IMDb > Transporter 2 (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Transporter 2

Transporter 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 34: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

So over the top it makes the first film look like " singin in the rain"

Author: sean vouriot from Australia
6 July 2012

Transporter 2 is probably one of the silliest action movies I've ever seen. This is the kind of movie where your jaw will be hanging open for most of its brisk 80 minutes. Absolutely nothing in this film is even remotely possible. I know, I know the aim for this movie was not to be possible in any way whatsoever. Its goal is to entertain the audience and at that it succeeds. But even action movies have to show just a little restraint in how over the top they go, right?

The stunts involve a speedboat leap off a conveniently placed ramp onto a highway so Frank Martin(Jason Statham)can leap onto a bus and catch one of the terrorists whom he has been chasing. The terrorist is Russian of course and is named Dimitri. Why does almost every action movie have a Russsian bad guy?

Another stupid stunt comes at the end of a car chase between Frank, The terrorist leaders wife: Lola(Kate Nauta, who gives an effective performance) and the Miami police force. The chase was fun until the very end, when Frank drives all the way up a parking garage and(wait for it) crashes through the wall and flys through the air for about a hundred feet before landing on the building across the street (which is luckily under construction, so there is nobody inside) and then skidding for the length of the building until they come to a stop directly on the edge of the building.

You may ask how they would manage to drive the car off the building. Well guess what? Somehow, in methods the movie doesen't make quite clear, Frank manages to get each side of the car onto each side of a building and drive over an alley. A drunk guy looks up and sees the car pass over him. He then looks at his beer and grimaces, thinking he is hallucinating. I thought I was hallucinating too. That had to be one of the strangest stunts I've ever seen. I guarantee you the makers of this film were probably a little more than a bit tipsy when they dreamed this stunt up. Look, I could go on and on explaining the implausibilities. Some of it is even too stupid for Bond, and thats saying something(The CGI is also pretty bad in this movie, which dosen't help it's cause.)

Although on the plus side the acting isn't too bad and the film has a fast, exhilarating pace. Compared to the original though, this is yet another sequel that tried to do too much and just got too stupid. The original had its share of action but it didn't get too out of control.

I don't mind a good dumb action movie with impossible stunts. But when I see something as out of control as Transporter 2, I hang my mouth open in disbelief. Seriously what were these filmmakers thinking??? Do they really think that audiences are that stupid? Obviously they do.

Did I have fun watching Transporter 2? Yes. Could I get my head around all the implausibilities? No.

5 out of 10 because I had a fun 80 minutes

" That driver can sure drive a car! Yes, among other things. "

Author: thinker1691 from USA
15 April 2012

Reprising his role in the original movie, 'The Transporter' (Jason Statham) returns as Frank Martin in "Transporter II." In this action pact trill ride, the exciting action begins and ends with Martin giving a hands on display of both his driving skills, which are magical as well as his martial arts abilities, which are incredible. The gist of the story center's around the Transporter being hired to drive a 6 year old boy (Hunter Clary) to school and back. Things become alarming when the boy is Kidnapped by an International organization led by Gianni Chellini (Alessandro Gassman) who claims he did it for a large ransom. Although he has a hidden motive, the claim is really a cover for another purpose. With the help of his friend Inspector Tarconi (Francois Berleand) Martain must use his Special Forces training not only to defeat the kidnappers, but also to save the boy without harming him. From beginning to end this is one wild ride of both physical action, intrigue and high flying adventure. The cast which includes Kate Nauta, Matthew Modine and Keith David as Stappleton, give a most impressive performance. This series of the Transporter will eventually include a III addition and one only hope it's as exciting as this one. In any case, this will eventually become a Classic. ****

Treat it like a cartoon and you'll be fine

Author: Some Dude
13 November 2011

The trick with movies like this is to realize that they are just cartoons done with real actors. Don't take them any more seriously than you would a Looney Toon and they can be quite enjoyable.

"Frank" is the Energizer Bunny -- he just keeps going and going and nothing will stop him. He's also kind of like Wiley Coyote in that he hatches all kinds of ridiculous ideas, but in his case everything goes for him rather than against him.

The best (?) part of this is that there is no real plot so if you need to take a bathroom break, you really won't miss anything. The worst part is that it's not intentionally funny like a cartoon would be. There's plenty of unintentional humour from the absurd stunts, but that is sadly not enough.

Action or Farce

Author: sonobor from USA
29 August 2011

Well produced and lots of action. However, you must suspend believe to the extreme. Nearly all of the movie is so outrageous you may wonder, "Is this an action movie or a farce? Transporter or Spy Hard?"

I found the movie more cartoon-ish than a James Bond flick. There's a scene where Jason Statham flips his car in the air, scrapes a bomb off the bottom of the vehicle with an industrial crane then lands upright. Amazing precision. Yes it's that silly.

To be fair, Amber Valletta's performance is quite good. Also I'm impressed that Statham never smirks no matter how silly the action. The production values and fight scenes are top notch. Not realistic but top notch.

A better sequel. This is good trashy fun.

Author: jamiemarks-1 from United Kingdom
7 August 2010

I didn't like the first Transporter but my dad who loves the films propelled me to give the sequel a go and as it turns out this was enjoyable tosh and actually good trashy fun. Yes the script and dialogue is still cheesy with little character or plot development but the action is even more enjoyable than the first with some terrific stunts, nice scenery and great soundtrack music.

What propelled me to give this a higher rating was the acting, which is much better. Jason Statham has improved vastly since the first one and has more emotion in his voice. Francois Berleand who returns as Inspector Tarconi provides the comic element and is much more entertaining in this as he has more to do. But the revelation is Amber Valletta who played the mother Audrey Billings. Her acting was terrific (which is surprising for a film like this). You feel the love and worry she has for her son when he is kidnapped. She has been under-rated in this and deserves more praise. She gives the movie more heart and emotion. All in all I enjoyed this more than the first as the acting has improved and dare I say this had heart.

A lot like the original.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
2 May 2010

Transporter 2 is set in Miami where transporter Frank Martin (Jason Statham) is now living after the incidents of the original film, he has been acting as a chauffeur to Audrey (Amber Valletta) & Jefferson Billings (Matthew Modine) young son Jack (Hunter Clary). While taking Jack to the doctors for some jabs gangsters try to inject Jack with a deadly virus but Frank manages to prevent this, however the gangsters lead by Italian criminal Gianni Chellini (Alessandro Gassman) kidnap Jack for which the authorities blame Frank. On the run from the police Frank is determined to get Jack back but when Jack is returned seemingly unharmed Jack has to convince somebody that he is in great danger as is everyone else from the deadly virus but no-one will believe him & Frank has to go it alone to stop Chellini & prevent thousands of innocent people being killed by the deadly virus...

This French American co-production was directed by Louis Leterrier & has the same sort of tone as the original The Transporter (2002) which no bad thing to be fair, while not a huge improvement on the original Transporter 2 is certainly up there & I would say just as good. Unfortunately while Transporter 2 shares all the positives of the original like the cool action scenes, likable character's, a quick pace (Transporter 2 runs a mere 16 seconds less than The Transporter which may or may not have been deliberate) & an enjoyable sense of fun & adventure it also shares many of the original's flaws with a weak script full of holes & moments that are just plain silly like when Frank spots a bomb under his car he drives off a ramp, does a mid air spin during which the hook of a crane snags the bomb & removes it from the underside of his car before it blows up while Frank just lands the car perfectly & zooms off, also if your going to make a deadly virus & release it why make such a small amount of antidote? Surely if the virus is as contagious as is said it would have the potential to wipe out thousands if not millions across the globe including those who were responsible for it? How did Frank get into the plane at the end? Anyway, once again like the original if you can forgive the sloppy writing & plotting Transporter 2 is a lot of fun, there's a bit more plot here with the relationship between Frank, Jack & Audrey while Jefferson as a politician is the center of a complicated assassination attempt using a deadly virus, I suppose Transporter 2 tries for some darker thriller elements amongst the high octane action. Frank is back with his rules & again those are mentioned constantly, the French policeman is back in a pointless cameo role even though it's nice to have him back although the entire film is shifted from France in Europe to Miami in America.

Again the action scenes are where Transporter 2 shines but they do stretch credibility at times & are often very silly, there's a bit more variety to them this time & they are on an even bigger scale from exploding buildings to car chases to a silly bit where a car jumps from a car park to an unfinished office building (how did they get back to the ground?) to a cool if silly scene in which Frank chases a bus on a jet-ski, the climax is great as Frank & Chellini fight it out on an out of control plane as it does barrel-rolls & some really great balletic fight scenes which go for energy & spectacle rather than brutality as once again Frank uses whatever he can to beat the bad guy's including a fire hose. The film looks great once again, nice sunny bright locations, some really sexy fast cars, guy's in sharp suits & Lola the female assassin who doesn't dress in much & wields twin laser sighted sub machine-guns. The whole film has a clean, bright, colourful & sharp look about it. I suppose Transporter 2 is pure spectacle, apart from the dazzling action scenes & bright colourful look the plot is a mess & not that much is going on. I did like it though, hell I'm easily pleased I guess.

With a supposed budget of about $32,000,000 this was made because of strong DVD sales of the original apparently, filmed in Miami in Florida. The production values are good & you get plenty of action for your money although the CGI computer effects are poor at times & I mean really poor. The original had little CGI while this one has a fair bit like Frank falling out of a window ten storeys high or a car jumping from building to building or the out of control plane at the end & none of it particularly impresses. The acting is alright, again Jason Statham proves to be a likable hero.

Transporter 2 basically shares both the positives & negatives of the original & is pretty much more of the same although this one is maybe a little bit too silly at times for it's own good. Great action & a really nice colourful look to the film help disguise the plot holes & lack of a story, overall I enjoyed it for what it was. Followed by Transporter 3 (2008).

2nd class delivery - 57%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
9 August 2006

"Jason Statham returns to his signature role..." declared the blurb on the back of the DVD box, though I feel that the part of Frank Martin isn't exactly the most challenging of parts. Look rugged and do kung-fu... yep, Statham can do this but anything requiring genuine acting ability might make him break out into a sweat. But neither this nor "The Transporter" are bothered about getting any awards come Oscar time. This is straight-up, undiluted action with an extremely simplistic plot and if you're looking for anything else then I'd advise you to leave right now.

Statham does indeed return as Frank Martin, a former special forces beefcake who has carved out a new career as a transporter. Having relocated from south France to Miami, he now works as a chauffeur to a US politician (Matthew Modine) and his wife (Amber Valetta) picking their son up from school. But soon, their son is kidnapped and Frank is implicated with his disappearance. But Frank is determined to get him back and is soon on the trail of drug baron Gianni (Alessandro Gassman) and his psychotic hit-man lover Lola (model Kate Nauta). But has Frank bitten off more than he can chew, especially when it emerges that this is more than a simple kidnapping?

"Transporter 2" asks a simple question: how ridiculous can an action film get before you lose interest? We witness scenes which defy belief time and time again and by the end, you'll either have had a whale of a time and thoroughly enjoyed this mindless action film or you will have switched off, shaking your head in disappointed disbelief. True, the first film isn't exactly known for being realistic but this is just insane. Frank and his very nice black Audi go through Hell and high water without getting a scratch! As I've said, Statham goes through the motions with an American accent that can best be described as "occasional" but almost everybody else over-acts or sleepwalks. There is also so much about the cohesion of the plot that makes no sense, never mind the fact that you have action sequences that beggars belief. Whenever Frank needs a clue, he just rings up his French cop buddy (François Berléand, also returning from the first film) who has been held at the station (which is never explained, while I'm thinking about it) and gets him to check stuff on the computer. If police work is that easy then surely the baddies would have been rounded up long before the end of the film.

If you can forgive the madness on screen then the chances are, you'll really enjoy this film. It's almost the perfect blokes film - great for a rental, maybe but this is definitely not for you if you're female, older than your late-twenties or prefer your action films plausible, let alone accurate. And despite the insistence on the DVD extras of the amount of stunt work required, there is some very dodgy CG effects like the bullet traces left behind and the frankly awful skyscraper-hopping Audi. "Transporter 2" puts you under no illusion as to its nature but compare this to another Besson-scripted, Leterrier-helmed action film - "Unleashed" - and this is plain old-fashioned comic book nonsense. "Unleashed" has a better lead actor (Jet Li), an more intelligent story and just-as-impressive action scenes that don't leave the bitter taste of disbelief in the mouth. It's not the worst action film I've ever seen and if I'm honest, I did enjoy "Transporter 2" - up to a point. By the time of the final confrontation, I was reaching for my mobile and booting up a game of Backgammon, making this film the first in ages to fail my so-called Nokia Test. If you can ignore the blatant gaps between reality and impossibility then you'll enjoy this film but please, don't expect anything stunningly brilliant or original.

Not the worst action movie/ but certainly not the best

Author: RoodyMan from United States
28 January 2006

I don't reveal any information that couldn't be seen in the trailers of this movie, so unless you haven't seen them, this shouldn't give anything away. I do agree with the common comments about this movies unrealistic moments. There are at least 5 extremely ridiculous scenes, however, I don't necessarily find any of them to be involved with the hand-to-hand combat. I only believe that the vehicle scenes were pathetic. What from jumping a car off a huge building, and somehow landing it on a floor of a building under construction; to a machine gun blowing a helicopter up in about 3 bullets. Oh, and let's not forget the notorious super jet. Somehow reaching impressive heights in a matter of moments, then spinning completely out of control, but somehow regains control several times, only to radically lose it again. However, the actual fight scenes I found quite satisfying. They seemed nothing more far-fetched than any of Jet Li's movies (coming to mind Jet Li taking on roughly 30 black belts with weapons, in the end police station scene of Kiss of the Dragon). I did notice that during one or two scenes, they tended to do the boring one-enemy-at-a-time routine. I hate that, you have the hero hitting one guy while the others wait their turn. Other than that, the other scenes seemed to be adequately entertaining. Not to mention, the music in this movie seemed to flow quite well. I do find that the main plot was exceptionally decent, but they did seem to trail from it at times. At least it seemed more in depth than the first one. Now don't get me wrong, I like The Transporter a lot, but the whole plot behind it was kind of simple. One more thing, Jason Stathom is turning out in more and more movies, and I feel that he deserves it. I like him as an actor, and find him to be very believable. Not to mention, I enjoy him doing most of his own stunts. Always makes you respect an actor in action films more. Overall, if you're looking for an action movie, and don't mind several extraordinarily unbelievable car/plane scenes, then I would recommend seeing this movie at least once. I've seen it more than once, and I still don't mind it.

Know why you elected to watch it and you're OK

Author: gradyharp from United States
15 January 2006

Luc Besson and Louis Leterrier created such a terrific action thriller with THE TRANSPORTER in 2002, giving Jason Statham the opportunity to create a man of crime so clever and dignified that the film was an instant success. And so what does that mean in movieland? If a little is good, a lot is better. Wrong! As is often the case with sequels the initial creative bite gets diluted as though success of the original will carry the sequel without much work. In the case of TRANSPORTER 2 the story and supporting cast border on the ridiculous, but if you're watching the film just to see Jason Statham in action, then you'll be satisfied.

The appealing aspect of Transporter 1 was the setting - the French Riviera that served as a gorgeous background for all the derring-do of a top-notch cast. Now in Miami, in a role far less interesting than the original plot of Transporter 1, the film strains credibility and that detracts from the thrills. But the good news is that Jason Statham is intact and as fascinating and dexterous as ever. You just have to settle for that (which is a lot) and the movie will satisfy. Let's hope they don't make Statham consider a T 3. Grady Harp

Could have been better

Author: Loganwolfey from United States
30 November 2005

I must say hearing that there was another Transporter movie really excited me. I was all Gun ho for it. I got to the movie, got in my seat and readied my popcorn and coke. The movie started off good but I soon realized that the people who made this sequel took advantage of there fans and wasted 87 Min's of my life and my money.

We all know that the great thing about the first transporter movie was that the action the fights and the story was different and great. Yes the fights and action would have only been possible if you had a horse shoe up your rectum but they were still shot with some sort of realism to them. Well that was lost with this sequel. Including a car stunt that didn't even remotely look real where the car does a spin in midair and still manges to land on its wheels and a fight with a woman who seems to hover through her whole fight sequence. The story was good and there was still some great fight sequences as long as they left out the matrix/hidden tiger flying butterfly crap but the several mess ups just totally ruined this movie for me. Fans might want to wait for the rental store on this one if they even watch it at all.