IMDb > Mouth to Mouth (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mouth to Mouth More at IMDbPro »

Portrait of a Cult

Author: MovieBuff1414 from United States
28 January 2008

When I first saw the preview for this film, it looked like a trippy indie film with a great soundtrack. I decided to give it a chance and bought it. It just came in today and I have to say, it is not what I expected, but better.

This film is not about some rebel girl who runs away from home and has insane adventures. This is a movie about a girl who is desperately trying to become a part of something and the mother who follows her into a dangerous cult. It has so much more depth than I expected. The movie's hero is clearly Bat from beginning to end. However, other characters who the viewer does not expect become heroes as well. The movie shows a very scary and a very real descent into the lifestyle of a cult. The characters are unique and are uniquely duped into this life.

The acting in it is phenomenal. Ellen Page, who we now know as Juno, shows another side of herself as the resilient Bat. The character shows real strength in the face of confusion.

This movie entices and rattles the viewer. It dares to ask the question, What is a perfect world?

I finally received the movie!

Author: TheGOLDENWALRUS from United States
19 February 2008

After two years of trying to find the movie, I finally purchased it for 18.99 on ebay. Right when I received the package, I put it in my DVD player. It was worth the wait.

First to note, the movie is low budget and you can tell from the poor lighting. But, it kind of added to this film. The film was very dark and gritty as it portrayed a cult that started as a party and ended as manipulation. I did notice quite a few plot holes such as how did Sherry's mother find Sherry when Sherry was over a thousand miles away. But other than that I applaud Alison Murray's efforts in this film as we laughed and cried with the lead character played by the always fantastic, Ellen Page.

It was after Ellen's performance in Hard Candy that made me want to follow her and it is quite obvious that she'll have a fantastic career ahead of her.

There is so much to say about this film. I loved the score and thought it was perfect for the film. It was very well placed and enjoyable. I loved how the actors would kind of dance to strange situations such as Sherry's mom would try to get Sherry in her car and Sherry wanted to get away from her. It was almost liked they did a tango. It was beautiful to me. What I also enjoyed about the movie was it was very unpredictable. Early in a movie you see a kid get nonchalantly thrown into a dumpster to get some food and he ends up hitting his head against a sharp object. There was no music to narrate the situation for you so it kept me off guard. I don't know what it is about indy films but they always appeal to me. I love the experimentation of the film.

So all in all, you'll probably not be able to find this movie for rent and will most likely have to take the chance and purchase the film. It was very hard to find and ebay or Amazon is the only way you'll be able to find it. This movie reminded me a little of Firecracker, House of Sand and Fog, and 11:14. Mouth to Mouth is bizarre and is really "out there" so you need to watch it with an open mind.

P.S: Congraduations to Ms. Page for her Oscar nomination and I'm sure she won't let the instant fame get to her head and she'll continue to pick original and great scripts.

Adolecence amok.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
21 November 2011

Eye opening look at lost souls of the street. Disenchanted teen Sherry(Ellen Page)is hitching through Europe trying to get away from her single mom Rose(Natasha Wightman). Sherry falls in with a cult-like group of young people; former drug addicts and prostitutes. This is just one of many like groups living an underground existence. The charismatic leader of this particular band of misfits is Harry(Eric Thal), who wants to lead his followers to a mystical and euphoric place that also seems lost. Mind control and habit changing techniques are supposedly going to keep these people off the streets...and supplying them a future. Sherry's mother finally catches up with her placing her voyage of self discovery in considerable doubt. Cinematography and camera angles provide for a disconnected atmosphere. This gritty indy film is directed by Alison Murray based on some of her own real-life experiences. MOUTH to MOUTH is definitely not mainstream. Page is excellent and truthfully the only reason I chose to check this flick out. Others in the cast: Beatrice Brown, Diana Greenwood, Maxwell McCabe-Lokos, Jefferson Guzman, Armin Dillenberger, August Diehl and Willie Rachow. Beware of course language and sexual situations.

Mouth to Mouth

Author: alexmvieira14 from Portugal
22 July 2014

(I apologize if the review contain mistakes, because I'm Portuguese)

I'm loyal fan of the movies that Ellen Page has been doing in recent times ("Juno," "An American Crime", "Hard Candy" ...)

Recently I had the opportunity to see this "Mouth to Mouth". I prepared some popcorn, sat down on the couch and started to watch it!

The first parameter to not like the movie, I noticed that happens early in the film, his screenplay was a bit confusing. Very tied up. Do not know if understood the "tied" which meant, but is a bit confused. The worst is that the screenplay will continued so until the rest of the film.

The director of the film sometimes shows strange scenes on screen (I will not say the spoiler), but who see the movie will notice this and identify what those scenes. Sometimes, the course of the film is a bit confusing. I do not have much sense of time.

Now let the good things the movie. I love the twists of the film and the performances. The cinematography is very dirty! And for being "dirty", it is a good cinematography. And the soundtrack, I liked.

Overall is good. But ... have their reservations. Have bad side. Recommend, but does not belong to my favorite movies.

Jim Jones Kool-Aid anyone?

Author: Philip E. Bateson Jr. from Arizona, USA
29 August 2013

This story unfolds when our main character, Bat, played by Ellen Page is invited to join a social movement called spark. They help young homeless kids find resources and try to educate them.

As the movement grows, so does the leader's desires. He eventually recruits these young burnouts into relocating to a vineyard somewhere in Spain. Bat is at first all in on the whole commune thing and is working diligently to prove her worth.

She is shunned by the leader, Harry, and in an attempt to gain favor with him, she has sex with him. (no nudity, sorry pervo's) This backfires as with most demigod figures in history has a real problem with libido. His performance on the night was lack luster. Bat tries to comfort him and he recoils and then turns in back on her in a communal meeting and she is ostracized by the group and punished.

The veil is lifted and now Bat is seeing and thinking clearly. She tries to convince her mom, who in an attempt to stop her was sucked in to commune, to leave and get away. She fails.

This movie is very good reminder of why communal living, whilst great in theory, is not so great in its application.

Morale of the story. DIY DO IT YOURSELF Think for yourself. When it looks wrong, feels wrong, sounds wrong....IT'S WRONG!!!!

Good performance from Page in a so-so film

Author: Alain English from London, England
19 April 2008

Directly preceding "Hard Candy", the film that made her name, "Mouth to Mouth" is Ellen Page's break-out movie and it's easy to see why. Her performance as Sherry, a lost young girl in Eastern Europe finding sanctuary with a group of sub-hippies, is a standout in it's bravery and sheer physicality.

Sherry (Page) is a runaway from Canada loose in Germany who takes up with a group called SPARK (Street People Armed with Radical Knowledge), a group of similarly adrift young people taken under the wing of Harry (Eric Thal), an older man with high ideals. Other notable people in the group include fun-loving Nancy (Beatrice Brown) and friendly, zany Mad Ax (Maxwell McCabe-Lokos). Sherry shares a conflicted relationship with her mother (Natasha Wightman) who joins the group in an effort to reclaim her, but the two of them come under strain when it's clear that Harry is less interested in high ideals and more interested in controlling the group by any means necessary...

The central of themes of how ideals are subverted in the name of power, even with this group of so-called radicals, are realised in the latter part of the film where Harry sets his group to work on a vineyard where his true motivations become clear. While this is very interesting to watch, I still thought more could have been done with it. As good a character as Harry is as written, Eric Thal does not seem to have the range to make his transformation truly register emotionally. Consequently a good part of the film falls down.

It is Page, of course, that saves the movie although even she is not quite at her best here. Her performance does not have the wit of her "X-Men" and "Juno" appearances, nor the edge she would acquire doing "Hard Candy". Nevertheless there is a strong and truthful physicality in her presence that registers best in unspoken moments, especially the roadside exchanges between her and Wightman, and later McCabe-Lokos. These two scenes are like a dance, yet seem perfectly natural and it's difficult to imagine another actor doing them this well.

"Mouth to Mouth" is Region 1 and hard to find in this country, but it is worth looking up anyway for it's interesting themes and Page's central performance.

What the hell?

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
3 January 2016

That's all I can describe it, it is just a poorly done movie. I haven't a blooming clue what's happening with Ellen Pages character. Is she being kidnapped or did she sign up to be with those gang of people? I couldn't believe they were speaking German as well in an all English movie, this isn't even set in Germany, it just looks like the location is in America.

This movie felt really wrong and distasteful, the storyline should've been properly done but instead, it was rather boring and annoying. I really regret touching this movie ever! It just doesn't mean anything or it is a complete waste of time!

Don't watch it folks!

Lauihsaihbsh

Author: Raisethesailss from United States
13 April 2013

THE SCRIPT WAS INCREDIBLE I have a bias here but if you like Larry Clark movies then you will absolutely love this movie People complained about the quality but it adds to it Like Quentin Tarantino's' "Planet Terror" the DVD came with the gritty filmy black and white feel and the normal quality I Couldn't IMAGINE WATCHING PLANET TERROR IN REGULAR QUALITY in fact I barely noticed because it goes with the movie like how Mouth to Mouth is

It really is heart wrenching and I cried :s there's some controversy with the sex scene Ellen Page does it perfectly. The cast was emotional and real. In the scene where she runs to her mom in the hammock she says I WAITED which I'm assuming she meant she waited as in her virginity I feel like I relate to Nancy or ax Ax is such a genuine character and Nancy was a teen-rebel with unsure dreams

It is a grungy sad film but scenes such as when sherry and her mom are "dancing" as well as the end where it ends quite happy but reality its kinda sad The ending is of sherry and ax running happily transitioning into white screen I understand how some may not liked the ending. Though it would be cute for ax and sherry to have some sort of romantic relationship but that wasn't what it was about I feel like it resembled freedom and there's hope,never to late..,etc. The writer defiantly has a unique style which should be greatly known for

Im not aware of any movies by the same writer/director but I will be looking forward to it

S.P.A.R.K. - Street People Armed with Radical Knowledge

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
22 September 2012

I found this movie on Netflix streaming movies. I had recently re-watched 'Juno' and wanted to see a few other roles Ellen Page had before she became famous. The title comes from an early scene where some 'SPARK' members are demonstrating mouth-to-mouth one evening in the streets of Berlin. There also is a much later scene where it was used to try to save someone. But on a more symbolic level it could apply to what the members of the SPARK cult provide for each other, for survival.

Ellen Page is London high-schooler Sherry . She just doesn't seem to identify with the rigid life and decides to just go away, joining up with the others in SPARK, headed eventually to Portugal in the SPARK bus. Natasha Wightman plays Sherry's mother, Rose , soon hitting the road to look for Sherry, and quite unexpectedly finds her.

Eric Thal is the defacto leader of SPARK, and as is the case with cults, he makes the rules and decides what the punishment is if someone breaks them. But his method is even more insidious, he befriends the prettiest, has sex with them, then shuns them. As Sherry finds out the hard (no pun intended) way. As they eventually stand up to him, explaining he 'sucks the souls out of people.'

I suppose the main thrust of the story is the overused 'coming of age' experience, this for Sherry. She finally wises up and breaks free, but in a twist her mother decides staying with SPARK is what she really wants out of life.

It is not an easy movie to watch, mainly because you know there are street people like that all over. But it is a good watch for Ellen Page, she is amazingly good.

Utterly disappointing

Author: ivovanderavert from Netherlands
11 April 2012

Through the years, I've become a huge fan of Ellen Page and I must admit that this was the sole reason I wanted to see this film. But ultimately, this film was a real bummer.

Page's acting is superb of course, along with some other actors. But throughout this movie, each genuine tension build-up seems to accumulate in an anticlimax. The movie starts gripping, but then all of a sudden some highly implausible elements are added to the equation, resulting in disappointment and even irritation.

For instance, when Sherry's mother finds her and takes her with her, all of a sudden *she's* the one who wants to stay, while Sherry wants to leave. The way in which Sherry's mother turns into an avid fan just overnight is some kind of 15-year-old story-writing that is a mere insult to the viewer. The scene where Sherry and here mother suddenly start some kind of 'streetdance' along the road is not some kind of comic relief, neither does it have some kind of strange 'symbolism', it's just plain silly.

Moreover, plot elements are just dipped into this movie as if it were a great pan of soup. The one minute, Nancy is alive and well, the other minute, she's dead in the pit without any further explanation. Harry, who has become more and more sadistic and manipulative, just stares blankly at Sherry and Mad Ax as they leave with the van, giving him more than enough time to intervene. It seems that the only person with consistency in her character is Sherry.

However, it must be said that some genuine tension is present, and the whole concept of a semi-cult leader intimidating his followers is convincing.

This movie is the equivalent of trying to sleep while your neighbors are fighting. Every time when the noise fades and you *just* feel comfortable enough to go back to sleep, the noise suddenly comes back.

If it weren't for the good acting (the lead actors definitely 'rescued' this film) and the great music, I'd say that this movie is an all-out slap in the face for anybody who expects a decent indie-movie.