IMDb > Missing in America (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Missing in America

Missing in America More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Continuing the idiotic saga of crazy Vietnam vets

Author: okieindian from United States
12 January 2006

Another disgraceful misrepresentation of Vietnam Vets, put together by a woman producer (male writer must be a real weirdo as well) who gives away her "position" by stating that the vets were MURDERING children. More of the Baby Killer crap. Don't know who's fantasy (the writer or the producer or Mr Glover) was fulfilled by having Linda Hamilton fall in love love with the elderly black crazy Vietnam Vet after peeking at him bathing nude, outdoors in the moonlight. The movie is a slap in the face to every honorable veteran who served in Vietnam, and a crutch for every whining nutcase who wants to blame Vietnam for his shortcomings. There might be a few hundred idiots living as shown here, but insults the millions of Vietnam vets who are living decent and productive lives. The movie had an opportunity to be a great one, good lines, good plot, good acting, but those who put it together used it as a vehicle for their weird political views and lost the story. As a Vietnam Vet I will be sure to tell all my friends about it and my report to them will be "It sucks"...

Fatally Flawed Movie

Author: school_account from London
18 November 2008

First of all I can't believe people have given glowing reviews of this movie. Some say it's the best movie they have ever seen. All I can say to this is that they don't' get out much! A movie must be made by certain rules for example:

1.) It must be believable: (This is probably the most important rule for a serious drama such as this - you don't need to keep this rule for a comedy). This movie is far from believable the reasons for this I will reveal later.

2.) Character development: In this movie the characters are quite well developed for a bad film such as this and is probably only the second good element to the film.

3.)Acting : The acting was actually good, especially from the amazing Danny Glover. He could read the phone book and make it sound interesting. Also from the underrated Linda Hamilton.

4.) Pace: The movie starts well enough but does not change pace or build any tension of any kind. Leading you to believe that it's actually a feel good movie not a sad pathetic effort such as this.

5.)Structure: Good beginning poor middle terrible ending. The structure is one of the worst elements to this movie. It devotes too much time to the wrong story elements and leaves nothing for a proper rounded and satisfying film. This movie could be used as an example how NOT to make a film.

6.)Basic Story for script: The idea of Vietnam veterans hiding away in a wilderness is probably true. Nursing their wounds etc.. but the way that the story is written, there is no hope in the lives of the people, or any possibility of a well rounded story to develop. Consequently the script is just awful. IE. a.) Her seeing Danny Glover naked but no later development of this element to the story. then... b.) Embarrassing double entendre in store; With Danny Glover offering Linda Hamilton money for wine he'd taken earlier, asking her "how much will it cost, I'm not sure of the price anymore" and her thinking it was for sex, just because she's seen him naked. Which he didn't know about BTW. They've obviously known each other for years, so this story element is ridiculous. It's like they just met. c.) The little girl dying at the end of the movie is the silliest ending I think I've ever seen in a film. absolutely no point to this at all (except to make Danny Glover's character even more depressed than he already was.) and to remove any doubt that this was a "feel good movie". d.) No explanation of what happened to Ron Perlmans character after he was wounded. Strange this, has he was supposed to be one of the main stars of the film. The flaws in the story go on and on but IMDb doesn't allow more than a 1000 words so I'll stop there for now pointing out the bad story elements.

The story should have Danny Glover getting together with Linda Hamilton. Possible romance etc.. even though they've known each other for a long time, but as the writer has disregarded all the other rules, a bit of proper entertainment wouldn't have gone amiss. The little girl who strangely dies, should have actually coaxed Ron Perlmans character out of his shell and lead him back to an ordinary existence. That seemed to be the way the story was going until everything went pear shaped. As if the writer lost the will to live or something. It would also have been nice to see Linda Hamilton share some scenes with Ron Perlman for obvious reasons to anybody who is a TV fan. (That's why I bought the DVD in the first place, not to be assaulted with this garbage movie.)

In conclusion this movie is a VERY flawed exercise and seems like it was made and written by students instead of experienced pro's. Other reviewers have said this movie is gut wrenching . Hardly; it is so badly made that is just comes across as completely pointless. I could go on but this film doesn't deserve the attention. I give it 2 out of 10 only because of the good acting.

Terrible Movie

Author: fs0002 from United States
7 September 2006

The ending where the little girl died was terrible. The movie builds you up to really like the characters, then lets you down by killing one of the main players. I spent $29 for the DVD and promptly threw it in the garbage can,whereas the writers and producers should have done this in the first place. What really bothers me is when the crazy-man tries to kill the little girl, then when she is saved by Jake, she decides to go for a walk just where this crazy man lives. When she trips the wire that would have killed her, crazy-man saves her life, which is good; you feel good that she was saved, then 2 minutes later she runs into another trap that promptly kills her. Why what is the point of the whole movie?

Sugary Sweetness

Author: basso-7
5 July 2006

Considering the often harsh votes on movies here on IMDb, I was looking forward to this unknown movie scoring a 6.6. After watching it, though, it's completely beyond me how this movie ever got that rating. It lacks pretty much any kind of involving story-arc, seemingly patching a series of rather unrelated events together. Despite the seasoned cast, acting is wooden and dialog contrived. The girl in the lead role is just too old to get away with her part, though the layers of make-up probably didn't help her any.

As mentioned, the story lacks real surprises. Despite dealing with the serious subject of Vietnam veterans, it is just too sweet to be credible. This movie could go straight to Hallmark Channel and never be noticed.

Dealing with Viet Nam vets who seem to be lost in America.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
15 March 2006

Playing somewhat on the expression MIA -- missing in action -- this story is about those veterans of Viet Nam who never recovered from the experience and are now missing but living in America nonetheless. This really is Jake's (Danny Glover) story and his road to putting the past behind him and facing today, every day.

Out of the blue an old Army buddy Henry (David Strathairn) drops in on Jake in the woods of the Pacific Northwest, where Jake lives in a small cabin, kept company only by is cat (Katt), his dog (Dawgg), and his chickens (ladies). The bigger surprise is that Henry brought along a young daughter Lenny whose Vietnamese mother, Henry's wife, had already died. And, Henry with lung cancer from agent orange days, needed someone to look after little Lenny. NO WAY was Jake going to accept that.

The story treats an important subject, and I really wanted this to be a superb movie. I only think it is average, at best. The movie didn't have a good 'flow' to the story, and the dialog often felt unnatural for the characters and their situations. Instead of getting immersed into the story, I was constantly reminded that I was watching performances in a movie. Then, the ending seemed a bit artificial and mandatory. Just not a very good job writing, followed with a not very good job directing.

SPOILERS. Dying, Henry disappeared, leaving Lenny with Jake. The friction between the grizzled Army man and the little girl gradually faded, but tragedy struck when Lenny accidentally tripped a booby trap set by one crazed veteran living nearby, and the explosion killed her. The movie ends with Jake at the memorial wall in D.C., a place he said he would never go, but was necessary for his personal healing.

Good story, mediocre telling of it.

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]