IMDb > Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (2004) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

This ain't a game...

Author: dee.reid from United States
26 November 2004

...It's an epic! "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" has to be the greatest video game ever made. I've been playing the game almost everyday since it dropped on October 26th and I'm still not even half way through it. That goes to show you just HOW MUCH thought and detail was put into its production.

While this "GTA" title is a massive improvement over the previous two, it doesn't just surpass them in terms of graphics and gameplay, it surpasses them by building on the many things that made them great in the first place, and then some.

I've been a massive fan and player of the "GTA" titles on the PS2 since the revolutionary "Grand Theft Auto III" was released in 2001 and its 1980s prequel/sequel "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City," which dropped in the early fall of 2002.

"GTA: SA" puts a lot of its focus on Carl "C.J." Johnson, who returns to the city of San Andreas and the minute he steps off the plane, he runs into trouble. Trouble comes in the form of two corrupt cops who have him set up to take the fall in the murder of a police officer, and C.J. finds that his old neighborhood of Ganton is in shambles.

His mother has passed, many of his childhood friends are into gangbanging, and many of the families have since dissolved their relationships with one another. What follows is a statewide odyssey for C.J. that will take him out of his Ganton ghetto and into the flash and glitter of the casinos in Las Venturas a la Las Vegas.

From the get-go, you're entranced by a thoughtful storyline that has you doing a lot more than just missions so that you can earn "respect"; you become a significant part of the story, or more accurately, you become the story. Whereas the previous two titles had you doing things to further your position, not a whole lot of weight or thought was put into your motivations in those games.

It is true that this game was heavily influenced by the hip hop culture of the 90s, and many rap artists are prominently featured on the soundtrack, including Dr. Dre, Snoop [Doggy] Dogg, Public Enemy (Chuck D is the "Forth Right MC"), Big Daddy Kane, Eric B. & Rakim, Ice Cube, Cypress Hill, 2Pac, and N.W.A. And also, references to many "'hood" movies from this time are in abundance, namely "South Central," "Menace II Society," and "Boyz N the Hood" (be on the lookout for a "Tre" look-alike wandering about).

Author: Ed Bennett from London, England
8 December 2004

And the best of the GTA series by far. It just has so much more to do than Vice City and GTA3. In fact, there is so much to do, it's impossible to everything I think! I think it has a better story than the other GTA games, and of course there is just so much more you can do like to your character.

The first time I got this game, I didn't think it was anything special, not at all. The missions got me cursing at the PS2 and had in a fit of rage because of how frustrating they were. But now I'm really enjoying the missions and everything else about the game.

I have been playing on this everyday since I first got it, and will likely being doing so throughout the year 2005.

Rating: 10/10

Grand Hood

Author: au_law2001 from Philippines
15 January 2005

Another successful GTA game is here and it's great. What more can I say? From the Liberty City to the streets of Los Santos San Andreas, CJ must find out his mother's killer at the same time, bring the gang back together and bring the streets back to the Grove. Wow, they depicted California and the West Coast in the early 90s, and it was cool, no to mention the city that is supposed to be Las Vegas. Speaking of which, I was one of those who believed that this game was to be in las Vegas. Those old rumors regarding 'Sin City', hence the name, and it would mostly include gambling. But those rumors were just rumors. But hey, this game is just so hard boiled and great. There are new features, an eating system, where you have to keep your energy up, and at the same time making him full, and an exercise system, where you have to keep him buff, so he will develop strength, and so you can give people a hard punch. And now, you can develop driving skills too, and the weapons you use, the skill will also be upgraded too. And everything else from the previous GTA games are in it, the gameplay, the driving, it's here. Great. Marvelous. Keep it up Rockstar. Recommended for the fans of the games.

Probably the biggest game ever made (at least it is for 2005)

Author: PeteRoy from Tel-Aviv, Israel
16 July 2005

Talent, that's the first thing I want to say, to be able to make so much in 1 year must take a lot of talent and dedication, and to make fun out of so much must take even more talent.

Look at other games like Half-Life 2, that game took Valve 6 years to make and it is a lot smaller than San Andreas, Valve might have some laid back lazy developers who take their time. I think Rockstar and Valve are about the same size of company and even though Valve made a new engine for Half-Life 2, you would expect it to take less than 6 years to be made, same is true for Doom 3.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is probably the biggest game ever made.

After Vice City and Liberty city you'd think they might run out of passion, ideas, or powers. I mean don't they get tired of making such a huge game every 2 years, Valve and id Software will probably not release a new game for the next 6 years and Rockstar releases such a big game every 2 years.

Apart from it being insanely great game and a lot of fun, this game is HUGE, I can't think of any game bigger than this when I write these lines, you have 3 big cities, connected by big country side and deserts with a lot of nice areas to find in the desert and the country side.

Other games of 2004 and 2005 like Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry Battlefield 2, are all big games, but none of them is as big is San Andreas.

And none of them allow you the amount of gameplay opportunities as San Andreas allows you to play, you can be everything you want, a cop, a medic, a firefighter, taxi driver, thief, pilot, pimp, train driver, construction worker, gambler, gangster, lover, valet. You can also change your hair, put tattoos, change your clothes, eat, exercise, and much more.

I salut to Rockstar for having such a great talent, skill, dedication, and nonstop art passion and motivation.

Great game gets better!

Author: weaponx15 from Round Rock, TX
26 October 2004

This new GTA could easily be called one of the greatest games ever made. To answer some questions without spoiling too much, yes there is a 2-player mode, you are visited by characters from Vice City and GTA 3 (Ken Rosenburg, Kent Paul, and Love Fist). The graphics are a lot better and cleaner, less glitches. San Andreas doesn't seem to be as character driven mainly because of the lack of a character screen while portions of the game loads. This game, like the previous ones seem to recall some of the early '90s "ghetto" movies. CJ's hood looks like it came straight from "Boyz In the Hood". And the characters have colorful names such as Big Smoke, Ryder, and my favorite, B-Dup! All in all, a great game and a must for any fan of the GTA series.

An Amazing Imersive Experience

Author: drgnifty from Vice City, FL
6 November 2004

This review I'm writing is just on what i have accomplished. I have been playing this game for a total of 20 hours. I love to take it slow and really walk around and explore. The amount of detail and stuff to do, is incredible. The gameplay is as solid as ever. the story sucks you in like very little video games do these days. I have only gotten up to the second city, San Fierro. I've done a few missions but mostly I'm just looking around, I can't help it! I've been a fan of the GTA series since GTA2. The fever died down after a while though. When GTA3 came out I was amazed how they totally blew every other game out of the water. GTA3 to this day is one of my favorite games of all time, over Vice City even. this games is starting to become a huge time suck, which means this game is awesome. I'll finish this review when ever I finish it. For now, 10 out of 10!

BEST GAME EVER. 10 out of 10

Author: original_wieners from nowhere special
26 October 2004

I Got A Copy Of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Last Night At 6:30 P.M. A Day Early. And I Must Say This Is Hands Down The Best Game I Have Ever Played. I Only Stopped Playing Because I Had To Go To School. But When I Get Home I Will Be Back Playing It. There Are So Many New Features. Like Swimming, Playing Basketball, Riding Bikes, Shooting Pool, There Are Too Many New Features To Type Here Not To Mention That The Game Is 5 Times Bigger Than Vice City And NEVER Loads Outside. I Give This Game A Perfect 10 Out Of 10. Nothing Can Beat This Game Except Maybe A Sequel.

Another great "Grand Theft Auto" game.

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
22 June 2005

Just picked up the PC version of this game recently. I've been waiting months.

I don't play video games so much anymore (I guess it's both an age thing and a time-thing) but I typically make a special effort to get the newest GTA games when they come out on PC. I own the last three (GTAIII, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas) and each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

I liked the hard, visceral edge of GTA III and, of course, the novelty -- it was the first of its kind. I loved the bright, "Scarface"/Mafia-edge of "Vice City," which spoofed a lot of famous movies. Also, the voice talents -- Ray Liotta and Burt Reynolds, to name but two -- were the best of any of the games so far.

GTA San Andreas is good because it has a lot of new additions. The AI of citizens is better. The city is larger, the graphics seem better (at least on PC), the free roam options are improved (you can jump up onto/over gates and houses, now), the radio stations are better and more diverse, etc.

At the same time it's got some problems. For starters, I prefer the style of Vice City's Miami Beach spin-off. San Andreas is essentially set in the early '90s gangsta hoods (what Vice was to "Scarface" this is to "Boyz in the Hood"), and at the risk of sounding racist, I'll merely say I do not think the city is as fun to look at or explore (in most ways). Vice City was great fun to just cruise around your car in, and the setting was really exotic. San Andreas is grungy, run-down and ugly, basically because it's a ghetto and I don't think anyone will deny ghettos are ugly. That's the point, obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that as a game, the settings aren't as nice to look at.

I don't like CJ, the main character, as much as Tommy Vercetti. Tommy was a bada$$: tough, cool, ruthless, savvy, stylish. CJ is a hoodlum, and your point in the game is to "gain respect" and rule your old turf and claim it back from the scum -- to be honest I just found CJ a step down from Tommy. Young Maylay has good vocal talents (he voices CJ) but I preferred Ray Liotta. No, it's not because I'm white. It's because I'm a fan of "GoodFellas." The bonuses are that the world is more explorable and the missions are better, more detailed cars, better radio stations, funner commercials, etc.

Axl Rose supplies the voice of DJ Tommy "The Nightmare" Smith, of K-DST. He's got a lot of good self-referential lines ("As I've said before, all you need's a little patience...") and his quips to callers are great. (One person calls in complaining that '80s rock is dead and he cusses him out.) I found that a nice touch, and rare, since Axl never seems to leave his house anymore. Also, it shows he has a nice sense of humor about himself.

The rest of the radio stations are classic - the commercials are hilarious, the songs are the best yet (I prefer rock music but those who like rap will love it too - it's got plenty).

Overall this is another great GTA game with its own pros and cons. I do overall prefer Vice City a bit just because I really loved where that game was set and everything about it. But then again my original review of Vice City I submitted to IMDb says I liked GTAIII better when I first started playing Vice City, so...

For some people I'm sure the content of this game will be a turn-off, especially the middle-class white Americans who played the previous two famous GTA games. This has much more foul language and is quite gritty.

I didn't like some of it merely because I was expecting better surroundings and I missed the character of Tommy. Hopefully he'll come back in one of the later games, even if it's just a cameo.

But it is a great game and I can't really spot any flaws that would indicate it's "worse" than the others. It's about on par, with some great improvements in graphics and AI in particular. Also, the sound is top-notch and the game seems more realistic. That's always cool.

best game i've got yet !

Author: bputu from Australia
11 February 2005

when i got this game i was so excited and i couldn't wait to play it once i played it, i was in the zone i really enjoyed it and now is the only game i play, i also like the characters in this game especially the crooked cop Officer Tenpenny who is voiced by no other than Samuel L Jackson who i thought suited the character very well and some of the cinematic sequences was almost like a real movie with the characters attitude towards each other.I found this game very amusing because the cities remind you of America itself even though i haven't been there yet.Who ever gets this game should thank themselves for getting it i give this game 10/10 this is a good upgrade from vice city.

The best of the series

Author: Luke
16 July 2005

In my opinion this video game has to be the best far off out of all the Grand Theft Auto games. Why? Well, because the map is bigger (6x) than the predecessor and I like the new environment which is based on the city of California, USA.

Apart from all the stunning effects in-game there are some really good actors/actresses who I think were chosen carefully for the part. Samuel L. Jackson who plays Officer Frank Tenpenny is perfect for the baddie. Young Maylay who plays C.J. is not a known actor to me but from seeing him voice the part of the character he makes a great job of it and there will most likely be possibilities for him in the future.

Overall, the game is by far the most addicting one I have EVER played in my life and Rockstar have done a brilliant job of it. Now that it is available on the PC and Xbox there are more possibilities available. I hope if a next series is made (which I think is likely because of good sales of San Andreas) it will have the same sort of feel and offer even more playing hours for thousands of people across the world. The game gets a 9 out of 10 from me.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]