IMDb > Seed of Chucky (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Watch It For The Comedy

Author: Big_Captain_Splatter from C-Town
18 November 2004

Hardcore horror fans will be disappointed by this film. It is not a horror film by any means. There is nothing scary about it, and even the extremely gory scenes are filmed to make the viewer laugh. But, if you go into the film wanting a really funny movie, that is what you will get. This film, is hilariously funny.

The film takes place around five years after BRIDE OF CHUCKY, where Glen Ray is being used as a sideshow freak. But, when he finds out who his parents really are, and finds out that there is a movie being made about them, he flies out to the set, and brings his parents back using the dolls that they were using in the movie. Now, the trick is to get Jennifer Tilly pregnant, so that Tiffany can possess her, Chucky can possess rapper Red Man, and Glen can possess the baby that Jennifer Tilly gives birth to.

Now I know what your thinking, that is the stupidest plot in the world. But, this movie is very funny! It has some excellent gore scenes as well, like decapitations, guts being cut out of stomachs, people getting set on fire. It is a freaking gorefest, with a lot of comedy mixed in. I am very satisfied, because unlike Child's Play 2 and 3, they didn't try to make it a horror film because they knew that they couldn't.

If you like Comedy Movies, and you like Gore, then check out SEED OF CHUCKY.

IF you think you might like this, trust me, you will!

Author: belialprod from Canada
12 November 2004

Towards the climax of "Seed of Chucky", Chucky himself manages to subvert the ENTIRE concept of the ENTIRE series so far, and thus most films of its kind, by using simple reasoning. I have been dying to hear that from a "slasher villain" for, well...since the birth of slasher villains.

What a great time this movie is! "Bride of Chucky" reinvented what had become a dull, unscary franchaise as black comedy. "Seed" takes that ball and runs with it. Don Mancini, who created Chucky many years ago, finally gets a chance to direct and I think this film will get him jobs outside the series. He not only makes the fifth take on Chucky feel fresh- a major accomplishment in itself for any series that has gone on this long- but shows a flair for satirizing movie clichés (a certain object flies upwards towards the camera at one point and it's a gas considering how overused that shot has been in action movies of recent years)and has a strong visual sense- check out the floor of Jennifer Tilly's foyer for an unexpected laugh. And I've got to hand it to Ms.Tilly- the girl's a trooper for sure,letting herself be the butt of jokes, both cruel and crazy. This is balanced by a great scene- a lot of directors would have left it for the DVD- where she reveals that she's not the one note Hollywood caricature she's been built up to be. Add that to a gender confusion subplot, and a piss take on twelve step programs, and you've got something a hell of a lot smarter than most horror films. Hell, than most comedies.

Speaking of Hollywood, the refreshing thing for a movie that takes place there? It isn't married to tired in jokes- save for one great one for B-Movie fans- the name of Chucky and Tiffany's child- which I will leave you to discover for yourself.

"Seed" has the over the top humour of the best obnoxious comedies ("American Pie" comes to mind, but better examples probably escape me), and a surprisingly graphic amount of gore- this thing doesn't skimp on the blood. For the latter reason, no way will it cross over to a mainstream audience. It is what it is and is the most entertaining version of what it is, I think, possible.

What it all comes down to is, if you're on this page, reading reviews, you're probably a partial convert to a movie like "Seed of Chucky", and if you're wondering if you'll like it, I have to tell you, this movie doesn't skimp. It's got all the slasher movie essentials like gore and nudity, married to a crude, black, very funny sense of humour, and even some semblance of humanity.

What I'm saying is, you'll like it.

Stuff for fans

Author: sinco (sbozovich@yahoo.com) from Serbia and Montenegro
2 May 2005

Give it up, if you didn't like Chucky before, you are absolutely going to hate Seed of Chucky. I read many negative reviews prior to watching this movie and was quite ready for a major disappointment. However, it did not happen. In my opinion, the movie is the crown of the entire series, an ode to Chucky, the star of popular culture. Look how he refuses to become human ...superb! For a lover of camp, gory flicks, horror and parody, there are so many delightful moments in the movie. However, it is not horror as such,nor any other particular genre for that matter. Chucky is not even the main star of the movie! I have already declared myself as a fan, and maybe my view is not entirely unbiased. Still, here are some things I particularly enjoyed:

1. The appearance of John Waters as an actor. Need I say more? Big +

2. Glen/Glenda who speaks with British accent, resembles David Bowie from his Ziggy Stardust phase and has sexual/personality identity issues. How cool is that? Big +

3. Very clear references, notably to Psycho, Shining, Rosemary's Baby (and some other movies by Mr. Polanski, but more in the form of allusions), and even Pinnochio. I am sure there are many more. Big +

4. Jennifer Tilly, one of the sexiest, most sensual, intelligent actresses I have ever seen. Ideal for all sorts of subversive films. Of course, she is wonderful in this one too. Mmm... Jennifer I love you. There, I have said it. Big +

5. Directing, music,setting, costumes. Yes, I liked them all... Thank you people, well done.

Not a disappointment.

Author: oldman007 from Australia
31 March 2005

I am a big fan of Chucky, i have been a fan on him ever since i was 6 years old. When I first saw this movie was going to be made, i thought it would be terrible. This film can just go to show you how wrong thoughts can be. I heard Glen was going to be in it. I thought he was going to be stupid at first, but i was wrong again.

Chucky was only in this movie for 30 mins. But, that didn't worry me at all. The other characters were interesting as well. No bad characters. just about everything you could ask for. Don Mancini did a great job at directing this movie.

This film had everything you could ask for. Glen was a very lovable character. Tiffany came back into it again. And Of course, Chucky! It had great actors in it. Jeniffer Tilly really helped this movie along with this movie. She plays a great part. And Introducing Billy Boyd. He played a great character. And Brad Dourif returns as Chucky again! This film is definitely for the Chucky fans. If you are not a Chucky fan, then you should not watch this film under any circumstances. This movie also had hilarious bits in it. Such as Britney Spears getting rammed off a cliff. If you are a humungous Chucky fan like me, you will not be disappointed at all.

Playing With Dolls

Author: James Christopher Conner (cconner@inteqrx.com) from Dallas, TX
12 November 2004

'SEED OF CHUCKY' is perverse, absurd, disgusting and fun as all hell.

Anyone who goes to see a CHUCKY movie expecting a horror film is not living in reality. CHUCKY has become a comedy series of the blackest sort and that's certainly not a bad thing. While 'SEED' is no 'BRIDE', it still manages to deliver the goods and there are about a million in-jokes to test your movie IQ. Go to see this in the proper frame of mind and you won't likely be disappointed.

---My only serious criticism would be that this whole movie stars spoofing themselves (John Malkovich, Neal Patrick Harris, etc., and now Jennifer Tilly and Redman) has been played out. It's great to see that they have a sense of humor about themselves but it's getting old.---

much more of a comedy than an horror movie.

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
26 September 2005

I was curious about watching the SEED OF CHUCKY, since the last movie made everybody stay in a sort of expectation about chucky's baby. The movie itself doesn't have any big surprise and it's very predictable,although funny: some of the best parts it's about Chucky's and Tiffanny's kid, Glen.(or Glenda?lol) Glen was raised in U.K.,by a ventriloquist who found him six years ago in a cemetery,where Tiffany and Chucky died. He had a terrible life in U.K., only serving the ventriloquist purposes,and after watching his parents in television, he decides to go Los Angeles to meet them. He resuscitates his parents by accident, and after that, many people starts to be killed. Until then, Glen was different from his parents, and was not a big fan of killing people, but near the end, seeing him all dressed like Tiffanny,helping his father to kill, was much more funny than horrifying. ;)

a light piece of fluff with some gore

Author: movieman_kev from United States
2 June 2005

Chucky's son, picked up at the graveyard where he was born in the last film by a British bloke, now work as a 'dummy' to his ventriloquist. He's having recurring dreams of murdering, and wondering who his real parents are. After seeing Chucky and Tiffany on Access Hollywood, he runs away from his home to America. Once there he reads from the magical necklace and resurrects the two dolls. When finds out his parents are murderers he pees himself (a recurring gag) See he's pretty much a pussy who doesn't know if he's a boy or girl. So Chucky calls him Glen and Tiff calls him Glenda. (laughing yet) While the first three Chucky films were played straight, and "Bride of Chucky" seemed to be a horror comedy. This one is Comedy, with some horror. I found myself amused to a point. Din't really care for the son character. But that's just my opinion. Definitely better than Child's Play 3, but I liked it less then the original, part 2, and "Bride of Chucky"

My Grade: C

Eye Candy: Stephanie Chambers gets topless; we also see Tiffany's doll parts

Funny Black Humor Comedy

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
24 September 2005

Shitface, the son of Chucky and Tiffany, travels from England to Hollywood to meet his parents he had seen on TV. He accidentally resurrects them, and they try to transfer their souls to the body of Jennifer Tilly and Redman.

"Seed of Chucky" is a funny and very gore black humor comedy. There are many bloody jokes, and the movie presents a witty Jennifer Tilly, mocking with her weight, her shape, her voice and her behavior. I found this actress very brave in performing such a outrageous role, and I liked her a lot. John Waters is also hilarious in the role of a snoopy paparazzi. The music score is also great. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "O Filho de Chucky" ("The Son of Chucky")

Bravo! An amazing showcase for Jennifer Tilly--an instant classic!

Author: django-1 from south Texas USA
25 November 2004

I haven't seen a Chucky film since the first one, but with Jennifer Tilly "playing herself" and with John Waters in the cast, I figured I'd give this a chance, and I'm glad I did. While Chucky (Brad Dourif) and his wife Tiffany (Jennifer Tilly) and their child Glen/Glenda (Billy Boyd) are entertaining, the film is really a vehicle for Jennifer Tilly, playing "herself", in other words, an exaggerated version of her public persona. And she is incredibly funny and incredibly daring in that role. For me, this is the performance of the year. I know that Ms. Tilly has a rabid following who see every film she is in, but now I am joining that fold. This film is funny, scary, a wonderful satire of Hollywood and the cult of celebrity. I don't know why others have put down Redman, but he is perfect for his role...also playing an exaggerated version of his public persona. If anyone doesn't "get" this film, then I guess they don't "get" performers such as Mae West or Jayne Mansfield. With this film, Jennifer Tilly should be elevated to that level of greatness. Yes, she is a fine actress who can play any kind of role convincingly, but she also has an aura about her that one cannot buy or train for. There are a few jokes about Julia Roberts in the film, but as Tilly herself surely knows Ms. Roberts could not have gotten away with a role such as this (although she did in a way play a similar role in FULL FRONTAL). Writer-director Don Mancini has hit a grand slam with this film, which will surely become a cult classic. Of the hundreds of films I have rated on the IMDb, this is one of the dozen or so that deserves an unqualified "10." John Waters is perfect for his role as a sleaze reporter--that he was offered a role in the film shows that the filmmakers surely know their lineage! Finally, there is a wonderful musical score by the legendary Italian composer Pino Donaggio. I can't imagine how a Chucky 6 could follow up this film, but the minds who created this amazing film can probably surprise us once again. However, should they choose to retire the franchise with this entry, they will be going out on top. I'll be buying the DVD the day it comes out. And I need to get a picture of Jennifer Tilly for my wall!

Summary: Non-predictable and interesting sequel.

Author: Mauro Cosentino from Argentina
20 February 2005

Who could foresee some years ago that Chucky could have such an extended franchise like this one? He became an icon of modern horror (the word modern referring to the period started in the early 80s). He has won his place along Freddy Kruegger, Jason or Michael Myers, but after many years of recess he had the fortune of had a talented screenwriter such as Don Mancini who always had faith in the potential of the concept of the killer doll.

Mancini reinvented the franchise of Chucky in the previous effort 'The Bride of Chucky' he added humor to the mix and then Chucky got new life. Seed of Chucky takes place some years after the events told in the aforementioned 'Bride' It can't be said that 'Seed' is a predictable horror piece. As the movie goes on (delivering some unforgettable jokes), the personalities of the dolls take unexpected directions. The ending will surprise even the loyal followers of Child's Play saga.

The director has the opportunity of create the most delirious story of Chucky to these days, and he also pay homage to some of his favorite films. Psycho, Glen or Glenda and the films of John Waters (he has a secondary but nice role here) are admired by Mancini and he shows here how much he loves them and respects them. Seed of Chucky not only delivers the necessary amount of blood, scares and laughs, also give us some criticism on Hollywood's trends. The rapper Redman is the tool to make fun of that annoying trend of rapper-actors; even Jennifer Tilly makes fun of herself! And there's more. But the most important is that Chucky still is the star, he has the same charm that makes us adore him.

Film Editing, Cinematography and incidental music are superb, this is a good gesture towards the audience, they pay good money for a movie ticket and they deserve a work well done. This is not the case where creators just exploit the strong points of the sequel and forget about other aspects involved in film-making.

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]