Brokeback Mountain (2005) Poster

2,276 Reviews
Why did I wait for so long to see it?
diaghilev-19 February 2007
I don't know why! Well, I've finally managed to see Brokeback Montain this week and I couldn't sleep all night. I've had to watch it twice more and I feel like watching it every day. I had never read any comments here about this movie, so I can say I wasn't influenced by anybody – I actually didn't know what to expect. What can I say? It's amazing how my feelings are similar to those of most people here – I just can't get this story out of my head! I was probably a bit skeptical about the effectiveness of this film and its importance in the history of gay-themed pictures, but I've changed my mind completely. Now I do think it's probably one of the most interesting, fascinating and realistic stories about homosexual love ever told on screen. Ang Lee doesn't judge anyone in the story (and every character can be blamed or understood for something) and homosexuality is portrayed in one of its basic aspects: to feel love and desire for someone who is of the same sex. But I also agree with those who think it's not only about homosexuality. Actually this story involves many universal themes: love – of course, but also loneliness, failures, the crosses we have to bear in life, poverty. I feel like crying every time I think about Brokeback Mountain and, adding the great cinematography and the stunning acting from all the main players, I can definitely say it's one of my favorite movies – forever! I've always been melted by love stories (I should mention George Cukor's 'Camille' and Edmund Goulding's 'The Old Maid' among my favorite pictures) but no movie has ever exercised such a lasting impact on me, and I really feel changed after watching it (you know, I'm gay, so it's not about having prejudices against homosexual love). Here are some of my favorite scenes: -the violence and tenderness between Ennis and Jack when they have a fight just before leaving Brokeback Mountain for the first time; -their first kiss after four years – the most moving screen kiss I've ever seen; -their last quarrel, Ennis crying and recognizing the failures of his life but, most of all, the flashback showing Ennis hugging Jack and singing a sort of lullaby and Jack's face while he looks Ennis leaving with his horse – it broke my heart! -from this moment on, everything – Ennis's phone call to Jack's wife, visiting Jack's parents, until his last close up and his tearful promise to his lover.

Wonderful, but at the moment I feel as if I'll never be able to ease the pain it has caused to me – it's as if I didn't want to forget anything about it.
31 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overwhelming and an absolute must see.
matt-20442 August 2006
As many people have commented before about the need to talk about this film, I am sitting here, tears in my eyes not knowing how to explain how I feel.

This is only the third review I have ever written for a film anywhere and am glad that there are hundreds if not thousands of others who are feeling the same way.

Foe some inexplicable reason I didn't see this at the cinema but at home and in some ways I am glad as I don't believe I would have coped driving home afterwards.

There is no need for the words 'I love you' to be said by either Jack or Ennis. The looks they give each other all the way through the film are heart wrenching to say the least and when Jack watches Ennis leave for what would become the last time fading to the flashback then back again - I had to stop the film to compose myself to be able to carry on watching.

Throughout the film you hope with all your heart that things will turn out OK, that if they can hold on then time will allow them to be together but knowing full well that things wouldn't be OK and that the ending was not going to be happy.

The two actors as has been stated countless time are indeed superb and their portrayal of Jack and Ennis are delivered with a mesmerising touch that defies belief.

The way Heath Ledger portrayed Ennis and his descent into himself is masterful. His ability to show the opposites of family duty against what and whom he really wants is amazing and Jake Gyllenhaal delivers a performance that grips you and shakes you to your core.

As an aside, the Academy has, I believe, made a grave error by not giving this film the Oscar for best picture. One that I think will take a long time for many to forgive.

This is a film that will stay with me for a long time if not forever. The score, the scenery, the acting are all outstanding and has a depth too rarely seen nowadays in films.

Thank you for bringing us a film that will stay in our hearts and minds for a very very long time.

PS I believe Ennis said 'Jack, I swear...' at the end because he was making a promise to Jack to eventually get his ashes scattered on Brokeback Mountain.
30 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cinematic Splendour
prats_patra6 June 2006
Director Ang Lee takes care of every little detail in the movie. You notice that in the cloud arrangements and camera placements throughout the movie. When you go back to the scenes in the movie, the more you think about them, the more you realize the true meanings.

That said, here starts the real review---------- Entering the theater my expectations weren't that high and I thought that though it had got such good reviews it'll be one of those movies that will end up disappointing me. The story does unfold a little slowly but that really was essential to feel the emotions the characters are feeling. When they're up on the mountains you can really feel the loneliness and solitude in which Ennis and Jack are living in. Once they part ways the movie runs like a journey that one should definitely be a part of. Hours after you finish watching the movie, you can't help but think about the movie.

The actors have done a really good job portraying their roles. Each and every one of them whether its Randy Quaid or the female who plays Ennis's daughter. Obviously special references would go to Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Heath Ledger- It's like the character was created only for him to play it. He plays it so perfectly and flawlessly what you cannot imagine anyone else in his shoes.

Jake Gyllenhaal- His facial expressions!Sigh!!!!The really feel like making you cry sometimes and you feel the disappointment, anger and frustrations he maybe possibly feeling.

The movie gives you the liberty to think what you want of it and that's the problem with it because once you start thinking about it, you just can't stop.
26 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A jewel of a film.
dxmagique9 July 2006
I love this movie. Really love it. Haunting score, stunning cinematography, gripping performances, timeless tale--everything. People quibble about non-essentials. I'm female, middle-aged, hetero, and I defy you to tell me that the average straight guy is any more expressive than Ennis or any less needy than Jack. Or the average gal, either, straight or gay. Deeper than their sex, their sexuality, their religious, educational, economic or historic backgrounds, Jack and Ennis are two human beings living in the world as they find it--beautiful and indifferent at best, and as they find themselves--beautiful and flawed at best. Desire is desire. The desire for warmth, for connection, for any echo at all in the vastness of time and space, is shared by every human being ever to have lived. For me, the issue is not how repressed or thwarted Ennis and Jack are, but how persistently they turn toward the light, despite all impediment. Brokeback Mountain lyrically retells a story thousands of years old: loss and grief are unavoidable; love is where you find it.
25 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well Written and a Must See
peterson45274 July 2006
When the subject first came up about this movie, all I kept hearing was "you honestly want to see a gay cowboy movie?" Yes, I wanted to see it, but after the preview was shown at another movie, I knew it was something I had to see. I saw the movie with my boyfriend, and I was moved and brought to tears.

The honesty of the subject matter was written in a way that was non-offensive and showed the public what real love is all about. Although there were parts I'm sure were offensive to some, to me it was shown in a loving and beautiful way. The bond between the two main characters was so real; it made me want to be a part of it and know exactly how these two lives were changed. And I know they were. They shared something special and ended up as lifelong friends.

I would personally recommend this movie to anyone – it will change how you view people and situations that are different from what you are used to. I am very comfortable around gay people, having friends and family that are. And this movie only showed me more of the reason why these people should be able to live their lives to the fullest and in anyway they see fit without the discrimination and hatred that the world has for them.

Ang Lee - I congratulate you on an honest portrayal through a beautiful film. Keep the great work and bring more like it. I am now a fan for life.
24 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Cold Harsh Mountain
zephyr24-118 February 2006
Brokeback Mountain Directed by Lee Ang Screenplay adapted by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana Based on the short story by Annie Proulx

Starring Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anne Hathaway & Michelle Williams

Having read the original short story by Proulx a few years ago, I was surprised by how well a tale of love between two cowboys set against a panoramic Wyoming backdrop was told. When I learned that the 60-page short story would become a film directed by celebrated director Lee Ang, I hoped it would be made soon.

By now, most people would have associated Brokeback Mountain with gay forbidden love. The truth is, Brokeback Mountain is just a very simple tale of arduous love and anyone with an ounce of emotion should watch.

The union of director Lee Ang, scriptwriters Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, and the cast results in one of the most exquisite and endearing films made in the last few years.

Lee Ang possesses the talent for slow, intricate and subtle film direction. He pays attention to almost every aspect from simple small gestures to complex emotional strife set against the magnificent mountain view.

McMurtry and Ossana also adapted the story faithfully except for the fact that the two male leads were originally much less desirable than Ledger and Gyllenhaal with bucked-tooth and stocky bodies.

The assembled cast is the third link which leads the film to flight. Heath Ledger, the stoic straight-man type is caught unexpectedly in a tangled web of emotions for a fellow cowboy, something that had never crossed his less-than-queer mind. A man of few words, Ledger plays Ennis to perfection when he displays the inner turmoil that Ennis encountered trying to live his life the way it is and learning to love Jack. Every time Ledger breaks down and cries in the film, it's when you'll feel him.

Jake Gyllenhaal is the hopeful companion who prays for the day that the union could yield the type of permanence he so craved for instead of "one or two of high-altitude f**ks once or twice in a year." And he waited for 20 years until the audience shares his anguish and unfulfilled yearnings by the time he lashed out on what they ever have left is Brokeback Mountain.

Michelle Williams plays the silent, long-suffering wife who witnessed the earth-shattering and ultimately heartbreaking kiss shared between Ennis and Jack after 4 years of separation. Williams is exceptionally sorrowful, swallowing her unspoken hurt until she could hold it no more that she wanted to hear the truth out of Ennis' mouth years after her remarriage. Williams' acting prowess is certainly validated by the expression she showed at the instance of that unexpected kiss and the heart-wrenching exchange with Ledger.

Anne Hathaway plays a rich girl whose expertise is in making money not relationships. Given her short screen time, her change from a brash rich girl to a high-society career woman and finally a emotionless and grieving widow expands her acting abilities beyond her impish Princess Diary-self.

Many unions, liaisons and break-ups later, Brokeback Mountain emerges as a tragic yet bittersweet and endearing tale of love between four suffering people afflicted with varying degrees of attachment but all not willing to let go. To me, this suffices as more than a gay cowboy story. To enjoy Brokeback Mountain, an open mind and eyes are definitely pre-requisites. (A+)
24 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hire it or buy it. You won't be disappointed.
dmbarker19 July 2006
I never write reviews. Only read others. This time I feel it's time I stopped being lazy and actually gave my opinion.

Brokeback is a hell of a movie. Watched it with my teenage kids hoping I wouldn't feel the need to reach for a cushion. (Head honcho male and male underling in the wings, fairly conservative ..open minded females showing no interest to view the film, in the same audience)Silence at the end of the movie then positive review with excited debate rehashing the experience demonstrates on this occasion a top shelf movie.

The movie is a masterpiece of nuances. The director's vision has seen the characters explode onto the screen and reach into our very being. The sexual struggle is enthralling and captivating.

The beauty of the movie incorporates the picturesque scenery plus the understated reality of people doing their best to fit a world they are desperately trying to feel part of.

Hire it or buy it. You won't be disappointed.
23 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Should have won the Oscar (spoilers)
Ricky Roma9 July 2006
The 2006 Best Picture Oscar was contested, primarily, by two 'issue' pictures – one dealing with race, the other dealing with homosexuality. But while one used a heavy-handed approach to deal with its subject, the other told its story with skill and restraint. The heavy-handed film won.

Brokeback Mountain is always going to be derisively referred to as 'that gay cowboy movie' by the people who are predisposed towards disliking it, but even though people aren't used to male homosexuality being portrayed on the big screen in a non-comic way, it's really not a very revolutionary film - repressed love has been dealt with many times in cinema. But because it's two cowboys, the supposed embodiment of everything that is masculine, that are engaged in a passionate relationship, it takes on a novelty value and possesses a shock factor for those people who have been living under a rock and haven't realised that men have been bumming each other since the dawn of man. But thankfully the more worldly wise can just ignore the novelty and the supposed shock and enjoy a very good film.

The opening part of the film is a tad slow (but not excessively so) and sees Ennis (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) working on Brokeback Mountain, looking after a farmer's livestock. There are no overt signs of their relationship developing into something more than it is, but all the time there are little hints. There are the sidelong glances; the look Ennis gives as he looks up at the mountain, perhaps contemplating his colleague; and the small smiles of satisfaction Ennis gives when Jack horses about. But rather than develop slowly over time, things explode one night in their tent. The sex scene that follows isn't loving or tender, it's violent. It's maybe years of frustration and repression being released. But the morning after, quite understandably, is awkward, and Ennis rides off to think about what happened. One of the first things he sees is a sheep that has been ripped apart by a coyote. The visual encapsulates his situation. All the time he's been a sheep – he doesn't stand out – but now his true nature has been revealed and violent repercussions are a definite possibility. (And later Ennis tells the story of how his dad showed him the dead body of a gay man when he was a kid. The man was beaten and then had his penis ripped off.)

When Ennis and Jack next talk, Ennis declares that he's not queer (Jack says he isn't either). And they're both right. Calling someone queer is a way of saying someone's less of a man and less of a human being because they're attracted to their own sex. Such an assertion is ridiculous, but unfortunately a lot of people still think that way either out of ignorance or insecurity as regards their own sexuality. But Ennis and Jack, whatever their sexual orientation, are just men.

And after the two finish on Brokeback Mountain they return to their lives. For Ennis this means getting married (Jack gets married also). But although both have a crack at leading 'normal' lives they can't change how they feel and meet again. And the scene where they're reunited is a powerful one. The two guys meet outside Ennis' place, but seeing as they're out in the open, neither knows how to respond. But when they retreat to a corner where they think no one can see, they're watched by Ennis' wife. For them it's a moment of joy, but for her it's devastating – her world is shattered. And it's to the film's credit that it treats Ennis' wife so evenly. She doesn't become a bitter, vindictive woman, but at the same time she doesn't become a victim. The film never takes the easy way out.

But eventually the marriage deteriorates to the point that the couple get divorced (by the end Ennis only sleeps with his wife to procreate). And after that you have an excellent scene where the estranged family have Thanksgiving dinner. It's so awkward because Ennis' ex has a new husband. Everything is bubbling under the surface. And sure enough, in the kitchen, Ennis' ex admits that she knows about his homosexuality and a scuffle ensues.

But Jack has his own domestic hell to deal with, too. His father-in-law shows him no respect and interrupts their dinner to put a football game on the television for Jack's son to watch. "We don't eat with our eyes," he says. "You want your son to grow up to be a man, don't you?" But Jack asserts himself and shows the stupid old geezer who the real man of the house is.

However, as much as the two guys would rather be with each other than their loathsome relatives, they have to make do with monthly 'fishing' trips. Only here do they experience genuine contentment. But eventually even these meetings sour. They just aren't enough. And thusly the relationship between Ennis and Jack eventually falls apart.

One of the film's final sequences sees Ennis, after Jack's death (and possible murder), visit Jack's parents. They're a wonderful bunch of scenes, which pick at all the different character's emotions. Mr Twist takes a couple of jabs at Ennis, hinting that Jack had a new 'friend' in a spiteful bid to hurt his guest, while Mrs Twist compassionately lets Ennis take a look around Jack's room. There Ennis finds a couple of shirts which he secretly hugs to his chest, and when he returns downstairs Mrs Twist gives him a bag to keep them in. It's a small act of tolerance and understanding, but one that means a lot for Ennis and the viewer.
23 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Accepting people for who they are
maria-tzintzis18 November 2008
I watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time 2 weeks ago. Someone gave me a copy about 2 years ago but could not bring myself to watch it. But being Australian I wanted to see Heath Ledger and also have seen a few movies with Jake Gyllenhall who I think is also a great actor.

I have read people's comments about how its a beautiful love story and so on, but for me it was all that but more important it was an education about accepting people for who they are and not judge them for their preferances in life. Before Brokeback Mountain I would cringe at 2 guys kissing or even holding hands now I see it as 2 people being in love and that is because of the great performances by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall.

I thank them both for making this great film so believable that has touched me so deeply.
22 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
shame on the academy awards
rickdumesnil19 November 2006
this film has changed my life. absolutely grandiose. and please people don't call it a gay movie...its a love story and a darn good one.a year later it still has me covered with goose pimples at the mere mention of its title. mr. ang lee you are sublime...you could have fallen to clichés and abundance of sex scenes but you wisely chose the contrary. it would have ruined the film and its message. the few nude scenes were well done and the dialogue was not shocking. heath ledger...wow..sure he mumbles but ennis was uneducated tormented and aching.james dean would have been proud mr. ledger. little jake gyllenhaal..fantastic did he ever portrait jack twist with sensitivity and zest. truly a great actor who with his eyes only can transfer emotions with such ease. michelle Anne randy...a top notch cast. my 3 favorite scenes..when after arguing ennis falls to his knees and says jack you did this.....the next night after the tent scene...ennis goes back to tent and jack hugs him and says its OK and of course the heartbreaking shirt scene. next week im going to my office xmas party with a brokeback mountain t shirt...i want to be forever associated with this masterpiece. excuse my English i am french Canadian and by the way...i will not be watching the Oscars any more. rick
22 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A masterpiece...
jb5 July 2007
This was a divine movie! It was just perfect, it was great! Ang Lee deals really skilfully with the fragile theme of homosexuality giving us one of the most moving pictures ever... The marvelous, heart-breaking Annie Proulx story is so tastefully adapted to the screen that it totally enchants you... Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal were performing in such a spectacular way that really surprised me, with Gyllenhaal giving the best performance for the year 2005 combining love, tenderness and lust, and Ledger giving the best performance of his career creating one of the most tragic figures of cinema... This movie was nothing more than an hymn to pure love, a haunting movie that breaks your heart with its unaffectedly moving ending... and of course one of the biggest Oscar fiascoes ever...
21 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Despite hype, portrayal is authentic!
Deoglood18 November 2006
I've read many of the reviews, and I'm real puzzled by the audience's blindness to the passion between the two cowboys. Can anybody give an example of better acting of passion? Given that cowboys are a special breed, and that the movie not only displays two men loving each other, but that two men in this very specific circumstance and faced with this very real challenge, I just don't know what someone could expect.

The so-called 'family values' crowd can complain about how a movie would 'celibrate' infidelity and a lifestyle that is 'ruinous', but they are missing the point. It's that kind of thinking that the two cowboys have caved to and tried to be what they knew, against their nature. At no point was this glossed over or amplified, it was and is real for today's and yesterday's rural men and women.

Yet the liberals complain that the movie was poop because the story would be stupid if the characters had been heterosexual. This would be true, because in the social context, two straight people falling in love and cheating is pretty common, and usually petty in nature. If you cannot distinguish the different social forces that make this story significant, then by all means, DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE! Go to church and pray for your sins.

For those of you who claim there is no passion between these two men, you know nothing about cowboys or rural men. Step out of the metro-sexual mindset, this ain't the Gillmore Girls.

I've been fortunate, having experienced love like this. It's painful, it's frustrating, and sometimes it's worth every second of it. What those actors did was nothing short of accurate and they honored what this movie was about.

This movie was Shakespearean, and the acting was excellent. There were some things I didn't like, but they were stylistic and not even worth complaining about.
A Masterpiece of Modern Cinema
Phantasm011 July 2006
Spectacular! There are no words to describe just how moving and honest and real this film is. The bottom line here is a message that transcends all barriers; gay or straight, male or female, rich or poor. The message is that love comes in many forms and if you are ever lucky enough to find a love so deep and strong, you must hang onto it regardless of all other outside factors. And when you don't, you very well could end up with nothing just as Ennis DelMar does. This is not a gay cowboy movie. It is an honest look at love and how two people who have the world against them try to follow their hearts but succumb to the pressures of a society that doesn't understand that love must transcend all.

I've read a lot of the other reviews and it seems that everyone has a different take on Jack and Ennis's relationship. But this is how I see it: Yes, they were both gay and they were both in love, not in lust, with each other. Lust doesn't last 20 years and the fact that they did go on to have so-called "normal" relationships with the women they married was not because they were bisexual but because they were doing what they thought they "had" to do. They tried hard to deny who they really were inside and married women, had families, then girlfriends but this was all part of the social pressure they felt to be "normal". Jack had more guts than Ennis did and was desperate to have a life with him because he needed him and loved him so badly, but Ennis was too uncomfortable with his love for Jack, was too embarrassed by it and couldn't have followed his heart because he was too consumed with the murder of the gay man he'd witnessed as a child. It isn't until the end, when Jack is gone, that Ennis comes to the realization that he let the love of his life slip through his hands. His daughter has found love and is getting married, Alma has remarried and Ennis finds himself alone with nothing to love or hang onto because he let his fears and insecurities about who he was come before his true love for Jack. The lesson is a hard one but the message is simple: No matter who you are or who you love, don't let anyone tell you who you should be. If you have love to give, give it freely and to whomever you wish. Never, never, never deny your heart.
21 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Powerful and poignant. I wish it knew how to quit haunting my thoughts
jansen-aui20 June 2006
"If you can't fix it, Jack, you gotta stand it"

So goes the adage that Brokeback Mountain's tragic central character, Ennis del Mar (Heath Ledger), lives by. In the summer of '63, two aspiring ranch hands with little to no prospects find themselves work herding sheep upon picturesque Brokeback Mountain. It is a place of desperate loneliness, and as much to their surprise as ours, the two men form a connection over that summer that develops to a lifelong relationship. "Brokeback got us good," remarks Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal), during their first reunion that occurs only after four years of longing have passed since the day he and Ennis bade each other gut-wrenching goodbyes. By this time, both men have moved on and married: Ennis to his sweetheart Alma Beers (Michelle Williams) and Jack to rodeo queen Lureen Newsome (Anne Hathaway). They are marriages more of convenience that anything else – society would never, ever accept a relationship such as the one they share in secret.

Ennis knows this better than any other, having been forced by his father at the tender age of nine to look upon the dried up corpse of a man beaten to death by tire iron when it became common knowledge he was living with another man. Over the next twenty years, we watch as Ennis and Jack retreat for fishing trips on Brokeback Mountain, where little fishing is done and where Ennis discovers that he is never as fulfilled as when he's in the company of Jack Twist, drinking whiskey under the moonlight. Despite any romantic ideas Jack might have that the two could settle down together, Ennis, scarred by his experience as a boy, repeatedly pushes Jack away so as to deny himself the happiness of being with the one person he truly, deeply loves. By the time the film closes, you cannot help but feel your heart has been ripped out of your chest: raw, same as Ennis.

With Brokeback Mountain, all the aspects of film-making combine coherently to paint a visual expression of Annie Proulx's sparse prose under Ang Lee's delicate, consummate guidance. Writers Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana don't just adapt the 30-page short story; they expand upon it to fill a two-hour feature, by adding crucial moments that flesh out character and underline drama. Against a backdrop of Rodrigo Prieto's picture-perfect cinematography and Gustavo Santaolalla's emotive, expressive score, the young cast impresses. Gyllenhaal's frustration is palpable, Williams' devastation is incredibly powerful and sympathetic, but the phenomenon here is Heath Ledger: all clenched fist and clenched mouth. It's such an impossibility for him to express emotion that when he does, with his final promise to Jack, it breaks your heart.

After leaving the cinema screening of Brokeback Mountain, I was haunted for weeks by its emotional resonance. Upon a second viewing on DVD, it elicits an even greater reaction. I simply cannot comprehend how, as Ang Lee's obvious masterpiece and what has developed into the most acclaimed film in motion picture history, the Academy could fail to honour this touching, tragic, universally powerful story that carries with it – but never preaches – an important message about love it's own Best Picture statue. It's a travesty we can't fix; a shame we have to stand.
31 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pure Brilliance
Yvette Bensemann20 September 2007
I have never before felt the need to post a comment on any movie, but this film touched me in a way that left me aching and haunted and filled with sorrow and sympathy for Ennis and Jack. I'm the first to admit that I cry easily watching movies, but BBM left me beyond tears. This isn't a "gay" film, it's a story of the love that all of us dream about, yet few of us will ever find. So amongst the pain that Ennis was left with (that I too felt), I was hit with raw envy. Such is the power of love, regardless of gender. Heath Ledger's portrayal of Ennis completely took my breath away; I had seen him in several other movies, but not once did he leave such an impression. He went past acting, and actually became Ennis. Jake's part was no less amazing, and, in some ways, I believe he had the harder role. But, like Heath, he carried it off beautifully. For that is perhaps the only word that can be used to describe this film.
20 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
laugh, cry, hurt, hate, love
luvforall28 November 2006
I'm going to make this short and sweet. Brokeback Mountain is one of the most moving movies I have seen. I started the movie off because I was bored and I was not supposed to be watching it (or anything) for another week. But as it went on I noticed I picked it up for a reason, I related to it (not exactly) but pretty close. It hit me like a bullet, i was left crying in a ball at the foot of my chair at the end of the movie saying to myself "Why did that have to happen?" I sobbed for about an hour and could not get to sleep that night. There is no way I will look at pure, perfect love ever again. It doesn't matter whether it is between two guys, two girls, or a guy and a girl, it is still a love that rattles you deep into your bones and never, ever lets you forget it. That's what BBM is about, not "the gay cowboy movie" but a story of unconditional love.
I swear?
sarah_j-11 August 2006
I missed this one at movie theaters...so I tried DVD on Sunday...then again on Monday. All I knew about this movie was it's a cowboy love story, and directed by Ang Lee - the one I admire.

From the production story, I found Ang lee loved the script because it sounded like an epic. I think his movie is like an epic..if you watch his previous ones such as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Anyway, I really loved the film. It was beautiful but sad, and made me end up with crying...though I knew some men I know really can't stand like this movie...but indifferent to me, I just felt those scenes were beautiful, sexy and sad.

A question... why did Ennie said "I swear..." .. for what? Would like to know the exact meaning...though I'm gonna try the book later.
20 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just watched it last night.
atkevin5 July 2006
After watching this movie I have come to a conclusion. I totally expected this movie to be all homosexual behavior and all this stuff. But to my surprise I was totally taken in by this movie. I spent half of last night just laying in the bed thinking about what it would mean to me to lose a friend like that. Of course I am not that way with my friends but to each his own. My point behind this post is to actually say I think this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. And to ask everyone else if this has ever happened to them.

I was driving in to work this morning and on my CD player came "Whiskey Lullaby" The sad thing is the first thing I thought about was this movie! For some reason the song actually fits in perfect with the movie except that the song was about a girl/guy.

What do you think??
20 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Are you being fair to Ennis & Jack?
Risico3 July 2006
I have no qualms with any of the "10 star" marks on this review section – as you can see I have given this film the maximum it can be awarded too.

However – The great majority of you, perhaps all of you, seem to be missing the point of the film – and in the meantime are doing a great disservice to Ennis and Jack.

"This IS the gay cowboy film" – in fact the film is, in its entirety, about the uniquely gay phenomenon of "the closet".

On Brokeback Mountain the guys are free, in nature – ie naturally, to express their feelings freely for each other unhindered and unseen. Hence we have massive open spaces, expansive skies (in total contrast to the claustrophobic atmosphere and spaces in Riverton and Childress). Yet even during these halcyon times we have events trying to drive both (yes both) back into the closet – the dead sheep is, for example, the reminder to Ennis of the neglect of his job; the first victim of their relationship; or, if you like, the sacrificial lamb on the altar of Ennis' sin. You can take your pick – yet all are designed to drive Ennis back deep within himself where he has been since birth.

It is clear that, unnecessarily, like some gay men, Ennis has hated himself since childhood. You can see it in the way he walks – you can hear it in the way he talks. He CAN understand the feelings he is having, he has had them all his life, though he has always feared to express them until his sojourn on Brokeback: it is his father who, tragically, unknowingly and only in a loving effort to protect his sons, imprisons Ennis into "the closet" for what can only can be guessed at is the remainder of his life. Jack is, simply, the more known case of the closet – at the right time he'll just walk out – he just needs the right guy! All the turbulent relationships outside of the central relationship (other than mother/son-father/daughter) are by-products of both of the lads living their lives in "the closet".

It is not important how Jack died, what is important is how Ennis believes it happened. Ennis picks the outcome that totally justifies his fears and the one that will secure him within his own closet.

Finally we have, to all intense and purposes, the two final, and most important, scenes of the film. Both have, literal "CLOSETS" central within them (Ennis finds shirts in Jack's closet; Ennis places daughter's jumper in his closet). The window at the end showing wide, open fields (what might have been) that is in total contrast to the existing closeted confines of Ennis' caravan.

If further tragedy was needed it is the people who matter most to the two central characters – Ennis' daughter and Jack's mother – who knew that they both were gay, all along, (Alma Jnr: "You're good enough") and are there to understand and pick up the pieces at the end.

Ennis only realises, too late, that love in the end is all that matters: " This Kurt, does he love you?" and finally releases one of the greatest final lines in a film – "Jack I swear …….." Of course it's "Jack I swear I love you" but like Ennis' life the sentence remains incomplete.

The genius of Brokeback Mountain is not that it is a universal love story that just happens to contain gay characters but that it is, uniquely, a gay love story that has been made to appeal universally. However seeing this film as the former can only, in my opinion, be driving the lads back into that closet.
The Best of 2005
Dcap41886 February 2007
Ang Lee's devastatingly beautiful "Brokeback Mountain" is a magnificent achievement. Early in production, the film was dubbed "the gay cowboy movie." The term is a tragic simplification of what is actually an exquisite love story, gay or straight. "Brokeback" is quickly shedding its nickname and breaking down barriers as more and more people actually see it and succumb to its beauty and heartache.

The film is small in budget, but epic in scale and vision. It begins in Wyoming in 1963. Nineteen-year-olds Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) have been assigned a flock of sheep to guard on Brokeback Mountain. Ennis is a taciturn ranch hand who in one conversation with Jack says more than he has in an entire year. Jack, a part-time bull rider, is the more extroverted of the two. They make an unlikely pair, but Lee handles the developing relationship with great tact so as to make sure it is believable.

One night, after a long evening of drinking, Jack and Ennis surprise themselves by having sex. The scene is an awkward experience not only for the characters, but for the audience watching them as well. Had the sex been between a man and a woman, the scene might not have been given a second thought. The fact that it breaks from tradition, presenting a so-called "forbidden love" unabashedly up-close and intimate, is part of what makes the film such a cinematic landmark. "This is a one shot thing we got going' here," says Ennis the next day. "You know I ain't no queer." "Me neither," replies Jack. Quite the opposite is true, however. That fateful night on the mountainside sets into motion a tumultuous romance that will span two decades.

After their summer on Brokeback, both men eventually marry and have children. Ennis finds a loving and devoted wife in Alma (Michelle Williams). Jack meets a real live-wire in Lureen (Anne Hathaway), whose father owns an expensive farm equipment business in Texas. One day a postcard arrives for Ennis postmarked Jack Twist. It is the first word he has heard from him in over four years. The two reunite in a tryst of wild passion, and are once again caught up in what they thought they had left behind on Brokeback Mountain.

As the years pass, Ennis and Jack meet only for the occasional "fishing trip." During one of these trips, Jack suggests he and Ennis buy a ranch together somewhere in the country. Ennis dismisses the idea as a fantasy. "Bottom line is, we're around each other and this thing grabs hold of us, at the wrong place, at the wrong time, and we're dead." Ennis recounts a childhood memory of a man who was tortured and killed because he lived with another man. His father made sure he saw the body.

The rest of the story I will not reveal because some events are better left to be experienced in the theater where their power can be fully absorbed and appreciated.

"Brokeback Mountain" would not work half as well as it does if it were not for the multitude of fine performances throughout. The women are uniformly excellent. Michelle Williams, a long way from her days on "Dawson's Creek," gives a performance of somber perfection. One scene in particular in which she confronts Ennis about his fishing trips is almost enough to guarantee her a nomination come Oscar time. Anne Hathaway, best known from Disney's "The Princess Diaries" films, shines as well. The extremely talented but often overlooked Randy Quaid, Linda Cardellini, and Anna Farris each have brief but memorable roles that, despite their brevity, are integral parts of the story. Jake Gyllenhaal caps off a great year with his superbly nuanced performance as Jack, a doe-eyed optimist who grows tired of only being able to see Ennis two or three times a year. As Ennis, Heath Ledger delivers the performance of a lifetime. Ennis is a man of few words, but when he does speak, it is as if the words are literally punching to get out. Ledger proves that sometimes less is more as he uses his body to express things that words alone never could. Ledger is, in a word, brilliant.

Screenwriters Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana deserve recognition for adapting the eleven-page short story by Annie Proulx into a two-and-a-quarter hour film. Dialogue in the film is sparse, but it only serves to make each word uttered that much more important. When Ennis says, "If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it," our hearts break because we know there is nothing that should need to be fixed.

In addition to being one of the most compellingly acted and written films of the year, "Brokeback Mountain" is the most stunningly photographed. The tagline, "love is a force of nature," fits it perfectly. Ang Lee and cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto use every opportunity they have to connect the power and beauty of nature (lakes, streams, clouds, rain, snow, hail, thunder, etc.) to the most raw and complex of human emotions. Brokeback Mountain itself is a symbol of freedom for Jack and Ennis. It is the only place they can go to truly love, and be loved, with no restraints.

"Brokeback Mountain" is a film of limitless possibilities. Its true power lies within its ability to linger and haunt long after the final credits have rolled. It forces us, as any good film should, to ask questions, questions about the world and ourselves. As I sat and watched "Brokeback" I couldn't help but wonder what life might have been like for Ennis and Jack had they found each other today. Would their fates be any different? I would like to think so.
30 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Love between two men? What the heck! They're two human beings
arthur-saboia5 June 2006
Although some time has elapsed between my seeing this movie and today, I've decided to add a little comment just to show the producers, director,actors and writer, how marvelous it is to acknowledge that a certain change is taking place in this old world of ours.I'm a 69 year old grandpa who has always taken a stand against any sort of discrimination. In this case and naturally not by accident, it's about homosexuality.People love nature but they seldom respect human nature. Love is for everyone and not only for those that are socially considered "politically correct". Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal have shown the world that stereotypes have nothing to do with honesty, affection,tenderness and true sorrow. Beautiful, unforgettable performances which have enriched all the viewers' craving to be loved, accepted and regarded as first class citizens. Congratulations.
29 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Finest Hour for Two Young Actors
mindcat10 January 2009
I have viewed Brokeback Mountain a total of three times on a 50 inch plasma. I spaced my views almost six months apart so I could grasp more completely and without prejudice, how I would rate this flick.

It is beyond a doubt an American classic and looking back I regret so profoundly the death of Heath, who played Enis. The amount of acting skill and diversity it took to do such a touching and completely honest job, makes this young man, Heath Ledger, a legend.

The scenes in the Brokeback were beautiful and allowed me to imagine somehow I was transformed back in time watch these young men.

The truth is neither one of the characters was entirely gay, rather bisexual, but they did find each other as their own natural soul mates.

Unfortunately cultural prejudice and homophobia prevented them from doing what Jack Twist had dreamed, ranching together on his father's spread.

The final scenes are absolutely acted with such depth of character, the viewer is taken to tears. The Brokeback will not have Jack's ashes, since even in death, the culture denies him his final request, his ashes spread upon the Brokeback.

Many of the bigots who have posted here on this fine cinema should be ashamed as they bray their ignorance for all to read.

A fine film and probably one of the top love stories of all time in film.
19 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unpredictable and uncommon love that last the times, and remains even when it ends in tragedy.
Danny Blankenship12 February 2007
This for sure is not your typical cowboys story as it may seem when it starts out, "Brokeback Mountain" is something much more special. Starting out in 1963 in rural Wyoming a simple summer friendship is formed by two innocent cowboys by the name of Ennis Del Mar(Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist(Jake Gyllenhaal) only this summer encounter will turn into a lifelong connection of love and friendship. After the summer course of work ends, both return back to their old grounds and each begin new directions. Jack returns to Texas to enjoy the life of a rodeo cowboy and falls in love and marries a sexy and wealthy female(Anne Hathaway) and he begins a family. Ennis stays in Wyoming and marries his old school love(Michelle Williams) and a family of children begins right away, and Ennis has to continue to work hard as a ranch hand. Ennis then four years into his normal world receives a postcard, then him and Jack revisit and again start to have wonderful encounters every so often at Brokeback, this finally costs Ennis his wife. Anyway this strong bond continues year after year as each man goes along with the changes joys and heartbreaks so commonly associated with everyday life. When tragedy strikes and Ennis finds out about the fate of Jack, the emotional love lasts and you get an emotional feel at the tribute that Ennis gives to Jack at the end. I must say great movie and well done especially good acting from Ledger and Gyllenhaal who make both Ennis and Jack such likable characters that you feel emotions for and you feel their hurt. Also way to go for director Ang Lee for having the courage to take on the topic of gay cowboy love, especially the way he directed in the setting of a conservative Wyoming in the 1960's. Lee really proved that love is possible for anyone and that any human being can love another human being no matter who they are.
19 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Heart Of The Matter
marcosaguado16 December 2005
I didn't believe for a moment that the film could live up to the hype, or to some of the comments posted here, some of them read like love letters to the film, to the director and the actors. Well, now, after seeing the film, I feel like writing a love letter myself. The film took over my senses and transported me. The tragedy that envelopes the lives of Ennis and Jack is caused by an ancestral ignorance that is part of our DNA and if you don't believe me read some of the hateful comments posted here alongside the love letters. That's the heart of the matter. After the summer in Brokeback Mountain, Ennis and Jack go their separate ways and Ennis hits a wall with his fists crying, trying to destroy his longing, self loathing, guilt, horror. Imagine in a world without ignorance and therefore without hatred, Ennis and Jack could have celebrated their love and attempt an honest life together. Imagine also if things were the other way and heterosexuals were the dark minority, imagine falling in love with a girl and having to keep it secret, never been able to tell or to show publicly your love for her. Men like Ennis, and there are many, have to curve their own emotions and conform, entering and developing unhappy marriages and why? Read some of the comments here and you'll understand why. There is one that condemns the movie and what the movie may do for his kid and his vision of cowboys without actually having seen the movie! That's the heart of the matter. I will go and see the film again tomorrow, if I can get tickets, I'm taking with me a group of people that hate the movie already without having seen it. I won a bet so they will have to. I'm taking them to diner later to talk. I intend to report the results if you let me. But for the time being let me tell you, "Brokeback Mountain" is an extraordinary film. Jake Gyllenhaal, Ann Hathaway and the magnificent Michelle Williams give superb performances but it's Heath Ledger's film. He gives us something that nobody could possibly have expected because what he gives us is not only, honest and moving and powerful but totally and utterly new.
899 out of 1,055 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I wish I had known how sad this movie was going to be.
fezziwiggs29 January 2007
I just watched this movie last night for the first time. I wish I hadn't. It was one of the saddest films I have ever seen. It bothered me to no end. I kept waking up all night thinking about it. I feel terrible.

The movie hit me especially hard because of my personal experiences. I spent several years living in the West and had a relationship with another man, who has since died. Watching this movie brought back many of the emotions I thought were long buried.

I feel like grabbing my coworkers and talking them to death about this film, but I know they don't want to hear about it. I feel this driving need to keep talking about it - maybe if I keep talking about it I can get the ending to change.

If I had known how this film was going to affect me - I wouldn't have watched it. It's too late now - I can't get it out of my head. I don't think I've ever been affected this much by a movie.
44 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this