IMDb > A Boyfriend for Christmas (2004) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Boyfriend for Christmas

A Boyfriend for Christmas (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A Boyfriend for Christmas rates a 10 in my book.

Author: dwebster7 from United States
28 December 2004

This movie possessed many intriguing smaller conflicts that were eventually resolved in a happy manner. The whole thematic idea of bringing back Christmas into Holly's life was a direct message to the viewing audience that we should never " give up hope " and to those friends out there that need just that little nudge to step into someone else's life can make one's life turn-a-round.

The plot was superb, casting couldn't have been better. Production was excellent. I could go on for hours but trust that I will urge all of my friends to watch for it next year. This film speaks to the masses in so many ways, values, and how we all should act everyday. I believe I watched the majority of the December offerings. This movie was the chestnut of them all.

Only saved by Patrick Muldoon's charm

Author: mikhail080 from the ruins beneath the Planet of the Apes
26 December 2006

Occasionally at Christmastime I allow myself to settle down on the sofa and watch a really cheesy feel-good movie. One that I'd normally never have chosen to see, and maybe challenge it to put me in the proper Holiday spirit. So when "A Boyfriend For Christmas" came on the Hallmark Network, I thought I'd give it a viewing, mainly because it looked bright and cheery -- with attractive lead actors and Santa Claus to boot!

Now this is the type of movie that would be pointless to berate, or to discuss all its plot holes, inconsistencies and shortcomings. I mean, it has the real Santa Claus as one of the main characters, and a snow-globe as an important plot device. Here's a Christmas movie not afraid to name the main character "Holly!" I expected the movie to be predictable and follow the formula for breezy romantic comedy, but it still does fall short in some respects, even for a movie aiming this low.

Here the characters here are simply powered by the force of the plot, and they really have no internal motivation, except to push the story in the direction it needs to go. For instance, Holly's mother is almost maniacally obsessed with her annual New Year's Eve Party, with no real reason other that to provide a setting for a conflict later on. Holly's nephews are around, just to provide a messy situation at the right point that leads two characters to a reconciliation. The former boyfriend's motives are murky at best, and there's a perplexing kiss between him and Holly, which is inexplicable, except that it helps propel the rickety plot.

And I'd have to add that there is a totally out-of-place and unintentionally hilarious interlude with Holly figure skating at the local outdoor ice rink. The professional skater hired to double for the actress has a totally different body shape and coloring. This amateurish scene, which go on far too long, was obviously added to pad this TV G-rated movie, and "freezes" the momentum of the story. It's even more phony than the chipped ice the set dressers dumped on the ground and shrubbery to simulate winter weather.

If there's anything here is to strongly recommend, it's the charm and appeal of Patrick Muldoon, as the boyfriend supplied by Santa Claus. He's handsome and winning, sometimes goofy and boyish and at other times appropriately serious, sensitive or masculine. In the hands of a lesser talent, this could have been a stale, tedious and vapid affair. But Patrick adds his easy charm and a talent that enables this small movie to reach a level of affectionate likability. And certainly any woman watching this would love to take him home for Christmas.

Hallmark movie done good

Author: Rev_Cole from United States
25 November 2005

I've never found myself much of a fan of Hallmark productions. They call their works original but are more and more just spins/homages to classic movies. Nonetheless, while this movie followed the lines of the average Holiday Romance movie, it was quite good. Kelli Williams was beautiful and mostly believable as her part. The whole story was, while nothing ground breaking, still a wonderful movie that I actually sat through and thoroughly enjoyed. Surprisingly enough, Kelli's young double, another Kelli, was believable as well to be her younger self. All in all, a movie I plan to consider buying on DVD, especially if it has some interesting outtakes and actor interviews.

"Three Thumbs Up"

Author: catgrl9 from United States
15 December 2005

I loved this movie! It is great has great Christmas spirit and is my favorite Christmas movie. The movie is about a girl named Holly wishes for a boyfriend for her 13th Christmas. 20 years later, she has lost most of her Christmas spirit. But when a mysterious man named Doug Firwood shows up at her house as a "Christmas present", she is doubtful. Soon enough, he charms her family and they fall in love. A big misunderstanding breaks the relationship. Will Holly find her true love? You'll have to watch the movie.

This movie really shows what it is like to fall in love with a twist of comedy and Christmas. I have seen it 2 times this year, and loved every minute.

Our New Holiday Tradition

Author: dmh30 from United States
22 November 2008

I know this movie isn't very old. But it has become one of my daughter's and my favorite traditions. We both love the romance of it all. We can't wait for it to be on every Christmas season. The acting is better than most in a "made for TV" movies. We have already set our DVR to make sure we catch this years showing. We recommend it to all our friends and family. It is enjoyable for all ages. My daughter got hooked on this movie when she was about ten years old. And it is still enjoyable to us over 30 romantics, as well.

It is a feel good movie with a happy ending. What more can you ask for at holiday time?

Watchable Christmas time filler

Author: highwaytourist from United States
25 December 2014

I watched this movie on Hallmark last night. There wasn't much Christmas-oriented entertainment in spite of being Christmas Eve. It was OK, even if I didn't really believe it. The movie is another one about nice people with money who have personal problems, which is what fills up most of the Hallmark Channel. It could have been called Chistmas Chick Flick, as that's all it was. On that level, it was good enough. Kelli Williams is pretty as a cynical social worker who needs some Holiday Cheer and 1990's heartthrob Patrick Muldoon is likable and competent as the boyfriend she gets for Christmas from a tree lot owner who might be Santa Claus. Some familiar names are included in the supporting cast and they help make it easy to take. One complaint mentioned by another reviewer is that in spite of the winter season, the plants and trees were in full bloom, which didn't help credibility. It looked like it was filmed in the Spring. It won't matter much if you keep your expectations from getting too high.

Background foliage

Author: silverbird899 from United States
10 January 2007

I realize this TV movie is a few years old but I just saw it this past Holiday season. Like the comment I read posted on the main web page, I agree that the plot needed more complexity. However, I did think the story-line was charming and I liked the acting of all the main characters.

My main protest has to do with the outside settings. This is supposed to be December and all the deciduous trees are still in full foliage? Oh, please. If it's at a geographical location that's cold enough for winter wear and even snow on the ground then I can assure these Southern California movie producers that in December there are NO green leaves (nor even autumn-colored ones left, for that matter) anywhere except on evergreens. Even the grass was still green in this fantasy land.

For some reason I kept getting distracted from the "charming" story by these seasonal discrepancies. They provided a good laugh.

Nice, simple film!

Author: nicole_ward from United Kingdom
11 December 2011

A simple, romantic Christmas film. I enjoyed it and know that many others would if it was given the chance. People don't seem to want to watch films that aren't box office hits anymore. I search the internet for such unknown films (like this one) and I am always much more impressed with them. This film is really nice; I would have liked a little bit more emphasis on the Christmas theme over the romantic theme .. but it was still enjoyable. It had Santa so that was good enough ha!

I think it's a bit slow at first, but after this it picks up and turns out to be great overall. Just get past that slow part and you will most likely enjoy it as much as I did. Yeah, it wasn't the best film (or Christmas film) I have seen, but it is still good and I am glad I found it!

Christmas movie for the female audience

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
24 December 2010

In the spirit of the Christmas season, I watched this movie on TV, and it was the first time I had ever heard about it. And truth be told, there was nothing better on TV, so I decided to give it a go.

Well, the movie was, as to be expected, sassy. The story was sort of alright in its own way, though it was a bit too sassy for my liking. I guess you have to be a woman to fully appreciate this level of sassy activity.

As for the cast, well I actually think that Kelli Williams did a rather good job, and she was good in her role. And it was the first time I have seen her, or maybe I have seen her before, but she didn't leave any impression. Regardless, I think that she put on a good performance in this movie. Acting opposite her was Patrick Muldoon, which I remember having seen in "Starship Troopers", where he had a very memorable role. And I have to admit that I was just sitting there waiting for a bug to plunge a sucker through his skull and suck out his juicy insides. I guess that was both good and bad. Good in the sense that he really left a long-lasting impression from the "Starship Troopers" movie, but bad in the way that he was sort of trapped in that particular role. I didn't really buy into his performance in this movie.

It is my belief that this movie may be suitable for women and younger girls during the Christmas season, as the story is romantic (and quite predictable) and warm. But it is not that interesting for the male viewers, of course I am just guessing here.

"A Boyfriend for Christmas" will not leave a lasting impression as a Christmas movie, so don't except any classic movie in the making here.

Loved this movie!

Author: ann_bookworm from United Kingdom
18 November 2009

Another lovely 'feel good' Xmas movie with great leads - especially Patrick! One of several Hallmark movies that I love to watch at this time of the year - if only we could buy them in the UK, (shame!). My all time favourite has to be 'The Christmas Card' but this is great as well.

To those of you writing here who did not enjoy this - surely you must know if you have ever watched a Hallmark Xmas movie what sort of films they are - wonderfully romantic, possibly a little sweet and syrupy, and dare I say it - predictable (who cares!), definitely aimed at anyone who is a sucker for a little bit of romance and for anyone like me - very watchable! Shakespeare they ain't - but we love them!

To those of you writing here who did enjoy this movie - it's nice to know I am not alone, and that there are other people with a little romance in their soul and a love for movies that can leave them with a big smile on their faces, (not to mention another leading actor to drool over whenever he appears on the screen!)- anyone thinking of Patrick when they read that? Enough said!

In conclusion - if you have not seen this yet and you enjoy Hallmark Xmas movies I would definitely recommend this one. Enjoy!