IMDb > Missing in America (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Touching, effective film

Author: otac-1 from United States
31 July 2005

I saw Missing in America at the Woods Hole Film Festival this past weekend. Danny Glover gives his finest dramatic performance ever in this role. Zoe Weizenbaum gives an outstanding premiere performance, standing up well to Glover and evidencing a lot of natural ability. The rest of the cast blends well. The location is beautiful, shot in British Columbia...The film is especially poignant, reminding us of the trauma that the Vietnam War inflicted on its participants and raising questions about what might be coming as soldiers return from places like Afghanistan and Iraq.

I hope this film makes a theatrical release...I think a lot of people would like to see it.

Terrific.

Outstanding efforts by all involved!

Author: flatcat-1 from United States
9 October 2005

I watched Missing In America at the screening in Bozeman, Montana. What a terrific movie! Hats off to everyone - especially Gabrielle Savage Dockterman! What an explosive piece for a first time try! And little Zoe Weizenbaum, for her first time acting in front of a camera. Obviously, these two are destined for great things.

I especially appreciate the sensitivity used by everyone involved in producing this film. It is a subject matter that has been discussed and portrayed readily, but never with so much passion, understanding, realism and class. The lack of heavy profanity and sex was so refreshing. Perhaps other producers will take note that exceptional films can be absent of smut. This is a must see for everyone, especially families! The subject matter is very timely with our involvement in Iraq. America deserves to have this film in the theaters to help us all understand the effects of ill-fought, misunderstood wars and to give us faith that even the hard-core victims of war can be reformed if they are given the right chance.

Attention to detail in this film was very impressive. All in all, I can't say enough good about it. Let's get it to the movie theaters!!!

A fine and very timely and important film.

Author: tkavanau from United States
13 August 2005

I think Danny Glover does a terrific job in this movie, arguably the best performance of his career. It is also a credit to him that he was willing to work in this producer's first film. A famous name in motion pictures, Glover could not have been certain 'Missing In America' would get national distribution. I hope it does because it is important for us to see, as is very well shown in this film, the psychological damage negative public attitudes toward our veterans can have, especially since we are once again in a very controversial war. I especially appreciated Ken Kelch's cinematography. His moody exteriors and interiors perfectly reflected the feelings of the Vietnam veterans portrayed in the film. It is worth noting that Kelch himself was a soldier in the Vietnam War, an officer leading troops deep behind the enemy lines. It was a wise choice to have someone skilled in photography and knowledgeable about the war and its veterans to photograph this very moving and important motion picture.

My Opinion on Missing In America-a MUST SEE FILM

Author: Robinla6 from United States
21 July 2005

I saw Missing In America and I feel everyone should see it. I saw it at a special screening with some friends and we couldn't stop talking about it after it was over. It's one of those movies that keep you seated in your chair after the movie is finished. You can't help but want to talk about it. Throughout the movie, I looked around and I saw tears in peoples' eyes. I think Missing In America touches everyone's hearts because Vietnam Vets are always around us reminding us of the sacrifice they made. I would definitely recommend that everyone see this film. It will bring tears to your eyes as well as give you another perspective of Vietnam Vets and how isolated they felt from society after the war.

A Sad Story About Losses and Consequences of a War, 07 January 2007, revised:

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1 July 2007

The veteran Vietnam lieutenant Jake Neeley (Danny Glover) lives alone in a cabin in the woods and his only contact with the civilization is through the owner of a small store, Kate (Linda Hamilton), who periodically supplies his provisions. The solitary Jake helps other lonely veterans that live in the forest giving them part of his supplies and receiving wood in return. When Jake is visited by the former private of his platoon Henry R. Hocknell (David Strathairn), who has lung cancer, Henry asks him to raise his Vietnamese daughter Lenny Hocknell (Zoë Weizenbaum). The widow Henry has no family and he will be subjected to a severe treatment of cancer. The reluctant Jake says no, but Henry leaves his daughter and vanishes. Along his contact with the young girl, Jake improves his behavior until a tragedy happens.

"Missing in America" is a sad story about losses and consequences of a war in the life of the survivors. Danny Glover and the débutant Zoë Weizenbaum have great performances in this tragic film. It is very impressive also the memorial wall in Washington shown in the end of the film, with thousands of names of soldiers that died in Vietnam. Considering that this percentage is very small when comparing with the deaths of Vietnamese (see Obs.), and recalling the deaths of Americans and Iraqi in the recent invasion, I guess what would be necessary to make people live in peace in the world and stop killing each other. Each one of these names has a family that misses the loss of the beloved relative. This movie also shows that the aftermath of a war leaves deep scars even in the survivors, losers or winners. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Cicatrizes da Guerra" ("Scars of the War")

Obs: 1) "The Vietnam War cost the United States 58000 lives." (http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/modules/vietnam/index.cfm).

2) "Documents declassified by the Vietnamese government in 1995, revealed that 5.1 million people, died during the Hanoi's conflict with the United States. Four million civilians died in both the North and South. Total military casualties were put at 1.1 million and 600,000 wounded. Hanoi concealed the figures during the war to avoid demoralizing the population." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War).

Good movie - downer ending

Author: imdb-14188 from United States
27 December 2006

This is one of the better movies exploring the lives of Vietnam veterans still struggling with life after the war. Very timely when you think about the thousands of Iraqi vets who will be the next generation of forgotten heroes. Fantastic acting by Danny Glover and Zoe Weizenbaum (I hope we see more of her in the future). The plot is a little weak but very engaging. The running time is surprisingly short at 105 minutes. There was lots of unexplored territory in the plot (the relationship between Glover and Linda Hamilton's character, the potential search for his son) but perhaps keeping the plot simple is part of the appeal. I would have rated it higher but the ending was a big letdown. I don't mind sad endings as long as it feels like it's part of a greater message.

Amazing movie

Author: rjeven from Canada
20 October 2007

Probably one of the best movies I have seen in a long time, I didn't want it to end. It has so many good things about it I can't even start. It is a must see. Danny Glover was awesome as usual. The little girl was not only cute but acted very well. The plot was different it wasn't your normal good guy wins and everybody is all smiles in the end. The scenery was awesome as well, it was a well filmed movie. Didn't much care for the very end but I'll still give it a 10. I have to admit it mad me tear up a few times and I hate cry babies. If you get a chance watch this movie. It is a movie I would for sure watch again. Can't believe I just found out about it go rent it or do what I did after I seen it BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Movie

Author: rjsaettone from United States
4 August 2007

I saw this movie and I couldn't believe how much I cried. This is such an emotional movie. Unbelievable. I usually don't cry but this movie had me next to sobbing. Great for a movie-goer or the whole family. I honestly think that anyone with any form of love in their heart should see this movie. I just saw this movie tonight actually. 8/4/07. I had tears streaming down my face. But you don't want to hear about how much I cried.

There is a problem, though. What the screenwriters did to the little girl named Lenny is cruel, in my head anyway. It added so much to the drama. Danny Glover does an absolutely wonderful job. The film deserves a much higher score than it was given. The actress playing Lenny did a great job too. The bottom line is this: One of the best movies I have ever seen.

Thanks for listening.

The war at home

Author: jotix100 from New York
23 November 2006

The Viet Nam war is still vivid in most of the men that were involved in that conflict. Some of them were scarred for life, to the point they don't want anything to do with the rest of the society, as it's the case with the people one sees in this film.

Jake, a black man living in a small piece of land in what appears to be the Pacific Northwest, keeps to himself. Whenever he needs provisions he goes to Kate's store. Jake and Kate keep their distance. When Henry, a former soldier who was in Viet Nam with Jake, arrives at the small farm, he brings his little girl, Lenny. This man, we learn, is dying of cancer and wants Jake to keep the girl with him.

Lenny, clashes with Jake from the start. She wants her dad, and it's clear that Jake is not that person. Gradually they come to respect one another. Lenny, who is a friendly girl, wants Jake to be more neighborly. When they have a picnic, some of the other veterans living nearby, come to share some of the food and conversation. Red, a man that suffered a wound to his face, is a strange individual who, when he notices Lenny is half Vietnamese, spits in her face.

Gabrielle Savage Dockterman, the director, keeps things moving in this sad tale about people that can't communicate even though they have a great deal of pain in common. Danny Glover makes a good Jake. Linda Hamilton appears as the store owner Kate, who takes an interest in Jake. Ron Perlman is seen as Red, the man still fighting a war in his own turf. Zoe Wizenbaun makes a sweet Lenny and David Strathairn shows only for a couple of pivotal scenes.

Best movie I've seen all year

Author: Ata-2 from LA
2 January 2006

This is a truly wonderful movie. It surprised the hell out of me. I was all prepared to be bored out of my skull having to sit through one of those "war is bad for you" Hollywood movies. Instead the time flew by and I found myself deeply touched.

Danny Glover plays a Vietnam war veteran hiding away from the world whose life, and the lives of those around him, gets transformed by a young Vietnamese girl (Zoe Weizenbaum) who is left with him by an old army buddy. Linda Hamilton plays a store keeper who is their point of contact with the "real" world. Sounds a bit wishy-washy but believe me its not. There is some kind of comfortable chemistry between Glover, Weizenbaum, and Hamilton that draws you in and makes you really care. Linda Hamilton says more with just the expressions on her face than any number of words. I think of all the movies I have seen Glover and Linda Hamlton perform in this is the only one that proves them as truly great. As for Weizenbaum, well I don't know if someone that young can win an Oscar, but I hope so. The rest of the supporting cast were spot on too.

Having said all that, the movie as a whole is flawed by old-fashioned poorly constructed flash-backs and some useless scenes in the middle that could be cut and more scenes added at the end to add more impact. I have the feeling that if a surgeon like Kieslowski made this movie it would end up as a classic. Flawed and yet I gave it 10/10.

In closing my advice is to go see it and tell your friends about it so hopefully it will get distributed more widely.

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]