IMDb > Saint Ralph (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Saint Ralph

Saint Ralph More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

This is one that you should seek out

Author: somf from United States
25 August 2006

Not that well known, but what a treasure. The best family film I've ever seen that I would never let a kid under 13 watch. Whatever that means. I enjoy coming of age films. They never seem to do well at the box office but are almost all worth a watch. King of the Hill, Leolo, This Boys Life were some of my favorites in the past, but now within the span of one week I've seen two more films to add to that list and they make a great weekend double feature. I highly recommend renting "Evil" (Ondskan) at the same time as Saint Ralph. I actually enjoyed Evil a bit more than Saint Ralph but Saint Ralph is the more moving of the two.

Adam Butcher does a fine job. I've always admired Campbell Scott and I admire him more after seeing Saint Ralph. I realized that he is perhaps the king of the understated actors. Unlike his flamboyant father he creates these understated characters that have a wise interior. The kind of character that commands your respect when you meet them but you're not quite sure why.

The soundtrack is also wonderful and I wish I could find a way to buy Gord Downie's version of Hallelujah which is one of the best uses of music in film ever. I was familiar with the Jeff Buckley version of the Leonard Cohen song. In fact it was the only Jeff Buckley song that I really liked, but Downie blows him away and it works so well within the context of the Boston Marathon. Enjoy this film and rent Ondskan at the same time. You'll be happy that you took my recommendation.

If you believe in miracles...the greatest miracle of the all is LIFE

Author: Cyril Varghese from United States
4 August 2006

My goodness. It is a dream that transforms you to the realm of great faith and hope . You start to rethink your beliefs,your capabilities and your insecurities. Miracles, do they exist?! surely they do, when you see it from a third person point of view. For the person who was part of it, it was only accomplishing something he/she believed in , with far greater pains and sorrows associated to it than the naked eye. What makes them succumb to this impossibility? Faith of the unknown measure, Belief of righteous event or things and Purity of vision.

An awe inspiring journey of a high school boy who always wanted to do something with his life. Who would do anything for a miracle and innocently believed that performing the unthinkable will get him a miracle. He pushes his beliefs and vision to conquer his faith. All this to get his ailing mom back from a coma. Exactly, he believed it.

It is a remarkable motion picture with the débutante, Adam Butcher. He just doesn't look like one, he was living and breathing his character.Calm and fresh feeling of human existence brought to life on the big screen, with equally if not more awe inspiring background score.

A movie that will challenge every conceivable human emotion one can ever possess through its various character displays. A wonderful treat to feel alive .

Has a familiar feeling

Author: Petie3-2 from Redlands CA
25 January 2006

Another small picture with all the little details of timing, lighting, sound, continuity done beautifully. Only the timing of some training was questionable. I compared the entire film to one done in 1996 or so, 'Wide Awake' by M.Night Shaymalon (sp?) which also captured the spirit and ambiance of Catholic School and a quest. Both were wonderful and produced that rare tear. As long as I'm plugging 'Wide Awake' it had fabulous actors (Loggia, Cross, O'Donnell, Leary, Dan Lauria) a tight script, controlled humor beautifully brought out the relationships of a growing-up 5th grader on a quest. There were little vignettes of his best friend having a seizure, a bully who had to leave the school because the parents couldn't afford the tuition, a field trip going bad, classroom and church scenes which bring back sometimes painful memories. 'Saint Ralph' also reminded me of the painful pitfalls of puberty, one half century ago they are still embarrassingly clear in my memory.

runners heart, hearts hope

Author: ronk-11 from United States
15 January 2006

I remembered the breakthroughs of running in high school because they were in this lovely movie, and they were wonderful and hard earned, also a great discovery of self. In this the film is truth, and in the portrayal of this character the central belief in self, though it wavers, is ever present, and finds expression.which in turn is manifested, through belief and work,into a triumphant and fulfilling development within and without the character.This transformation as it develops, draws involvement turned to inspiration in those who are witness to the breakthrough effort of the now center the story Ralph.This is some reality, mixed with everyday experiences and remembrances, and the hopes and wishes for everyday miracles. I could stand a lot more of this feel good and wishful type of movie, and the uplifted spirit it lends, for a while, to my time here.

Very bland and unrealistic

Author: annabanani from Reykjavik, Iceland
3 February 2007

After reading some of the reviews on this site, I decided to watch this movie. Now, I am not a die-hard fan of sappy movies, but I enjoy an occasional tearjerker. I expected this movie to be innovative, and maybe even have a twist to is as it has received such rave reviews, but it was nothing short of disappointing.

The movie, in short, is about a rebellious boy who's father has passed away and his mother is in the hospital. He believes he can perform the miracle of waking is mother from a coma by winning a race.

The movie is very bland, there is nothing original about the plot and the ending is exactly what I expected it to be. It was semi-entertaining, but did not evoke any strong emotion. One could not really relate to the main character, he was just "some guy" to me. In addition, the story was extremely unrealistic and typical. By saying it is unrealistic, I don't mean that nobody could ever wake someone up from a coma by winning a race because that is debatable, but because the amount of time this boy trained for this marathon and the times he received seemed to be pulled out of the air. The social response to this boy was also completely irrational.

If you're just looking for something to keep you entertained for an hour or so and you find this movie lying around, then i wouldn't advise you not to pick it up and watch it. I would, however, not advise you to go to great lengths to see it.

Thematically effective and emotional despite writing flaws

Author: uankdeh
5 September 2011

I believe some people, especially the authors of the raving reviews, let the "feel-goodness" of this movie wash over some of its many flaws. So here, I try to offer a more objective review, if such a thing is possible. I will avoid circumlocution with a simple pro and con contrast.

Pros: Themes of hope and faith in spite of the odds. Spicing up a classic storyline with religious identification. Hilarious, mostly believable, comedic scenes that didn't distract from the drama and sentiment. Childhood innocence. Pre-teen romance, mostly Ralph's attitude and ways of dealing with it.

Cons: Unrealistic explanations regarding why Ralph was left unsupervised and unaccounted for in a house to himself for such a long period. Unrealistic ability to train for a professional race, especially given the time frame. Overused storyline: Typical feel-good competition movie with its ups and downs and eventual happy self revelation. Some unrealistic dialogue: Some of the pre-teen and priest conversations. Unrealistic social interactions: Major support for Ralph in the race, bullies' immediate turnaround in compassion for Ralph, continued negligence of Ralph, and senior father's dedicated suppression of Ralph's goal.

Despite some of these writing flaws, the film was still entertaining and emotionally moving. I personally wouldn't venture to call this movie inspiring, but more of an examination of the state of inspiration, which was powerful enough to shed a tear or two.

Inspirational movie

Author: ninoguapo from Middle of Nowhere
21 January 2007

I really liked "Saint Ralph ". It is great movie full with inspiration. Ralph is a fourteen years old teenager who chooses to chase his own miracle – winning the Boston's marathon. He believes that since people say that such achievement will be a miracle – his mother will wake up from the coma. It is a drama movie and as such there are quite a few scenes which can evoke emotions in its viewers.

The movie starts with a fun scene in which Ralph is having something to confess – what – well he is a teen and have teen " sins " . I like the attitude of Ralph – the way he handles girls for example, or accusations …etc. He is a cute kid as well – and probably one of the reasons for me liking this movie is that I somehow relate to him.After all I have been in the Cross Country Team while studding in the States and when I was his age I took part in many running competitions. You should have seen me watching this movie, as another reviewer (samurai2347) wrote "I was cheering Ralph on as much as the other characters in the film were." The soundtrack was really good – and the music contributed to the overall good impression that the movie leaves. Looking at the storyline – I find similarities with Billy Elliot, trough of course this movie has its own uniqueness.

Author: (ect-1) from France
11 November 2005

This movie is one of the best i ever saw along with saving private Ryan the green mile and doctor patch .

the frame line is regulated with clever humor , there are historical facts and most of all truth in it . The context is variated ,it addresses to teenagers to grown ups .

Great one, i'm currently going to look for other films made by this realist .

if you want to find good vibrations , see hope and a guideline to spirit , look at it .

(you really want to see this movie . )

Online trailer for Saint Ralph

Author: freddyfraud from Canada
8 April 2005

Here's an excellent case of Canadians under-promoting a homegrown movie. The film opens this weekend, and you can't find the trailer online at any of the usual places, including IMDb, Warner Brothers and

Eventually, I found one at Alliance Atlantis:

Reviews have been good, including one from the Catholic News Service.

This film's been compared with Millions and Dear Frankie.

- Freddy

Canada, eh?

Author: corston-2 from Canada
19 October 2006

Being a Canadian and in the "arts" (i.e broke), I recognized this film as a Canadian offering from the first frame. And this is one Canadian film that can hold its own against anything out there. It makes me think of some the brilliant Belgium films of late.

Sentimental? You bet! But young Butcher and his director want you to get on your running shoes and run like the wind with them.

The film captures, with just the right touch, all that is good in Ralph. It's a "root for the right little guy" type of film which goes beyond being parochial. Hats off to the director/writer McGowan and young Butcher for doing a slap-up job.

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]