IMDb > Christmas with the Kranks (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Christmas with the Kranks

Christmas with the Kranks More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 21: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

I thought it was good.

Author: damsel-in-distress from Canada
18 January 2006

The two seconds before the credits sucked. I am very sorry but the whole Snowman waving? And then Marty flying by on a Volkswagen? If he had just left and said, "I told you you needed an umbrella" I'd be a happy woman, because everyone at that point SHOULD know that he is actual Santa Clause... The snowman and the Santa reference made me wanna cry a little bit. I just finished saying to my Mom, "If Marty flies by on a sled and says MERRY Christmas!!! I'll die." And then the snowman waved and I said, "Okay that's just as bad" and then the merry Christmas thing happened and I wanted to cry a little bit... I liked the whole story up until those five seconds... Yes that's right... I would be happy just figuring out on my own that Marty was Santa... Because I had when they were in the liquor store. It was easy. And it made me a little sick because it never seems that they used that little subplot enough (sarcasm). I thought the humor was good, the storyline was pretty funny. just... the Santa... and the... snowman... I have docked this movie 1 * out of ten because of Santa 1* because of the snowman and 1* because it could have been less predictable.

Kranks has its moments

Author: cjboog from United States
11 December 2005

Christmas with the Kranks is no masterpiece, but at the same time it is strangely enjoyable. The ending is very heartfelt and "christmas spirity" which makes for a fairly satisfying conclusion. There are some very funny jokes in the movie, and Tim Allen brings his usual on screen charisma. Allen and Curtis snipping at each other reminded me a lot of my parents and overall I enjoyed the film. It was no deep plot, laugh until you cry humor, but Kranks has its moments and you are left feeling good. I don't know if the film would have held together without Tim Allen, as he brought 80% of the big laughs, but overall a decent effort, not less than expected.

Wait for the DVD release.

Author: ncpfilms-1 from California
28 November 2004

I normally like Tim Allen movies a lot, however i found this one somewhat disappointing. I'll start with the good points, which are few in my opinion. First off, there were a decent amount of moments that made me laugh, and that is always good. Also, the characters and their situation is easily believable, the movie seems true for me. On the other side, however, i found this movie to be, well, bland. Too much time was spent portraying so little. In the end, i believe this film would have been better suited as a 30-45 minute short. The plot is too simple, and the main tension is drawn out too long, not to mention it isn't very intense to begin with. In conclusion, I would advise waiting for DVD, its not worth the time or effort to go see it in theaters. If you want to see a holiday movie with the kids, id would more so advice The Polar Express.

Sometimes witty sometimes a little corny

Author: lollipoplustkill from Walnut Creek, CA
13 November 2004

I just got back from the screener. The movie its self was OK. Nothing to great, but then again nothing too bad. The actual plot was some-what unique, but the underlining story was very common for this sort of movie. Very much a seasonal movie to bring the kids to. It had some nice humor in for the older people though. If you're a Tim Allen fan you probably will like most of his jokes through out the movie. I recommend waiting for DVD/video, but if you see an x-mas movie this year, this might be the one to catch. The chemistry between the two main characters (Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis) was just like in Home Improvement. I like it and all, but honestly it's not my kind of movie, and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it.

Eh, the First Half Was Okay

Author: slimer8489 from United States
5 May 2015

This is a movie that my family loves, and since they love it, I got to witness it. Christmas with the Kranks isn't bad, it's just... kind of boring.

I mean, the first half was good. It set up our plot, it introduced the characters, it did a few jokes here and there, but then the second half came, the moment when the Kranks decide "Screw going on vacation! We're going to stay home so we can please our 20-something daughter!" You may be saying, "Aw, come on! How could that be bad? They're just getting things all ready!" Oh, believe me. It gets bad. The second half just goes on and on and on, from the scene with the burglar, to the scene with Luthor actually wanting to do the cruise while they're having the party, to the Marty bit, it's just so, so long and so, so boring. It just drags on and on and on and it feels like the movie isn't ever going to end! That's what has always bothered me about this movie. But on the other side, it has some good parts, but that second half really gets me. But then again, this was based off of a book, so I'm guessing the long and padded second half was also in the book, but you don't always have to follow the book when it comes to making a movie. I'm sure fans of the source material won't get mad that you didn't follow all of the book's aspects, but I never read the book, so why should I be talking?

Anyway, that's Christmas with the Kranks. It has an okay premise, but the second half really goes on like a telethon. It sort of has the Christmas feel to it, but it's not the same feel as Deck the Halls. Hey! At least there's snow!.... It may be good to catch on TV when it's on, and that's pretty much it.

Not quite a Christmas turkey, but it is still rather dire

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 January 2011

Christmas with the Kranks is far from the best Christmas movie, but it is not the worst either, that's Deck the Halls. That said, despite a nice soundtrack, decent camera work and scenery and a talented cast that includes Tim Allen, Jamie Lee Curtis and Dan Aykroyd it is pretty bad. A lot of the problem is the film's humour, there are some raise-a-smile sight gags, but overall it is very unfunny and predictable. The story is also rather bland and has some dumb, incoherent parts, complete with a cloying, cliché ending. The direction is lacking too, and the pace is lethargic. The cast do try their best, and they do have some good moments and decent chemistry, but they deserved much more with a tighter script and direction. The real problem with Christmas with the Kranks is the lack of Christmas spirit, at the end of the day it all comes across as cold and mean-spirited. Overall, not absolutely dreadful but with the cast as talented as they are it should have been better. 3/10 Bethany Cox

Very Good!!

Author: witnesswithakhall from United States
11 December 2008

I actually thought it was a good movie.If you haven't seen the movie its good go rent it, but don't read the rest it might spoil the ending. There was maybe one curse word in the whole movie. I love that with a two year running around we can watch movie's that are a little more decent than others. We have a DVD Player that cuts out any cursing so it bleeped out only once. I love Tim Allen, he's so funny to me anyway, I'm not hard to please. I thought that Luther was being a little selfish at the end. I don't think going on a cruise instead of participating in Christmas traditions was wrong, hey they could have save money. (but who wouldn't want to be with family & friends during the Holidays) I thought his neighbors should have respected that, but at the end when his daughter surprises the parents, he should have been a little more excited about his daughter being home for the Holidays. I'm not hard to please when it comes to movies. I can tell the viewer that didn't like it must have been a man, only men down chick flicks:) I think thats what made it funny, that you don't see nosy neighbors that care so much to do the extreme things that they did. I hope this post helps someone out. God Bless!!

Tim Allen likes him some Jamie Lee Curtis...

Author: freakfire-1 from Texas, United States
8 October 2008

Jamie Lee Curtis, the woman known for her curves in "Halloween" and "True Lies", is combined with 'Tool Time' Tim Allen for a Christmas movie. I guess that answers the question: "Can Tim Allen get the same women Arnold Schwarzenegger can get?". Unfortuneatly, yes he can. Although I wouldn't want Mr. Allen to run for political office.

What we have is, for the most part, an average Christmas movie with the main protagonist not wanting to join the festivities. Instead, with JLC, he plans a Caribbean vacation. And while it works for the most part, it all unravels when his daughter decides to come home for X-Mas unexpectedly.

It sure does take a long time for the film to get going. Seriously, over an hour of the film is about Allen and Curtis avoiding Christmas. And while there were some kind of crazy moments, nothing that was really funny. The only time it was kind of funny was when Tim Allen And Jamie Lee Curtis go to the tanning salon and wear skimpy bikini outfits.

So many things could have been funny. We could have had Allen and Curtis just hating Christmas, much like Bill Murray did in "Groundhog's Day". Instead, we are left to ponder. Nobody goes insane. It is, for the most part, everybody lives happily ever after type at the end.

Where is the comedy? Jamie Lee Curtis in a two-piece bikini and Tim Allen in a one-piece bikini is not enough to keep this film afloat. Overall, below average. Bad script hurt this one. "D+"

Nice Lil' Xmas Film

Author: richio_r87 from United Kingdom
5 March 2007

If like me you shake with excitement at the first mention of x-mas, even if its mid July you will appreciate this film. It has all what you would expect from any stereotypical x-mas film and more. With a storyline more over the top than the jokes you find in your Christmas crackers over dinner and more lovable characters than the Muppets Christmas Carol i can safely say you will want to put your trimmings up early after sitting down with this film and a cup of Eggnogg. Its almost a guarantee you will laugh at a number of different scenes but at the same time be deeply touched by others. I wouldn't say this film was up there with classics such as Home Alone and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation but it is worth a look and will definitely be included in my play-list this coming Christmas.

Yeah, it's stupid, but cut it some slack

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
2 January 2007

It seems like on IMDb, a lot of people bash the newer Christmas movies, which in some ways I can understand, because most of the older movies could never ever be touched like A Christmas Story or It's A Wonderful Life, but I think we do need to be more open to these new family Christmas movies. I borrowed this movie from my friend and both her and I agree that it really wasn't all that bad. Although that it reminded me of another very bad 7th Heaven episode, I have to admit that I laughed a couple times, you have to just let up about these types of movies.

The Krank's daughter, Blaire, has just gone away for the Peace Corps. and she will be away for a year, figuring it might be a good chance to think of only themselves, the parents decide to skip Christmas. But the Christmas loving neighborhood won't hear of it, they have their hearts set on getting the Kranks to love Christmas again and get all the decorations out along with the annual Chrismas Eve party they through. But they won't hear of it... until Blaire unexpectedly decides to come home for Christmas with a big surprise!

Over all, I wouldn't say that this was a fantastic Christmas movie, but it wasn't a bad one at all. It had flaws, a lot of movies do, but we need to cut it a break. You have got to admit the botox scene with Tim was pretty funny, even if it was a little over the top. So, honestly, just let go and have fun, you can't take this type of movie seriously, otherwise, what's the point of watching it if you just expect bad?