IMDb > Christmas with the Kranks (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Interesting

Author: kevin shi (shihaijiang142@msn.com) from ShangHai, China
1 December 2005

The Krank family decided to skip Christmas and go on a vacation instead because their daughter wouldn't come back. But their enthusiastic neighbors didn't agree with their action. Although the neighbors tried everything they could to persuade Kranks, it didn't work. When Kranks were preparing to leave, a sudden call from their daughter changed everything. Their daughter would come back. Time obviously was not enough to prepare the impending Christmas for just both of them.

When I watched that Luther Krank gave the travel tickets to his neighbor who he didn't like, I was moved by the scene. Leniency is virtue indeed.

Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis showed fully their comedian ability. Especially Jamie's exaggerating performance was better. She is my favorite comedian actress. I also liked her Freaky Friday, A fish called Wanda.

A funny Christmas movie. 7/10

Don't bother with this wretched piece of crap

Author: mrfabulous1025
27 July 2014

When a man and his wife decide to have a second honeymoon instead of an overblown expensive Christmas because they think they will be without their twenty something daughter, the plot of this hideousness exposes itself. They are made to feel guilty and harassed like they were child molesters by an assortment of evil and obnoxious neighbors and coworkers. Who are these jerks who think they are better than the Kranks. The Kranks would have an excuse "if they were Jewish" although the mention of the real reason for Christmas seems to elude the writers of this slapstick drivel. My birthday is on Christmas, I happen to believe in the holiday and I work retail. I find the horribleness of the totally commercialized Christmas ruining every frame of this disaster. It shows the worst parts of a "Christmas" celebration with some token tries at the end that are supposed to redeem its vile and selfish characters. This is easily in competition for one of the worst Christmas movies ever. Putrid and creepy this one should make Tim Allen ashamed. If you really want see a good movie about Christmas try The Family Stone with Sarah Jessica Parker and Diane Keaton. Its not slapstick stupid but it is a much richer holiday experience,

The Grinch did NOT steal this Christmas….

Author: SimonJack from United States
10 April 2011

But he sure seemed to have stolen the hearts and sense of humor of many who have watched and commented on this film. "Christmas with the Kranks" is a mostly clean, clever and witty, film without the vulgar and crass stuff of so many other more recent "holiday" movies. It's a great comedy that's fit for the whole family, although the humor will be mostly understood by the older kids and adults.

I just came across the film when organizing my library, and recalled the poor rating it got but how much fun it was to me. So, these comments are written in the spring with the film still fresh in my mind – that's how good it is.

What's not to like about this movie? It covers so much of what happens in middle America when Christmas rolls around. But, here's a family whose only child is grown and she's off to work in a social program in a foreign country. So mom and dad can skip all the usual holiday chores and regalia in their neighborhood, go away on a romantic cruise alone, and still save money. Then the complications set in, and what a hoot as Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis go from one miscue to another with neighbors and friends. It's got a great cast, and everyone delivers well.

What's funnier than Tim's fruit cocktail dribbling down his chin because he can't close his mouth to chew after receiving a Botox injection? Or, Jamie Lee stepping out of a tanning parlor dressed only in her bikini right in the middle of a mall crowd of onlookers – including her parish priest? Or Dan Aykroyd, the neighborhood ringmaster, organizing the rescue effort to set up the Kranks' Christmas house when daughter Blair changes her mind and flies home.

This movie is full of gaffes and laughs, one-after-another, as Tim "Grinch" Allen gets back into the Christmas spirit with family and neighbors. Of all the very funny Christmas holiday movies over the years – there are some quite good ones a few decades back (black and white), I rank "Christmas with the Kranks" right behind the very best one – National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. So, don't listen to the sour faces who have no sense of humor, or who don't dig clean fun. Watch this film with family and friends around the holidays this year and next – or at any time in between. Unless you're a Grinch, you're sure to enjoy it.

Grow up and let live, people!

Author: vxballxqt from United States
26 December 2008

This movie was great. I love Tim Allen, and that's what drew me in. Yes, the audacious neighbors were a little annoying, but I think that was on purpose. This movie was not stupid. I laughed a lot during this movie, and I love the parts where Nora is trying to get the honey ham. I want to cover my eyes, because it's so frustrating, but I can't not watch it. The end is also very good and heart-warming: what Luther does for those people, how the whole neighborhood pulls together to help Luther after he's made a complete fool of himself, and the whole thing with "Marty," a.k.a. Santa Clause. I did think the part where he drove a Volkswagen bug instead of a sleigh was kind of nonessential and maybe a little dumb, but I have to give the movie a nine out of ten because it satisfied me. People who are against this movie need to just let go and let live; it is a good holiday movie, and if you weren't blinded by your uptight standards, you would enjoy it. I don't mean to offend anybody, but I felt like I was taking a personal blow when I read many of the mean and nasty comments.

This film needs to learn the meaning of Christmas

Author: eched
22 December 2005

When Luther Krank decides to skip Christmas, well, he comes off as the only guy with an actual Christmas spirit in the whole film. Let me explain. All his neighbors are in a mad rush to waste their money and go threw the pointless routines of the season, instead of doing what's really important and being grateful and giving during this time. Okay, just imagine the whole Grinch Stole Christmas theme, only sadly the Grinch never shows up to set the people straight.

Krank seems to be the only guy that gets it. Wanting to make him and his wife happy by taking a much needed brake and going on a vacation. That should spreed some good cheer.

But oh no. In the end the neighbors win and he goes along with the horrid endeavor. Though he does try to help out one family, it's to little to late and the whole film comes off like a massive add to buy Christmas lights.

It's only cute, never funny, and where did all the people go that never had anything to do with Christmas in the first place? This film must take place in some sick and twisted fantasy land because they are no where to be found.

This movie has about as much of a Christmas feel as an add on TV. bah-humbug!

Great movie

Author: BoneCrusher531 from United States
27 November 2010

Here's a movie that comes across as shallow, stupid, not funny, and over the top. In reality however, it's none of those things. Based on John Grisham's, Skipping Christmas, the Kranks do just that. Well, they try. Christmas with the Kranks is a different kind of Christmas movie, trying not to follow in the footsteps of classic films before it. Instead this an unique movie with a unique story. Sure it has a few issues, some parts of the plot are just plain dumb, and some of the humor doesn't quite work, but none of that really matters as here is a movie that, while it doesn't tell the viewer what Christmas is all about, it does its best at showing some important aspects of our Christmas culture, and the importance of tradition

Terrible

Author: james_cocos-snowboots (jamescocossnowboots@gmail.com) from Canada
23 February 2006

This must be the worst movie ever made. It's not even bad in an original way! All of these gags (I use the term loosely)have been used many times before. Unless you have a fetish for horrible actors like Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis there is no way that you could tolerate watching this traumatizingly unoriginal film. Tim Allen runs into a store a lot! The daughter leaves and empty nest syndrome ensues! This is exciting stuff! I managed to survive ten minutes of this crap! Hopefully you will not have to. Don't worry, this film cannot contain a spoiler, because it is impossible to sit through thirty minutes of this movie.

An Extremist Piece of Crap

Author: anthony-rigoni from United States
21 March 2014

This movie and Elmo Saves Christmas are the reasons why I should reconsider celebrating Christmas. When I was 13, I didn't know better. The reviews on Youtube, however, made me think about how bad this is.

The movie stars Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis(Why?!) as a couple who is going to go on vacation for Christmas. Of course, the town they live in gets wind of this and think that they should celebrate Christmas or else. What the living hell is with these people?! Who sponsored this film, the Westboro Baptist Church?! Okay, first off, you dumb-asses, you can't force someone to stay and spend Christmas and decorate their houses so that you people can get an award. Of course, the Kranks are no better when they hear that their daughter is coming home and lied to her face.

The acting is too corny to comprehend. Just like the Felix the Cat movie, I can't find a single character who I'm suppose to feel sorry for(Except for the elderly couple near the end where one of them has cancer, but I think you get the gist).

So, what moral do we have here, folks? The so-called moral this movie is screaming out is that you better celebrate Christmas or Frosty the Snowman will kill you in your sleep(Thank you for demonizing Frosty, you jackasses). To make a long story short, if you're thinking about getting this movie on DVD this Christmas, I suggest you don't.

Remember, if you skip Christmas, then you're a heartless jackass...

Author: CoolMovieNerd23 from United States
20 December 2014

For a movie that tries to have a heart, it just fails.

So this is Christmas With The Kranks, one of the worst Christmas movies I have ever seen. You wanna know what's strange? The fact that this is actually based on a book, WRITTEN BY JOHN GRISHAM!!! Yes, the writer of The Firm and A Time To Kill wrote a book that was turned into this film. I've never read the book, but I just hope that it's less bad than THIS.

So, the movie stars Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis, as a couple that has a daughter going to Peru for Christmas. So as a result, Tim Allen's character decides to skip Christmas in favor for a 10-day- cruise, except NOBODY approves of this. However, their daughter, at the last minute, says that she's coming back engaged.

Okay, for a movie with this premise, it should just be a Hallmark special. Because the movie is 99 minutes long, yet it feels like it should be shorter. I mean, the whole cruise plot line stops 46 minutes INTO the film, and when the daughter comes home, there's like a half-hour left, just to have Tim Allen's character have a change in heart. While giving the cruise to the old man character was somewhat sweet, it barely makes-up for everything, like introducing a burglar character, just to throw in the Santa that sells umbrellas to save the day, and it comes out of NOWHERE.

Not to mention, it tries to have the "Christmas is about family" message, but all I got from this was that skipping Christmas means that you're a jerk, and it comes from the entire neighborhood. I mean,I know Christmas is a big holiday, and if it was up to me, I'd never want to skip Christmas, but if someone I knew wanted to not celebrate Christmas for ONE YEAR, I would be alright with that. But here, the neighborhood is constantly forcing these neighbors to celebrate Christmas, despite the fact that they don't have a family member with them, not to mention that they would probably do this just this ONCE. But it's not just the neighborhood, it's everyone around them.

Our main protagonists literally have a news article about them skipping Christmas! Seriously, is no one considerate? There are like thousands, or even MILLIONS of people who skip Christmas, and you don't see people getting whiny over that!!!

Yet, when they volunteer to throw the Kranks' Christmas party, they call out Tim Allen's character for being selfish. WHY?! I mean, yeah, he was rude, but he just wanted to go away with his wife since their daughter was gone for the holidays, not to mention that they were trying to save money. He was only "selfish" because you guys tried to force him into celebrating Christmas. So yeah, YOU GUYS are the ones that are selfish. You know, I wonder how they would react to the Jewish people.

As for the jokes, they aren't the main flaw, but to be fair, some jokes DID get a laugh out of me, like Tim Allen's character on botox. But some jokes are just really mean-spirited, like the frozen cat gag, because I do want to see a poor kitten nearly freeze to death, and to remind me, you put it in the end credits.

Just, skip this movie. I know that this film tries to have a heart, but it just sends a bad message. Do what you want every Christmas, don't be forced to celebrate it.

A try to skip Christmas movie with Tim Allen!

Author: brownah18 from United States
17 December 2009

Tim Allen (Luther Krank) is having the holidays bring him down and want to get away from all the rain and the work of preparing a regular Christmas. He then shows his wife (Nora Krank) Jamie Lee Curtis a cruise ship that will amount to three thousand dollars which will save them money from the usual costs of Christmas.

With their daughter (Blair Krank) Julie Gonzalo being away at the Peace Core they decide to make a go of going on the cruise and not doing anything that has to do with Christmas including their yearly donations. Their neighbor (Vic Frohmeyer) Dan Aykroyd has a problem with them leaving and not expecting it they get a call from Blair saying she has met a guy and she wants to marry him and bring him home for Christmas. Luther and Nora are ecstatic and try and perform a Christmas miracle to get their neighborhood Christmas party together before she gets back.

Allen is really funny in this movie and it was fun to see him in a Christmas movie. Last seeing him in the movie "Wild Hogs" I sometimes wonder what he is doing these days. Actually he has two movies coming out that he is starring in which will be "Toy Story 3" which is coming out in 2010 and "Wild Hogs 2" which is supposedly coming out 2011 so maybe watch for those if you're a fan. Curtis is coming out with a movie called "You Again" in 2010 and Gonzalo is currently on the TV show "Eli Stone" if you're interested in where some of these stars are now. You might want to check this one out and it should give you laughs for the whole family.

Page 2 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]