IMDb > King's Ransom (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

King's Ransom More at IMDbPro »

Great cast, (below) average movie

Author: maros612 from Europe
4 February 2006

A movie is about Malcom King, a spoiled tycoon, who treats people like dirt and acts funny. I think the character was quite good for the comedy genre, so bad the writers of the story weren't bit more creative. The core of the comedy is, that at certain situation, three different groups or individuals mastermind and want to execute the kidnapping (including Mr. King himself). This situation brings a lot of confusion and fun, but I was very disappointed at the laughable material in this comedy. It definitely isn't the type of comedy where you have problems to catch on breathing. Quite reversely, you'll hardly laugh at this flick. It's a kind of light movie you can stare at, and smile for the most part. I expected much more, but it didn't hurt.

This movie should have been straight to DVD. It was SO damn bad!

Author: TorontoLiver from Toronto, Ontario
15 October 2009

This movie was probably the crappiest movie I've ever seen. I watched it in Winnipeg, at my friend's house. I found it on my friends' coffee table, and had to see how bad it was. Critics all over were panning the film, and I had to see for myself. It was even worse than I thought it would be, with a god damn ridiculous and stupid plot, unimaginative jokes, and nasty characters.

Here's the plot.: King's Ransom is about an arrogant rich king named Malcolm King. His wife is angry with him, and wants him to pay her alimony or somethin. I don't know what it's for, but I think alimony. When she wants him to pay, he plans his own kidnapping so he doesn't have to pay her. At the same time, other people are planing to kidnap him, too! When one of the kidnappers DOES kidnap Malcolm, he thinks the kidnapper is following his ridiculous plan, but he's not! I'm not saying anymore for the plot.

The deleted scenes were better than the movie, which was crap. Take my word for it. I'd rather get punched repeatedly in the face than watch this again. Ugh! A ONE out of ten for King's Ransom. I would have gone with zero, but you can only go a minimum of one. Please never watch this!

Painful To Watch

Author: christian123
25 August 2005

Anthony Anderson is Malcolm King, a rich and cocky businessman who tries to get out of being robbed blind by his ex-wife in a divorce settlement by planning his own kidnapping. But someone else already has gotten the same idea, and now King is caught up in a game of "who has the millionaire?"

King's Ransom takes a harmless premise and turns it into a torturous experience. It is one of the worst attempts at comedy and it may be the first comedy ever that has failed to make the audience laugh at least once. It was like they weren't even trying to entertain the audience. I have to ask, what was the point? There was some potential in the premise and the cast wasn't terrible. However, the script fails the film at every turn and it was probably written by a five year old. It's just too bad this film wasn't meant for kids since they would have gotten more entertainment out of it. I would also be more forgiving if this was a kid's film.

The semi decent cast is wasted in this mess and nobody gives a good performance. Anthony Anderson gives a really bad performance as Malcolm King. He overacts like crazy and just ends up being really annoying. Regina Hall over did the airhead role and it got tired fast. Sadly, she probably gave the best performance out of everyone. Jay Mohr tried way too hard to be funny and it didn't work. Donald Faison and Kellita Smith should be ashamed for agreeing to appear in this piece of crap.

I believe the blame shouldn't only go to the screenwriter but to the director as well. Jeff Byrd does a really poor job at directing and he seems to be trying too hard. He sets up all these situations of different people trying to kidnap Malcolm on the same night. There was like four different attempts and none of them were funny. Also, all the subplots are weak and none of them are good enough to save the movie. I will cut Jeff some slack since this is his first real film. However, this isn't the way you should start off. Also, he has to work with a very weak script and an obnoxious lead. I really wish I was joking here but there is not one funny moment. It's really just 95 minutes of pure boredom and there is no point in wasting your time to watch this movie. In the end, this light comedy may end up being the worst movie of 2005. Rating 1/10

Anthony Anderson is pretty funny but...

Author: MLDinTN from TN
6 February 2006

his character, Malcom King, is a slimeball in this. The one mistake with the movie is none of the characters are likable. His wife is a golddigger. His employees can't stand him and Corey has prior arrests, so you can't root for him either. King is getting a divorce, so in order to try to keep his wife from getting half, he plots his own kidnapping. The same night, some disgruntled employees and a loser, Corey, are planning to kidnap him too. King has gotten his buffoon of a girlfriend to get her brother to do the kidnapping. But he kidnaps the wrong guy and King is kidnapped for real. King still goes around disrespecting people but teaches Corey how to be a little more forceful. I thought those parts were funny. If you want to see some mustard smeared in a guy's face, then that scene is for you. There were other scenes that were funny, like Peaches going in the bedroom blindfolded, her brother watching exercise shows, Corey at the burger shack, etc...

FINAL VERDICT: I liked this. I thought it was OK for a comedy. Sure it was silly, but it was supposed to be. And Anthony Anderson is good like he usually is in comedies.

Needs work

Author: Dave (phantom2099@hotmail.com) from Puerto Rico
23 July 2005

I had heard some pretty horrible things about this movie but i love Anthony Anderson so i decided to give it a shot. Kings Rasom is a comedy about a rich man named Malcom King (Anthony Anderson) who decides to get a divorce to avoid giving his wife a divorce settlement. I never knew how being kidnapped would help achieve this but were just led to believe that somehow this will work. He enlists his girlfriends (Regina Hall) aid to help him who has the IQ of a raising and calls her creepy convict of a brother to help her (played by the brilliant Charlie Murphy).

Unfortunately 2 more sets of people get the same idea of kidnapping him, at the same time what are the odds on that? You have the disgruntled employee who was passed up for a vice president position and you have a lovable looser who is stepped on by Malcolm king.

Kings Ransom does have some funny moments and interesting turns. But allot of things fall flat. Were supposed to believe that a man who built a company would make his bimbo girlfriend vice president? So many coincidences? The feds don't get involved when a millionaire gets kidnapped? My experience with the film was bipolar. At the begging i was hating it, then i started liking it, hated it, loved it, and in the end disappointed. Its as if the script self destructed being pulled in so many directions at once it just gave out. The ending was tagged on, character disappeared, had no purpose or just got lost in the shuffle.

Quite frankly if this was rewritten I think it actually could have been up there with kidnapping classics like "Ruthless People" but instead its just one more movie for the bargain bin.

what the hell

Author: international_thug_131 from Canada
22 October 2006

I think my plot summary speaks for itself! I would have expected better from Anthony Anderson... actually :|. He needs to make more movies like The Departed and needs to stay clear of train wrecks like this. You don't even find out the actually plot of the movie until 45 minutes in, and this is a 90 minute movie. It feels like a Simpsons episode where there are jokes and random things happening for the first 15 minutes then the actual problem arises in the last 10 minutes. The only difference with this though is that... Its just not funny! Jay Mohr couldn't even save this and i love Jay Mohr. My advice, forget this movie exists and go see The Departed where you can see Anthony Anderson at his prime. Horrible movie

Rich Tycoon wanting to have his cake and eat it too.

Author: cindylee1333 from D.SPRINGS, LA.
3 April 2015

I found this movie very easy to watch. Not only was it "in my opinion" a pretty good story, but it made me laugh out loud at times, which for me is very hard. Typical RICH MAN, WHO DOESN'T WANT HIS EX, TO HAVE NOTHING.Love Anthony Anderson, who, now that I think of it, couldn't really think of a better actor to play this part. It was down to the 'FACTS', how money can change almost any person, into a different person, then wonder how they got that way. Fun to watch, easy to watch, and good story. So, if your looking for something to take off your mind, and think about other people's RICH PEOPLE'S problems, this show will probably do the trick. Enjoy it, it 's worth watching.

bad. very bad. very, very bad

Author: flyfisher_20750 from United States
12 May 2006

actually would rate this movie a minus 10. i saw it on HBO and walked out. the stars of this movie are usually very good, but none of them could save this utter bomb. 'nuff said.

and now after having said all that was necessary, IMDb says i need 10 lines of commentary.... who are they kidding? the damn movie doesn't warrant 10 lines and IMDb should know that. their own review only lasts two and a half lines.

anyway. the "best, best" part of the movie is the very end and the credits. no one should waste time or money buying or renting this dud, much less watching it. i've actually seen grown men regurgitate a complete meal over this. save yourselves.

Another comedian held ransom to his material

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
18 June 2011

King's Ransom starts very weak, continues at a snail's pace, then finally gets interesting with fifteen minutes left. At that point, it's whatever. More than half the movie is weak so the likelihood of a rewatch is extremely slim. While the overwhelming amount of negative reviews online is a little too much for this film, it still comes off as just a poorly made, unfunny comedy.

Anthony Anderson is always one of the highlights in every film he is in. I liked his goofy Louis persona in Kangaroo Jack, his idiotic antics in Malibu's Most Wanted stood out from the entire film, and most recently in Scream 4 he was a great addition to the cast. He's always stuck in movies that fail to achieve anything they are trying to achieve. He is a funny and energetic actor with instant recognition even with his respective weight-loss. I will say even in this poor comedy, he still manages to impress.

The film centers around an arrogant, self indulgent rich man named Malcolm King (Anderson). Upset his wife Renee (Smith) is divorcing him and is expected to get half his earnings, he fakes his own kidnapping, but a crazy fast-food employee (Mohr) and a mad employee (Parker) also want to kidnap him to teach him a lesson.

The first forty five minutes of the film are nothing but overacted events that showcase nothing but the film's hyper activity and craziness. I liked both Anderson and Mohr's characters, but their antics aren't as funny that I would even come close to recommend this at all.

The writer of King's Ransom was one of the many writers for one of my favorite television shows, Kenan & Kel. It seems the jokes could've worked in a twenty minute episode of a Nickelodeon, they absolutely do not work for a ninety seven minute movie that is nothing but one poorly done slap sticky joke after another barely saved by two likable actors.

Starring: Anthony Anderson, Jay Mohr, Donald Faison, Kellita Smith, Nicole Ari Parker, Charlie Murphy, Regina Hall, and Roger Cross. Directed by: Jeffrey W. Byrd.

Fool's Gold

Author: scorseseisgod-1 from San Diego
12 November 2005

The ex-wife of millionaire Chicago businessman Malcolm King, a disgruntled former employee and two co-workers, a loser living with his grandmother and the millionaire himself all plot to arrange and execute his kidnapping. The WB on the big screen complete with anonymous aerial shots of the city that act as scene-bridgers. Donald Faison as a valet parker mistaken for King and his burly, ex-con kidnapper (Charlie Murphy in the Tiny Lister role) add a couple of chuckles and Loretta Devine is always welcome. Anthony Anderson is only funny in posed background photographs scattered throughout. The one quality moment involves the three friends (Nicole Parker, Leila Arcieri and Brooke D'Orsay) arriving at the kidnapping wearing mask of Condoleeza Rice, Jesse Jackson and Colin Powell. Note the only white girl in the bunch dons the Powell disguise. Regina Hall as Peaches, King's bimbo secretary and Jay Mohr as the grandmomma's boy are unthinkable.