IMDb > Saint Ralph (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

runners heart, hearts hope

Author: ronk-11 from United States
15 January 2006

I remembered the breakthroughs of running in high school because they were in this lovely movie, and they were wonderful and hard earned, also a great discovery of self. In this the film is truth, and in the portrayal of this character the central belief in self, though it wavers, is ever present, and finds expression.which in turn is manifested, through belief and work,into a triumphant and fulfilling development within and without the character.This transformation as it develops, draws involvement turned to inspiration in those who are witness to the breakthrough effort of the now center the story Ralph.This is some reality, mixed with everyday experiences and remembrances, and the hopes and wishes for everyday miracles. I could stand a lot more of this feel good and wishful type of movie, and the uplifted spirit it lends, for a while, to my time here.

Very bland and unrealistic

Author: annabanani from Reykjavik, Iceland
3 February 2007

After reading some of the reviews on this site, I decided to watch this movie. Now, I am not a die-hard fan of sappy movies, but I enjoy an occasional tearjerker. I expected this movie to be innovative, and maybe even have a twist to is as it has received such rave reviews, but it was nothing short of disappointing.

The movie, in short, is about a rebellious boy who's father has passed away and his mother is in the hospital. He believes he can perform the miracle of waking is mother from a coma by winning a race.

The movie is very bland, there is nothing original about the plot and the ending is exactly what I expected it to be. It was semi-entertaining, but did not evoke any strong emotion. One could not really relate to the main character, he was just "some guy" to me. In addition, the story was extremely unrealistic and typical. By saying it is unrealistic, I don't mean that nobody could ever wake someone up from a coma by winning a race because that is debatable, but because the amount of time this boy trained for this marathon and the times he received seemed to be pulled out of the air. The social response to this boy was also completely irrational.

If you're just looking for something to keep you entertained for an hour or so and you find this movie lying around, then i wouldn't advise you not to pick it up and watch it. I would, however, not advise you to go to great lengths to see it.

Thematically effective and emotional despite writing flaws

Author: uankdeh
5 September 2011

I believe some people, especially the authors of the raving reviews, let the "feel-goodness" of this movie wash over some of its many flaws. So here, I try to offer a more objective review, if such a thing is possible. I will avoid circumlocution with a simple pro and con contrast.

Pros: Themes of hope and faith in spite of the odds. Spicing up a classic storyline with religious identification. Hilarious, mostly believable, comedic scenes that didn't distract from the drama and sentiment. Childhood innocence. Pre-teen romance, mostly Ralph's attitude and ways of dealing with it.

Cons: Unrealistic explanations regarding why Ralph was left unsupervised and unaccounted for in a house to himself for such a long period. Unrealistic ability to train for a professional race, especially given the time frame. Overused storyline: Typical feel-good competition movie with its ups and downs and eventual happy self revelation. Some unrealistic dialogue: Some of the pre-teen and priest conversations. Unrealistic social interactions: Major support for Ralph in the race, bullies' immediate turnaround in compassion for Ralph, continued negligence of Ralph, and senior father's dedicated suppression of Ralph's goal.

Despite some of these writing flaws, the film was still entertaining and emotionally moving. I personally wouldn't venture to call this movie inspiring, but more of an examination of the state of inspiration, which was powerful enough to shed a tear or two.

Inspirational movie

Author: ninoguapo from Middle of Nowhere
21 January 2007

I really liked "Saint Ralph ". It is great movie full with inspiration. Ralph is a fourteen years old teenager who chooses to chase his own miracle – winning the Boston's marathon. He believes that since people say that such achievement will be a miracle – his mother will wake up from the coma. It is a drama movie and as such there are quite a few scenes which can evoke emotions in its viewers.

The movie starts with a fun scene in which Ralph is having something to confess – what – well he is a teen and have teen " sins " . I like the attitude of Ralph – the way he handles girls for example, or accusations …etc. He is a cute kid as well – and probably one of the reasons for me liking this movie is that I somehow relate to him.After all I have been in the Cross Country Team while studding in the States and when I was his age I took part in many running competitions. You should have seen me watching this movie, as another reviewer (samurai2347) wrote "I was cheering Ralph on as much as the other characters in the film were." The soundtrack was really good – and the music contributed to the overall good impression that the movie leaves. Looking at the storyline – I find similarities with Billy Elliot, trough of course this movie has its own uniqueness.

Readme

Author: (ect-1) from France
11 November 2005

This movie is one of the best i ever saw along with saving private Ryan the green mile and doctor patch .

the frame line is regulated with clever humor , there are historical facts and most of all truth in it . The context is variated ,it addresses to teenagers to grown ups .

Great one, i'm currently going to look for other films made by this realist .

if you want to find good vibrations , see hope and a guideline to spirit , look at it .

(you really want to see this movie . )

Online trailer for Saint Ralph

Author: freddyfraud from Canada
8 April 2005

Here's an excellent case of Canadians under-promoting a homegrown movie. The film opens this weekend, and you can't find the trailer online at any of the usual places, including IMDb, Warner Brothers and Tribute.ca

Eventually, I found one at Alliance Atlantis:

Reviews have been good, including one from the Catholic News Service.

This film's been compared with Millions and Dear Frankie.

- Freddy

Canada, eh?

Author: corston-2 from Canada
19 October 2006

Being a Canadian and in the "arts" (i.e broke), I recognized this film as a Canadian offering from the first frame. And this is one Canadian film that can hold its own against anything out there. It makes me think of some the brilliant Belgium films of late.

Sentimental? You bet! But young Butcher and his director want you to get on your running shoes and run like the wind with them.

The film captures, with just the right touch, all that is good in Ralph. It's a "root for the right little guy" type of film which goes beyond being parochial. Hats off to the director/writer McGowan and young Butcher for doing a slap-up job.

Hugh

I really liked this movie

Author: bill121313 from United States
21 August 2006

I really liked the movie, Adam Butcher seems like he will be one of the bright new actors, and should get more unique and changelling roles, and the movie was very well done. i love all heart warming movies. still a child at heart I guess. the movie was very believable and it made me wonder if it did really happen. i checked it out and found out that it was all fiction, still if it can make you believe. it deserves merit. miracles can happen, if you believe. I was born on Friday December 13th 1957. and 3 years ago i found my soulmate. and we were married. she is the love of my life. her birthday is December 13th. 1966. (soulmates) like Ripley's believe it or not. i live a few miles from hopkinton mass the start of the Boston Marathon.

psychic "bill"

Fun, reminiscent of the Wonder Years TV show

Author: pc95 from San Diego
18 December 2005

This is an enjoyable little story sort of bringing together a tale about sports, adolescence, life, and Christianity. Anyone Catholic or with some Catholic upbringing will identify with Ralph's plight better. The whole cast does a good job. There are both some funny and touching moments throughout the light-hearted trek for a boy trying to deal with his mother being in a coma. Unfortunately there are also some things that the movie could've done without. The soundtrack got a little too sentimental and overused at times. Miracles and religion sometimes felt over-discussed. At 98 min it actually feels a lot longer. The lead actor helps hold the movie with an odd quirkiness. It was sort of like a mix between a Wonder Years episode and Lucas with Corey Haim but with a religious background. OK for a rental....

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]