. He's such a good actor for teenage movies. There's many good scenes in the movie.The best one is when Ashton is playing that Bon Jovi song on the guitar.No doubt about that.I liked that song so much,i even placed it on my computer.I wanted to say that this movie has a great soundtrack.I would recommend it to every person that wants a great movie for him and a girl.

Wished it was better.

Author: ekk2k from United States
24 April 2005

I had anticipated this movie as my generation's "When Harry Met Sally", as that is one of my favorite movies and "A Lot Like Love" seemed to be it! I do like Ashton Kutcher, especially when paired with above average actresses like Amanda Peet.

The movie wasn't horrible, it was cute, had a few heartfelt themes, wonderful chemistry, good performances and a story that should have promised two characters that you would never forget. Unfortunately, the plot didn't hold up, and in all, if the script had been better, all of these things could have been accomplished. It doesn't let you become as close to the characters as you'd like, no depth is depicted, and all though a few cutting edge dialogue scenes, it fails big time in the sharp conversational aspects that "When Harry Met Sally" thrives on.

It was disappointing, underwhelming, but if you feel you can relate to the characters, see it for a relaxing, think-free trip to the theater, as I did enjoy Ashton, perhaps out of my own bias, but he did what he could with the material and will make you fall in love with him.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]