IMDb > King's Ransom (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

King's Ransom More at IMDbPro »

Great cast, (below) average movie

Author: maros612 from Europe
4 February 2006

A movie is about Malcom King, a spoiled tycoon, who treats people like dirt and acts funny. I think the character was quite good for the comedy genre, so bad the writers of the story weren't bit more creative. The core of the comedy is, that at certain situation, three different groups or individuals mastermind and want to execute the kidnapping (including Mr. King himself). This situation brings a lot of confusion and fun, but I was very disappointed at the laughable material in this comedy. It definitely isn't the type of comedy where you have problems to catch on breathing. Quite reversely, you'll hardly laugh at this flick. It's a kind of light movie you can stare at, and smile for the most part. I expected much more, but it didn't hurt.

This movie should have been straight to DVD. It was SO damn bad!

Author: TorontoLiver from Toronto, Ontario
15 October 2009

This movie was probably the crappiest movie I've ever seen. I watched it in Winnipeg, at my friend's house. I found it on my friends' coffee table, and had to see how bad it was. Critics all over were panning the film, and I had to see for myself. It was even worse than I thought it would be, with a god damn ridiculous and stupid plot, unimaginative jokes, and nasty characters.

Here's the plot.: King's Ransom is about an arrogant rich king named Malcolm King. His wife is angry with him, and wants him to pay her alimony or somethin. I don't know what it's for, but I think alimony. When she wants him to pay, he plans his own kidnapping so he doesn't have to pay her. At the same time, other people are planing to kidnap him, too! When one of the kidnappers DOES kidnap Malcolm, he thinks the kidnapper is following his ridiculous plan, but he's not! I'm not saying anymore for the plot.

The deleted scenes were better than the movie, which was crap. Take my word for it. I'd rather get punched repeatedly in the face than watch this again. Ugh! A ONE out of ten for King's Ransom. I would have gone with zero, but you can only go a minimum of one. Please never watch this!

Painful To Watch

Author: christian123
25 August 2005

Anthony Anderson is Malcolm King, a rich and cocky businessman who tries to get out of being robbed blind by his ex-wife in a divorce settlement by planning his own kidnapping. But someone else already has gotten the same idea, and now King is caught up in a game of "who has the millionaire?"

King's Ransom takes a harmless premise and turns it into a torturous experience. It is one of the worst attempts at comedy and it may be the first comedy ever that has failed to make the audience laugh at least once. It was like they weren't even trying to entertain the audience. I have to ask, what was the point? There was some potential in the premise and the cast wasn't terrible. However, the script fails the film at every turn and it was probably written by a five year old. It's just too bad this film wasn't meant for kids since they would have gotten more entertainment out of it. I would also be more forgiving if this was a kid's film.

The semi decent cast is wasted in this mess and nobody gives a good performance. Anthony Anderson gives a really bad performance as Malcolm King. He overacts like crazy and just ends up being really annoying. Regina Hall over did the airhead role and it got tired fast. Sadly, she probably gave the best performance out of everyone. Jay Mohr tried way too hard to be funny and it didn't work. Donald Faison and Kellita Smith should be ashamed for agreeing to appear in this piece of crap.

I believe the blame shouldn't only go to the screenwriter but to the director as well. Jeff Byrd does a really poor job at directing and he seems to be trying too hard. He sets up all these situations of different people trying to kidnap Malcolm on the same night. There was like four different attempts and none of them were funny. Also, all the subplots are weak and none of them are good enough to save the movie. I will cut Jeff some slack since this is his first real film. However, this isn't the way you should start off. Also, he has to work with a very weak script and an obnoxious lead. I really wish I was joking here but there is not one funny moment. It's really just 95 minutes of pure boredom and there is no point in wasting your time to watch this movie. In the end, this light comedy may end up being the worst movie of 2005. Rating 1/10

Anthony Anderson is pretty funny but...

Author: MLDinTN from TN
6 February 2006

his character, Malcom King, is a slimeball in this. The one mistake with the movie is none of the characters are likable. His wife is a golddigger. His employees can't stand him and Corey has prior arrests, so you can't root for him either. King is getting a divorce, so in order to try to keep his wife from getting half, he plots his own kidnapping. The same night, some disgruntled employees and a loser, Corey, are planning to kidnap him too. King has gotten his buffoon of a girlfriend to get her brother to do the kidnapping. But he kidnaps the wrong guy and King is kidnapped for real. King still goes around disrespecting people but teaches Corey how to be a little more forceful. I thought those parts were funny. If you want to see some mustard smeared in a guy's face, then that scene is for you. There were other scenes that were funny, like Peaches going in the bedroom blindfolded, her brother watching exercise shows, Corey at the burger shack, etc...

FINAL VERDICT: I liked this. I thought it was OK for a comedy. Sure it was silly, but it was supposed to be. And Anthony Anderson is good like he usually is in comedies.

Needs work

Author: Dave ( from Puerto Rico
23 July 2005

I had heard some pretty horrible things about this movie but i love Anthony Anderson so i decided to give it a shot. Kings Rasom is a comedy about a rich man named Malcom King (Anthony Anderson) who decides to get a divorce to avoid giving his wife a divorce settlement. I never knew how being kidnapped would help achieve this but were just led to believe that somehow this will work. He enlists his girlfriends (Regina Hall) aid to help him who has the IQ of a raising and calls her creepy convict of a brother to help her (played by the brilliant Charlie Murphy).

Unfortunately 2 more sets of people get the same idea of kidnapping him, at the same time what are the odds on that? You have the disgruntled employee who was passed up for a vice president position and you have a lovable looser who is stepped on by Malcolm king.

Kings Ransom does have some funny moments and interesting turns. But allot of things fall flat. Were supposed to believe that a man who built a company would make his bimbo girlfriend vice president? So many coincidences? The feds don't get involved when a millionaire gets kidnapped? My experience with the film was bipolar. At the begging i was hating it, then i started liking it, hated it, loved it, and in the end disappointed. Its as if the script self destructed being pulled in so many directions at once it just gave out. The ending was tagged on, character disappeared, had no purpose or just got lost in the shuffle.

Quite frankly if this was rewritten I think it actually could have been up there with kidnapping classics like "Ruthless People" but instead its just one more movie for the bargain bin.

what the hell

Author: international_thug_131 from Canada
22 October 2006

I think my plot summary speaks for itself! I would have expected better from Anthony Anderson... actually :|. He needs to make more movies like The Departed and needs to stay clear of train wrecks like this. You don't even find out the actually plot of the movie until 45 minutes in, and this is a 90 minute movie. It feels like a Simpsons episode where there are jokes and random things happening for the first 15 minutes then the actual problem arises in the last 10 minutes. The only difference with this though is that... Its just not funny! Jay Mohr couldn't even save this and i love Jay Mohr. My advice, forget this movie exists and go see The Departed where you can see Anthony Anderson at his prime. Horrible movie

Rich Tycoon wanting to have his cake and eat it too.

Author: cindylee1333 from D.SPRINGS, LA.
3 April 2015

I found this movie very easy to watch. Not only was it "in my opinion" a pretty good story, but it made me laugh out loud at times, which for me is very hard. Typical RICH MAN, WHO DOESN'T WANT HIS EX, TO HAVE NOTHING.Love Anthony Anderson, who, now that I think of it, couldn't really think of a better actor to play this part. It was down to the 'FACTS', how money can change almost any person, into a different person, then wonder how they got that way. Fun to watch, easy to watch, and good story. So, if your looking for something to take off your mind, and think about other people's RICH PEOPLE'S problems, this show will probably do the trick. Enjoy it, it 's worth watching.

Fool's Gold

Author: scorseseisgod-1 from San Diego
12 November 2005

The ex-wife of millionaire Chicago businessman Malcolm King, a disgruntled former employee and two co-workers, a loser living with his grandmother and the millionaire himself all plot to arrange and execute his kidnapping. The WB on the big screen complete with anonymous aerial shots of the city that act as scene-bridgers. Donald Faison as a valet parker mistaken for King and his burly, ex-con kidnapper (Charlie Murphy in the Tiny Lister role) add a couple of chuckles and Loretta Devine is always welcome. Anthony Anderson is only funny in posed background photographs scattered throughout. The one quality moment involves the three friends (Nicole Parker, Leila Arcieri and Brooke D'Orsay) arriving at the kidnapping wearing mask of Condoleeza Rice, Jesse Jackson and Colin Powell. Note the only white girl in the bunch dons the Powell disguise. Regina Hall as Peaches, King's bimbo secretary and Jay Mohr as the grandmomma's boy are unthinkable.

Beautiful Women Do Not Make This Movie Great!

Author: leighabc123 from Portsmouth, Virginia
29 July 2005

Anthony Anderson has been type-casted. He only plays the roles of stupid obnoxious, retarded characters in every movie that he's in. This movie had fly Kellita Smith, fly Nicole Parker, and fly Regina Hall in it. Unfortunately, their good looks couldn't help the stupid plot of this movie. If you see the DVD version, you will see 20 deleted scenes that will explain some of the plot holes in the movie. We should have known that Nicole's character told a lot of lies in the movie. But whatever happened to Kellita's pool boy who got locked up in the trunk? Is anyone so stupid that they would try to sleep with someone blindfolded like Regina Hall did with Donald Faison? Overall, this movie had a very fairytale stupid plot.

A rich, obnoxious business man hires someone to kidnap himself, but others plan to kidnap him,too.

Author: mrgregorykitt from United States
21 May 2005

I loved how sexy Regina Hall looked in this film. She has been slept on for far too long. This is undoubtedly her sexiest role to date. The movie was a feel good movie. Certainly not the best movie Mr. Anderson will make. But for his first leading role, a good step in the right direction. The ending makes the movie worthwhile. Jay Mohr's character development is nothing short of spectacular which culminates at the end of the movie. There's a partially revealing back shot of Regina Hall. The ending has an upbeat,yet, realistic outcome which sheds a light on life's everyday simple pleasures. The movie does have it's comedic moments,too. If you are a fan of Mr. Anderson, catch this movie at a matinée or you'll miss a few of these hilarious moments. Jay Mohr gives an excellent performance as his would be kidnapper. The audience love's his character.