IMDb > "Dave the Barbarian" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Dave the Barbarian" More at IMDbPro »

As Far as I'm Concerned...

Author: strictlyrouge from Canada
5 January 2005

I am not a big fan of Disney. I don't like Lizzie McGuire, I don't like That's So Raven, I HATE the stupid sequels that they come out with every month. This show however is absolutely wonderful. This is the kind of off-the-wall humor that kids and adults can appreciate. This show never fails to put a smile on my face.

For Instance: "Dave creates a homemade megaphone using nothing but a squirrel, and piece of string, and a megaphone!"

That is gold. The plots are hilarious but easy enough for a kid to follow, the characters are well developed and reliable, and the character voices just completely make the show. Faffy and Twinkle the Wonderhorse are my heroes! :D

Pure insane goofiness. ;)

Author: darktiger from Livermore, CA
20 October 2004

Well, let's offset the childish negativity of the last comment.

Dave the Barbarian has a wonderfully warped sense of humor. Something completely unexpected to come out of Disney Channel. My only problem is they tend to run through the series too quick then rerun it for ages before putting out new episodes. They seem to do this with all their shows, though. :( I can't wait to see more.

If you like the humor of shows such as Animaniacs, chances are you'll love Dave. The so-called "lazy and cheap" drawings are better than a lot of cartoons out there today (Ed, Edd, and Eddie? Rugrats?), and the style just fits with the humor of the show.

Definite recommendation from me.

Extremely hilarious!

Author: talbaineric from New Mexico, USA
25 March 2004

I love this show lots! I've grown to be a fan of it.

Its centered in the Middle Ages around a barbarian family,a rather odd yet funny one. Dave,a reluctant,allergic-to-about-everything,phobic barbarian,Candy,the older sister who is a typical teenager,and Fang,the youngest and the great little terror of the family. Keeping watch over them while their mom and dad are away battling evil is their Uncle Oswidge,a scruffy sorcerer who loves to eat. Aiding Dave is his wise-cracking sarcastic enchanted sword Lula and the family pet dragon,Faffy.

I didn't think too much of it at first,but once I gave the show a chance,I ended up loving it. And I'm glad to see not only me,but other people are praising this show left and right. It truly deserves it.

5 out of 5 stars.

Wasted in current slot, wonderful show!

Author: jayride4_jc from Minnesota
3 March 2004

This is an amazing cartoon! Having two kids and getting a healthy dose of animation daily, this is one of the most hilarious and entertaining cartoons out there. Not an adult theme, but quite a few quips that adults can appreciate, this show is truly wasted in its time slot. It belongs in Saturday morning or after-school in mass syndication. Each character fills a completely opposite role. Phobic brute, tiny horror, beauty queen, crazy wizard, lazy pet. It's been done before, but not with such pizazz. Even the "evil" characters are highly interesting. More than once I've been stuck in front of the TV at the worst times, unable to peel my eyes from the screen and a smile so big it hurts.

Comedy gold.

Author: Gretchen Crumpacker from Newport Beach, CA
6 July 2005

We chanced upon this cartoon while surfing channels at bedtime, and now the whole family is hooked, from Daddy and me, in our forties, down to our 2-year-old son. All of us giggle madly.

This cartoon is reminiscent of old Bullwinkle cartoons, George of the Jungle, and Animaniacs, with a dash of Ren & Stimpy thrown in for good measure. It's silly manic fun, and you have to love any cartoon that can send a toddler and a preschooler (and their parents) into fits of mad giggling over evil lederhosen. Purely priceless. Watch it once -- either you'll get it and be hooked, or you'll never get it. This is a cartoon the whole family can have fun with because it works on a lot of different levels.

Sooooo Funny!!!!

Author: free2fly12 from Washington, USA
2 February 2004

I love this show! Call me immature, but I think it's hilarious. The villains are weirdly pathetic, not really evil at all. The "heros" are almost as pathetic as the villains, yet they always manage to bumble through and set things right in the end. I love Dave, who reminds me of my brother. He wants to do things right, but can't seem to realize that he's doing it all wrong and making a bigger mess. I love that he keeps a small dragon for a pet. I rate this show 4* out of 5.

Awesome

Author: Miriam G from Iceland
14 April 2006

When I saw the opening of "Dave the Barbarian" for the first time, I thought it was just another badly-drawn, lame cartoon show that's supposed to be funny. But I was too lazy to change the channel, so I kept watching. I was surprised to find out that this show is exactly my cup of tea. I mean, that episode was about evil lederhosen; need I say more? Other gems of this show include an overly cute and overly chronically depressed magic pony and a diabolic villain named Chuckles the Silly Pig. And at the end of the episode, when other Disney cartoons reveal their corny, moral lesson, the characters in "Dave the Barbarian" say things like, "I always thought strength was everything. But in the end, what really counted was reading the washing instructions." So if you have a whacky sense of humour á la Monty Python, and are looking for something to watch with your child that both of you will enjoy, I recommend Dave the Barbarian. This is one show I'd like to have on DVD!

Dave the Barbarian Rules!

Author: timmarshal from United States
4 February 2006

My whole family loves this show, it has some real wit to it(sorry some are too dull to understand this) and lighthearted. It was with great sadness we realized it would not be renewed. It amazing how people complain about this show when such garbage is on TV now. Power Rangers? Wiskers and Brandy. Dancing with the Stars! And people insult this show.

We love the show because it is so quirky. He is obviously not a barbarian, but the show is about comedy- and it excels! What is the crime- producing a show that all the family can like?

If you don't like it, watch some of the other more vapid shows now available. The whole problem it that this is on Disney, if this was on Nick, it would be seen by many more and would have been renewed.

Never judge a barbarian by his cover...

Author: Megan_Koumori from Still Nowhere
26 April 2005

Dave gets a lot of flack from viewers who I suspect haven't even watched the show. I too was wary, but seeing that Danny Cooksey was in the title role (Budnick forever, though "Salute your Shorts" may be rotting in Herb's vault somewhere), I felt obliged to tune in at least once. I'm very glad I did.

From afar, Dave may look bogus, but it's actually a smartly written show. A combination of Monty Python and the Holy Grail with Rocky and Bulliwinkle, with enough scatological humor to please Rocko and Angry Beavers fans, but not to the "throw up" extreme (As in, yuck!, Catdog), it takes constant jabs at "heroes" like He-Man and Conan. For example, in the Barbarian-Mitzvah episode, Dave's tester is a cloaked Skeletor-like figure who introduces himself as...Gloria (Did I mention, there's Family Guy-esq humor to spare, though it's considerably toned down.).

Dave's parents are out fighting all the evil in the world, and they take their job very causally, sending home souvenirs (which sometimes try to kill the kids,), instructing everyone to brush their teeth while chained to a wall, etc. Most shows would have the parents fighting a specific type of evil, which would probably ultimately doom the kingdom, but for Dave's parents, all the evil in the world is good enough.

My one problem is Candy, who assumes a Lizzie Maguire attitude throughout the show, which dooms her character to stereotype. But I'm being to wonder if she's truly that type of character or supposed to be a parody. At least she does some awesome martial arts.

Everybody loves Twinkle the Marvel Horse. A "cute" magical pony with a sick, twisted mind, it's not unusual for Twinkle to come out of nowhere in the middle of a show and start singing about rabid rats and other tortures. For this stroke of pure genius, the show's writers should be upheld.

In short, give this show a shot. If it was on Cartoon Network or Nick (Well, probably not Nick. Worthless piece of scumbag trash that network's become), it would probably be a classic by now. Like many great shows though (How many can YOU name?), it's doomed on the wrong channel.

Too Great For Words...

Author: Tally C from United States
31 January 2006

Dave the Barbarian is a Disney Channel show, but it doesn't seem much like one. It's about a sensitive, creative, and BUFF guy named Dave who only wanted to be a Barbarian because he thought it meant a Librarian who also cuts hair. He lives in the Middle Ages, in a castle. His parents left to fight evil and what-not, leaving Dave's valley-girl sister, Candy, in charge. He also has a little sister, Fang, who is at least 5 times more of a bug-squashing barbarian than Dave will ever be, a pet potato-shaped dragon named Faffy, Lula the sarcastic Enchanted Sword, Twinkle the "Marvel Horse", and his Uncle Oswidge, a "wizard".

Dave and his Merry Band of Idiots fight many enemies, but the main source of most of their problems is Dark Lord Chuckles, the Silly Piggy. Uses the Amulet of Hogswineboar, he tries to destroy Dave so he can take over the world! Dave's family has many problems at home, too. Sometimes, these problems can teach us a lesson about not being bossy, or being true to yourself. Other times, they will end in songs about eggs by the name of Steve.

The great thing about this show is, it can be predictable. Usually, that's a bad thing. But on this show, it's funny. They make it SO obvious that something is going to happen, and they do it on purpose. How can you not laugh when **WARNING, SPOILER!** Chuckles jumps in with a beard and a wig, and the gang thinks he is their new Band Manager? Another great thing is the jokes. Calling someone "As stupid as the stuff you scoop out of pumpkins" is sure to get SOMEONE to laugh! It got me to.

In short, give it a chance if you ever get to see it. This show could have gone so far, if it weren't for lack-of-open-mindedness from viewers.