IMDb > "Sell This House" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Sell This House" More at IMDbPro »

One of the few reality shows worth watching because...

Author: MarieGabrielle from United States
21 July 2006

It is honest and practical, especially if you need to prepare a house for the real estate market.

I actually think most reality TV is trash, because it is about degrading people, humiliating people, and has no redeeming values.

"Sell This House" is the opposite. While sometimes potential buyers may be overly critical, keep in mind that home buyers today are indeed very picky, so it helps to watch a show like this, and learn something useful. (Unlike "The Apprentice") or other staged bits of narcissism we see on TV today.

Tanya Memme and Roger Hazard have a nice chemistry, and good sense of humor as they help people clear out their houses, paint, de-clutter, and get top dollar for their property.

This show is helpful for the audience, and is not your typical "trash for cash" reality TV. Highly recommended. 10/10.

You've got to love Tanya!

Author: Robert W. Anderson (bayareabob@mac.com) from United States
23 May 2006

I have this show set up on my DVR to make sure I catch all the shows. Tanya is the key to the shows appeal. While she is unbelievably attractive, she's also a very down to earth beauty who seems to really enjoy working on the houses featured on this show. She really gets involved in the work and her input through out the project really make the show a lot of fun. Tanya and her designer co-host Roger spend very small sums of money helping people who have been trying to sell their houses for reasons that aren't cleat to them. Roger and Tanya play hidden camera's around the house and collect people's opinions and use these to help plan what they have to do to the house. One of the amazing things we learn about people who look at houses is they look at almost everything in the houses but the house itself. That part can be very annoying. I find myself yelling at the screen your not buying the couch you idiot. Roger calls the shots on what needs to be done to house to make people see the house not the furnishings. He's very good at what he does They use a day and a half and usually spend less then $500 and frequently get the home owner an offer before the end of the show. This is a very clever idea for a home improvement type show, and really is an eye opener to any who might be selling a house in the future. Keep up the good work TANYA!

A good show with annoying house shoppers...

Author: Voivod666 from Florida
11 June 2005

OK, I'm a guy and one of the main reason I watch this show is Tanya Memme who is absolutely stunning. But aside from that the show is full of good ideas not to sell your own home but even just to make your house look a little better. As mentioned in another users comments the one drawback are the house shoppers caught on their hidden cameras. I don't know if they're hired plants or if they specifically go looking for anal people who like to complain a lot (A LOT!) They bitch about things that are so irrelevant you almost have to believe they're scripted. Why bother putting down other people's furnishings? You're going to be bringing your OWN in, aren't you? And the tiniest, pickiest details, I just saw one man while looking at a $500,000 house complaining that the DOORKNOBS in ONE room were outdated... outdated doorknobs?! Do doorknobs even get outdated? Come on, you're spending half a million dollars for a house, what's $50 - $100 for new knobs for goodness sake. But as long as Tanya Memme graces the screen with her adorable face, I'll be watching the show :)

Good ideas and common sense

Author: coco-121 from United States
23 June 2007

I agree that the potential buyers (?) are terribly shallow (as are the guys who watch the show just to see Tanya), but the point that the show's producers are trying to make is that people buy with their emotions. I just bought a new house, after looking at several dozen, and first impressions make a big impact. If I walked into a house that was dark, in disrepair, cluttered and dirty, I rarely wanted to look any further. If I got a creepy feeling upon entering the house, that feeling usually intensified as the tour continued. Clean floors and walls, open space and light all made a good impression. I don't always agree with some of the colors Roger picks, but I cannot deny that the rooms look much more appealing after he does his work. Tanya's contribution as eye candy for the fellas apparently works. The value of the show is what you learn about playing your audience when selling your home. People don't want to see YOUR things; they want to imagine themselves living in the house. Roger makes that happen by getting rid of distractions and showcasing the selling points. He's got a gift.

Better then some other shows of the same genre.

Author: tsmith417 from United States
8 November 2008

I agree that the people who come to the open house concentrate too much on the furnishings and not on the home's structure, but I have a theory about that.

This is, after all, a show about designing, not how to re-roof a house and update electrical systems. I have a feeling that the people coming into the house are not real buyers anyway, that the producers pull people off the street and say, "How would you like to help us with this TV show? We'd like you to go inside and tell us how much you hate the color on the walls and how ugly the couch and bedspread are and how dirty the bathroom is. Don't mention anything about how the floorplan doesn't work or that the foundation is crumbling or how the house is located in a bad neighborhood or that it's overpriced and that's why it isn't selling. And oh yeah, we need you to come back in a couple of days and tell us how much better it looks." The good part of the show is that Roger makes mostly easy, inexpensive cosmetic changes, painting, hanging new curtains, and moving furniture around, and doesn't go into all kinds of major reconstruction the way HGTV's "Designed to Sell" does.

The bad part is that, as I said, the people coming in are not real buyers and then they have the same people come back again; I would prefer to have different people make the tour the second time around.

Overall it's not a bad show. If you're going to be selling your house soon, you can pick up a few good pointers that anyone can do without spending tons o' bucks. Even if you're not selling your home you can get some easy design ideas to spruce up your own abode.

Love the show and Tanya ... can't stand Roger!

Author: evyw64 from Virginia, USA
13 February 2014

I love watching this show despite the inane comments by looky-loos (they aren't buying the furniture, for goodness sake! Although I do understand that first impressions matter and they see the furniture first) and Roger Hazard. He's so lazy! He has Tanya do everything while he leaves! When he does have to do some work, he gets testy with Tanya! What a jerk! I'm glad he's gone, but the new show, Buy This House Extreme, isn't helpful for people like me that aren't going to make big renovations to their house; we just want design ideas. And I can't tell you how stupid I thought the show was the boxes set up as furniture was! If you don't have much money, go to Goodwill or Salvation Army or Craigslist and get a slipcover or paint the furniture! Jeez.

Love the show and Tanya ... can't stand Roger!

Author: evyw64 from Virginia, USA
13 February 2014

For Real???

Author: Red Queen from United States
18 July 2013

I've learned a few good tips from this show. I love the low budgets of the featured projects. Not many selling secrets are spelled out, but the designer Roger Hazard is phenomenal at interior flipping. Cheap!

I was however, Googling info on the potential buyer hidden camera comments, because they revel in ripping on every detail of the home owners' decor in a most insulting way. And since they never look at the architecture - only the homeowner's decor - they have to be instructed to ridicule interiors. And then to praise Roger's re-arrangements on the after viewings too.

So I'd rather just get instruction videos from the designer, with more how-to tips spelled out rather than just showing off without divulging the secrets.

Sell This House is Worth Watching. Here's why:

Author: Chief Zebra from Canada
16 January 2010

This is an interesting show. First, we have all seen 'blah' homes that hold no interest to visitors...or for that matter, buyers. Plus we all have rooms in our house that need paint...but you have no idea what colour to paint it. This show will help you with this sort of problem

Also it introduces home owners to the problem of home buyers. If they see a huge closet, they don't think "Great that's a big closet." If the big closet is filled with stuff, they think "there's not enough closet space".

Roger Hazard is a good designer, despite his disturbing penchant for giant phallic table centrepieces, a clearly obsessive trait. The host of the show is Tanya Memme, also known as Her Extreme Hotness. She seems to be one of the few hosts of these shows that actually rolls up her sleeves and does something, like paint and clean. Mosts hosts are just talking heads that don't talk particularly well. Also I enjoy the fact that the show is refreshingly free of the disturbing presence of lions. The show will give you ideas for use of colour in your home that look great,colours used in a way you may not have thought of on your own. That's the best part of the show. Ugly or blah places are transformed.

Also important is that is introduces the problem of 'crazy buyers'. Buyers should look for tell-tale structural faults (like cracks in the corners where walls and ceilings meet). Instead they walk into a normal- sized living room with HUGE furniture and say 'gosh there's not a lot of room in here'. Home Buyers are insane, and you have to take that into account when you are trying to sell your home.

One problem: the show does all this work on this house in ORDER TO SELL IT. But too often they end the show by saying "The owners are expecting an offer any day now". I think they need to do some follow-up instead, and say 'this home sold 4 weeks after our work!'

Sell my house!!

Author: terekb from United States
24 February 2007

I love to watch your show. You have such wonderful ideas, and we have tried them while trying to sell our house. However we have been unsuccessful in selling our house in a small town in Wisconsin. We would like to invite you and your show to come out and tell us how we can stage our house to sell it. We would work very hard at painting or whatever else you would suggest. Your show has done such wonderful things with very unique houses, and I think our house definitely fits under the title of unique. The bi-level house has a "rock wall" going down to the second level. However the kitchen has a great view of the yard and the sliding doors lead you out to a great deck!!