Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous
Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Sandra Bullock just knows how to make stupidity so cute

Author: (themoviemark@themoviemark.com) from http://www.themoviemark.com
23 March 2005

"The reason for a sequel," says Bullock, "is that Marc (Lawrence, writer and producer) and I found ourselves on numerous occasions imagining what Gracie would have gone on to do after her big triumph at the pageant and how all the media attention would have affected her." Yeah. I'm gonna take a wild one and say the fact that the original made over $300 million (including domestic AND worldwide gross, rentals, and DVD sales) probably had a little something to do with it as well.

Let's be honest here, do you really need a review to convince you of whether or not you want to see this? Seriously, if you watch the trailer and read this review and STILL see the movie, then I don't want to hear any complaints. Walk out of the theater with a smile on your face or I'll put one there, OK? Otherwise, don't see it. Come on, you're not really expecting something fresh and original are you? Have you read the plot line? Miss Congeniality 2 obviously runs a predictable path. Gracie is originally reluctant to become Ms. FBI Barbie, but then she embraces the role and becomes a wee bit too wrapped up in it. But wait! William Shatner and Miss America are kidnapped! So it's off to Las Vegas to run a little PR. Enter Treat Williams as the Las Vegas FBI supervisor (Collins) who has ambitions of writing his own book and doesn't care for Gracie coming in and stealing his thunder. You might as well have cued the sinister music and given him a Cheshire cat to pet and a handlebar mustache to twirl.

It'll come as a shock to approximately three sub-70 IQ viewers that Collins disregards Gracie's attempts at helping and begins to steer the investigation in the wrong direction. You know what that means, right? Time for Gracie to shed the FBI Barbie image and go back to her old ways! Somebody call up Memento, and let it know that a new master of unpredictability is here and its name is Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous! OK, so not really. But who cares? The movie ramps up the cheese, the stupidity, the silliness, and the camp, and it revels in it. The best thing I can say about this sequel is it knows exactly what it is, it knows exactly what its audience wants, it knows exactly how ridiculously over-the-top everything is, and it doesn't care one whit what the critics think. There's no shame to be found here, and for that, I tip my hat.

I'll be honest, if you try to put a movie like this on the shoulders of Julia Stiles or Kirsten Dunst then I'm running screaming for the exit like I'm Haley Joel Osment at Neverland Ranch. But I love Sandra Bullock, and she has the charm and the personality to make me smile at the stupidest stuff. She trips about 24 times, dances at a drag club in a ridiculous outfit, lays a beatin' on a 6'7" behemoth to the tune of Spiderbait's Black Betty, and she forces me to be entertained by it. Admit it, she has a knack for making insanity absolutely adorable.

Oh, and who can forget the addition of a partner! Regina King (the girl from 227) is an FBI transfer with anger management issues. She's assigned as Gracie's bodyguard, and she has a bad habit of overextending herself physically. Yep, you guessed it, they don't initially get along. Can you see hijinks and shenanigans ensuing? I think you can! Is this a great movie? Not by any means. It's not even as good as the original, a big reason being that William Shatner is regretfully underutilized (although he does have a great line about his friend being run over by a milk truck). Oh, and go ahead and make sure you bring your little yellow bucket to puke in during the final scene. A producer somewhere obviously spoke up and said, "Hey, we're one aww-inducing scene short of our quota," and thus the final scene was born.

But you just have to accept that and the fact that this is a comedy that'll have you shaking your head and rolling your eyes more than once. In fact, I should be ashamed to admit that I let myself enjoy it as much as I did. But if you go into the movie expecting to have a good time then you should walk out satisfied. The screening audience absolutely loved it. Granted, proclamations such as, "That is the best movie I've seen this year!" are a bit much, but this is indeed a movie that knows its audience and plays to it effectively.

Are you expecting high art? If so, then you really need to learn how to better analyze movie trailers. You also need to learn how to better analyze movie titles. Armed and Fabulous? One of the great absolutes in life is any time a movie tries to be cute and makes a play on words with a common phrase (in this case, "armed and dangerous") in its movie title, then you better have a tent with you because mama, it's time to set up camp! The only thing missing here is a cameo by Adam West.

I think I'm gonna follow the trend. I'm gonna write a script about baseball called America's Pastime where the home team loses the championship. However, they will get their revenge in the sequel - America's Pastime 2: Payback's a Pitch. It's gonna rule. You know it, and I know it.

Bottom line, America - how often in life will you get the chance to see Sandra Bullock in boxers and a t-shirt, all while sportin' some long, shiny, straight hair? At the very least there is entertainment value in THAT! *sighs wistfully* Rating: 3 (out of 5)

Funny, but not as great as the first.

Author: nerissarbfan from Seattle, Washington, United States
15 March 2005

I saw this movie at a special screening last night. While being a big fan of the first movie, I was fairly excited to see the second. After I saw it, I thought it was OK. Not as clever and original as the first, but still very entertaining. The second had a lot more laughs, slapstick, and funny bits...however I'd say it lacked in plot. EVERYTHING was predictable, and you knew what would happen the moment the movie started--not like in the first movie, which was more inventive and unpredictable to a certain degree.

Also, I was a bit disappointed with the cast (especially Benjamin Bratt not returning). Shatner, whom I looked forward to seeing, was hardly in it--so that was another disappointment. The other actors and actresses were OK. Sandra Bullock was great though, and she really held the film together with her comedic attitude. A 10 for her performance! Besides getting some very huge laughs from Diedrich Bader (who played Bullock's personal stylist),Shatner, and Sandra Bullock, there wasn't much else to offer in the acting department.

However I will say most of this movie was hilarious, even if it lacked in other things. I definitely recommend seeing it, as it will probably be the funniest movie of the year. If you're in the mood to see a very funny, laugh a minute-ride, you should definitely check it out in the theater! But don't get your hopes up for this being better than the first.

Bullock shines in a comedy that lacks laughs

Author: christian123
28 June 2005

Sandra Bullock returns as Gracie Hart, the federal agent who went undercover at the Miss United States pageant four years ago. When the pageant emcee Stan Fields (William Shatner) and Miss USA (Heather Burns) are kidnapped in Las Vegas, Gracie needs to put aside her cushy lifestyle on the talk show circuit to go back into action, taking on a very unhappy new partner in Sam Fuller (Regina King).

Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous isn't as good as the original but it still manages to deliver some funny scenes. The original was a fun, harmless movie though nothing memorable. The sequel falls under the same category but it's not nearly as much fun as the first film. Actually, the fun factor is only seen in Bullock and King everything else was poorly handled. Sure there were some fun moments but certainly not enough to sustain the really long running time. Also, Michael Caine and Benjamin Bratt don't appear in the movie. I miss Caine since he was pretty funny in the first one. I don't really miss Bratt because he's not that good of an actor.

The acting is pretty good and it's the best thing the movie has to offer. Sandra Bullock gives a funny and enjoyable performance as Gracie Hart. Her charm is what carries this sequel and she proves to be a delight on screen. Regina King also gives a funny performance and she's a nice addition to the series. The chemistry between Bullock and King is great and their scenes together is what drives the movie. William Shatner and Heather Burns don't really do anything special. Diedrich Bader gives an annoying performance as Joel. Treat Williams and Enrique Murciano just play their roles as much as the screenplay allows it and they don't really do anything special.

I think the main reason why this sequel isn't as good as the original is because the premise is nearly the same. They could have been a little more creative with the story. Also, the original movie wrapped up nicely and it didn't demand a sequel. So, this movie seems like a cash in on a popular film and little time was actually spent on the script. The running time is 115 minutes and this could have been edited. There were a bunch of pointless scenes and the movie just doesn't contain enough fresh material to keep the film funny or interesting. Also, the film is very predictable and sitting through a long, predictable movie wasn't that much fun. I need to question the point of making a sequel. It seemed like a lazy attempt and the film was only average because of Bullock and King. In the end, this unnecessary sequel isn't really worth watching unless you're a fan of Bullock or King. Rating 5/10

Boring and Dreadful

Author: jsc173 from Cleveland
30 March 2005

The first Miss Congeniality was decent "junk food" entertainment. My 12 year old daughter ranks it as one of her favorite movies.

We saw "MC 2: Armed and Fabulous" last weekend.

The sequel is just "junk". For the $31.00 I spent for my family of four, I felt robbed. Even my daughter made a "prune" face when I asked her if she liked it.

Sandra Bullock was very likable in the first movie. In this one, not so. Very little of the unsophisticated Gracie playing a beauty pageant contestant came through, and that made it a bore.

Last, and maybe most important, the absence of Michael Caine, Candice Bergen and Benjamin Bratt left three big holes that Sandra Bullock just couldn't fill on her own.

Don't waste your money to see it at the theater. If so compelled, rent it when it hits DVD.

Not what I expected

Author: cheeznuts from United States
17 March 2005

I saw this at a special screening and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm not usually a huge fan of sequels, but this for what it is, is incredibly entertaining on its own merit. I love Sandra, so that may be one of the reasons I liked as much as I did, but that being said, the rest of the cast makes this without a doubt one, of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. This will definitely get a vote of must see from me to all. The movie goes quickly at the beginning, and then it slows - but it keeps you interested. Sandra and Regina are so good together. Wardrobe is GREAT! Sandra dressed as the old woman is hilarious and there are many other great costumes as well. The slow parts only help to make this a real movie. I will make this a definite repeat movie.

Yikes! What a bore!

Author: aeo from Beverly Hills, California
1 April 2005

I gave this movie 2 stars out of 10. I would have given it a 1 but I enjoyed the first Miss Congeniality so emotion swayed me to give the movie an extra 1 star.

I had hoped the sequel would be as good or better than the first but it was not. The jokes were stale, the chemistry was non-existent and the story was uninteresting. This movie had none of the charm, story and chemistry as the first movie.

The story begins with our heroine, Sandra Bullock, coming off of the beauty pageant sting and suddenly finding fame. This however, hinders her ability to conduct her job since too many people now recognize her. Since the FBI needs some good publicity, they tap her for the job. She is given a female bodyguard, played by Regina King, whose character is almost the same as Sandra Bullock in the first Miss Congeniality. They go on a publicity junket until a friend of Bullocks is kidnapped and she goes and save the day.

Sanra saves the mess...

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
11 January 2009

"Miss Congeniality" was a very funny and entertaining light romantic comedy that delivered funny moments because of it's creative plot and of course, the sexy-funny performance of the always talented Sandra Bullock. Heck, Sandra delivers one of the best moments in cinematic history when she walks with that tight mini dress in slow motion... God I love women.

But this sequel is a total mess with a clichéd plot, predictable situations, and not so funny characters. The addition of Regina King as a sidekick for Sandra Bullock worked most of the time but it wasn't vital to make the movie work.

The situations are not funny at all and it truly made me think I was watching an episode of ..I don't know, any standard sitcom.

But the best thing about the movie is Sandra Bullock's performance. She's always funny, SEXY, smart. She's the perfect franchise actress that can save the day ANYTIME. Even if the movie is a total crap like this one.

Please only watch it if you are a huge, die hard fan of Sandra Bullock and you can stand trash like this; otherwise, please avoid it.

It's the attack of the bad sequels.

Cute chick flick where you can just sit back and enjoy

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
23 March 2005

Sandra Bullock returns as FBI agent Gracie Hart in the second Miss Congeniality movie. Gracie has become well-known by the public after saving Cheryl Frasier (Heather Burns) at the Miss United States Pageant, where she was working undercover. Gracie is asked to become the face to the FBI, and give a positive face of the FBI by promoting her book on TV. Gracie has become a celebrity and is no longer a real FBI agent. Her friends from the pageant, Cheryl and Stan Fields (William Shatner) are kidnapped in Las Vegas, and Gracie wants to find them. Gracie is ordered by her boss to continue being the face of the FBI, while they find her friends. Gracie can't do that, so she starts her own investigation. Her bodyguard, FBI agent Sam Fuller (Regina King), and Gracie go undercover to find her friends, and the fireworks begin. If you liked the first movie, you will love this one. I think it is even better than the first, and Regina King steals the show with her part. There is much more action and funny scenes. I actually laugh through the entire movie. This is one cute chick flick where you can just sit back and enjoy. (Warner Brothers, Run time 1:55, Rated PG-13) (8/10)

Maybe I was just in a bad mood.

Author: adaringdo from Kentucky
8 May 2005

Maybe I was just in a bad mood, but I didn't laugh one time during the entire movie. Other people did however, so maybe I'm just too old to know great humor.

The problem I had with the movie was its lack of development. One character was angry all the time and I never saw any explanation as to why. I didn't enjoy this person hitting others, attacking and injuring people for no reason. It's not funny. This caricature bothered me through the entire movie.

Secondly the plot really didn't make any sense. When you see it you will understand. The plot was contrived; made as a vehicle to deliver gags and jokes, only.

Thirdly, AND THIS IS SOMETHING GOOD: Near the end there is a moment, just a moment, where a kindness brings home a REALLY WARM AND FUZZY feeling. You will know the moment. For this one moment, the movie is worth the price of a ticket. I just wish they had developed the characters in such a way as to make it a cathartic moment and not just a surprise event.

Bullock's Back

Author: Scaramouche2004 from Coventry, England
27 April 2005

I always enjoy watching a Sandra Bullock film, despite what critics may say about it. Despite a decade and a half in the limelight she is still as fresh and new and as witty and talented as she was when I first noticed her in films like Demolition Man or Speed. Believe me, when we watch Bullock, we are watching not only a movie star, but a movie star who will be remembered long after she she is dead and gone as one of the best.

Miss Congeniality 2, was not what I was expecting at all. The billposters and cover art entice us into believing that the beautiful FBI agent Gracie Hart is once more thrown into the backbiting world of an all new beauty pageant, but this is not the case.

I suppose to recreate the situations of the first movie would have been a mistake anyway, so I was pleasantly surprised at the change and am half glad my first expectations were not realised. It is also interesting to note, that where Miss Congeniality is by all intents and purposes a RomCom, Miss Congeniality 2 is not. There is not even the slightest sniff at a romance, so it is safe to say that this is purely ....Com.

Gracie, due to her televised heroics at the beauty pageant is now too famous for her undercover Field work. Much to her chagrin she is given a new job as the glamorous face of the F.B.I. where she is forced once again to 'doll up' and travel the country in a cavalcade of television shows, book signings and guest appearances, all to promote the bureau in a positive light.

However, when her friend, the newly crowned Miss United States, is kidnapped and held to ransom, Gracie is once again chomping at the bit to draw her gun, kick some ass and break the rules to rescue her.

All this is well and good but when she has a world famous identity, a tough new female partner with anger management issues and the entire F.B.I. hampering her every effort, Gracie realises that the rescue is going to be a lot harder than she had first thought.

This movie is fantastic, and very funny. Bullock once again shows us why she is the best female comedy star in the world, as she goes from one chaotic scene to the next. One scene that stands out in particular is where she dresses up as an old woman with a large overbite, in order to infiltrate an old folks home. Hilarious.

Its true that this film is not on par with the original, but with all honesty most sequels aren't and I was under no delusions that it was going to be, but it is enjoyable and fun all the same.

Only two complaints, No Micheal Caine. He was hilarious in the first movie and would have been a welcome return to this one. The other complaint is William Shatner.

I like William Shatner very much, and his has-been compare character in the original was a joy to watch throughout, but there was no real reason for him to have been in this one at all. Even his lines fail to raise a laugh. He is the only truly redundant character in the movie, but to be fair, bad characterisation and weak dialogue writing is hardly Shatner's fault is it?

On the whole, this is good old fashioned comedy, executed in a way good old fashioned comedy should be made. Another Bullock beauty.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]