IMDb > Curse of the Ring (2004) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ring of the Nibelungs

Curse of the Ring (TV) More at IMDbPro »Ring of the Nibelungs (original title)

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

The graceful ballad

Author: vichtor from Slovakia
9 December 2004

Uli Edel did a damn fine job on resurrecting the Volsung Saga. I think that "Das Nibelungenlied" is not as much of a fairy tail as LOTR what gives this ballad a bit more of the realistic drama-feeling. No offence, but this is not the usual happy-ending US-Style flick that most of the audience is used to. Maybe that is the reason for this quite low avg. rating.

I really couldn't imagine anyone better suited for the role of cold queen of the cold Island. Kristan(n)a Loken prove to be as cold as beautiful, also a great actress in a role with much more script than she had in T3. Arnold knew back than that "she'll be back!" and she indeed is in this truly wonderful movie.

Good effort!

Author: BBBrown from United States
28 March 2006

Short of producing 2+ hour versions of each of the 4 operas in the Ring Cycle, this is simply excellent storytelling. Truly entertaining and worthy of viewing.

Given the obvious production and time constraints common to almost all television productions, the writers, director and cast have made a quite enjoyable film based on the Norse legends. They know they can't hope to surpass more traditional Wagner opera productions or the cinematic spectaculars like Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia and they don't try. They simply succeed brilliantly at presenting a quite entertaining and enjoyable film variation of the well known tale.

Kudos!!

A nice movie.

Author: Marco van de Voort from Eindhoven, Netherlands
4 August 2005

I really enjoyed the movie (having read the Wagner play for my German classes a decade ago, and then already liking the story). Of course there are not many surprises, given that the story is one and an half centuries old (more if you trace back to the original legends)

Most acting was decent, I didn't like the performance of Alicia Witt though, though I can't really pinpoint what irritated me about her performance. Of course she is not a likable character, but it just seemed that the timing was a bit off, and the acting was a bit forced.

I also liked some of the historic points like the reference to the Roman Emperor, and little details like Roman legionairs (or at least people using their weaponry and armour) walking in the cities. Xanten, one of the central cities was one of the most important, if not the most important Roman city in the Germania Superior province.

I wish they kept the original TITLE!

Author: paristeri from United States
31 March 2006

It was by accident that I happened upon this movie on the sci/fi channel and realized what the story was really about- I enjoyed it very much and purchased the DVD after seeing it. I do wish the DVD was the original, however instead of the edited version. I am a major supporter of the new Beowulf and Grendel film by Sturla Gunnarson and think it's of interest that Nordic tales are making a comeback. We are definitely in need of some heroic myths that demonstrate the dichotomy/conflict inherent in these stories- That the human experience is not black versus white extremes- but all the colors in between..Finally I actually get the basic story of Siegfried and the ring of the Nieblungs..and I want to find out the rest of the story!

Good TV Production

Author: SonOfTheDark from Vienna, Austria
1 December 2004

I've watched both parts and they entertained me very well. The second part was better, because the role of Kristanna Loken ("T3") was bigger and the fightscenes looked much better! This is a very good TV movie and Benno Fürmann ("The Order"), Max von Sydow ("Minority Report") and Alicia Witt ("Vanilla Sky") did a great job. Julian Sands ("Warlock") was very cool as the bad guy ;)

The story was different to the original German saga, but it was enjoyable. The effects were also very exciting for this budget! (23 Mio.)

First part: 6/10 Second part: 8/10

Sword Of Xanten

Author: Sarah Stobo from United Kingdom
15 April 2006

When i first heard of this film i wanted to see it, so i sat and watched it. Unlike other people i actually enjoyed it. I liked it that much a year and a half later i bought it. Personally i liked the actors in this especially Kristanna Loken. She was terrific in this film. She portrayed her character the Queen of Iceland very well and she is quite terrifying. I had no problem with Benno Furmann either. I think Benno and Kristanna were a good match on screen, made a good couple. The story is very good, its a bit Romeo and Juliet-sh which i like especially when it is a fantasy film as well. Good effects, the dragon Fanfir was believable. Julian Sands as ever makes a good bad guy, just brilliant! I never listen to other peoples comments as i like to see things for myself. I give this film 9 out of 10, because its no Lord Of The Rings i agree but this is in my eyes a love story. Lord Of The Rings was more about war.

Beautiful film

Author: stilsp from Bulgaria
22 April 2006

This film is a beautiful legend about the true love, hate, betrayal and friendship. I think not the effects are the most important thing in this movie but the message it gives to us. I will remember this film because there are very few films with such strong message. Everyone who believes in good and in morals should see this movie! The actors play is not at a high level with the exception of Max Von Sudof and Kristanna Loken but this is not so important because the background of the film - the history on the basis of which it was made is fascinating. I really enjoyed the play of Kristanna Loken. She proved that she is one of the most prospering actresses at the moment. Especially in such epic kind of movies. Enjoy the film.

Not a bad effort....

Author: J. Crompton from Leigh, Lancs
20 November 2004

I went to this movie with zero expectations. Every review had lambasted it as an awful effort. Well, the critics are just plain wrong. Alright, it's not exactly the towering greatness that the LOTR films have achieved, and some of its shots may be derivative of LOTR, but this is no turkey. The story of course, is based on the ancient Germanic 'Ring Cycle' legend, which J.R.R. Tolkien ( along with other ancient sagas like the 'Edda', the 'Kalevala' and 'Beowulf' ) derived inspiration. The film may not live up to its source material, but its certainly a more interesting effort than the woeful 'King Arthur' recently released.

Some Slight SPOILERS ( If you don't know the legend )

Our hero Siegfried ( Benno Furmann ), is a prince lost as a boy, living with a blacksmith who found him after a great battle. Raising him as his son, the blacksmith ( an interesting turn from Max von Sydow ) teaches him the crafts of smithy. And when he meets the Queen of Iceland ( Kristianna Loken ) at the site of a meteor crater, the pair fall in love and vow to meet again. On the tale goes, with Siegfried slaying a dragon, capturing his horde of gold, and meeting the king, Gunther ( Samuel West ), and his beautiful sister Kriemhild ( Alicia Witt ). West is excellent as always here. He knows this kind of stuff in his sleep, being a veteran of Fantasy as a genre: playing Prince Caspian in the Chronicles of Narnia BBC TV series ( 1989 ) all those years ago.

Worth a mention are the many and varied visual effects in the picture. The Dragon especially is an amazing creation. Perhaps not of the standard of the more celebrated effects houses, like ILM, Weta Digital, Digital Domain, Sony Imageworks, et all. But certainly an interesting concept and design. Though obviously not on the scale or scope of the films its attempting to copy, this is no 'Hallmark' production, having the look and feel at times of a film three times its low, 30 million dollar budget. Perhaps the only real problem is the disappointing performances of the two leads, Furmann and Loken. Lokens' accent can be questionable, and Furmann struggles to rise to the levels of Von Sydow and West. And despite the lengthy-ness ( some would say over-length ) of the film, characters like Icelandic Queens' rune-seer, and the Ghosts of the Nibelung feel like token additions, with no character work done here.

All in all, this film is far from perfect, and has aspects that disappoint, but, it IS a worthwhile attempt to visualize one of the most important works to the whole fairytale/fantasy genre. It isn't flippant, or played for laughs ( like the woeful 'Dungeons and Dragons', 1999 ); it attempts to present a legend come to life. And in comparison to some other recent stabs at this, it ain't half bad.

A poor man's lord of the rings but enjoyable nonetheless

Author: retrogangster from United Kingdom
21 January 2005

Based on the myth that influenced Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, The Ring of the Nibelungs shares many similarities with the great man's work.

Although limited I thought the special effects were excellent particularly the dragon. Siegfrid's accent was off putting but no less so than the posh English accents that many of the cast had considering this is meant to be set in Scandinava.

If you like fantasy and Lord of the Rings you will enjoy this. The soundtrack is very haunting and compliments the film very well. Kristanna Loken is gorgeous and although her acting isn't up to scratch, she does look great on screen ;)

Another Wonderful Version of the Saga of Siegfried

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
17 May 2008

The blacksmith Siegfried (Benno Fürmann) meets the Queen of Island Brunhild (Kristanna Loken) in the crater of a fallen meteoroid and defeats her in an ax battle. They fall in love for each other and Kriemhild promises to wait for him in her kingdom. Siefried forges a sword using the strange ore; he slays a dragon and baths in its blood to become invincible and wealthy with the Treasure of the Nibelungen. Then he fights and defeats the dwarf Alberich (Sean Riggs) from the Realm of the Nibelungen and gets his magic helmet that makes the user take whatever form he wishes. When Siegfried meets Kriemhild (Alicia Witt), she drops a magic love potion in his wine and he immediately falls in love for her and forgets Brunhild. When Siegfried asks the hand of Kriemhild to her brother King of Burgundy Gunther (Samuel West), he advises that he would accept if Siegfried helps him to win the strong Queen of Iceland Brunhild. Siegfried uses his helmet to defeat Brunhild pretending that he is Gunther and Brunhild accepts to marry him. When the jealous Kriemhild discloses the truth to Brunhild, she leads Siegfried and her kingdom to a tragedy.

The saga of Siegfried is certainly one of the most beautiful tales of the old times of pagan gods. In 1924, Fritz Lang released the masterpiece "Die Nibelungen: Siegfried", an impressive movie ahead of time and one of the most beautiful fantasies ever. The made for TV "Ring of the Nibelungs" was a great surprise for me, since it is another wonderful version of the saga of Sirgfried. The story is engaging, developed in a perfect pace and using decent special effects. The cast has great performances, and includes the gorgeous Alicia Witt and Kristanna Loken in the role of the sweet Kriemhild and the strong Brunhild. In the end, this delightful movie is not so powerful as Fritz Lang's masterpiece, but it is a great family entertainment. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "A Maldição do Anel" ("The Curse of the Ring")

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]