IMDb > Je n'aime que toi (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Je n'aime que toi More at IMDbPro »

Fantastic soundtrack by Jorane!

Author: jstrob2 from Montreal
21 August 2004

One thing I really enjoyed in this movie was its wonderful soundtrack. The composer and performer, Jorane, made her first soundtrack for this movie and I really hope she will make other soundtracks in the future. I sincerely think she is a genius.

And about the movie... I liked the story. But I think the director is more of a writer than a cinematographer. I think a more original editing and photography could have enhanced this movie.

About the casting: Noémie Godin-Vigneau is quite good, but I can't stand to see always the same 10 actors in movies from Quebec. I saw Michel Forget with the same mustache and haircuts in so many roles but with always the same attitude that now when I see him, I see only Michel Forget and not the character he is trying to play... for example. And I don't think an humorist is fitting in this movie neither (I'm talking about an humorist who is making a cameo). I know so many good actors in Quebec so there is no excuse for that.

I also wanted to point out something about the dialogs. The level of language is inconsistent. Sometimes the characters speak like if they are reading a text (more like a Quebecer trying to speak like a French from France) and sometimes the same character is speaking more casually. It really breaks the realism. Maybe it would be acceptable in a novel but not in a movie at all.

About the strong sexual content the first reviewer is mentioning... it's just in the language. There is a bit of nudity, but no graphic sex scenes.

Pretty good drama

Author: Corto_Maltese from Montréal, Québec, Canada
29 January 2004

A famous middle-aged author overcomes his writer's block by befriending a young prostitute and using her shocking life story as an inspiration for his new book. Their relationship grows deeper, eventually affecting his professional commitments and his marriage. There is something keeping her from returning his feelings, though.

It's an OK movie, by no means great but better than average. It does have strong sexual content, so those who are easily shocked should stay away. It's a simple story, but the journey of the main character and his relation with the prostitute are very well developed. At the end when we see the whole picture it becomes quite interesting.

On the negative side I was conscious of the acting on a few occasions. Nothing overly distracting though.

Are we suppose to care?

Author: LeRoyMarko from Toronto, Canada
10 April 2005

I'm growing tired of movies like this one. Even with the improbable ending, it lacks originality.

A well-known author is having difficulty with his next book. He's facing a blank page. One day, it meets a prostitute in a coffee shop. Soon after, she becomes the inspiration for his new novel. A novel that will be celebrated by the critics. But this kind of story, the genre, is as old as Mathusalem. Even though both lead actors are doing a fine job, we just don't care for the characters they're playing.

One good note: the soundtrack by Jorane. I really like the music from this young artist. A few years ago, I saw one of her show and was enchanted.

Seen in Toronto, at the Royal Cinema, on April 5th, 2005, during the Cinéfranco festival.

72/100 (**)