IMDb > King's Ransom (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

King's Ransom More at IMDbPro »

what the hell

Author: international_thug_131 from Canada
22 October 2006

I think my plot summary speaks for itself! I would have expected better from Anthony Anderson... actually :|. He needs to make more movies like The Departed and needs to stay clear of train wrecks like this. You don't even find out the actually plot of the movie until 45 minutes in, and this is a 90 minute movie. It feels like a Simpsons episode where there are jokes and random things happening for the first 15 minutes then the actual problem arises in the last 10 minutes. The only difference with this though is that... Its just not funny! Jay Mohr couldn't even save this and i love Jay Mohr. My advice, forget this movie exists and go see The Departed where you can see Anthony Anderson at his prime. Horrible movie

Rich Tycoon wanting to have his cake and eat it too.

Author: cindylee1333 from D.SPRINGS, LA.
3 April 2015

I found this movie very easy to watch. Not only was it "in my opinion" a pretty good story, but it made me laugh out loud at times, which for me is very hard. Typical RICH MAN, WHO DOESN'T WANT HIS EX, TO HAVE NOTHING.Love Anthony Anderson, who, now that I think of it, couldn't really think of a better actor to play this part. It was down to the 'FACTS', how money can change almost any person, into a different person, then wonder how they got that way. Fun to watch, easy to watch, and good story. So, if your looking for something to take off your mind, and think about other people's RICH PEOPLE'S problems, this show will probably do the trick. Enjoy it, it 's worth watching.

If you have seen this movie, you have experienced cinema hell.

Author: bwing107 from United States
5 August 2008

This by far the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life.

I saw this movie in theaters with a friend because the cast line up looked promising. We tried to like this movie, we really did. We weren't the only ones who hated it. Walking in I was surprised to about 20 people in the theater. The movie had come out recently so I expected a bigger crowd but no. About 30 minutes into the movie, people started walking out. By the end there were about 10 people left. There is maybe one good moment of spontaneity in the film but other than that one fleeting moment it's pure garbage. I did not walk out though, I stayed until the end hoping the movie would redeem itself. I regret losing those minutes of my life.

Fool's Gold

Author: scorseseisgod-1 from San Diego
12 November 2005

The ex-wife of millionaire Chicago businessman Malcolm King, a disgruntled former employee and two co-workers, a loser living with his grandmother and the millionaire himself all plot to arrange and execute his kidnapping. The WB on the big screen complete with anonymous aerial shots of the city that act as scene-bridgers. Donald Faison as a valet parker mistaken for King and his burly, ex-con kidnapper (Charlie Murphy in the Tiny Lister role) add a couple of chuckles and Loretta Devine is always welcome. Anthony Anderson is only funny in posed background photographs scattered throughout. The one quality moment involves the three friends (Nicole Parker, Leila Arcieri and Brooke D'Orsay) arriving at the kidnapping wearing mask of Condoleeza Rice, Jesse Jackson and Colin Powell. Note the only white girl in the bunch dons the Powell disguise. Regina Hall as Peaches, King's bimbo secretary and Jay Mohr as the grandmomma's boy are unthinkable.

Beautiful Women Do Not Make This Movie Great!

Author: leighabc123 from Portsmouth, Virginia
29 July 2005

Anthony Anderson has been type-casted. He only plays the roles of stupid obnoxious, retarded characters in every movie that he's in. This movie had fly Kellita Smith, fly Nicole Parker, and fly Regina Hall in it. Unfortunately, their good looks couldn't help the stupid plot of this movie. If you see the DVD version, you will see 20 deleted scenes that will explain some of the plot holes in the movie. We should have known that Nicole's character told a lot of lies in the movie. But whatever happened to Kellita's pool boy who got locked up in the trunk? Is anyone so stupid that they would try to sleep with someone blindfolded like Regina Hall did with Donald Faison? Overall, this movie had a very fairytale stupid plot.

A rich, obnoxious business man hires someone to kidnap himself, but others plan to kidnap him,too.

Author: mrgregorykitt from United States
21 May 2005

I loved how sexy Regina Hall looked in this film. She has been slept on for far too long. This is undoubtedly her sexiest role to date. The movie was a feel good movie. Certainly not the best movie Mr. Anderson will make. But for his first leading role, a good step in the right direction. The ending makes the movie worthwhile. Jay Mohr's character development is nothing short of spectacular which culminates at the end of the movie. There's a partially revealing back shot of Regina Hall. The ending has an upbeat,yet, realistic outcome which sheds a light on life's everyday simple pleasures. The movie does have it's comedic moments,too. If you are a fan of Mr. Anderson, catch this movie at a matinée or you'll miss a few of these hilarious moments. Jay Mohr gives an excellent performance as his would be kidnapper. The audience love's his character.

What movie did you other people go see??

Author: david900163 from United States
17 May 2005

Okay, I am obviously alone here.

I thought this movie was funny but too short.

Peaches rocked.

The gold-digger wife was (is) hot.

Loretta Devine as the secretary...flawless.

The acting-VP with the college degrees...or...no degrees, going berserk...could it be any funnier?

The sandwich getting body slammed on the roadside? funny shtick.

And the fifty-cent music...perfect!

I thought this movie had a lot to offer. It was just too short. The credits were rolling but I was wanting more.

Remember, it is not true to life. It seems that "black" films are required to either represent true life or contain a "do-good message" for the youth.

I'd prefer to go to a movie to laugh and be entertained.

I thought this film was entertaining.

King's Ransom was funny but too short.

I've seen it twice just to make sure.

Decent Movie

Author: lemke_sr from United States
4 December 2007

I didn't catch the beginning, but what I saw was funny. From the point of Andy Anderson entering Jay Mohr's Grandma's house. Andy got it thru Jay's head to grow a set of ca-hone's (Sorry my spelling probably isn't correct) and Jay actually growing them.

It is a silly slapstick comedy. It had me laughing. It did it's job.

Andy's character had the same qualities as the rest of his characters, like the thief from Barbershop, or the friend in Kangaroo Jack.

You should't watch this movie expecting to be moved to anything but laughter.

Even Charlie Murphys' character was funny.

Anthony Anderson gets a lead role

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
6 August 2005

King's Ransom

Starring: Anthony Anderson, Charlie Murphy, Regina Hall, Nicole Ari Parker, Kellita Smith, Jay Mohr, Brooke D'Orsay, Donald Faison and Loretta Devine

Rated PG-13 for Crude and Sexual Humor and Language

Genre: Comedy/Crime

Star Rating: ***1/2 out of 5

This is the first movie with Anthony Anderson playing the leading role and before that he was pretty much the sidekick role in these buddy comedy movies. Anthony Anderson plays Malcolm King, who is a big time rich businessman who has an ex-wife, Renee King (Kellita Smith) who is wanting half of the money Malcolm is making in his company in the divorce settlement. Malcolm decides to plan his own kidnapping so that way he doesn't have to pay his ex-wife half the money with the help of his dim-witted mistress, Peaches Clarke (Regina Hall) and her ex-con brother, Herb Clarke (Charlie Murphy). But Malcolm's employees have had enough of Malcolm's attitude and are wanting to hold him for ransom and another guy named Corey (Jay Mohr) is kidnapping Malcolm to try to get the money for his sister. This movie was outrageously hilarious! Plus I think this is also the first time I have seen Charlie Murphy do a movie because he is mainly known for being one of the co-stars off "Chappelle's Show"!

BOTTOM LINE: OUTRAGEOUS!

bad. very bad. very, very bad

Author: flyfisher_20750 from United States
12 May 2006

actually would rate this movie a minus 10. i saw it on HBO and walked out. the stars of this movie are usually very good, but none of them could save this utter bomb. 'nuff said.

and now after having said all that was necessary, IMDb says i need 10 lines of commentary.... who are they kidding? the damn movie doesn't warrant 10 lines and IMDb should know that. their own review only lasts two and a half lines.

anyway. the "best, best" part of the movie is the very end and the credits. no one should waste time or money buying or renting this dud, much less watching it. i've actually seen grown men regurgitate a complete meal over this. save yourselves.