IMDb > Hitch (2005/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 38:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Surprisingly Good

Author: rossjharvey from Canada
9 February 2005

What - a Will Smith movie with nothing blowing up? I was all prepared to hate this movie. I mean c'mon, a chick flick with Will Smith? It seems Will Smith can only play one character - himself - but in this one he tones that down and comes across as a real human being.

I was so surprised by this movie. I ended up laughing through the whole thing and came to care for and relate to all the characters.

There was NOTHING about racial stereotypes. It wasn't about a black guy teaching a white guy to dance at all. It was about a bunch of characters who legitimately grow from the first scene to the last.

Take you girlfriend and go!

Very Entertaining, Funny, Pretty Original Story

Author: ltclark from Columbus OH
12 February 2005

This was a movie that, at the end, I thought "Now that was an enjoyable 2 hours!" I hate spending around $20 (not including baby-sitting $$) for my husband and myself to have that "It was OK" feeling.

I think I like Will Smith better as a comedic actor than an action hero. He was well cast in this. His character was very likable, as was Kevin James'.

There were several laugh out loud scenes. It's also a romantic movie, so guys, if you want to impress the lady in your life, take her to this. Women will like it as much as any chick-flick, but I wouldn't categorize this as one. There is plenty of guy humor in it for men to enjoy. I think that's one of the reasons why this movie is so perfect as a date movie. It has romance AND slapstick. I don't usually like slapstick that much, but it wasn't overdone and I can't think of any those scenes that didn't deliver laughs.

I definitely recommend this movie. The first thing my husband said to me after it was over was "I want to see it again!"

Pleasantly surprised...

Author: botner from Chicago
3 February 2005

I saw this movie screened last night, and you know what? I liked it. For the most part, it's a by the numbers 'chick flick', but makes no pretensions to be more than that, and in fact, is very good for what it is.

The easy thing to do would be to take potshots at this film; throw out things like 'Fresh Prince', 'getting jiggy with it', and even throw around the whole 'black dude making a white dude cool' angle; but that's too easy isn't it? Like shooting fish in a barrel.

No, this isn't a Wes Anderson film. The humor is rather broad, though much it very funny. Of course you won't see it up for an Oscar (what a tired joke that is); nor does it contain Quientin Tarantion-esquire dialogue or groundbreaking visuals.

But taken for what it is, a romantic comedy, it really is very good. Great chemistry between all the leads. Eve Mendes is gorgeous. And Kevin James steals nearly every scene he's in. It gets a bit sappy towards the end (don't all mainstream romantic comedies though?), but if you're looking for a above average date movie with more than a few belly laughs, this is your film.

A solid B+.

Will Smith can do no wrong

Author: blout from NYC, NY
14 February 2005

I expected a good movie. What I got was an even better movie. The chemistry between James and Smith is just incredible. Glad to see him in a major motion picture for once!

The movie works, because the actors play their parts perfectly. Will Smith is fantastic with his never ending charm; Kevin James is hilarious, and Eva Mendes...well, let's just say she plays that bitch/sweet/annoying role to the best of her ability.

What I loved about the movie was the fact that Will Smith didn't even have to try to be lovable. He just was!! The "date doctor" had all the right moves, said everything in the most perfect of ways, and never ever went over the top.

The funny parts are hilarious...and the cute, romantic parts are unforgettable.

I totally recommend this movie. And no, it is not a chick flick.

Very Entertaining

Author: cd_airmcnair from United States
11 February 2005

This film was not about stereotypes, nor dance moves, nor pickup lines, really. This film was about the vulnerability of peoples' hearts. It was hard to believe that Kevin James could play in a convincing role, that Will Smith could satisfy without action, and that such a hackneyed genre of film could succeed in such a way. I don't intend to sound overly endeared with this film - it wasn't "groundbreaking" in any sort of way - but it was a film worth seeing. Was it believable? No. New York couldn't be so simple and there has been no human being in the history of mankind that has the "hutzpah" of Hitch. Sure, there are bar-studs, but not ones that can get any chick, at any time - excluding those raking in seven figures, of course. The thing that worked best for this film was its true focus on the dramatic side of things, not just on the comedy. It was a funny two hours, no doubt. But it was also two hours that made you sit in your seat, become immersed in the characters, and smile.

Love Cynics hate Hitch but True Romantics believe

Author: An_NJ_Angel from United States
11 February 2005

It's about time the multiplex features a romantic comedy with a multi-cultural cast. As a New Jersean, I can honestly say Hitch did for New York what Pretty Woman did for Rodeo Drive. The city is appealing, the premise is intriguing and the acting quite wonderful. Only lovelorn prudes that have no hope of a great sex life could hate this movie.

Now I'm not saying the movie is perfect… as a matter of fact the last act seemed a bit little rushed. Alex's epiphany about love and his feelings for Sara seems incomplete. Is it me or did the director leave some film pieces on the editing room floor? But even with that said, it's a romantic movie that will have men alert enough to have an intelligent conversation afterward. Don't believe what the sour critics say about this movie … besides are any of them single in the current dating world? I believe most of them are either married or so hopelessly ridged in their solitary life that they wouldn't recognize dating for middle classed professionals people if it was on a screen in front of them.

Will Smith enters a wonderful genre as Alex "Hitch" Hitchens, a professional dating consultant, and he is properly showcased with great cast mates - Eva Mendes (Sara), Kevin James (Albert), and Amber Valletta (Allegra). If Smith continues to stretch his talents in this arena I'm sure we'll see a great Tom Hanks, Sleepless in Seattle performance in the future.

Hitch is a movie that makes single people and new couples alike believe in finding love in this cynical world. It's worth the price of admission.

Romantic Comedy Fit For Both Men And Women. Highly Recommended!

Author: BigHardcoreRed from Calimesa, California
15 February 2005

Hitch is about a man who knows what works with women and teaches the guys who do not do well with them some tricks of the trade. Actually, he more or less walks them through it. Hitch guarantees success up until the dreaded 3rd date kiss. After that, they are on their own. Of course, Hitch finds a girl who he falls for and everything that he thinks he knows does not work out for himself, when following the same guidelines. The movie was a well-written romantic comedy which both guys and girls could have a fun time watching. Perfect for Valentine's Day, which I'm sure was no marketing coincidence it was released on Valentine's Day weekend.

Will Smith is perfect as Hitch. His performance here reminded me of a more mature, possibly grown up Fresh Prince Of Bel Air. He was the smooth talker and was able to read any situation for himself or his clients to make a memorable impression, then have a memorable date with the women his clients are affectionate towards. Sounds a little sleazy, but Hitch has his own rules. He does not help out the guys who want to "Hit it and quit it", so to speak, only those who really seem to like or love the woman they are after. One thing the film never gets into is what Hitch makes for a job like this, as I wonder how much something like that could be worth in monetary value.

Eva Mendes plays Sara, Hitch's love interest. She does quite a good job in her role here. Sara is the type of girl who is always on the defense when approached by men, therefore, is leery of any advances. Hitch reads her well and makes his way in, until she discovers what is is he actually does. For some reason, women tend to take offense to his "job".

Kevin James is also perfect as Albert, a man who is in love with a rich woman named Allegra Cole, but she does not know he exists. His expressions of nervousness and fright are hilarious. Heck, the movie is just a darn good one. Nothing too offensive, a bad word here or there but nothing major. I do not think it warrants it's PG-13 rating, but a plain old PG would be fine for me. Regardless of it's rating, I can honestly recommend Hitch to just about anyone and Will Smith rarely disappoints. 9.5/10

A great date movie

Author: Quailman53 from United States
20 February 2005

Last evening I had the remarkable pleasure of seeing the movie Hitch. I was stunned and amazed. Will Smith did a phenomenal job in a role that he isn't always associated with. He proved once and for all that he does not need to be holding a gun to be a great actor in a movie. Kevin James was also very impressive. I admit that I've always like him on "The King of Queens" but this role really brought him into the light more, and i hope to see him on the big screen a lot more in the near future. The movie was funny and adorable and I recommend it to any guy as the best date movie you could ever imagine. The mix of comedy, romance, and drama left me feeling complete. It's nothing like most "chick flicks" in the sense of tears and sadness, but holds its own and i think can be equally enjoyed by males as well as females. I encourage all couples especially to see this movie but even if you aren't involved with someone you may pick up some great ideas from Hitch.

TWO WAY BIG THUMBS UP!!!

Cute date movie for Valentine's Day

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
10 February 2005

In this romantic comedy, Alex 'Hitch' Hitchins (Will Smith) is a legendary but anonymous date doctor in New York City. Hitch advises klutzy male wallflower clients on ways to make good first impressions on the women of their dreams. To contact Hitch, a man must have a referral from one of his former clients. Once Hitch accepts you as a client, he will coach you on your first three dates; after that, you're on your own. Hitch's newest client is Albert Brennaman (Kevin James), a fat tax accountant in love with a celebrity client, Allegra Cole (Amber Valetta). Allegra doesn't know that Albert exists, so Albert contacts Hitch to make his dream come true. Hitch decides to make Albert a client, even though, he knows this is going to be tough. While working on this job, Hitch meets Sara Melas (Eva Mendes), a gossip reporter for a daily tabloid, who is following Allegra's every move. Sara has given up on men, and Hitch wants to cut through that layer, because he is the master of love, so he thinks. With Valentine's Day around the corner, this is a good date movie. Women will love it, and men may pick up a few pointers. The movie is hilarious and filled with verbal and slapstick comedy from beginning to end. There are several scenes that may make you bust a gut laughing. (Columbia, Run time 1:55, Rated PG-13)(8/10)

Often Very Funny and Worth Watching

Author: christian123
29 June 2005

Will Smith is Alex "Hitch" Hitchens, a long-time bachelor who has become known as the New York City "date doctor" who charges to help men get the women of their dreams. Although he helps all these other men, he somehow is not able to have nearly as much success with Sara (Eva Mendes), the woman he himself loves.

Hitch is a safe yet funny and entertaining romantic comedy. The premise sounds pretty good and the execution is also pretty good. Yes, it is very predictable and kind of cheesy. However, that doesn't mean it isn't entertaining. I think Hitch is better than most romantic comedies that have come out in the past year because the characters are likable and Smith & Mendes have enough chemistry together to make the film work. Will Smith is very charming as Hitch. He plays the role well and he never gets annoying. It's also nice to see him in a film that doesn't involve a bunch of things blowing up. Eva Mendes also gives a pretty good performance and she is also very pretty.

Surprisingly, the best thing about Hitch is Kevin James. His performance is funny and also pretty realistic. The only problem is that most of his scenes appear in the trailer and this lessens the effect. I never really liked him before but now I hope he makes more movie appearances. Out of the four main actors, Amber Valletta is the weakest. She gives an average performance and she just doesn't fit well with the other three. The rest of the supporting actors are also pretty funny, especially the customers that ask Hitch for help.

The only problem I really have with Hitch is that it plays it too safe. If it was a little more edgier than the film could have been really good but it still stands an enjoyable romantic comedy. It's not really surprising that the film is safe since Andy Tennant is the director. He directed It Takes Two and Sweet Home Alabama. He's like the king of harmless, fluff films and Hitch is his best work to date. Another thing that bothered me was the running time. 118 minutes is too long for a predictable story and it does take a toll on the audience. I think it's bad since the story is by-the-numbers and the film takes awhile to reach obvious places. If it was a little shorter, than it would have been fine. In the end, Hitch is an enjoyable romantic comedy and one of the funniest films I have seen this year. Rating 8/10

Page 1 of 38:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]