IMDb > I Want to Marry Ryan Banks (2004) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

I Want to Marry Ryan Banks (TV) More at IMDbPro »

better than i expected

Author: thrillcats from new york
24 January 2004

Caught this movie on a cold, boring, Saturday night- and it hit the spot. Bradley Cooper, from Alias, caught my eye at first, and I actually got thru the whole movie- and was surprised at the end.

What was the most interesting is a behind the scenes look at a reality tv show, like the Bachelor. I think this movie could have been so much more, if it was alittle more realistic- like wouldn't the lead characters have cameras following them everywhere? regardless, I liked the love story and saw a true connection between Emma and Bradley. Perfect movie to watch, on cable, for free, when there isn't a baseball game on.

The Sweetest film!

Author: novella221 from West Midlands, England
30 July 2005

This film was the sweetest and most easy watching film i've ever seen. I don't think it's a guy film but all those girlie's out there should get watching. The film was a lot better than I anticipated. It started a bit naff, especially when I saw Jason Priestly with long hair and pretending to be no more than 18 years old, when he is clearly in his thirties. But trust me it did get better.

Here in the UK the film is called 'The Reality of Love' but 'I Want to Marry Ryan Banks'is an equally good title, as the film is based around the show of that name-let me explain........

Ryan Banks is famous actor who's career is ready to be written off. Something drastic needs to be done. So loyal friend Todd, and agent to Ryan, thinks of a new reality TV series (I Want to Marry Ryan Banks) where Ryan lives in a house with 15 women, whom he must interact with and share dinner with etc. Every week America votes out those women they don't feel Ryan is bonding with well. The finalist is the one American viewers choose for Ryan to marry. Being a 'ladies man' or should I say, 'womaniser', Ryan isn't really into settling down, but the thought of getting his career back on track and also staying in a house with 15 women, it can only make him the happiest guy.

A certain young lady, named Charlie, catches the eye of Ryan throughout the film but she bonds well with Todd, Ryans agent who works closely with the girls when filming the show.This is where the complications begin because Charlie happens to be Americas favourite to win and marry Ryan Banks much against her wishes with the alternative being to face a million dollar lawsuit. Like all cheesy TV films, there is a happy ending.

This film is predictable but enjoyable. There are a few funny moments which can only make it the sweetest film I have watched recently. It's a film only fit for TV but is still watchable and cute!

Definitely watchable - and likable!

Author: ScREweD_RIdeR
26 November 2004

I'm a sucker for romantic comedies so evidently, watching this movie (known under "The Reality of Love"), i couldn't help but like it. It is definitely typical in a sense, more or less predictable - the movie does manage to pull in a twist or two. The amusing thing about this is perhaps the somewhat "realistic" look at reality TV that the movie gives... Really gives you an inside on how "real" these shows are...

Emma Caulfield here is very sweet and natural, very different from her Buffy days. Her character, Charlie, is stereotypically the perfect girl that eventually attracts Bradley Cooper's character... Both actors I thought had some chemistry - perhaps not explosive in the sense but on-screen, these two looked like they had known each other for a long time.

Jason Priestly, I suppose didn't have to stretch too far to play Ryan Banks - its an almost autobiographical mirror self of his old days in BH90210, which I must say is a long long time ago. He has definitely shed the good looking image he once had - I had trouble liking him in the movie, not only because of his egotistical character but for him to supposedly be HOT, i just didn't buy the act.

Overall, I did love the movie - it's really just a sweet TV film, simple, predictable but devilishly charming.

Really Cute!

Author: shimmermystic from New Hampshire
24 January 2004

I watched this movie not expecting much but I actually really liked it. I thought it was interesting watching how reality shows were made and the fact that they used different aspects from different reality shows. The romance between the producer and Charlie was really nice and the ending was sweet. It was done very well and not how you would expect. This is a definite "girly" movie but very cute to watch if you're in the mood for a light-hearted romantic comedy!

What a fun movie! So much better than I expected.

Author: Becky from Fairfax, VA
24 January 2004

I just finished watching it and was very entertained. It was so fun. We set TIVO to record it last week and were bored tonight to watch it tonight; I'm so glad I did! Only a few things could be changed (editing, cinematography, lighting) and it could be in the theaters.

I absolutely loved the fact that the host made snide remarks to the "Losers". That was great!

Gotta Love I Want to Marry Ryan Banks

Author: lovinthishow from United States
25 February 2006

Its incredibly predictable, the acting is that great, the plot is simple, but who can resist a fun romantic comedy-especially one where the underdog gets the girl! I loved Bradley Cooper in Alias and he does a great job in this movie. I also love how they make fun of the reality dating show on the film. In fact one of the contestants on I Want to Marry Ryan Bank is in fact one of the contestants that was snubbed on the Bachelor. Gotta love that Is this film going to be a romantic comedy classic? No. But every time i see it on Fox Family I can't resist watching it. Its a feel good movie that can't help make the viewer smile

Much better than I thought

Author: freak_poet
18 January 2004

I started watching the movie, expecting it to be just another waste of two hours; but it was much better than I ever thought it would be. The ending was so sweet! and the actors/actresses were very good. I loved it.

Romantic comedy with a message!

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
17 February 2014

I was surprised! I bought my wife I Want to Marry Ryan Banks and I thought another mindless comedy! Not painful to watch at all. In fact, I Want to Marry Ryan Banks is a romantic comedy with a message which empowers women. The movie is about two characters Ryan Banks (Jason Priestley) who has a low view of women which is a junior high objectification of women. Bradley Cooper is the movie's moral conscious who looks for a woman with depth. A woman with: Emotional/intellectual, intelligence, who cares, can have a conversation with, not self absorbed, and can do a crossword puzzle. Ryan Banks has ruined his p r reputation aka with women, and needs his agent(Cooper) to fix the problem. Cooper comes out with the idea of a reality show I Want to Marry Ryan Banks. The back drop of the show is comical with the stupidity of reality T V and the phony too cool Hollywood scene. What throws a wrench into the reality show concept is Charlie a contestant. Charlie is a woman with depth, and Banks phony persona is seen through. Aka Cooper needs to help Banks, and in the process the series creates a real relationship. There is a surprise ending where the viewer finds more depth to Banks than first thought. Great plot twists, with a strong story. A movie with a message 7 stars.

The reality is, this film was re-released in honor of Cooper's soaring career but romcom fans say thank you

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
19 October 2013

Longtime friends Ryan Banks (Jason Priestly) and Todd Doherty (Bradley Cooper) are resorting to rather desperate measures. You see, Ryan was once a major film star and Todd has been his equally successful agent. Ryan was Todd's first client, a job that resulted from Ryan needing an agent, fast, when he was approached by a producer at a casual party. But, alas, show biz is always on to the next big thing and Ryan is in a slump. Therefore, in order to save BOTH their jobs, Todd tells his firm that he has a plan to boost Ryan's profile and have future jobs come pouring in. What is it? Well, there is going to be a new reality television show launched called I Want to Marry Ryan Banks. A dedicated bachelor, Ryan will finally find the woman of his dreams among ten beautiful finalists, like The Bachelor. It will end with Ryan on one knee, ring box in hand. The agency likes it. Meanwhile, a struggling book store owner/barmaid, Charlie (Emma Caufield) has had trouble in the romance department, too, despite being very pretty. To remedy this, her sister and brother in law sign her up for a tryout on the Ryan show, without her knowledge. After some reluctance, she agrees to do it. Wouldn't you know, Charlie ends up being one of the finalists! But, uh oh! This book seller actually spends more time with Todd and likes what she sees. Also, unknown to her, Todd, the smarter one, actually feeds conversation bits to Ryan, via earphones, so that she is unwittingly falling for lines Todd invents, not Ryan. What a merry mix-up might be brewing! Yes, ladies, here is your chance to see Cooper, before he was more famous, in a sweet, nice romcom. Priestly, natch, was the bigger star at the time, having been on 90210. He was and is handsome and talented, giving a charming turn here, too. As for Caufield, she is quite lovely and has the added bonus of coming off as bright and chipper. No, this reviewer won't reveal the ending, but with such great looking stars and fine costumes, sets, and lines, what's not to love romance fans? Reality says take the time to find it for a near future showing.

predictable but funny movie

Author: frankenberry from United States
19 July 2005

Jason's delivery in performance is great and funny. He has a great comedic performance. Emma turns in a funny performance as well. She is cast again with her 90210 alumni buddy. They were great then as a comedic team. They are great again in this movie. Although you may see what's coming with story line, it's still entertaining enough to stick it out to the end. Thanks to the teaming of Jason Priestly and Emma Caulfield this movie is great fun. The actor playing the agent is adorable in personality and looks. His chemistry with Emma is just as good with Emma. His chemistry with Jason is right on as well. Believable as old buddies and work partners.