IMDb > Chameli (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chameli

Chameli More at IMDbPro »

The magic of one rainy night

Author: Peter Young from Earth
29 August 2009

Chameli is a delightful experience. It's about two people - a recently widowed businessman and a carefree street prostitute who meet on one rainy night when she is stuck with no clients and he is stuck as his car refuses to move. He is heartbroken and sad and she is cynical and vulgar. Yet, their interaction unveils so many life experiences, secrets and truths that they learn to know each other much more than expected and gradually get exposed and opened to each other. Their relationship develops so beautifully that it's like a story during several days or months. This concept is exceptional. The film is interesting and flows very well despite a somewhat slow pacing. I found the film artfully intriguing and very well narrated. The film belongs to Kareena Kapoor, who finally gave her first noteworthy performance. She does look a bit caricaturish in some scenes, but overall she is very convincing, charming and touching as a prostitute who is more of a prankster who somehow enjoys life and does not take it too seriously. Rahul Bose turns in a very fine and believable portrayal. The music is beautiful, the cinematography is effective, and the film is generally realistic and very entertaining. People who like artistic films will certainly enjoy this one. It is an impressive and fairly awakening piece.

a different love story.

Author: movie_3 (life_is_evergreen@yahoo.com) from dhaka, bangladesh
25 July 2004

I have seen this movie recently. And it seems to me that it is really different movie from typical bollywood films.

The script & direction of this movie is really brilliant and worth of praising. Rahul bosh as Aman Kapoor & bollywood actress Kareena Kapoor as Chameli played their roles successfully. Especially I recommend Kareena Kapoor for her wonderful acting in this movie as a prostitute named 'Chameli'.

I recommend this movie to watch who likes different type of films. I rate this movie 10/10. The movie is really excellent.

Oh what a night!

Author: Manuja from Middle Earth
11 October 2004

This movie was one of the best Indian films I have seen! I loved it. Such a well written film, and so sensitively portrayed. The acting was superb. I adore Rahul Bohse, he is always a delight to watch. I agree with another comment on this page, that he would have been ideal for the role in Kal Ho Na Ho, actually he would be ideal for many roles that I've seen being handed over to lesser actor's for their commercial appeal. He is a delight to watch no matter what character he plays. I first noticed him when he played Sunny in "Thakshak". He managed to upstage Ajay Devgan, who in my opinion is one of the best actor's in Bollywood. He proved he could do comedy too, with his role in Jhankar Beats.

As for Kareena Kapoor, she was a pleasant surprise. I knew that she could act,but since she was always being "type-cast", she couldn't do much with her roles. I think she bought a touching sensitivity to the character. The fact that it was Kareena Kapoor acting as Chameli somehow made her plight even more poignant, because we know what she is like as a "carefree" character, and this is a direct contrast from that. This adds to the pathos in my opinion. There was a lot of depth in her performance. Well done Kareena!As for story, it attempts to realistically portray the lives of people in the red light districts, and especially those of women and their plight. The two protagonists are both in pain. They are both going through different types of pain in their lives, and for a moment they stop to share their plight with one another. It's the kind of encounter everyone dreams of. It's a very romantic meeting, albeit in a very unromantic setting. At heart, this movie is about finding love in the most unlikely places, and how a women who has lost faith in men has it restored by a kind and handsome stranger who wanted to help her without wanting anything back. This movie makes you believe that chivalry is not dead after all!

more movies of this kind should be made in bollywood

Author: sandeep-bapat from India
22 January 2005

i think this is the best low budget movie i have seen for a long time. The story is very simple but the director has presented it in a very refreshing manner. The acting is good. Rahul Bose is excellent as usual. Kareena surprisingly has given a good performance. All the supporting actors are also good. I don't know why the directors in India don't make more such movies. I think there should be a quality board for Hindi cinema which monitors the quality of movies. Movies like "Ab Bas" should not be allowed. I think bollywood should try to find a right mix between movies like Devdas and Chameli. And perhaps make movies like "LAGAAN" in every 5 years.

A Warm Love Story on a Rainy Night.

Author: Herag Halli from Heraganahalli, India
29 February 2004

Some actors,tend to grow on you, even though you had dislikes because of the initial type-casting. The case in point-Kareena Kapoor. It is easy to dismiss her as a mediocre or run-of-the-mill Bollywood actress that made it to fame because of family name,connections or whatever; but when she gets under the skin of the character,you slowly change your opinion and keep an open mind about the capacity of an actor to emote-albeit she is not in the same class as a Rehman, Rani or a Dixit. Circumstances, bring together this couple, who seem to be woven from different societal fabric, but the commonality of caring and sharing weaves an heartwarming story, that reveals shamelessly, lot of the ugliness; that is the underworld that the very society, tries to sweep under the rug. Rahul Bose, is never a disappointment and he shows that he can play a character better than any of the current crop of actors, who seem to have a chip on their shoulders and they overact to cover their inferiority complex-as a matter of fact I think he would have been perfect to play the leading part in "Kal Ho Na Ho", but the status quo, that makes Bollywood the Boringwood, we are forced to watch the same overacting idiot (ugly and menacing) in every other movie. In Chameli-the flame of love keeps burning, even it was a lit by a "whore"

Delightful!

Author: Sonny_N from Toronto, Canada
20 January 2004

I actually rented this film because of Rahul Bose. He is quite the actor and has done rather well for himself in the "Art Cinema" genre of Bollywood with film's such as, Mr. & Mrs. Iyer; Everybody Says I'm Fine to name a few.

But I was mildly surprised with Kareena Kapoor's acting capabilities. I always pictured her as the scantly clad, self-absorbed and bitchy "poo" from the film "Kabhie Kushe Kabhie Gham" (A movie I unfortunately sat through....my solace...I only saw it half-way) and thought of her as another shallow 20something actress. She fits the role like a glove and the film is cinematically appealing to the palate as well. Shot in the monsoon drenched locales of Bombay with catchy songs (Bhaage Re Man, Sajna Ve and the female rendition of Jaane being my favourites) reminded me of good times spent in Bombay.

The tale begins with a snippet into Aman Kapoor's (played by Rahul Bose) life. He is a 30something financial analyst of sorts at one of Bombay's Banks (or something along those lines). A party is being thrown for him as he has successfully completed some sort of merger. Aman is prosperous, he charges around RS. 10,000 per hour for a private consultation, but is not the partying sort. So he ends up leaving the bash and drives around Bombay until his car stalls at Fountain in the red-light district (notoriously known to be a place frequented by whoremongers and is a place where whores and their pimps reside). As it's a stormy night, business is dull. This is where we are introduced to Chameli, a whore played by Kareena.

Our protagonist Aman and Chameli get involved in conversation. What is the result of this association? I shall let the readers watch and find out.

The film is presented as a narrative with Rahul Bose being the storyteller. As I stated before the film is delightful as it give us (it certainly did me) insight in to the reality of the shanty & shady areas of Bombay, but in a more subtle way when compared to movies such as Chandani Bar or Market. This film is the meeting of two very different yet distinct methods of filmmaking in India...the commercial (sing, sing...dance, dance...trees...snowy mountains) and the Art House (movies that touch socio-political issues and raise questions/arguments). A meeting that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Now I rarely watch Indian films, as most of them turn out to be a waste of three hours, but I highly recommend this film to viewers. I give it an 8.5/10.

Different, interesting experience

Author: AishFan from San Jose, CA, US
30 January 2004

This movie is definitely a breakthrough in Bollywood cinema in terms of the story and the approach to telling it. The entire movie takes place in just one night. It is interesting to see how a family values, extremely wealthy man spends a night with a prostitute. Beginning with his prejudice, he slowly grows to accept, protect, and, one can even say, love her. It took an entire movie summed up in an extremely brief "climax" to perfectly convince and portray the theme that 'It doesn't matter what the backgrounds, gender, etc. are; there should just be love.'

Decent movie

Author: krishnashivakumar from India
31 December 2011

I recently saw this movie and it actually turned out a pretty OK for a film.The first half of this movie was pretty boring but the second half turned out to be pretty good.This movie mostly tells about the story of a prostitute and knowing about the life of a prostitute was interesting and riveting.I also liked the interactions between Aman and Chameli and the relationship between them which was deep and subtle.I also like the realistic setting of this movie.The music was excellent with songs like Sajna Ve Sajna and Bhage Re Mann.Rahul Boses acting was simply brilliant.But the show stealer has to be Kareena who has given a simply flawless act as Chameli she got every thing of the character right be it the mannerisms,accent,look of the character.This movie is worth a watch for this who appreciates very realistic movies and it wont appeal to those who likes the masala movies

Well in one line: "The movie worth watching"

Author: Vikas SS from Mumbai, India
12 May 2005

Summary: Investment Banker Aman (Rahul Bose) on his way from a party in a stormy night gets stranded in one of Mumbai's not-so-decent places. He then, encounters Chameli (Kareena Kapoor) who is a prostitute. Aman who is new to this other face of Mumbai faces new challenges hitherto unknown in his high-profile life.

Comment: Although he story is fair, what is more important in the movie is the characterisation. Rahul Bose seems to repeat his role from 'Mumbai Matinée'; only this time he is richer and more sophisticated. In fact, it would be better to say that he has repeated his roles of both 'Mumbai Matinée' and 'Mr & Mr Iyer'. The common thread in all these three movies of his is that the conclusion is seen only in the last few frames of the movie.

Kareena has stolen the show with her stunning performance. From the bubbly character of poo in K3g, this role is far away from it and Kareena has put life into the character. There is a mention of Umrao Jaan and Chandramukhi (of devdas fame) in the movie. Probably one can say that Umrao Jaan, Chandramukhi and Chameli are the similar character shown in three different generations and settings.

The chemistry between the characters has been portrayed well. Although to some extent it may seem difficult to believe an investment banker falling in love with a Prostitute; well, thats the directorial licence to say "Life's like that". Well in one line, it is a movie worth watching.

Strange Meetings

Author: littlemisslaughter from United Arab Emirates
17 August 2014

Sometimes even strangers can understand your pain better than your own family or friends. As they say, everything happens for a reason. As cheesy as this quote is, it proves to be true (especially in movies).

One night. Rain. Two strangers. What's next?

First, performances. Rahul Bose completely bowled me over as the heartbroken Aman Kapoor, who blames himself for the death of his wife. He is humble and caring, and has sympathy for the people that are forced into prostitution and money-laundering. I wish he received the appreciation he deserves. But I really need to watch more of his movies!

Kareena Kapoor as the vibrant Chameli is heartwarming, though her dialogue delivery seems slightly robotic and rushed at times. She has her own philosophy on her "filthy world" and this was probably one of her strongest performances.

The relationship that Aman and Chameli share is unusual yet understanding; the two strangers seem to be interested in each other's worlds and pasts. There's no intimacy, only conversations. No grand promises or gestures, only talking and helping. And that's what makes this movie so special. It stays close to reality, although one would wonder how such heavy rain lasts for so many hours (haha).

The music is soothing, "Sajna ve Sajna" and "Bhaage re Mann" are classics. Although the movie is short, the pace slows down dreadfully in the second half, as happens with most Bollywood films. Nevertheless, the proceedings kept my attention for the (almost) 2 hour runtime, as I kept wondering "How is this all going to end?"

And the end of the movie was perfect. It brought a smile to my face. An underrated movie, please go watch it if you haven't already!