IMDb > Scarecrow Gone Wild (2004) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Things I have learned from SGW

Author: DarkYoshi13 from United States
5 January 2006

The things I have learned from this movie are remarkable, things I never would have guessed otherwise. I do warn you though, there are spoilers.

1) Spring Break doesn't consist of many people on a beach, but instead a small group friends...

2) Daylight is a tricky thing and can disappear to night, then dawn, then night again within a period of five minutes.

3) Scarecrows can whistle.

4) Scarecrows can whistle under water.

5) Scarecrows can drive trucks.

6) Boom mikes are not obviously visible while shooting or editing, but very visible when watching the movie.

7) Mirrors don't show your outer appearance, but instead what you are on the inside.

8) Scarecrows are weak against defibrillators.

9) Scarecrows lose track of people very easily on an open beach.

10) A wrestler is no match for the mighty power of a scarecrow.

11) Being lightly slapped can knock you unconscious.

12) Drunk people like terrible guitar solos.

13) When a spear-like object stabs through someone, it sticks through them at a completely different angle.

14) If you are being dragged along a beach, screaming for help, no one will help you, despite there being two people on the same side of the beach as you.(Check the background beach around when the girl finds her dead boyfriend, where could those two people go to in a matter of minutes?)

15) When you spill your innards, they rest neatly on top of your skin.

16) Finally, people don't show any signs of worry when their friends disappear for many hours without explanation.

This movie is very informative, I hope you have learned something from it. So Yeah.

Amazing what you can do ...

Author: darthman1 from earth
5 July 2005

... with a 500$ budget and a bottle of ketchup.

If you are a fan of C movies with no talented actors whatsoever, a ridiculous story, cheap effects and lousy camera-work, this film delivers.

All others be warned. You could probably make a similar movie with a couple of friends in your backyard and a home camcorder.

The film is good for some laughs though. Watch it with some friends and discuss how NOT to make a movie.

2/10 for unintentional comedy.

Why the hell do you have to write 10 lines? I have seen comments with less lines and writing this is just a lame filler.

What's up with all these scarecrow movies?

Author: moviemanic07
2 October 2004

The spirit of a comatose hazing victim inhabits a scarecrow and takes revenge on his tormentors. First question: What's up with all these scarecrow movies? I think I missed the beginning of the trend. Are they all inspired by the opening sequence of 'Jeepers Creepers 2'? Sadly, none of the ones I have pulled down from the shelves of my local Blockbuster have lived up that sequence. This one, however, seemed to start well. The opening sequence, where a young woman is stalked in the cornfield by the scarecrow works reasonably well. It is helped by the fact that the scarecrow is only seen sparingly. When used sparingly, the scarecrow makeup works well, but, as a result of overuse, it begins to look like a cheap mask. It looked as fake as the breasts of the woman who plays the nurse. Gratuitous nudity aside, this film has little to compliment. I was inclined to praise the video photography until I watched the 'making of' documentary that revealed it was shot on film. For video it looked good. For film it sucked. The performances were both overwrought and overripe. Granted, there really wasn't much actors could do with the script. It was stupid. The overheated relationships were never believable. Still, it might've worked on the most visceral level if the film was scary, but it wasn't. One of the things that hurt it was a whistling theme that revealed the presence of the scarecrow. At first I thought the theme existed only on the soundtrack, but later characters in the film started hearing it. I found it funny, and I would start snickering every time I heard it, which effectively undermined all the thrills. This might not be the worst horror film out there, but it does lurk dangerously near the bottom of the barrel.

The perils of the undomesticated scarecrow

Author: Leigh Loveday from UK
9 June 2005

If I'd only known that this was the third in a series when I picked it up, I might have held back until I'd had the chance to study the first two instalments in some depth and subsequently come into Scarecrow Gone Wild fully prepared to appreciate all it had to offer. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson from the whole Kickboxer 4 farce (who is this feckless boy-child? Where's Jean-Claude? Why is Tong Po half his previous size?) - but no. Ah well, not to worry - at the end of the day I can safely say its charms weren't entirely lost on me.

In spite of several dull stretches as the film tries to make the lives of its mouth-breathing teenage sickle-fodder seem deep and involving, SGW is ultimately brimming over with so many top-quality "what the..." moments that it's impossible not to have fun with the damn thing. The Scarecrow drives! The Scarecrow hits the waves! The Scarecrow inexplicably gains the power of electrocution! The Scarecrow's head appears to be made of cast iron when someone clouts him with a fire extinguisher! It's all good stuff. And I'd never even heard of Ken Shamrock before this, but now I think he should be in every film ever made (alongside Christopher Lambert and Steven Seagal).

What's particularly endearing about Scarecrow Gone Wild is that everybody involved plays it as if they've been told it's some kind of intense art-house drama, although we do get the occasional flash of momentary self-awareness (the "watch out for the homicidal scarecrow" line near the end comes to mind). All in all, definitely one to remember, and roll on 10,001 Scarecrows... I think.

Typical B Movie Horror

Author: Eagles409 from Naperville IL
31 October 2004

This is a typical direct to video horror movie, with the exception of Samantha Aisling, the acting is pretty bad (especially Ken Shamrock). I thought Samantha Aisling was very attractive and a pretty good actor, especially considering that according to IMDb this is her only film. Hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more of her in the near future. This isn't a horrible movie, but I don't think anyone renting this should be expecting award winning movie making. If you go realizing it is a low budget horror movie it's pretty good. I thought the special effects were pretty good, the scarecrow looks fairly scary as long as they don't show close-ups of it. When they show close-ups it looks like what it is... I guy in a Halloween mask. One of the things I did like about it was that, in most every horror movie, the monster waits until each person is alone then kills them one by one. The scarecrow actually attacks them as a group, nothing really special, just something different. I liked it, it's good for a minor scares and a couple of laughs. I gave it a 5/10

Watch. Laugh. Cry.

Author: SpansonCrackle24 from Philadelphia
9 September 2005

Wow! Here comes another straight-to-video scarecrow movie to keep the cinematic masochists happy. If the cheap-looking opening credits don't tell you you're in for quite a ride, then the diabolically tragic "writing" sure will.

A diabetic kid gets tied on to a legendary scarecrow as part of his initiation onto the baseball team. Then the scarecrow goes nuts and starts offing people. Need I say more? This movie consists greatly of cheap effects that makes it look like it was edited with iMovie (note that spooky color inversion) and actors who apparently weren't good enough to show up on some late-night Cinemax special. Actually, thats not fair, as the actors didn't have much room to work around the abysmal script. Parts of this movie really seem like parody, especially when one character picks up his guitar and starts playing the worst song ever conceived by humans, with the worst lip-synching ever performed to go along with it. The "gore" here is also a major disappointment. In most B-movies such as this, there is a thick layer of cheap gore FX to make up for what the story and acting lacks. Here, the stuff is so cheap that it's not even fun. This movie actually makes "Jack Frost 2" look like lots of fun in comparison.

If you think this movie is the "worst one you've ever seen" then you probably haven't gotten deep into the world of straight-to-video B-horror. Regardless, this movie will cause you a great deal of mental anguish, no matter what your background.

The perfect make-out movie

Author: jhbrad from United States
9 August 2005

Two words - GAS FREAKIN' CAN TO THE FACE When that kid got laid out I was certain that this was the best movie since Starship Troopers. In all seriousness, this movie should've been called Gas Can Gone Wild. It's a real shame they didn't peg more kids from the inside of their SUV. Imagine if the Scarecrow got 'canned while he was fighting Ken "Ken Shamrock" Shamrock in deadly hand-to-hand UFC combat.

This movie changed my life. I've taken to hazing diabetic kids in cornfields almost weekly since seeing this great film.

The Scarcrow is like Jason, but worse. But like good worse, like when being badder would be better.

I've finally found a movie that I thought was worse than Napoleon Dynamite

Author: WeezeL365 from United States
18 May 2006

My roommate and I have another friend that works at a local Blockbuster Video. He finds truly awful movies for us and tells us about them. One of them was a "Christmas Horror" film starring former professional wrestler Bill Goldberg as a killer Satna Claus. We didn't watch it immediately, but we didn't think there could be anything worse. Apparently, we were wrong. We were shown this slasher film "starring" Ken Shamrock versus a murderous scarecrow. At first we thought Ken would actually BE the killer scarecrow, and that's why we wanted to watch, but he wasn't, and that made the movie even worse. What absolutely RUINED the movie was the teen drama. If you want to save your brain cells from trying to escape from your head, NEVER EVER WATCH THIS MOVIE.

Scarecrow at the beach

Author: Dr. Gore ( from Los Angeles, California
21 June 2004

"Scarecrow Gone Wild". What insane B-movie fan could resist a title like that? I haven't seen the other two Scarecrow movies but when I saw the Scarecrow hanging out by the beach, I knew it was time to party. I envisioned the Scarecrow with a hand-held camera filming topless college girls sunbathing. Then the Scarecrow would hang out with a bunch of frat boys chugging a keg of beer. Chug! Chug! Chug!

Well, "Scarecrow Gone Wild" goes about as wild as a movie with a $500 budget can go. The baseball team decides to do a little hazing on the new kids. This leads to death and Scarecrow rejuvenation. The gang heads to the beach to forget their troubles. It must have been a private beach because there was no one else around for miles. Soon the Scarecrow will bust up the party and get wild on these melodramatic, whining, screaming idiots.

"Scarecrow Gone Wild" has some good points. I counted three naked breast scenes. Those are always good. You can't go wrong with topless women. Never. Impossible. Cheapest, (and best), special effect you can buy. There were also some good death scenes. The guy playing the guitar had a hilarious death as did the woman who came between the Scarecrow and his pick-up truck.

But the movie started to drag me down with its nonstop drama. Hints, accusations, betrayal, lies, regret. These are all emotions that shouldn't be anywhere near a maniacal Scarecrow movie. The Scarecrow should have been partying down more instead of listening to these guys yell and scream at each other. A surfing Scarecrow scene would have been nice. How about a scene with the Scarecrow doing some body shots off of one of the topless chicks? Oh yeah. What a party it could have been.

"Scarecrow Gone Wild" needed a little more wild and a little less drama. It was still a good B-movie. I enjoyed myself.

A hilariously ridiculous cheesy hoot

Author: Woodyanders ( from The Last New Jersey Drive-In on the Left
21 June 2007

A bunch of sadistic college frat jerks tie fragile diabetic Sam (scrawny Caleb Roehrig) to a cross in a corn field. Sam nearly dies and subsequently resurrects a lethal evil scarecrow (hulking Steve Worley) who proceeds to brutally butcher a handful of party hearty kids frolicking on the beach during spring break. It's up to token nice guy Jack (affable Matthew Linhart) and his sweet girlfriend Beth (luscious Samantha Aisling) to stop the scarecrow before it's too late. Writer/director Brian Katlin concocts one uproariously ludicrous excuse for a horror flick: we've got crummy acting from a lame no-name cast (Ken Shamrock is especially terrible as ramrod Coach Ramsey), a roaring soundtrack of silly rock songs, a few dumb false scares, largely obnoxious and unlikable characters, glaring day-for-night continuity errors aplenty, one dude belts out a horrendous acoustic ballad around a campfire, a protracted volleyball game, a handy helping of tasty gore (an impalement on a bamboo pole rates as the definite gruesome highlight), and a ham-fisted ending that tries for tragic pathos (!). The scarecrow makes for a truly laughable monster: he lumbers about in broad daylight, whistles off-key, and even runs over a hapless lass with a pick-up truck. Zoran Popovic's bright, sunny, shaky cinematography, Collin Simon's generic ooga-booga spooky score, and several hot chicks in skimpy bikinis further enhance the campy fun. As an added bonus, both busty blonde Lisa Robert and cute brunette Tara Platt bare their breasts. An enjoyably tacky kitsch hoot.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]