IMDb > Amelia (2003) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Amelia (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Dancers like us

Author: Daniel Boto from Portugal
9 June 2006

"Amelia" is one of the greatest works of the modern times that better combines multiples artistic disciplines, reminding us the benefits and the possibilities of putting different ways of expression together: theater, classic/contemporary dance, performance, music and cinema.

Édouard Lock, creator of "La La La Human Steps" dance company, is the choreographer and the director of this filmed version, which is totally different from the original work designed for the conventional "stage". In this exclusive version for (tv) screens, Édouard Lock moves forward all the way through new methods of filming dance, turning what sometimes appears to be only ordinary movements into meaningful sequences, ordered according to a narrative scheme that may not be easy or consensually understood.

David Lang's original music score (soft, childish and enigmatic), in articulation with special lightning and cinematic effects, creates a rare atmosphere of elegance, beauty and tension, combined with true experimental, gracious and sometimes impolite approaches.

It is not about exposing the body in symbolic or in metaphoric terms, but in a physical and in an emotive way. The spectator must feel the characters as humans, more then simply watching them as mechanical perfect dancing machines. Mostly because they have feelings and concern about the same terrestrial things we do. In this aspect, there is an obvious intention of bringing back dance to a large amount of people.

It is definitely an original, artistic and beautiful multidisciplinary masterpiece.

it's dancing...

Author: mrtwist13 from United Kingdom
2 February 2006

Normally I do not care for contemporary dance, But I was curious about this film. It was being played on TV around Christmas time, so with nothing better to do, i settled my curiosity. To my surprise it wasn't mind numbingly boring, sad or pretentious like i thought it was going to be. It's actually visually stunning. Fantastic lighting and a fascinating set. Some really damn good all round cinematography! I did expect for the dancers in the first scene to eventually speak and for a plot then start. But no, turns out it's just dancing... all the way through. I think I can safely say the majority of males watching this film would get bored eventually, unless he has an interest in dance or perhaps theatre. Females.. couldn't say. But I would say this film is worth at least 10 minutes of your time. To young aspiring art-film makers I would recommend watching this film. The colours are very sincere which make for a striking 'vogue!' appearance, and the lighting bedazzling, emphasizing the stunning moves of all the dancers.

But anyways, check it out even if only for a few moments. I think the open minded can appreciate the film for what it is and what it's trying to do. Plus you never know, you may find out you have a deep hidden passion for dance!