IMDb > "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings
Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

wonderful

Author: shell-26 (barfoot@mailcity.com) from lancaster, uk
26 January 2005

Farscape was the best and most imaginative of sci fi series. The characters were just that ...characters. Not a cop who gets results through unorthodox interrogation techniques, not a group of American army personnel representing earth to a group of American-o-centric aliens but a group of incredible (meaning unbelievable) characters.

The colours, the shapes.....

John spends the entire series as a mentally ill person warped by his experiences and the brain surgery of Scorpius.

When he takes on a 7 foot lizard creature in a fist fight he ends up smashed and bruised on the far side of the room. When he falls in love she happens to be a soldier dedicated to his own extermination. Nobody gets his jokes and he honestly doesn't know the secrets the others are prepared to kill him for.

Farscape is about a hopeless quest. No Voyager style course plotted in to a computer. Earth is just a dream to be scrabbled after by a desperate loony. He keeps a grip on his own reality by quoting catchphrases from prime time TV and incidents from black and white films. Harvey, the computer program implanted by Scorpius is my favourite. What a wonderful complex character Scorpius is - there is no evil in Farscape, no black and white, only shades of Grey.

I would quite happily have accepted John waking up and believing it was all a dream following some tremendous astronaut accident.

Farscape the mini series is a wonderful finale to the best sci fi series ever conceived.

Farscape Returns!

Author: from Scotland United Kingdom
5 December 2004

Having been a fan of this show since I first saw it on BBC 2 in 1999, I sat down to watch PKW with some nervousness, Farscape's characters are like a family in a way. A family who you visited every week, you shared their highs and lows, their loves and hates.

Would Peacekeeper Wars be faithful to the series? Or would it be a hodge podge of ideas and scenes with none of the old humanity?

Happily my fears were unjustified. PKW grabs you by the throat and does not let go.

The acting was, as usual, superb with believable characters, The bad guys do not resort to the cliché of being bad for the sake of it. Everyone has their reasons for doing what they do.

The effects were amazing and the story line is a roller coaster ride.

Admittedly, there are times when the compressed season 5 storyline jars. But this is forgivable.

The rumour at the time of filming was that the mini series used up all the available squibs in Australia. After seeing the battle scenes, you realize why!

All in all, a good ending to this part of the story while still leaving a way to make more.

Let's hope Moya keeps flying and we visit her crew in the future.

;-)

Culmination of all that is best in Farscape

Author: from Washington DC USA
21 October 2004

This miniseries neatly wraps up the plots and characters of the always inventive, wildly funny, and deeply intelligent Farscape. (Check out the first four seasons for proof).

And it does so with panache! It's wonderful to see Crichton, Aeryn, D'Argo, Chiana, Moya, Pilot and Rygel back, their inimitable selves as usual. And of course the Scarrans, Scorpius, Grayza and a host of other less than savory characters also make their presence keenly felt.

I won't talk about the plot (people have done so already), but the acting and the characters and the plot are all raised to the next level. The wit is just as sharp, the emotions just as strong, and many loose ends get tied up (but not so tightly that there can't be more future Farscape if the creators decide to go that route).

The last hour of the mini is enough to justify it a permanent place on my DVD shelf whenever it comes out. I cried, I laughed, I gasped. I was thoroughly entertained. Truly, some of the best sci-fi out there.

Fan-frelling-tastic!

Author: stephen-damarell from London, England
8 November 2004

At last Farscape has the ending it deserved. The Peacekeeper Wars did everything I hoped it would, and even more than I dreamed possible. As a long time fan of the show I had waited for this with growing anticipation, to the point where I almost expected to be disappointed.

I wasn't.

It's big, it's bold, it's thrilling, it runs the gamut of emotions and then some, and amidst all the spectacle it never loses sight of the most important component of this brilliant series - the characters. I was reduced to tears on several occasions, particularly during the last ten minutes.

A big thank you to all the fans who got this made, to Ben, Claudia, Anthony, Gigi, Wayne and all the other actors and puppeteers, and to Rockne O'Bannon, David Kemper, Brian Henson et al for bringing us this and four wonderful seasons.

It was one helluva ride.

Far Out!

Author: saprater from Georgia, United States
18 October 2004

Just in case you are not familiar with the back story of this excellent little mini-series: Farscape PKWs is a continuation of a cancelled television series on the Scifi channel. Nothing special about that you say?

Well, what makes this unique is the fact that it never would have been made except for the legions of fans who caused such a ruckus after Scifi made the stupid mistake of canceling. THE FANS got the attention of financial backers who then invested in making this little gem. How amazing is that? In a world where we feel like people crap on us at will and it's us again the big corporations...the little man finally won a small but decisive battle.

As for the show, some die-hard fans, myself included, noticed a few differences in how the mini-series was shot and some character changes...though all the original actors were used. Still, I was almost in tears when I saw my favorite Hynerian in all his squat and toadlike splendor. Definitely not a disappointment to loyal fans and hopefully an eye catcher to those who are new to the series. The humor was there, the dangers were still lurking around the corners, and the chemistry was as sizzling as ever. I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't seen this glorious series go out and rent the first season. You'll never regret it!

ALL Farscape fans should watch this! [Bring back the series!]

Author: Asteri-Atypical from Orlando, FL

Be happy mine eyes!

At long last, Farscape, the series untimely canceled by the 'wisdom' of the SciFi Channel, has returned in a mini-series worthy of the original series.

In brief, this WAS Farscape! Unlike so many other mini-series which compromise the core qualities which made the series great and pandered to the lowest common denominator, Farscape:PKW has remained true to the magic and charm we so loved and we've so missed, picking up immediately after the cliffhanger at the end of the final season.

The only way this mini-series fell short of the original series was the nature of it being a mini-series. The creators had less time to focus on the interactions of the characters and supply more of the special moments which made Farscape as great as it was. However; surprisingly little was lost. My friends as I, gathered at my house to watch this together, all remarked how it was surprising how much story was told it so little time. The creators did a wonderful job making use of these four hours. Anyway, the only people to blame for only having four hours were the foolish execs who came up with the mistake of canceling Farscape the series in the first place.

Everyone I know is in unison in the fervent hope that Farscape will once again become a series. We've seen here that Farscape is still alive and well. If SciFi Channel is not wise enough to resume it, hopefully another network will. Such a network will earn my allegiance. Nonetheless, if Farscape does not come back, at least we have some sense of completion to our beloved story and characters which was sadly denied us upon the untimely cancellation of the series.

As Scorpy said.... "John Crichton... is alive!" Long live Farscape!

Truly the Best is always the Last, this was the Best!

Author: kastle9791 from United States of America
19 November 2004

Farscape:The Peacekeeper Wars was truly to the quote," the best is always last." Once again Series Creator Rockne S. O' Bannon and Executive Producer David Kemper, and Henson Productions had returned us to that portion of the Universe far exceeding the limits of our imagination. And also giving closure and finale to many story plots of the previous four year quest of Astronaut John Crichton and his beloved Flight Officer Aeryn Sun. Equally within this final piece the reappearance of other beloved and familiar characters showing solid and firm tapestry. Because in a series like Farscape it's not stand alone character show, but an intricate web of characters and situations that really kept the viewer on edge. Good television is a rare find and this series truly deserved a well resolution to that Cliffhanger of March 21st, 2003.

In all the Mini Series was delightfully entertaining, romance filled, comedic, surprising and, tear jerking in all a well written saga. Also this Mini Series gave hints that nothing really ends. Being if you watched it carefully, seeds for Second Mini Series or possibly a feature film had been planted. But for now I'm comfortable that poetic justice has been done for one of the best new concepts of television.....

Excellent ending!

Author: faridalva from Miami
19 October 2004

For all the farscapers that were left at the edge of their seats from the series' finale cliff-hanger, you will be truly satisfied with how this mini-series successfully ties all loose ends. I was impressed on how the they took a few minutes to summarize the series and quickly introduces the characters, their relationships and the basic plot line to any new viewers at the beginning. After that, the show takes off!

Farscape: The Peackeeper Wars continues to extract elements from what made the series superb in the first place, by relying on characterization and great dialogue. What lies at the core of the Farscape world is their characters, their relationships with one another, their own evolution as a person and their abilities to deal with a harsh environment. All the sci-fi elements, at times, seem almost to be implemented as accessories, an extra-added bonus. The basic story lines and character develop can work in the real world.

With a bigger budget to work with, the mini-series' special effects were very impressive, not to say that the series' wasn't either. The program had it all, space battles, laser-gun battles, worm holes, scary aliens and alien romance! I was kept at the edge of my seat the whole time.

Although I was greatly hurt that the series was cancelled, I was truly satisfied on how Farscape ended, although some out there won't be happy on how some of the story lines and characters ended. For those not familiar with Farscape, the mini-series acts as a spring-board to go back from the beginning watch the series. Your best bet is on DVD, as the SciFi Channel rarely show reruns and when they do, it'll most likely be on in the early morning hours.

Wow! Absolutely Amazing.

Author: thecyres from Indiana
19 October 2004

I started watching the series only a few months ago and I couldn't be happier to have found it. The series and the mini-series were simply excellent. I am not a big television watcher and I really don't care for sci-fi but this show/movie blows me away. I absolutely love it and that is saying a lot. The plot, effects, actors, & writers are beyond description. It sends you on an roller coaster and has a way of giving you an emotional investment in the lives of these characters. Rarely does a television show leave me craving more as Farscape does. Never has a television show left me wanting to THANK its creators. Give Farscape a try, you won't be sorry.

And so it ends...

Author: quitchy from United Kingdom
18 April 2005

I expected a lot of The Peacekeeper Wars, and I think these hopes were a little unrealistic for a mini-series trying to cover what was intended for a series.

Unfortunately, this very much a full series squeezed into three hours. Many fascinating stories could be discerned, but few had the air time they needed, and many were simply confusing. Characters exchanged meaningful looks, only to never be seen again. The editing process had taken its toll.

For a Farscape "episode" this was surprisingly conventional fare, and in places it did wander into the cliché. But full credit for the minds behind it, they were squeezing in a series (and from the content on display it seems obvious that their claims to having plans for the fifth series were far from insubstantial) and simply didn't have the time. Beyond all this, it was still Farscape. Brilliant acting, fine writing and the age old characters, all a little wiser as they were in series four.

I rather enjoyed the... unconventional end to series four, but it's obvious that many wanted closure, and while it doesn't entirely satisfy that demand, it was good to see the finest sci-fi ever made back on our screens, if only for a little while.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]