IMDb > King's Ransom (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
King's Ransom

King's Ransom More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

A rich, obnoxious business man hires someone to kidnap himself, but others plan to kidnap him,too.

Author: mrgregorykitt from United States
21 May 2005

I loved how sexy Regina Hall looked in this film. She has been slept on for far too long. This is undoubtedly her sexiest role to date. The movie was a feel good movie. Certainly not the best movie Mr. Anderson will make. But for his first leading role, a good step in the right direction. The ending makes the movie worthwhile. Jay Mohr's character development is nothing short of spectacular which culminates at the end of the movie. There's a partially revealing back shot of Regina Hall. The ending has an upbeat,yet, realistic outcome which sheds a light on life's everyday simple pleasures. The movie does have it's comedic moments,too. If you are a fan of Mr. Anderson, catch this movie at a matinée or you'll miss a few of these hilarious moments. Jay Mohr gives an excellent performance as his would be kidnapper. The audience love's his character.

If you have seen this movie, you have experienced cinema hell.

Author: bwing107 from United States
5 August 2008

This by far the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life.

I saw this movie in theaters with a friend because the cast line up looked promising. We tried to like this movie, we really did. We weren't the only ones who hated it. Walking in I was surprised to about 20 people in the theater. The movie had come out recently so I expected a bigger crowd but no. About 30 minutes into the movie, people started walking out. By the end there were about 10 people left. There is maybe one good moment of spontaneity in the film but other than that one fleeting moment it's pure garbage. I did not walk out though, I stayed until the end hoping the movie would redeem itself. I regret losing those minutes of my life.

What movie did you other people go see??

Author: david900163 from United States
17 May 2005

Okay, I am obviously alone here.

I thought this movie was funny but too short.

Peaches rocked.

The gold-digger wife was (is) hot.

Loretta Devine as the secretary...flawless.

The acting-VP with the college degrees...or...no degrees, going berserk...could it be any funnier?

The sandwich getting body slammed on the roadside? funny shtick.

And the fifty-cent music...perfect!

I thought this movie had a lot to offer. It was just too short. The credits were rolling but I was wanting more.

Remember, it is not true to life. It seems that "black" films are required to either represent true life or contain a "do-good message" for the youth.

I'd prefer to go to a movie to laugh and be entertained.

I thought this film was entertaining.

King's Ransom was funny but too short.

I've seen it twice just to make sure.

Decent Movie

Author: lemke_sr from United States
4 December 2007

I didn't catch the beginning, but what I saw was funny. From the point of Andy Anderson entering Jay Mohr's Grandma's house. Andy got it thru Jay's head to grow a set of ca-hone's (Sorry my spelling probably isn't correct) and Jay actually growing them.

It is a silly slapstick comedy. It had me laughing. It did it's job.

Andy's character had the same qualities as the rest of his characters, like the thief from Barbershop, or the friend in Kangaroo Jack.

You should't watch this movie expecting to be moved to anything but laughter.

Even Charlie Murphys' character was funny.

Anthony Anderson gets a lead role

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
6 August 2005

King's Ransom

Starring: Anthony Anderson, Charlie Murphy, Regina Hall, Nicole Ari Parker, Kellita Smith, Jay Mohr, Brooke D'Orsay, Donald Faison and Loretta Devine

Rated PG-13 for Crude and Sexual Humor and Language

Genre: Comedy/Crime

Star Rating: ***1/2 out of 5

This is the first movie with Anthony Anderson playing the leading role and before that he was pretty much the sidekick role in these buddy comedy movies. Anthony Anderson plays Malcolm King, who is a big time rich businessman who has an ex-wife, Renee King (Kellita Smith) who is wanting half of the money Malcolm is making in his company in the divorce settlement. Malcolm decides to plan his own kidnapping so that way he doesn't have to pay his ex-wife half the money with the help of his dim-witted mistress, Peaches Clarke (Regina Hall) and her ex-con brother, Herb Clarke (Charlie Murphy). But Malcolm's employees have had enough of Malcolm's attitude and are wanting to hold him for ransom and another guy named Corey (Jay Mohr) is kidnapping Malcolm to try to get the money for his sister. This movie was outrageously hilarious! Plus I think this is also the first time I have seen Charlie Murphy do a movie because he is mainly known for being one of the co-stars off "Chappelle's Show"!

BOTTOM LINE: OUTRAGEOUS!

Could have been a lot better...

Author: saint405 from United States
10 August 2005

Kings Ransome is about a billionaire named Malcome King who devises a plan to get himself kidnapped so he can get his money back from his wife who is going to get themselves divorced. Malcome's friend Peaches has her convict brother Herb pick up Malcome but he picks up the wrong guy, some dude named Andre. Malcome is then kidnapped for real by a low life bum named Corey who lives in his grandma's basement where Malcome teaches him the ropes of kidnapping thinking Corey is Herb. Meanwhile his wife is on the run looking for him as so is Malcome's large secretary who is raving on with lazy policemen on the trails of two other groups of people who want Malcome dead. But when Malcome's wife is kidnapped as well by Corey who suddenly goes crazy, Malcome's life is all up for grabs. King's Ransome now is a movie that had a really good plot but it was wasted. The characters are all sleazy, especially Grandma, and the story keeps getting twisted around with character plots. The writing is pretty choppy and lame in some areas but sometimes it's really funny like when Malcome describes how big a mans balls are to really be a true man, hilarious. The ending though is where it all goes down hill where we have freeze frames of all the characters and captions going across the screen telling about what happened to them. The last caption with Malcome and his wife throws the story out the door which means I just sat through a boring movie that never made a difference. But that doesn't mean the movies all bad. Charles Murphey, Eddie Murphey's bro, is hilarious as Herb and the guy who played Anre is good. Peaches is a little annoying and Anthony Anderson is really wasted as Malcome. Jay as Corey though gives an alright performance. This movie though succeeds in bringing back and forth good ideas. The ending fight scene is alright till the police arrive where Mrs. King throws in some bad dialog so fast we loose interest in the timing. Kings Ransome gets a 5 out of 10, good but made totally wrong. See it only for Charlie. Try to enjoy it if you can.

Oh My God.

Author: PaulTrampe from United States
23 July 2005

I was previewing the DVD last night and had to turn it off after 15 minutes. The character introductions were barely less subtle than if they had come out and said "Hi, I'm Anthony Anderson, but today I'm playing Malcolm King, a rich man that people hate." There was not an ounce of subtlety. It was disgustingly awful.

I'm sure that there are people out there that like Anthony Anderson - people who thought that the time spent on his character in Barbershop DIDN'T distract from the main story and damage the otherwise-entertaining film. I'm sure that there are people who don't find his high-pitched voice grating on the ears. I'm sure there are people who don't want to vomit at the site of him in a film. They MAY find this film entertaining. Anybody with an ounce of taste, however, will be turned off immediately.

Then again, people with taste would see him on the poster or DVD box and wouldn't watch it anyway. I did it because it's my job to try and watch this crap. You don't have that excuse. Save yourself.

This is the first movie I ever walked out on.

Author: RecoWilliams (RecoWilliams@yahoo.com) from Arlington, Texas
26 April 2005

O.k. I'm a black guy. And I usually grade on a curve for black comedies, but this was the worst movie I've ever seen.

Any screenplay writer knows that you are suppose to set-up what's going on in the movie in the first 10 minutes. How about 20 minutes later I still didn't have a clue, then all of my friends and I walked out of a $10.00 movie!

I'm not even going to waste my time writing a plot review for this movie, because I didn't see the whole thing. Two words: IT SUCKS!

Save your money don't rent the DVD, wait for it to come on HBO or better yet wait 3 years until it comes on TBS and they will show it every day if they can edit the harsh language.

Way funnier than what I thought

Author: shockg-1 from United States
22 April 2005

I saw this at a sneak peek the day before it came out and laughed a lot! This movie is hilarious. I will be buying it on DVD when it comes out. It's nice to go to a movie and just be able to laugh out loud and this is definitely that type of film.

I love Anthony Anderson and I am glad he was recently cleared of all charges in that Memphis trailer fiasco which I didn't believe in the first place. All in all this was a very cute movie and my boyfriend and I found ourselves reminding each other of different funny parts and laughing about them after the movie.

Enjoy the film!