IMDb > Power Corps. (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Power Corps. More at IMDbPro »

wow

Author: debatem1 from United States
6 December 2006

This movie is- without a doubt- among the worst movies ever made. Not Mission Impossible: III bad, not Battlefield Earth bad, not even Bloodrayne bad, just flat out bad, and I say that as a true veteran of terrible movies. I wish I could say with some degree of confidence that if only a certain part of the movie had been removed, or a certain aspect of it improved, that it would have been good- but I would be lying. The plot is marginal. The acting is TERRIBLE. The special effects are positively laughable, and worst of all, the entire movie could best be described as a montage of the 10,000 most clichéd movie moments of all time. A cyborg steals a line from Terminator; the intro is stolen (tits and all) from the base camp scene in Starship Troopers; the ship is ripped wholesale from Wing Commander; the sound effects, as mentioned previously, are unbelievably close to half life... the list is endless. In short- it was everything I was looking for when I went to Blockbuster, but I feel a certain relief that I did not actually have to purchase this film in order to witness its violent imperfection.

background noise

Author: wrlang from United States
22 December 2006

Recon 2020 is a star ship troops kind of movie about a recon military group that gets caught on a planet with zombies, cyborgs, and aliens. Lots of action and bloody fights make this film only for gory action lovers. The acting and directing is passable but the very low budget doesn't leave much for the serious film watcher. This movie isn't meant to be anything more than a fun time for cheesy scifi action lovers. There are a handful of good scenes that make you think that the film will get better, but it doesn't. Makes good background noise and you don't miss anything by occasionally looking up to see what's going on. Not something you can just sit an pay attention to.

What hasn't been said?

Author: anarus from United States
7 January 2007

This movie is so incredibly easy to pick apart. My first laugh was when Sharp spoke for the first time, its completely ridiculous. And the green-screen effects, if they're gonna be that bad, why use them. I would have rather seen a $10 cardboard backdrop. Green-screen is not that hard, whats the problem?!?!? I've watched so many bad movies, but they've always had some redeeming quality, this movie has nothing. I wouldn't even count the gory head shots, modern video games have better special effects. This movie goes down as the ONLY movie I have ever seen that I would never watch again. I'm still stunned that a movie like this exists.

A real stinker

Author: gkline-1 from United States
10 December 2006

I've seen a lot of excellent as well as a lot of very bad movies. This is without question one of the very worst movies I have ever had the misfortune to rent. It was so bad that I actually watched it to its completion because of the uniqueness of being witness to such horrible film making. I experienced an almost overwhelming desire to slap the director, producer, actors and everyone associated with the making and release of this bomb. If you have never experienced those feelings then watch this film. I can not recommend this movie to anyone except someone that is such a die-hard sci-fi fan that they absolutely must see each and every release or else perish.

Bad? Let me count the ways.

Author: helibobber
11 December 2006

Words really fail me in describing how awful this movie is. I used a free coupon to rent it so my pain was reduced somewhat. Some of the acting was OK but the scenery, props etc. looked like they were from some home movie made by a group of high schoolers. There was a single brief scene involving a cool battle type droid but you could only see it from a distance and it lasted about five seconds. It probably was lifted from another movie and superimposed in the scene I guess. One of the soldiers wears a custom visor over his helmet which totally obstructs his side and top vision. Like a horse with visors on he could only see what was directly in front of him. How this guy could be a hardened marine and not die within the first minute of combat is beside me. Rent this movie for someone you don't like.

This film won an award???? Huh?? How??

Author: greg_az2 from Arizona, United States
11 December 2006

I agree with the first post. Many clichés, bad editing, RE-use of special effects (same two extras get blown up on the battlefield within a minute of each other--how dumb do they think we are?), acting comparable to a high school play--and much of the other things he said. I nearly split a gut laughing at the stolen line from Terminator. How this film supposedly WON an award for best sci-fi action film is beyond me...unless perhaps it was the ONLY film entered in that category? I didn't know about the award thing until AFTER I saw the film...and had to do a double-take, because I thought surely I had misread it. I was stunned. This film WON an award for something other than being one of the most lame sci-fi "action" films I have ever seen?? The only one I've seen that is worse was some Lorenzo Lamas lame thing called Alien 3000---don't be fooled on that one, either. Worst film ever made. If you think it has any connection with the Alien trilogy, you will be sadly mistaken, as I was about this film being anything in the range of Starship Troopers. Not even close! This film receives a vote of "2" from me because it's the SECOND worst sci-fi film ever made. Save your time and money....you can THINK about renting it...but DON'T DO IT! All the king's horses and all the king's men could not possibly put this film together again...as an exciting feature, anyway.

Seriously underpowered melange of action and science fiction movie clichés

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
17 February 2007

If you thought "Wing Commander" was the ultimate space combat epic, then this might make you happy. But probably not. At least WC had Matthew Lillard and Saffron Burrows and David Suchet. There's no one with anything like that level of talent to be seen here.

Every once in a while, my curiosity gets the better of me - or is it my inner masochist? - and I feel the need to rent an obvious "Z" grade direct-to-DVD movie, just for the hell of it. My ostensible reason is to look for buried diamonds among the dross, and sometimes this does pay off - as in the recent gem from Down Under called "Undead", which I otherwise would never have seen. My gamble didn't pay off this time, though, OH no. No indeed. The only way a person can derive any enjoyment from "Recon 2020" is with their brains and discriminating sensibilities parked solidly in "neutral". Or drunk. Or high.

I will say a couple things in favor of "Recon 2020". First, although the film obviously had a tiny budget, the director and crew must have worked extremely hard to make the most out of every dollar they had for the movie's visuals. The movie looks as though it was shot on digital video (similar to "28 Days Later"), and like "Undead", it looks like someone spent a lot of time and effort in post production to add in filtered lighting and special effects to make the thing look decent. As a results,"Recon 2020" looks much better than it deserves - though I can't say the same for the sound design. Similarly, since the budget for props and scenery was minimal, the production crew went with spray paint graffiti and tagging on most of the backgrounds, a touch that lent weight and solidity to the surroundings that might have gone missing otherwise. (One drawback to this choice is that much of the movie appears to be taking place in the projects of Chicago, rather than an alien planet).

The drop ship looks pretty good, as do a few of the other mechanized SFX such as the mercenary ship and the ED-209 like "mecha" that the soldiers first encounter.

The other nice thing I can say is although the direction and acting are uneven, at its best there are a few moments of decent action and dialog: There's a cyborg tussle that has some "ooomph" to it, there are a couple of OK set speeches; there's an encounter with a 3 headed monster that evokes nostalgic memories of "Earth Vs. The Spider"; there's an unsettling gory look at the remains of tortured colonists; there's a nicely executed recording of a distress message on one of the "transponders" discovered by the soldiers; and a couple of exchanges of dialog sound as though human beings might actually utter them under some circumstance.

And that's about it. The rest of the movie (85% or so) is simply lame. The plot is an unconvincing mix of vampires and werewolves and cyborgs and jokes about anal probes and mercenaries and "Starship Troopers" and "Aliens". Most of the time, the acting is quite amateurish. Most of the soldiers' dialog is completely mishandled - these are supposed to be hard-bitten combat veterans? They whine and bitch like high school girls. And the poor guy cast to play "Seageant Sharpe" is in completely over his head. He's got some potential, but the director just leaves him flapping in the breeze most of the time. The blonde who plays "Fooks" is awful; she reads her lines as if her inspiration was Jennifer Aniston's character from "Friends". She's quite attractive, but she is still the most jarring and irritating actor in the film. On the positive side, the woman who plays the friendly cyborg is perhaps the best of the bunch, probably because the role doesn't require much of her beyond looking impassive and stoic.

Worst of all, the director simply does not know how to stage a convincing (and involving) combat scene..or even how to pace a simple dramatic scene when the weapons aren't firing. It's as if they just shot the actors in a bunch of poses and stunts they thought would look neat (or like their favorite movies) and relied on the post-production edit to force some sense and rhythm into it...but when it came time for the post production, the editor couldn't bear to throw any of it away, and so they just used "everything". The results are a mess, alternating between frenetic and incoherent and repetitious and boring. I often simply could not tell what was going on, and I couldn't find a reason to care.

The final scene leaves an opening for a sequel, and apparently one is being filmed. I find this hard to fathom, as does the idea that this film had any kind of audience or made a dime in profits. But believe me, I have no plans whatsoever to watch that sequel. My masochistic impulses only go so far. Totally devoted hardcore sci-fi action fans might get more out of this than I did...maybe.

There is no hope

Author: james-971 from United States
22 July 2007

"Look, we have guns and costumes and special effects and a bunch of people to work on our movie and to be in our movie. We can't miss!!".. Well, you did. I rented this movie at CinemaNow.com with high hopes. I really wanted to like it but I thought is was so bad that I couldn't even watch the whole thing. It could not have been more boring if they tried to make it so. The directing and acting is uninspired. The pacing was so bad that I thought there was something wrong with my computer. I thought that maybe it kept playing the same scene over and over and over and over. I managed to sit through almost 30 minutes of this sci-fi action film before I decided that there was nothing at that point that could save the rest of it. The movie reminded me of an episode of the Simpsons that showed Krusty the Clown doing a bit on his television show. In the bit, he walks out with a pair of huge rubber ears on. He looks to the audience while motioning to the ears as though having them meant instant humor. He does the same thing when he pulls out a huge Q-tip to clean his huge ears. He doesn't understand why nobody thinks this is funny. Same with this movie. They have costumes and guns and explosions and many of the things that a good action film should have but they seem to think that it was enough. They forgot about an interesting story or good editing, dialog, lighting, and all the other things that make you want to watch a movie. Having a bag of tricks isn't enough. Especially when people are use to watching big budget films that have a much larger bag of tricks along with good stories, editing, lighting and the rest. Nice try but next time try to make a good movie rather than one that feeds your fantasy of wanting to be a big time film maker.

Worse than a train wreck!

Author: jaiden from United States
27 January 2007

Oh, my God. I can't believe I wasted my free movie rental coupon on this sorry excuse for a high school fantasy! I barely watched five minutes of it before asking my wife for the remote to turn it off.

Stunned silence followed - and a never ending feeling of hopelessness as I thought of all the ways I could make this disc unplayable for anyone else.

A half-naked sex scene just after the credits, terrible sound quality, bad lighting, bad acting - the list is endless of overt mistakes. The first and foremost being the writer and director ever being given actual money to make this garbage. If I were the production house, I'd ask for a refund.

Save yourself! Don't watch this movie!!!

Please Hit Me If I Ever Mention Recon 2020 Again

Author: Richard Green (Patriotlad@aol.com) from New Haven County, Connecticut
20 April 2008

What is there to do on a Saturday night when you don't have a date, and the kids are busy at the fair, and you can make your own fresh popcorn ? Rent a science-fiction movie !! Well, duh, that was easy.

OK -- so I am trolling in the big box movie rental joint and the case for this DVD falls on the floor while I am looking at something else.

So I pick it up and read the teaser on the back. So I don't recognize any of the people who are in the movie or who helped make this flick.

That's not always a bad thing. Like, when I first went to see "28 Days Later ..." in the cinema, I did not know anything about it or most of the actors associated with it. Man was that a great evening !! When it came out on DVD I rented it about five times and then finally got the DVD box set as a Christmas present, so in all I have seen that fine film about eleventeen times. In that story, the first fifteen and 1/2 minutes are so strong that it completely cancels out the one or two minutes of wandering angst that follow on.

Every character in "28 Days Later" is unforgettable, even the three Animal Rights radicals who kick off the whole shebang ( including the Finnish guy who's main lines are "oh my God, oh my God" ).

Fifteen minutes into this alleged science-fiction mini-epic, I was so hoping for a thunderstorm with lightning strikes so that I could just get up and go throw up, but no, I had to watch the whole thing.

Hell, I paid actual money to rent this dog, it wasn't a freebie ! My time would have been better spent logging on to some traffic cam network in some distant city and watching the cars go by, or not go by.

It was just that bad, and I do mean incompetent, confusing, badly recorded, badly edited, and did I mention confusing ?? Please help me. Please hit me hard if I ever mention this barking dog of a sci-fi adventure, again. No wonder they changed the name.

Arf Arf.