IMDb > Idiocracy (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Idiocracy More at IMDbPro »

Brilliantly Prophetic

Author: from United States
12 August 2008

After the first several minutes of this movie I knew that I was watching one of the smartest films ever made. I wish that this movie was accurately labeled 'fiction', but anyone paying attention to the big picture is well aware that the wheels are already in motion (very reminiscent of the stand-up of Joe Rogan, which I also highly recommend) The idiots of the world have consistently outbred the intelligent, and we have faced war, religion, and countless other monstronsities as a consequence. With the emergence of the technological age and mass communication, humans are living superficial lives of luxury in a world where talentless, pretty faces on the radio are having children and Isaac Newton died a virgin. This film simply portrays a shockingly plausible future in a format that serves to appease the brightest individuals with its wit and irony, while also producing belly laughs for the sharp and dull alike. For example, you don't have to analyze the phrase "Extra big ass taco!" being spewed from the Carl's junior machine to laugh out loud, and yet when you do, it only gets funnier. Although the story itself that ultimately unfolds is not stellar, the nuances of the premise will keep the keen perceiver consistently entertained. Darwin may have rolled over in his grave many years ago, but I believe he rolled back over to watch this movie.