IMDb > Rude Boy: The Jamaican Don (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Rude Boy: The Jamaican Don More at IMDbPro »

Rude Boy is not so bad to those of us who can relate!

Author: Felicia Smith (feliciamosesbaby@yahoo.com) from United States
19 March 2005

Rude Boy, to a Native Jamaican, who understands how 'tings get, is more than just a C-Film. I do admit, the acting was second rate, and there were a gaggle of virtual nobodies that made up the cast. But, who are we kidding, that is how it is in Jamaica, and how it can become for immigrants who are denied a fresh start. Mark Danvers, "Julius", has a few Jamaican films to his credit, although he has not made even minimal crossover success. It is true that "Biggs" is a character that is stereotypical for that particular actor, perhaps because of his foreboding and piercing eyes, or his enormous stature. There is a copious amount of drug selling, murder, and sex, however, I believe that it is educational. Definitely not for young eyes or minds.

not much of anything

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
16 July 2009

I've seen this film twice now, the first time willingly, the second time wasn't (I picked up a copy of the film unaware that it had a different cover previously and was forced to see it when the person I was with insisted because they hadn't seen it themselves.) Crime drama concerns drug smuggling between the US and Jamaica, in particular one man and his attempt to control the traffic in several US cities. I really won't go into details, of which there are many, since so much is thrown at you that actually means very much. Cheaply made the film might have been a passable time killer except for the fact that the cast is so erratic (The cast mixes real non actors, as in no ability, with professionals) that you can't ever shake the fact that the film seems little more than a home movie. My reaction even the second time was disinterest and incredulity at what I was watching. I still don't completely know what I saw. Give the film points for some good scenes in Jamaica that were done in the local dialect and which have a great sense of place, but as for the rest of it the film will probably barely register on your psyche (even the advertised appearance by Jimmy Cliff, is not much of anything, a simple sequence that last perhaps two or three minutes and means nothing.) I'd take a pass and watch something else.

Vaguely Interesting Almost Laughable Bad Movie

Author: mwendel (mr.michael.wendel@gmail.com) from Kings Park, NY
15 February 2004

This is one of those movies begging to be shown late at night on the USA Network. Besides the plot with a lot of potential and the translation of Jamaican slang English using subtitles, there wasn't much left to talk about in this movie. I can't honestly with a clear conscience recommend this movie, even as a video. If you really have to see this movie, wait until it hits cable, otherwise its not worth it. I was watching this movie and I watched my watch equally as much.

The plot had more holes than a pound of Swiss cheese and wasn't at all surprising. The soundtrack was spotty and bad. The scene cuts made you think they spliced out the TV commercials (maybe they saw the script and just planned ahead. The acting was grade "C" at best. The only got you might recognize is Michael Taliferro, who played Emerald in "You Got Served". Although you might think its double vision when you see the character he plays in this movie.

I really hope this was a low budget flick, because if it wasn't someone who wasn't in the movie got robbed. Don't waste any money if this ever makes it to a theatre or video. Just wait in and see if it hits cable - expect it around 3 am or 4 am.

A Rediculaclly good movie

Author: Kevin_Souice from United States
16 December 2004

People if you know me, I love everything Jamaican, But no I do not like this just because of that reason, It was a great movie! I mean sure, the quality sucked I mean people, The quality was like some person just taped their own home video, but it was still really good. I liked Beenie Man, but for some really odd reason, I kept thinking that he was going to get killed some time.

The ending was Rediculaclly GGREAT! (not to rip on tony the tiger) The Dude escaped from Jamaica, and went back to the united states (it may be backwards, either back to the U.S, or Jamaica don't remember).

I don't care what other people say about this movie. It's the best movie but like I said there is REAL BAD QUALITY TO THIS MOVIE!!!