IMDb > "One Piece" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

best anime ever

Author: william liang from United States
14 May 2005

This anime is so cool. It's probably the best anime I've ever watched so far. The main character Luffy in this anime has taught me a meaningful lesson in life. He taught me that if you decide to accomplish something, you should put everything on it and fight for your goal till the last moment of your life. This anime is awesome, hilarious, and touching. It brings me a lot of laughing from the funny parts, and tears from the touching moments (yes, I really did shatter my tears). It's really an awesome anime, I've been watching from episode 1 - 144 so far, and I never found even a second of the anime boring. I highly recommend every one to watch this excellence anime.

incredible epic ride

Author: derbling from Germany
6 July 2005

It is difficult to sum up the story of a series with hundreds of episodes, TV specials and movies, so I'd rather just try to tell you what it is about and why it is so incredibly good.

The series starts off with a guy named Luffy whose ultimate goal it is to become the one and only "King of all Pirates" and to find the greatest treasure in the world. The first episodes introduce him and some characters and make a lovely start that is entertaining and makes one want more. On his way Luffy meets a lot of very interesting characters who become his crew members and friends - each of them with an intense and captivating background story. Every character in this series - be it friend or foe - is either adorable, tragic, despicable or interesting at the least... no boring characters anywhere. Later on in the series, important events and story twists are often visualized or supported by huge appearances in the fabulous and unreal environments that our crew travels. This is perfectly done and helps the already epic feel of the story. I have seen 150 episodes, four movies and two specials so far and there were moments that made me cry, laugh, think and re-watch some episodes (especially 85-90) at least 30 times. You might come to the false conclusion of having a kids show here due to the presentation, but that is definitely wrong. People sometimes say about a movie or series that it is "not a life changer, but entertaining". That is definitely not the case here! I know it sounds nerdy, but this series has broadened my horizon in many ways and I recommend anyone to take the admittedly long time to get into this epic adventure. The best way to do so will be to watch the fan-subs which are as close to the original as a non Japanese will get (explanations of puns and traditions). There are of course some filler episodes in a huge project like this which won't blow you away, but that is only natural with hundreds of episodes and helps developing the characters. This show is an easy 10/10

We are, we are on the cruise, WE ARE!

Author: angelus_2411 from United Kingdom
4 October 2006

I watch a lot of fan subbed anime and occasionally watch some dubbed anime if there is nothing else good on TV. Well one day while watching Toonami in the UK i stumbled across show called one piece. It wasn't amazingly good, there were obvious problems with the dub, but it was enjoyable none the less. After i'd watched few episodes i started to become curious about the characters and the origins of the story. I did a little bit of research on the web and found out that the version of One Piece i was watching had been butchered from its original format. There were A lot of sources that all said the same thing, that the original One Piece was brilliant and that the dub was nothing in comparison. I liked the show and wanted to see what Uncut One Piece was like. After a little more searching i found some fantastic fansubs and my real One Piece experience started. What can i say, Japanese One Piece is one of the best stories ever told and is by far my favourite show to watch. I look forward everyweek to watching the next episode when the fansub is released. 280 episodes into the series and its still as great as it was when it first started.

A poor dub led me to discover my favourite show, and so if nothing else, the dub will let new fans like me discover One Piece.

Lets all hope this adventure continues for a long time.

Straw Hat Pirates, I Wanna Be Your Nakama..!

Author: Girish Gowda from BengaLuru, Karnataka
10 April 2010

Let me start by saying, I don't understand Japanese and I'm a huge fan of Naruto, Shippuuden and Bleach (of course, all original Japanese versions). One Piece was shown on Cartoon Network when I was 13/14 & I thought it was lame. Now, I see why it was lame, it was 4kids English version which was pretty horrible.

Monkey. D. Luffy is the captain of a small group of pirates, famous as the Straw Hat Pirates. He recruits a small and diverse group of people who will be his nakama on the journey. He is more interested in food and nakamas than in gold & money as normal pirate would be. He is a comedian more than a captain, but he rises to the occasion when needed and he's a good role model. He wants to get to One Piece & become the King Of Pirates. He gets Roronoa Zoro on board first. He is a highly skilled swordsman & is known as the pirate hunter Zoro. He uses three katanas & its his ambition to become the best swordsman in the world. Then Nami comes aboard as the skilled navigator. Its her dream to draw the map of the whole world. After that, Usopp the storyteller (i.e he's a great liar) becomes their nakama.

Next Sanji becomes their cook. His dream is to prove that All-Blue exists and he's an awesome kicker along with being a highly skilled cook. But, he loses it whenever he sees a beautiful lady. Then comes Chopper, a reindeer (you heard me right!). He becomes their doctor and he's very good at it. Then Nico Robin hops on aboard. Her dream is to find out about the ultimate Poneglyph, Rio Poneglyph. She has a power and a troubled past.

This story is about taking the initiative to go for your dreams. Take the awesome adventures with Luffy and his nakama and you'll fall in love with them. There is comedy, spirit, love and an awe-inspiring factor in the anime. Even the animation which feels weird at first grows on you so much that you'll like this kind of animation more than the others.

Now, I have just finished seeing the Sky Island episodes where Enel is fighting Luffy (200th episode). I have to say I am hooked to this show. This is definitely a show not for meant for kids. Even if you hate hearing the Japanese language, try seeing it for some episodes and you'll get hooked. I can't recommend this series enough. See it, believe it, enjoy it. This is my all time favourite anime, above Bleach & Naruto. This is miles above those anime. Anyone who has seen all three anime will agree with me!

This is what an anime fan should call home.

Author: fanis-gav (fanis-.-gav@hotmail.gr) from Greece
4 September 2013

Looking at the IMDb reviews it seemed rather strange to me that most of them(the top ones at least)were quite outdated,written in 2005-2006 actually or the reviewers had not seen more than 50 or 100 episodes.Having said that please note that i have seen 610 episodes and 2 movies(strong world,film z) as of the day I'm writing this review.I hope my review will provide you with valuable insight to the series or even convince you to watch it.I will try to be as spoiler free as possible.

It's been about a year since i started watching anime regularly and that is something I have yet to regret.I mostly enjoy short anime with less than 50 episodes that have good plot and well made characters,anime like cowboy bebop(my favorite),mushishi,ergo proxy,code geass etc.I knew about anime like OP,Naruto,Bleach even before I started watching anime but kept avoiding them even when I had seen about 50(I must have seen over 100 now XD) other anime mainly because I thought to myself 'how can they be any good when they have that many episodes? Aren't they out of ideas yet?'.Well I might be right about Naruto and Bleach but when it comes to One Piece I couldn't be more wrong.One piece is so good, so enjoyable and it never ends which is something everyone who is watching it wants.

Talk about long introduction huh?Anyways onto the actual review now.It will be divided into 4 sectors: story,characters,art and sound,enjoyment.

STORY: Now the story at first might seem very simple and straightforward,a young boy Monkey D. Luffy(17 years old)setting out on sea on a great journey to become the Pirate King and find One Piece the biggest and greatest treasure in the OP world that was left in 'that' place by the former Pirate King,Gol D. Roger.Before Roger was executed publicly by the marines-world government he told everyone that if they wanted OP they had to look for it and that it was all left in 'that' place and that ignited the great age of pirates.The series is divided into arcs,each featuring its very own story and setting,each island,each place the straw hat pirates(Luffy and his crew)visit is a whole different adventure with new people to meet and new circumstances.And that's one of the best things of OP,you never get bored.You are fascinated by the huge and diverse OP world and you just can't let go of it.Everything is interesting and everything is fun,Luffy and his crew never chose the easy path but they strive for adventure and excitement and they almost pass their feelings to us the viewers.Thats something very rare especially in anime and OP handles that expertly.Once you have seen enough episodes you will realize that the main characters of the series,especially Luffy,don't really care about their destination,hell most of the times they don't even know where they are going at all.All that matters is that they are going somewhere interesting where they will learn new things,get stronger,meet new people and face powerful foes.Another thing worth mentioning is that the series has very few fillers(episodes that did not exist in the original story-source material-manga) unlike some other mainstream anime series(Naruto,Bleach anyone?).Also the fillers are actually not that bad,sure they are not good but many of them are OK.And thats a huge plus for an anime series.

CHARACTERS:This is where OP really shines.Each character is presented with great detail,they are all quite unique.Everyone has their own backstory explained thoroughly and we get to see why they are who they are,why each one of them has their very own ambitions and dreams.Due to their different experiences they have very different personalities and through good character development we see how they interact with each other and how they get closer to each other.We see how they become comrades and everyone is looking for each other,they become something very close to a family.That's the kind of bonds they make.Furthermore we not only see the history and personality of the straw hats but many others too like members of the marines.We see why they make the kind of choices they make.Nobody is entirely evil and nobody is purely good.Everyone has a good reason behind what they are doing and they strongly believe in their own cause,in their own justice and in their own dreams.

ART AND SOUND:One Piece also excels in this sector with beautiful and vivid animation.The sceneries look alive and all different from each other with their very own characteristics.The characters are illustrated masterfully and each character looks a lot different from each other(that's a huge plus in anime).The sound department also did a great job especially with the voice actors,I'm always talking about the original Japanese(don't you dare see the English dub),who fit really well into their respective characters.The music,for me at least,is very catchy and actually really well made.However that depends on personal taste,if you are not really into this kind of karaoke-Japanese style of music you might not like it.Nevertheless OP really has some of the greatest music themes I have heard in an anime.

OVERALL ENJOYMENT:One Piece is one of the most,if not the most enjoyable and diverse anime series you can find.It really excels in pretty much every field there is.It is the only anime series,or any series,I have seen with that many episodes and yet manages to stay that good(and believe me,have I seen a lot).I recommend OP to anyone with enough time and hunger for adventure.If you have not decided whether to watch it or not just watch 10 episodes and see for yourself if you want continue or not(oh you will want to continue).Trust me and you won't regret it,just like I did.

And yep that's the end of it fellas.If you enjoyed my review and found it useful please upvote so others can see it.

Words cannot describe it....

Author: simonximenes from Malaysia
27 January 2010

I don't know what to say...I'm totally in love with One Piece. Years ago, my friend once told me that the top three best anime in the world were Bleach, Naruto and One Piece. Since I have watched Bleach and Naruto, I totally agreed that Bleach and Naruto were the best. But One Piece??? I was very doubtful at that time. Why? Because there's no way an anime that is childishly drawn could be at the same level as Bleach and Naruto. But my friend keep persuading me to watch One Piece and one fateful day, I tried to watch it continuously for one whole day. Oh my God!!! I was completely stunt! This anime is beyond my expectation. What an epic. For me, it was better than Bleach and Naruto. Luffy and the Strawhat Crews have their own unique characters that can be related to most of us in our daily life. The supporting characters and villains also have characteristics that will stuck in you mind for ages. I think that's why One Piece is the best. Most of us 'feel' for each of the characters in many ways...may it be in laughter, agony, suffering and so much more. Kudos to the One Piece's production team especially the amazing creator, Eiichiro Oda; for creating a world that is beyond ordinary but still can amuse ordinary people like me and you.

A must see anime before you die...

If you believe in your nakama, anything goes!

Author: Tina (Tifa128@hotmail.com) from Germany
29 September 2006

On first glance, One Piece is not too different from other Anime series. It has hilarious, roll on the floor from laughing humor and so much action it makes you wonder if the crew ever gets tired.

But in its core, One Piece is about something else: it's about nakama. Nakama, a Japanese term generally referring to comrades, receives a completely new feeling in One Piece. Stand by your nakama, believe in them no matter what happens, no matter what anyone does or says about them. Help them in any situation, even if it means putting your own life on the line. With you nakama, you can do anything. And it is this extreme sense of comradry that makes you fall in love with the characters and wish you could be a part of the strange little group.

It also teaches how humans are allowed to have flaws; in fact, all people do: seemingly perfect Swordsman and first mate Roronoa Zoro has no sense of direction whatsoever and can easily get himself lost on any one way street, navigator Nami is absolutely crazy for money, cook Sanji loses his mind once he sees a lady.. and the list goes on and on. But despite these flaws, they continue fighting. For each other and with each other. If one crewmember can't do it, somebody else will be right there for support.

If you're looking for a funny, action-filled series whose main characters easily grow to your heart and feel like family: go for One Piece. You will not regret it!

Awesome

Author: sapphiresword62 from United States
4 September 2006

One Piece is an excellent show. It's exceedingly funny and I guarantee that you will laugh. The main characters are so weird and insane that you immediately love them.

First there's Monkey D. Luffy, who is this optimistic boy that can stretch his body thanks to a Gum-Gum fruit he ate as a child. He's the captain.

Then there's the sarcastic sword master, Roronoa Zolo, who practices santoryu, which means he uses three swords at once. He is the first mate.

Nami is the third member to join the crew. She's a thief who hates almost all pirates with a passion, but adores money. She's the navigator.

Usopp is the fourth crew member. He's a total scaredy-cat and always tells lies. He's the crew's sharpshooter.

The fifth crewman is Sanji, who's a serious ladies' man. He is the cook.

And then there's Tony Tony Chopper, who is...a reindeer. He's just a tad shy. He's the crew's doctor.

There might be more crew members, but I don't know of any others. They're all really interesting, but the enemies are just absurd. Every time you see a new one you have to stare at it for a minute or so just to figure out whether he's wearing a wig, or if that's REALLY his outfit. The storyline is great and the music makes me smile. Even if you don't obsess over pirates like I do, you will love this show.

Watch the Japanese dub if you can

Author: IonicBadger from Norway
28 December 2007

Well after watching this show for quite a while i noticed one thing. The English dub is horrible and all the scenes of the so called violence are cut out.

I actually watched the first five episodes again in Japanese after seeing the English dub and it so much better. Apparently this show has been cut extensively to suit it for all ages witch does not do this show justice i think its quite friendly to children.

Take my word for it watch one episode of One Piece on English. And then watch the Japanese version you will see the difference. This show is great and deserve so much more.

One of the most excellent adventure series to date. But the U.S. dub almost ruins it.

Author: rdatsun
4 April 2005

I believe I don't need to tell you that anime has hit like a brick in the U.S.'s pop culture and quite frankly I couldn't be happier. Mainly cause it nice to see animation that aren't afraid of leaving the kiddy realm and that they can be taken seriously (a fact most of the older generation down here just won't accept). Of course its also nice to see a story that caters to both sides and is always worth coming back to, case in point say hello to One Piece. May look childish but it is the most complex story I've ever had the joy of encountering...at least in graphic novel form when it retains their original shape. Sadly once again political correctness reared it ugly head down here when it came time to see the animated version. You know what that means anime lovers, KID...FRIENDLY...DUB!

Premise: The story follows the massive adventure of Monkey D. Luffy (Luffy for short) as he seeks the titled treasure to become the king of pirates, even though he cursed from eating a Devil Fruit that gives him rubber powers but prohibits him from swimming forever. Soon gaining a crew with their own unique quirks and goals and sailing the dangerous yet wondrous Grand Line in their quest.

So far the U.S is still in it starting chapters of this series (as of this writing) but One Piece has shown an very interesting take at storytelling, what may seem obvious to the viewer and the characters could actually have another deeper meaning to really stun you when it revealed and its these little twists that keep you coming back for more of the story. Of course the main characters are a charming lot too with their faults and strengths. And as overused as it is in cartoons, a bond of a very tight friendship that help them threw their battles.

Speaking of which, talk about a bunch of creative rumbles. Be it against other devil fruit users, major weapons, martial arts, sword play or against the elements themselves. Luffy and his crew take on all comers and the viewers are definitely in for a show once everything hits the fans.

Animation wise, its not bad. Some of the attacks lose a bit of their impacts from the comic but it still very cool to see everything unfolding with movement and color. The downside to this is the dreaded DBZ syndrome where a couple of episodes are dedicated to the back and forth struggle of the fights. Still if you're a fan of the series, you might stay for the long run.

Alas a company called 4Kids has picked this up on the United States behalf and if the name is any indication, its going to be edited the crap out of. Now, unlike most anime viewers, I have nothing against dubs. Yes they may not match the quality of the originals but they do try their best. But with 4Kids its another story. I know they can't show blood, obscene gestures, and the like and thats fine with me. But seriously do they have to, HAVE TO, edit silly little tibits like guns the way they do (they turn them into water guns and hammer gizmos for crying out loud, surly they can do better then that. Calling them blasters or boomsticks would've at least been a little better.)

Much worse however is the changes to the story lines, what so bad about the word death and any reference to it. Kids learn about it eventually, heck DBZ didn't even try to ignore it. So what the point of covering it up by having characters "in a coma" or "been taken away"? I mean they don't have to show the death, but don't act like it didn't happen, thats insulting the series material. And for quality sake, I wish they stop adding ad-libs to scenes that don't need them.

Voice wise, its somewhat decent. Let get the good out of the way and say that Zoro (or Zolo though I don't care which name hes called), Nami, and at least most of the villains sound their roles. But Luffy, ugh way too young for a TEENAGER and screechy. Ussop, well it kinda fits him but it needs to be a little more solidified to suit the character. And Sanji? If it didn't sound like a pillow was stuck down his throat it would've been all right.

Music is also not bad though I am curious what the original track sounds like and I will commend 4Kids for the intro (yes I…LIKED…IT). Very catchy after a couple of viewings though of course it doesn't hold a candle to the original material. Kinda wish they used the 2nd opening with English lyrics but good job on the intro nonetheless.

Still though 4Kids does stay a bit faithful to the manga and retain some of the scenes and dialogue which am happy about, but if they really wanna please the fans their gonna have to step it up on the content level and stop with what they think the animation needs besides lack of the offensive (blood, gore, and cursing).

Overall I love the story, characters, situations and the grand scale of the adventure of the series in general. But am going to have to hang my head down on the dub which barely does the series justice. Still if you don't care much for how good a dub is done or have never heard of the series then the One Piece dub may be worth viewing (though for the latter, I recommend reading the manga for a better experience.). Everyone else, wait for the uncut DVD version which 4Kids have graciously decided to release or check out a fansub (the original Japanese version with subtitles). It might be better then what us yanks tried to make of the show.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]