IMDb > Missing in America (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Touching, excellent film!

Author: sweetness_kt from United States
12 December 2005

I recently saw this film at the Monaco International Film Festival and I was overwhelmed. (the film won Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Emerging Actress at the festival.) It earned all of the awards. What an excellent film! The acting is superb. The reaction at the film festival was incredible.

Gabrielle Savage Dockterman is a brilliant director. Danny Glover's performance was touching and genuine. Linda Hamilton, David Strathairn and Zoe Weizenbaum were truly excellent. This would be excellent as a big studio film, and as an independent film it is just as impressive.

I am impressed that this film took a real stand on violence and collateral damage of war. Everyone should see this film!

Great Performances in an Amazing film..

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
3 November 2015

Both Danny Glover and Zoe do a really great job in this film the same goes for Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton. It's so moving and so sad as a film but also funny it's about Vietnam and how damaged a war can make you but sometimes friendship and love is what you need. I'm glad that this film has a 71% on Rotten Tomatoes because it deserves it but the 6.6 here on IMDb is stupid this film deserves at least an 8 it's so great and the characters are really well written the direction and the script are great. The little girl steals the show alongside Danny she thinks that everything and everyone can be good and she is right. Go watch this film now or better just go buy it i promise you you won't be disappointed.

Zoe Weizenbaum

Author: jpmcdunn-621-245368 from Chicago
4 July 2014

Ms. Weizenbaum is absolutely charming in this movie. With movie icons like Danny Glover, Linda Hamilton, Ron Perlman and David Strathairn, that is no easy fête, but Zoe steals that show. I have to write ten lines but I don't want to be pedantic , so I have to may the program think I wrote more. Ms. Weizenbaum is absolutely charming in this movie. With movie icons like Danny Glover, Linda Hamilton, Ron Perlman and David Strathairn, that is no easy fête, but Zoe steals that show. I have to write ten lines but I don't want to be pedantic , so I have to may the program think I wrote more. Ms. Weizenbaum is absolutely charming in this movie. With movie icons like Danny Glover, Linda Hamilton, Ron Perlman and David Strathairn, that is no easy fête, but Zoe steals that show. I have to write ten lines but I don't want to be pedantic , so I have to may the program think I wrote more. Ms. Weizenbaum is absolutely charming in this movie. With movie icons like Danny Glover, Linda Hamilton, Ron Perlman and David Strathairn, that is no easy fête, but Zoe steals that show. I have to write ten lines but I don't want to be pedantic , so I have to may the program think I wrote more.

Not great, but...

Author: Wuchak from Ohio/PA border
20 August 2013

...it reveals what became of some Vietnam vets after they came home. It's also somewhat moving and definitely memorable.

Released in 2005, "Missing in America" tells the story of a haunted Vietnam vet, Jake Neeley (Danny Glover), who lives in exile in the forests of the Great Northwest. He has a decent cabin-like abode but there are other vets in the area who are more mentally disturbed and live in primitive conditions (Ron Perlman). A vet buddy (David Strathairn) stops by and leaves a "present", his pre-teen Amerasian daughter (Zoe Weizenbaum). Jake objects, but has no choice but to accept the situation. Meanwhile, a local store-owner (Linda Hamilton) takes interest in Jake and his unwanted "daughter".

The story's realistic and moderately interesting, but one part will tick most viewers off, like it did me. Regardless, the film made me read-up on vets who to-all-intents-and-purposes are "missing in America," like Perlman's character, etc., and I was shocked to discover that this is based on real life.

I found myself thinking about aspects of the film days (and months) later. The movie is very successful in this regard.

What a huge mistake the Vietnam war was for America -- hundreds of thousands of lives negatively affected -- the dead, maimed, scarred, haunted and grieving.

Thankfully, something good can come forth despite the bad.

The film runs 102 minutes and was shot in the Vancouver area, with some scenes at the Vietnam Memorial in D.C.

GRADE: B-

Oh, my stars, this was poignant

Author: dogshowaddict from United States
9 October 2006

I haven't even sniffled at a movie in an awfully long time, but I bawled during Missing in America. twice I'm looking forward to checking with my comrades at my American Legion post. Maybe we ought to get together for a showing. Indeed, I'm not a combat vet, but am a disabled vet of the navy. Having spent a lot of time, dating back to the early 80s, in VA hospitals, I can't state that I completely understand what these men have gone through in the ensuing decades, but I've probably seen it a lot more closely than many middle-aged women. The movie BEAUTIFULLY portrayed the variety of modes of emotional survival that might evolve among America's proud service men and women of the Viet Nam war.

A Moving Story

Author: oldgrumny1 from United States
8 May 2006

Being a Viet Nam veteran myself I can relate to this movie. There is so much told in this movie and how there are so many veterans still carrying the scars of Viet Nam. The acting by Danny Glover was exceptional. This was a great movie very similar to "An Unfinished Life" were these kinds of movies provide a powerful moral message. It is a shame that our population do not find that these types of movies are entertaining. A good family movie for all to watch. This movie also provides another very powerful message and one that is ignored by our government. When our veterans returned from Viet Nam our government assumed that they would just adjust and blend back into society. This was not the case as shown in this movie. The same applies today with our sons and daughters returning from Iraq. Danny Glover is a very good actor and supported by Linda Hamilton made the movie stronger. The young girl really tugged at the heartstrings.

Reactions and responses of our military shown in this film.

Author: saneeley from United States
19 February 2006

I would like to find out if my husband, who is also a Vietnam vet, is related to Jake Neeley. His name is James Neeley, born in 1943.

The movie was superb. It was heart-warming and heart-wrenching at the same time. I would be totally surprised if this film did not win some kind of award. The story line was superb and the actors really did a great job of making the movie so real!! Many people have not experienced or even seen this side of life.

My husband has had similar experiences as a result of the Vietnam war, having three tours there in the U. S. Navy. He was amphibious, sea and land. The things these soldiers had to go through were just unbelievable. This film portrays some of the mental and emotional reactions and responses of the military men and women to the heart-wrenching problems they experienced in the war. This also exhibits PTSD, (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

Many of these situations still exist in our military men and women. They've paid a great price for the freedom that we experience today. No matter how imperfect America is, it's still the greatest nation on earth.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on this spectacular film.

Pretty far from being a good movie

Author: kevin-477 from Herne Bay, Kent, England
16 February 2008

Given the cast and the type of story being told, I had high hopes for this movie. Within about 10 minutes, however, I was beginning to realise I'd been sold a pup. The main fault lies with the writing. The characters just aren't developed well enough to be even remotely believable, and what psychology they have is all wrong. Danny Glover's character, for instance, is a Vietnam vet who's taken himself off to the backwoods and turned his back on society. The only real face-to-face contact he has with another human comes once a month at the grocery store - and that's hardly a memorable or happy communion. But then, within a few short scenes, he's reconciled to this difficult child of an army pal he hasn't seen for decades. The child has lost her father - the emotional centre of her life at that point - but doesn't seem to suffer much in the way of grief (unless you call a few nights of tears grief). There was a great movie to be made here. Unfortunately, due to the bad writing, that movie didn't materialise. I disagree with critics who say it was badly acted. The actors did their level best with the script they were given. You can only be as good as the material you have to work with.

How to turn an excellent drama in cheesy crap

Author: Ismaninb from Suriname
9 September 2007

Missing in America should be compared with European drama; I am thinking of titles like La Dentelliere and Una Giornata Particolara. The similarities are striking, though the stories are very different. Movies like these focus on character, relations and yes, they manipulate the spectator. There is nothing wrong with that.

The secret is in the dosing. Alas the end of Missing in America is an overdose. Like others have noted, the death of Lennie was not necessary. The two subsequent scenes, especially Katie's instant healing, were absolutely not trustworthy. As a result the scene at the memorial wall s***s.

Docketerman is a talented director, no doubt about it. She has the talent to get the best from her actors. Every role, not matter how small, looked like or was (essentially the same) like played by a top actor. The way she used the flashback scene reminded me of For a few dollars more; the effect was the same, though in a completely different setting. Also Docketerman made a very good use of the beautiful landscape - again the influence of Leone? She succeeded in giving the veterans a credible background. I am sorry for okieindian, but the hundreds of hurt veterans are more interesting for a drama than the millions of normal ones. These don't need comrades like Jake. It is nonsense to state, that this story is an insult; it is not about them. Neither is Missing in America a political movie like that Oliver Stone/Tom Cruise one; it is a drama of individuals.

I strongly recommend Docketerman to study the titles above; another suggestion is the melodrama part of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Blondie comforting the soldier). She also must learn, that in such situations absolute silence works better than wining hobo music. It is a strong tendency in American movies to "support" emotional scenes with pseudo-emotional music. The result is always predictability and distraction. I sincerely hope that she, like all the greats, analyzes the flaws of Missing in America.

It is a pity, that Docketerman spoiled a potential masterpiece. She has a great future though.

Good intentions, bad melodrama

Author: t_deleon from Boston, MA
14 April 2006

While Missing in America is brimming with "good intentions", i.e. the tale of wounded Vietnam vets, it suffers from horrible and pedestrian script and heavy handed directing. Sure, Danny Glover is wonderful, and David Strathairn stellar in the small appearance, and Zoe Weizenbaum engaging, and Lind Hamilton still good .. but the story is so "hokey" that in many instances we are overcome by uncontrollable guffaws...

Too bad, because it could have been an endearing story, but it's amateur city...the worst of the lot is when - out of nowhere - Linda Hamilton shows up at Donny Glover's doorstep and happens to see him take a "sponge bath" and then she is aroused by his manhood -- and then Glover shows up at her general store and launches a tirade of double-entendre about - mistakenly - action... that are, frankly embarrassing...

The writers should have been retired to greener pastures...

Ergo -- 3 at best...