IMDb > Christmas with the Kranks (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Christmas with the Kranks

Christmas with the Kranks More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 22: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Cancel the Kranks, keep Christmas

Author: cougarblue from United States
23 December 2007

The movie tries so hard to be funny but with the very stilted characters and terrible writing the tension never builds, the movie simply isn't funny. The sole bright spot is halfway through when the Kranks decide to un-cancel Christmas, and attempt to make everything right awaiting the daughters unexpected trip home. Jamie Lee Curtis and Tim Allen vs a flock of mean and vengeful neighbors along with police officers, because they aren't decorating their house is supposed to be hilarious, but only comes across as unrealistic. You don't warrant arrest and destruction by not decorating your house, that needs to be convincing for the movie to work but it doesn't. See The Christmas Story, Home Alone, and any other Christmas movies, but skip the Kranks. For those who love classics, don't miss The Bishops Wife, Holiday Inn (not White Christmas the re-make), and Christmas in Connecticut.

Excellent

Author: pookiespop from United States
13 December 2006

Although my all-time favorite movie is It's A Wonderful Life, Kranks is quickly becoming my 2nd favorite holiday movie. Although my dad, brother, and I like to enjoy National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation as a yearly holiday tradition, Christmas With The Kranks is becoming my own tradition. The true meaning of Christmas is evident in this movie as a man who puts his heart and soul into a vacation, learns that it feels a lot better to give, and to bless others. After snubbing the entire neighborhood, Luther is still blessed by all of their efforts to help him and his family. I enjoyed who Marty really is as well, and I loved how Marty was used throughout the movie. I can't watch this movie without crying and laughing so hard that I cry. This movie covers every emotion you could want to feel in a feel-good holiday movie.

Right down there with 'Surviving Christmas'

Author: Pookyiscute from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
4 January 2006

I saw a few previews for this last Christmas, and thought that it looked hilarious, and although I'd heard dismal reviews over it, I gave it a chance, since not only had I heard that the book was excellent, and that it was written by none other than John Grishman, but because sometimes, the reviewers and I don't always see eye to eye.

So, I gave it a try. I am so sorry I did. This movie was so bad, that it was hard to watch. I only stuck with it to the end, because not only was I really bored, but because I enjoyed the characters, too. Jammie Lee Curtis was excellent in this, and portrayed the role of a tired, older, unattractive housewife to the T. Tim Allen, was also good in this, but I feel that he's been a bit type casted in movies ever since 'The Santa Clause'. He seems to be doing a lot of Christmas movies lately ever since then, and in fact starring in reprisals of the movie, twice. Dan Akroyd, must be looking for work these days, and it's actually a bit sad when you think he was nominated for an Academy Award once, and now he's making a stupid slap-stick comedy that made Dumb & Dumberer look intelligent. But, the few things that I will give the film credit for are these: 1. It had a good heart-felt message towards the end of the picture 2. There were a few funny moments, that will genuinely make you laugh aloud 3. The film was very character driven, and that's what had most of its appeal and finally, 4. It is extremely clean. So, it's good for watching with the whole family during the holidays. However, with this being said, if you're looking for a family tradition, like 'Christmas Vacation', this is not the place to look. And, most of what went on, was so totally unrealistic, that its hard to watch at times, because its almost to the point of frustrating, and irritating. However, because of the fine job Curtis and Allen did in the film, I'm willing to overlook some of the films faults, and give it a full 4. But, like I said, 'Surviving Christmas' is just a small notch below this, and I wouldn't be surprised, if from that film, they got some of this one's plots.

It won't seem like Christmas without you.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
18 November 2005

Chris Columbus is responsible for this comedic screenplay of a John Grisham novel. Put the nix on Christmas. Just skip the holiday. Luther(Tim Allen)and Nora(Jamie Lee Curtis)Krank set about to put the kibosh on the usual Norman Rockwell holiday doings by taking a sea cruise. With their daughter away for the first time; there is no reason to decorate or even put Frosty on the roof. The neighborhood is in shock and dismay...no Kranks for Christmas. Uh oh, Blair Krank(Julie Gonzalo)decides to come home; now Luther and Nora need to rush about to prepare for the holiday after all. Situational comedy that gets old in a hurry. The supporting cast is full of familiar faces: Dan Aykroyd, M. Emmet Walsh, Cheech Marin, Felicity Huffman, Tom Poston and Caroline Rhea.

Almost a Disaster

Author: bob-rutzel from United States
9 November 2005

The Kranks (Allen, Curtis) decide to skip Christmas since their daughter is going to Peru with the Peace Corps. They plan on a Caribbean cruise instead. Their neighbors and co-workers treat them like Mr. and Mrs Scrooge and just as they are about to leave, the daughter calls and says she is coming home for Christmas. OMG!

I never have seen a movie where the first half was a total disaster and the second half, while not all that good, actually saves itself….barely. The first half was like an eight-year old getting a Brownie movie camera and deciding to make a movie. No, wait. That does a great injustice to the eight-year old, who I am sure would have made the first half of this movie a lot better. The first half was completely dumb. And, there was room for it to be great.

John Grisham wrote the book Skipping Christmas, which is a far better title than what we have. I am sure Mr. Grisham is seeking his lawyers for his reputation being besmirched with this disaster. He didn't write the play-script and should have.

Tim Allen knew this was bad and he played it straight as did Ms. Curtis. In fact everyone did okay acting-wise. It was the script itself that was bad. Yes, and the direction was bad too. This all turns around, somewhat, when the news of the daughter returning is announced. What helps this turn-around is guess what? The music. Christmas music has a way of not letting you see the bad things. You sing along and everyone is happy. Cheap shot, I say.

Funny moments were few. Luther Krank making his front yard a virtual ice rink so the neighbors can't stand on the lawn and harass them. Here the neighbors slipped all over the place and that was funny and the scene should have lasted longer. There were laughs here, but the scene was cut too short. Don't we laugh when someone slips on a banana peel or ice? Sure we do. Don't we want to keep watching someone slip on a banana peel or on ice? Sure we do. We could watch it all day long. Cheech Martin as a policeman with dead-pan humor gave us the rest of the laughs. He should have had a bigger part.

Dan Aykroyd looked like Tom Hanks with a fuller face. Can you see the resemblance?

Yes, it is a disaster and if it weren't for the music and some pretty good dialogue in the second half, this would not have saved itself. But it did.

Do we still have the Peace Corps?

Christmas With The Kranks

Author: AWEST1BATFAN66 from United States
28 March 2005

What do you get when you pair up Tim Allen & Jamie Lee Curtis?? You get a Christmas Stocking filled with holiday cheer, warmth, comedy,craziness, above all fun!!! I enjoyed it so much,I saw it 3 times in theaters. I will definitely buy when it comes out on DVD. I'll be adding this one to my Favorite Holiday Movies that I watch during December and Christmas... Dan Ackroyd adds his own brand of humor that makes it funny! Some funny scenes with Luther (Tim Allen)on roof of his house attempting to put up the traditional Frosty in his neighborhood, shades of Home Improvement!! Great scene in grocery store with Jamie Lee Curtis fighting to grab the last turkey in her neighborhood store!!!

You will feel the heart of Christmas probably stop after seeing this movie.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
25 January 2005

This movie makes me wish ELF was still in theaters. It is only good for a few laughs. But the rest of the jokes are forever lame, and the story seems to drag itself into the ground. This movie makes BAD SANTA seem interesting. Tim Alen and Jamie Lee Curtis seem to be trying to hard, they really forgot how to be funny. Dan Aykroyd is the only one does not need to try as much, because he did not forget how to be funny. Erik Per Sullivan(remember him from Malcolm In The Middle, and Unfaithful) is charming as Aykroyds son. The story is about the Kranks(Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis) who decide to skip Christmas and go on a cruise, after they feel their daughter Blair(Julie Gonzalo,remember her from Freaky Friday, A Cinderella Story, and DodgeBall) probably won't be home for Christmas. But what the Kranks are about to discover, is that skipping Christmas is not has easy has it seems. This movie is bored with itself, it makes you wish Christmas will go away fast. Thank goodness for THE POLAR EXPRESS.

Interesting

Author: philkenn from Ireland
18 January 2005

This movie was originally a book.It was originally called 'Skipping Christmas' by John Grisham. As most people would agree the book is always better than the movie. Well in this case the movie is equally as good as the book. One problem was at the start we see Nora going off somewhere at the airport. We don't know why???!!!! We don't know where she's going???? It is a bit frustrating watching all the angry neighbours getting angry at Lutor for some reason.They are ridiculously making comments on his antics this Christmas. And at the end of the movie Santa rides off into the night. I mean where the hell did Santa come into the story??? Its about skipping Christmas not believing in Santa!!!! Anyway it is a good family Christmas movie!!

slow at first, fun at end

Author: eternalbutterfly from United States
25 December 2004

if you're going to only watch the first 20 minutes of a film, don't go to Christmas with the Kranks, but if you're there for the long run, it's worth it. I admit, the first about 15 minutes of the movie... boring, slow, and not worth my time. It's like they were saying things just to say things. HOWEVER, as time went on, I found the movie fun and engaging. I will admit the characters were overly dramatic, but it added to the sarcasm of the movie. The movie is meant to say all the things you don't want to do around the holiday season, while showing the good end of the holiday season. Tim Allen sure knows his Christmas movies!

the Santa Claus was better

Author: joliet-jake from chicago illinois
10 December 2004

i saw this movie on a date with my girlfriend. I was thinking you know this will be good because Tim Allen is in it and he was good in the Santa Claus but I was wrong. I mean the movie has its good points but it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. She had a great time but I thought it could have been better. For those who do not know this movie is based on a John Grishm book Year Without Christmas. the over all premise of the plot was a good idea but i guess the script could have been better. If you have a desire to see this for the same reason i did maybe you will find it a bit better than i did butt I guess that it could have been better. But because it made me laugh and i had a pretty good time 7 out of 10