IMDb > Idiocracy (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Idiocracy

Idiocracy More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 46: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Suhrvivul uv the fiddist

Author: javathehutt from United States
2 September 2006

(Since at this point there has been no publicity for this movie, about anything I say is a spoiler, so read at your own risk.)

Wow! I haven't laughed this hard all the way through a movie in a long time. As of right now (Sept 1), I have seen absolutely no publicity for this movie, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Mike Judge did not disappoint me.

This movie was intelligently stupid. If you liked Team America, you should enjoy this as well. I think that Mike Judge lovers from Beavis to Office Space will also enjoy this movie. Be prepared for quite a bit of language, but understand that it is making fun of gratuitous profanity.

For one thing, it is perhaps the most witty forecast for the future I think I've seen. In a democracy, majority rules. The problem with that is that if the majority is a bunch of imbeciles, they are going to make imbecilic decisions. The prologue to the movie had me rolling. It compares the mentality of the intelligentsia vis a vis the mentality of the... er... trailer trash in regards to producing offspring. The white collar couple is very "careful" about having a kid, so careful they don't end up having a kid at all. On the other hand, the trailer trash basically cannot hiccup without producing a kid. It was a hilarious intro to the movie that really set the stage for the rest of the movie as a hysterical event.

The humor on the surface level may appear extremely low-brow, but what makes it so funny is that it is actually making fun of the abyss to which our humor can drop.

I was impressed with the acting. The tendency, it seems, is to over-act when your "playing dumb" in a movie, but the actors in this movie did a fantastic job of not over-acting their dumbness. Was particularly impressed with Dax Shepard, who could have very easily been not as funny as he was.

I remember the ending seemed kind of weak, but it may have just been because I was tired of seeing Luke Wilson (not my favorite). Definitely worth seeing!

Fun but I choke on the laughter...

Author: nadaht from Sweden
1 March 2016

When I first popped this movie in I really did't know what I was in for. What I though would be a fun romp turned out to be about as scary as 1984. Who knew?

The plot is very silly, cartoony if you will, and Futurama, I'm looking at you. So yeah, there's an experiment that goes Horribly Wrong and our heroes wakes up in the far future.

Now take a look at society today: reality TV, Donald Trump running for president, ketchup is a vegetable, the "look at me" culture. And turn in up to 11. That's this movie for you - a f-ing scary dystopia which I would have laughed my ass off from in the early 90's but today, it's just scary.

But it's still a fun and silly movie, it gives me tons of laughs. But I kinda choke on it. Add this to your list of great dystopian tales.

Idiocracy - it's starting now!

Author: nuhc from United States
22 September 2015

I finally got to watch this movie the other night and it was every bit as good as I had hoped. I will say that the acting, special effects, and story isn't award worthy, but the message is the important part here. It's believable, too, with all the intelligent people being smart enough to know when to have kids and to have fewer of them, while all the stupid people are there are breeding like rabbits. And with little evolutionary pressure to be smart or die, the stupid people will always outnumber us. If there's one criticism I have of the film, it's that you likely wouldn't have to wait 500 years for this to happen, just give it about 100-150 years. I mean, when you go on the internet and see barely literate people posting to message boards in extremely poor grammar and textspeak, the future of Idiocracy is not far off. Not to mention anti-intellectual attitudes of certain segments of society, mainly those who claim that universities are bastions of liberal indoctrination. We have a major political party in which one of the members after the 2012 election said, "Stop being the stupid party," yet this year (2015) their leading presidential candidate is Donald Trump. Frankly, it's entirely easy to envision a major corporation buying out the FDA, EPA, and USDA in order to spray a salty sports drink on crops in order to boost profits.

All in all, this movie has a good story line and keeps you interested. Some of the special effects you can tell were made with models, but it doesn't really detract from the movie and in fact adds to the hokey, trashy feel of the dystopian society. It's a shame this movie wasn't supported, promoted, and more widely distributed by the studio.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, by all means do so and heed it as a warning.

An Underrated Gem!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
14 July 2016

Mike Judge's 'Idiocracy' is a delightfully engaging satirical science fiction comedy, that appears more relevant than it did years back during its unsung release. This underrated gem, is a tale on us humans & how its important to love our planet, before it goes all to the waste.

'Idiocracy' Synopsis: Private Joe Bauers, the definition of "average American", is selected by the Pentagon to be the guinea pig for a top-secret hibernation program. Forgotten, he awakes five centuries in the future. He discovers a society so incredibly dumbed down that he's easily the most intelligent person alive.

I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer innovation of 'Idiocracy'. Its such a different, novel concept, that ranges from being hilarious to being absolutely scary. I mean its all fun to see our protagonist travel centuries ahead, but the pathetic condition he lands up in, is amusing at first, but really plays with your mind later on, in the right way. Its a very important film, told humorously. We need to love our planet & also our people, in order for better times ahead.

Etan Cohen & Mike Judge's Screenplay is excellent. Not only is it innovative, but also brave enough to talk differently & yet staying in the barometers of comedy. The Writing is super-strong! Mike Judge's Direction is fabulous. 'Idiocracy' is amongst his finest, but overlooked films to date. Cinematography is flawless. Editing is razor-crisp. Art & Costume Design are fantastic. Make-Up, deserves a special mention. Theodore Shapiro's Score is perfect.

Performance-Wise: Luke Wilson is at his natural best. The underrated actor suits the part to the T & delivers a convincing performance as The Smartest Man Alive. Maya Rudolph is first-rate as the lady who travels with Wilson in the future. Dax Shepard is superb as the dumb ass. Why don't we see him more often in films? Terry Crews is fun to watch as the obnoxious president. Others lend good support.

On the whole, 'Idiocracy' needs to be watched! Its truly well-made.

Funny because it's true

Author: sweetaznmel
26 May 2016

Cannot believe that most people I talk to have never heard of this movie. It is hilarious and too true. I don't know where or now or when this movie was released, but it is a shame not more people know about it. An exaggeration of the truth, it is funny to see where things are headed if we continue down our path of glorifying ignorance. I don't know if I have a favorite part of this movie. While some movies have funny parts in it, this movie is just hilarious throughout. This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Someone must have messed up on the release for it to be such a hidden gem. Get ready to laugh! This movie is good for any night. Date night or just relaxation.

This is not science fiction !!!

Author: truegentleman from London, England
20 January 2016

The movie is definitely worth your time spent to watch it. It is entertaining and is not science fiction; this is exactly what is happening in the US right now (Trump endorsed by Sarah Palin). It is just a matter of observing the trajectory and you will notice that it may happen well before the 500 years the movie indicates. The main characters are well cast. The film rolls on starting in 2006 and moves quickly 500 years later. It is, in some scenes too slow, as if the Director needed to get more minutes in than necessary. A few punch lines are worth remembering and you will enjoy it more if you understand American "culture", especially if you lived in one of the Southern States (like I did). Europeans will find it anthropological in nature and will help confirm all possible stereotypes. In a nutshell it is good nature fun but keeps your brain connected. Some scenes are for adults due to explicit sexual references but, overall, the movie is for adult in terms of humour so it should not be a problem. Enjoy it with an open mind.

10 out of 10

Author: rodgersericv
2 November 2014

How does this movie get a 6.5 out of 10? This is one of the best movies ever made. The future America that it portrays is exactly as it would be tomorrow if the average American was in control. Most people don't know what electrolytes are and could be convinced that plants crave them. This movie foresaw that there would be a black President. The continuing involvement of corporations over every aspect of our lives is evident in this movie. The United States is no longer a democracy. Corporations have bought and paid for the Congress, Presidency, Supreme Court, media, military, police forces, and local and state governments. The President doesn't have control over anything. A black man was engineered to be President to complete the final removal of any power the people had. This slave, Obama, has the same masters as the Presidents before him. Corporations don't want a public capable of critical thinking. This movie represents the future that corporate controlled America is bringing the world. I think some people don't like this movie because they see themselves in it and have hurt feelings. It's also possible that some in power did not want the public to see this movie.

Accurate? Probably.

Author: plan99 from United Kingdom
27 December 2013

I gave this film 10 out of 10 as it's the most accurate film depiction I've seen of what the future holds.

The future was 500 years ahead but from what I see here in the UK the UK the USA and most of Europe will reach the future as depicted in this film a lot quicker than 500 years from now. The dumbing down of "newspapers" and TV is speeding up and the level of ignorance of those under 25 is shocking, I was born in the 1950's and had a proper education compared to that supplied over the last 30 years or so.

This film should be shown to all in the teaching profession, TV programme makers and politicians before it's too late.

The constant lowering of the average IQ of the population is a bigger threat than global warming or any other danger to the planet.

Unfortunately for us this film could be an accurate vision of the future.

I have added this thought in December 2015, this might be the only film on IMDb where the lower the total score it achieves the more it proves that those who gave it a 10/10 score were correct to do so.

Every adult should see

Author: strick-j from Aston, PA, USA
15 June 2011

Why is it the best movies get the ax before they are seen? Could be because they make us think. In the case of Idiocracy, the ax was budget cuts and unannounced paltry releases. While Idiocracy is a comedy, it touches a nerve about the way things are and where they are going in society. I enjoyed the humor which edges on ridiculous, and the budget cuts added to the aura for me. The sexual themes are not merely gratuitous but are a necessary part of the overall message in this flick. If the sign of a great movie is one that leaves you with something (and it is for me), Idiocracy enters the realm of greatness. I often think about this film long after viewing it for the truths it reveals; the white elephant in the room. Idiocracy is capable of inducing great conversation.

Hidden Gem

Author: nysnake78 from United States
30 March 2007

I like Money! I stumbled on this brilliant film in a local video store last week. Wasn't sure what to expect. Brought it home, set up the player and then my journey in to stupidity began. The first viewing I did a lot of chuckling, no laughing out loud really. It wasn't until the second viewing the movie really started to take a hold on me and the humor was that much funnier. It reminded me of Austin Powers, first viewing it was all right, then the real fun began telling people about it, just talking about each scene and the set up. I'm making all my friends watch this movie, everyone I know. This movie may very well be one of the most accurate "Future" movies ever made. This movie is more then just 84 minutes of entertainment, it's a warning to the future of our civilization. Mike Judge, the fantastic mind who brought us Office Space has brought us a vision of life in the automated future. Luke Wilson's dead pan humor as "Average" Joe enhanced the movie that much more. Watch this movie then once you're done, READ more! WRITE more! THINK more! For the futures sake if not for your own!