IMDb > "The Eagle" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Ørnen: En krimi-odyssé"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Eagle" More at IMDbPro »"Ørnen: En krimi-odyssé" (original title)

Excellent, don't be deterred by subtitles

Author: boogiebob from Kentucky, United States
20 April 2011

First off, I have no problem with subtitles. I know plenty of people that won't consider watching a non English speaking movie/TV that requires subtitles. Absolutely do not let that stop you from seeing this if you get the chance.

If you watch several episodes, you had better plan on watching all 3 seasons. You will be hooked. Be aware that the program flows from one episode to another. Some episodes can stand alone, though will not be nearly as good as when watched in sequence. There is a lot of intriguing suspense that is low key, not overly fast moving so one has time to savor it. Builds well. I highly recommend that you start from the beginning of the series if at all possible.

The recap of the previous episode, shown at the beginning of each, is well done and succinctly refreshes one's memory. Photography and editing are good, not a lot of jerky camera work and fast frame editing (personal peeve of mine). Lots of good scenery and locations in Scandinavian countries.

I won't go over each character, but IMO they are all well cast. Hallgrim, the "Eagle" is the lead character, but the writers manage well to keep him from overshadowing the others. He doesn't monopolize things. Marie, I found to be rather sexy in an understated way. Michael probably sets more than a few female viewer's hearts atwitter.

Hallgrim is a talented, driven man. But not without his all too human flaws, which give him some depth. That's another thing I liked about the treatment of the show's regulars, each has depth, not glib or two dimensional.

Don't start watching this unless you have at least the first season available. And start from the beginning!

Great Police Drama from Denmark

Author: wythepress from Maine
15 September 2012

I've been streaming "The Eagle" on our Roku this week. What a gem! Produced in Denmark, it is a great series with stunningly beautiful shots of the Icelandic landscape, various other parts of Scandinavia, with very haunting theme music. You have to read subtitles but get used to it and will end up learning a bit of Danish. Hallgrimm is such a strong but flawed lead character and the series is so well written-watch it if you can. Jens Albinus is a wonderful actor.The rest of the supporting cast represent very believable characters. Each episode ties to the last. Watch one episode and you'll be watching all 24.A very entertaining diversion.

Smooth and versatile depiction of a Danish investigation team

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia
29 March 2013

Despite the series is named after a leading character (a half-Icelandic half-Danish police officer named Halgrim Ørn Hallgrimsson, nicknamed Ørnen or the Eagle), the events are not totally focused on and related to him, allowing the other major characters be deliberated and contribute as well (unlike in the British interpretation of Wallander, for example). The viewers can share their feelings, recognize their human values through present and childhood, how their job affects their private life, see them making mistakes or misjudgments etc. Everyone has his or her role and place in the Unit, but they are all-rounders, not specialists in a narrow field. And there is no black-and-white depiction of the good and the bad.

Unlike most of crime series, the cases are related or arising from a certain case; this provides more reality to the events happening (it is not realistic when there are frequent crimes in a small city or parish), but - on the other hand - it is recommended to watch it chronologically and more often than weekly as there are constant references to past events and incidents. And as the Unit deals with crimes with international links, the members have to travel and have good contacts with partners in neighboring countries and from international organizations. I find it excellent that the creators had the desire and funds to film in respective locations and employ international actors speaking their mother tongue (Ørnen is multilingual, speaking at least 5 languages). The cast is evenly strong as well, including the finest Danish actress Ghita Nørby (as Thea Nellemann). And what a fine choice of music and references to Icelandic sagas and ancient mythology! Highly recommended, especially in countries with Nordic comprehension and background. Of course, you have to dedicate some time - there are 24 episodes each for about an hour.

Great Show

Author: jmdaley1 from United States
12 August 2013

This series is wonderful to watch. You come to love the characters and appreciate how the characters react to one another and to the circumstances in which they find themselves. Like all TV shows, it is difficult to believe that they can actually escape some of the situations they find themselves in, and there are some technical errors and plot holes, but I really enjoyed the "European" approach to crime and drama which you simply do not see in American shows (no ditzy lab assistant or "funny" characters). This series is not quite up to the standards of the Swedish "Girl" Trilogy, but it is thoroughly enjoyable. My actual rating would be 8.3 out of 10, but I don't have that choice.

I believe this program would play well in the U.S., even with

Author: smfranklin008 from United States
28 March 2013

Ran across this on Netflix. An absolute gem! Great cast, great stories. great acting. Love the scenery shown in the various Nordic countries. Great villains (the kind you love to see taken down). Some of the plots were a bit over the top and the solutions kind of contrived and implausible, but even at that the writers did a great job of building the suspense to the very end.

confession: I am and will always be,in total love with Marie. None of the other women Hallgrimson messed with could hold a candle to her (enough of that)

My biggest problem was that it was hard to not watch 2 or 3 episodes at a sitting. it took less than 3 weeks for me to see all 3 seasons! Overall one of the best TV crime shows I have ever seen.

Spoiler Alert! The only thing I hated was that they saw the need to kill off Nazim (the only minority by the way).

A mixed bag

Author: GilBlas from United States
27 January 2013

I have no problem with subtitles; indeed, I number among my favorite series "Wallander," "Beck," and "Van Veeteren," all three Swedish productions, and the French series "Spiral." What those three series – what any good series – offer are complex, realistic characters and plots. "The Eagle" is a mixed bag in both respects.

The title refers to the nickname of the main character, Hallgrim Ørn Hallgrimsson, whose middle name is Icelandic for eagle. The Eagle heads the operational side of a Danish government organization specializing in fighting international crime involving Denmark. The organization includes the usual cast of characters: a computer whiz, a forensics expert or two, a jack-of-all-trades tough guy, a blond love interest for The Eagle. The characters all have back stories (the most extensive, and oddest, being that of the main character), but the back stories lacked the depth necessary for me to feel emotionally invested in any of the characters.

The series spans 24 episodes, all of which can be viewed by streaming from Netflix. Each episode is about one hour in length, and the individual stories span two to three episodes. The series relies heavily on super villains: criminals who seemingly are able to go anywhere, kill anyone, elude the police at will, and who have an army of henchmen at their beck and call. The first of these, Sergei, serves to illustrate some of the series' shortcomings. After killing four people at an airport – including two policemen and a security guard – while masterminding the ruse of an airliner hijacking, Sergei is taken into custody. Despite these crimes, he is transferred from one facility to another in a passenger car, his only escort being the police officers in the car with him. If you can't see where this is heading, you will enjoy this series. After his escape, Sergei kills several more people, traveling between Denmark and Norway seemingly at will, before again being captured. This time when he is transported, to a ministry for questioning, the police have their act together – sort of. He is transported in a van with a heavily-armed SWAT team and motorcycle escort. Just about everybody involved is wearing body armor, except, of course, Sergei. And, just as unbelievably, the police fail to take the obvious precaution of securing the perimeter at their destination. Again, you know where this is headed. Plot contrivances that keep villains in play are effective when they are plausible and they take the viewer by surprise, but often that is not the case in this series. (As an aside, the actor who plays Sergei, Thomas Gabrielsson, plays one of the lead characters in "The Protectors," a series about the Danish Personal Protection Unit, an organization similar to the US Secret Service, a series that, in my opinion, is superior to "The Eagle.")

Don't get me wrong: this is not a bad series, especially when compared to most of what the American TV industry produces: production values are high; the cinematography is good; the European settings are a nice change from those of American and British productions; the cast is competent; the stories are OK. My disappointment is that it could easily have been better.

Outstanding Crime Type Show -- Denmark setting a BONUS!

Author: debcp from United States
19 November 2012

I have no trouble with subtitles either -- in films. And when they are on TV, or you rent them, you can easily rewind. On Netflix, which is where I found The Eagle, rewinding is not as simple or easy. And at first, I found it a little difficult being able to read all the lines AND still have time to see the character's faces, expressions, and the setting in general. But, I soon got the hang of it, and boy was it worth it. What a great switch from American TV, which has gotten so lame. We have a few great shows, but then, we have so much junk, too. When you see something like this from another country, you really notice the differences. The Eagle's main character is also a seriously good guy, who is GREAT at his job. But he isn't perfect (professionally), and boy howdy, not personally either . . . what a RELIEF.

The Eagle has bad guys, but not to the point of being ridiculous cartoons. The story telling seems more honest, realistic, low key - even subtle. It's refreshingly different, not to mention interesting. Yes, this is STILL television, folks - but you get the impression that you are still learning a few accurate things about Denmark, Danes, Danish culture, international law enforcement, and even other world cultures.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT: non-US TV is less 'sanitized' - so expect your heart to not only be filled from time to time, but to be broken now and then as well. Unlike too many American shows, not every store has a happy or tidy ending, and the Eagle is a bit more honest that you might be used to. Even so, it's well, well, worth it. And if you like this, by all means try THE PROTECTORS next - a 2-season, 20-episode GEM by the same creative team. Both shows will leave you begging for MORE...

Most Underrated Foreign Series (For English speaking folks)

Author: acbuxton from California
22 July 2016

When I think of Ørnen, The Eagle, and though I am still watching it although almost finished, I wonder why this show has not been broadcast throughout the world. From the start, this series develops the characters, who you soon learn to love, dislike, fell pity for, want to punch, etc. A show with this ability deserves A+ from me. These characters transform, and when I say transform, it's as while watching the series, you are experiencing the transformation of every character. An unbelievable job well done. Ørnen manages to hook you, and not let you go. The stories vary, so think of it not as whodunit, or a MI5, or drugs.. Think of all of that together, and I say beautifully woven. Then we have, The Eagle, the star of the show (#1 in character development) who is a loner, however see's from different angles, and isn't anywhere near perfect, Chief of Police. Icelandic born, speaking several languages, you start to wonder. You will know if you watch this series, who is The Eagle? Who is he really? Such an amazing show that I hope all get to watch. 7.5 with 999 reviews doesn't cut for this screenwriter!

Great Alternative Entertainment

Author: jasrun2 from Mexico
11 March 2013

I do not have 'regular' television. US and Mexican TV drives me crazy, so now I watch Netflix, Amazon, and rent / buy movies. A logical sequence to finding these great programs, is The Millennium Trilogy', Annika Bengtzon Crime Reporter, The Eagle, and I have not yet looked The Protectors.

At times the plots are a little complicated, but that makes re-viewing even better. Great character studies, insight into other cultures, no moronic commercials, free, what can be better!

I have not finished the first season yet, but am very happy that that are many more yet to see.

A very good show (small spoiler)

Author: mms3rd from Lawrence, Kansas
27 August 2014

I really enjoyed this show when it was available on Netflix. I bought the DVD's from Amazon but the region free player I bought to play the discs was crap. I am disappointed that the discs are not available for play on US players.

The main story about the lead investigator (Hallgrim...The Eagle....he sees things from the big picture) interesting though ultimately collapses into the re-tread plot of most British and Scandinavian shows (inappropriate sex).

The first three episodes were best for me...the Russian bad guy Sergej was really good and the cat and mouse with The Eagle was interesting. That actor stars in the Danish The Protectors...and is quite good there.

Later episodes seemed to overuse the plots of so many British and American shows....but I guess it is fair that the foreign police procedurals use the same criminal issues faced across the globe.

The show gives good insight into the multi-cultural nature of the European countries. Unlike a show like MI-5 there is not criticism of U.S. policies as I recall.

Sufficient to say that the main characters are interesting, the acting is good, the scenery and venues are good and the theme song is awesome.