IMDb > "Touching Evil" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Touching Evil" More at IMDbPro »

USA's "Touching Evil": Brilliant Show

Author: rekka from Grand Rapids, MI
8 June 2004

In the wake of many popular television shows coming to an end, whether it be the series finale of "Friends" or "Frasier" or the cancellation of such beloved shows as "Angel" and "Miracles", USA ventures to redefine the crime genre with the remake of a British series of the same name, "Touching Evil".

Starring Jeffrey Donovan and Vera Farmiga, the show starts off unlike any other crime drama before with its surrealistic pan angles, colors and especially creepy background music composed by the Ross brothers (Error and 12 Rounds) and Claudia Sarne. Donovan's character Detective David Creegan is just returning to duty after a three-year long medical leave after surviving a gunshot wound to the head. He is no longer the same man, husband, father or cop as he used to be.

"Touching Evil" is so rich in character development that it is impossible not to become attached to one or more characters on the show. The smallest bits of interacting between characters serves as a device to explore different aspects of the characters that you normally would have seen otherwise. For example, in the episode "Grief", Chief Hank Enright is speaking with Jay Swopes on the telephone and proceeds to spell a person's name. Swopes responds, saying that normally it's I before E, whereas the name is spelled with E before I. It's such a minor and unrelated detail plot wise that makes for the impact. Such character details helps to make these people real, people we can relate to and grow to love. Even the snarky Bernal, who is always out to slander Creegan any chance he gets, grows personally to the point where we have to like him, if just a little bit. In short, the characters on this show are dynamic, every one.

If you haven't seen this show, you're really missing out. I expect at least one Emmy nomination for the outstanding lead roles by Jeffrey Donovan and Vera Farmiga--they both did such a terrific job and they deserve to be recognized for their hard work. "Touching Evil" fans are anxiously awaiting news of renewal for a second season. So far, I am placing much more faith in cable networks than I dare to with broadcast networks. I only hope that USA will continue to come through for us "Touching Evil" fans. USA, don't let us down!

Great crime series!

Author: Stibbert from Norway
1 September 2005

After being gone for a year after being shot in the head David Creegan return to the OSC, Organized and Serial Crime Unit and join up with his new partner Susan Branca. Only thing is, while being a good cop, his injury has caused some minor abnormalities.

If you think that this is just another series about hard cops fighting crime, you're wrong. This series is more about the humans involved. You'll get to follow Creegan just as much in his personal as well as his professional life. Now, that is nothing new. Many series are like that, but no one is like Touching Evil. After a long term coma Creegan's life has changed in many ways and him finding his way to get along with his new way of life is an important part of the series.

This series is a nice mix of drama, thriller and action. It has the characters with stories and personality. You really get to know them. There is the thriller element of hunting the suspect witch is often very suspense and well done. While it's a kind of serious series, Creegan's condition, the fact that he, among other things don't have shame, add a comic element to it all. He might do or say the craziest thing in very odd situations, yet this comes as well written lines. They are never out of place.

The acting are very good. Jeffrey Donovan does a great job as Creegan and there is no lack of talent among the others neither. You should also take note of the music and the cinematography. These two elements gives the series it's own look and style. The cinematography looks great and you'll find some rather original shots. When it comes to the music this has it's own style witch I think is just great.

If you like crime I would recommend Touching Evil. If you don't I'll recommend it anyway!

Have no preconceived notions!

Author: Amy from Tampa, FL
12 September 2004

Reading through these comments on Touching Evil I have come to the conclusion that if you were expecting the show to be a carbon copy of the British original, you were sorely disappointed. HOWEVER, if you allowed the show to be it's own entity, you were instantly struck by how different from your average US TV drama it actually is.

First of all, the principal actor, Jeffrey Donovan, is no Robson Green (from the original BBC series). He is, however, a phenomenal Method actor in his own right and should be congratulated at nailing such a complex character so perfectly. Secondly, it should also be said that the persons responsible for all the negative commentary on this particular thread have never commented on the obvious quality and chemistry of the other cast members: an amazingly important thing in ANY show. And thirdly, none of the detractors have said that they bothered to see any other episodes besides the pilot. Pilots, as a rule, are always the roughest draft of any television program and should therefore be given the greatest leeway.

For those of you who are true fans, there is a website petition for giving this show a second season:

The sign up is privacy protected and the information is only used for the petition itself.

In summation, PLEASE have no preconceived notions that this is going to be the same as the BBC original. If you're that into the British version, I'm sure you can find the three episodes that were aired somewhere online on DVD.

Almost didn't watch this, glad I did.

Author: jazzycate
24 March 2004

I am a huge fan of the original BBC series "Touching Evil" with Robson Green. US remakes of Brit TV have been largely disappointing in my opinion. I expected this to be t he same. I was pleasantly surprised. I LOVED IT. It is not the same show, and this is good. I think the biggest problem with some remakes is attempting to make a straight copy. This show has an identity all its own, although it is based on the same premise as t he British version. I found myself sucked in to the story and glued to the set, so to s peak. Jeffery and Vera are believable in their rolls as the two lead characters of David a nd Susan. Jeffrey's performance was unexpected, he showed great vulnerability, without l osing his leading-man presence. I was very impressed. The dialogue is well written, w ith plenty of dark, wry humor thrown in. The show was well-paced, with an appropriate a mount of action and suspense. Didn't find a minute of the two first episodes u nwatchable. Please give it a chance so that we can find out just where this show can t ake us. Especially since they don't seem to be making any more of the original series. Try it, you'll like it!

One of the best/my favorite shows on TV in 2004!

Author: George Schaefer (texasorby@yahoo.com) from Dallas, Texas, US
8 June 2004

There is so much about TOUCHING EVIL that keeps me coming back for more. >From the moment the series intro each week begins, I'm hooked like a fish that just swallowed his bait! Suddenly I realize that I'm listening to NINE INCH NAILS! (I've been a big fan forever of NIN for a long time!!!) There's something hypnotic about the intro though that seems oddly familiar.

It's like watching the SIX FEET UNDER beginning. Both are beautifully executed and stunning to watch, week after week. Neither seems to get old!

The cast in the series appears to work well with one another, too! Always a feeling of more than meets the eye, you're left wondering when their story will be told. Of course this is the first (of hopefully many) season so too early to say! Let's hope we get more seasons to flesh out each of the characters!

The high speed filming process used in scene transitions really is quite beautiful! San Francisco never looked so good! Sometimes I wonder if I'm at an art exhibit, mesmerized by the imagery shown!

excellent first episode, but the rest of the episodes are not as good..

Author: dexterv from California, usa
23 April 2004

the premiere 2hr episode of this series was excellent, it was intense in your face and takes no prisoner, well worth the hype. but now that the show's been on for a few weeks, the stories are not as intense and interesting anymore, just your basic formularic cop show with creegan doing random weird things.

some critics compares this show to law & order: criminal intent, because of the quirky main character, but story-wise touching evil falls short when compare to Criminal intent.

the show's Star jefferey donovan is great actor, and the rest of the cast are just as good, but the story doesn't live up to the show's potential.

hope the show improves back to the quality of the premiere episode.

Looking Forward to the TV Series!

Author: whpratt1 from United States
10 April 2004

Greatly enjoyed this pilot film and look forwarding to seeing this series on USA. Jeffrey Donovan,(Detective Dave Creegan),"Final Draft",'03, managed to have a bullet go through his head and still managed to recover and start back to work for the FBI on a sort of trial basis. Dave gets wild at times and poor Vera Farmiga,(Detective Susan Branca),"Dummy",'02, manages to put up with all his crazy outburst and the beating up of suspects. Dave manages to find three boys who have been kidnapped and hidden in a very mysterious place to find. Vera Farmiga, and Jeffrey Donovan are like magic together on the screen and I definitely look forward to seeing the future series on TV.

One of the Best

Author: rekka
3 April 2004

I can't vouch for the original UK version of "Touching Evil" but I can easily say without any difficulty whatsoever that I am throughly enjoying this drama series. With so many other great shows getting the axe early on, I haven't seen one thing on television that needed my attention let alone my full, undivided attention like "Touching Evil" demanded of me. I am typically not a fan of the crime/cop genre but within only the first couple minutes of the pilot episode I was sold. I didn't even get to see the opening 10 minutes or so the first time and I was still sold. I loved David Creegan--I never knew who Jeffrey Donovan was before this series and I think he's excellent for this role. I could just go on and on about this series... I am beyond joyous for another good show to be involved with after a year of drab television. I just hope USA will prove to be more worthy of my respect than the other "big name" networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc). I'm sticking by this show for good. *huggles "Touching Evil" and Jeffrey Donovan* =)

Very nice

Author: Drachaen
12 March 2004

With a soundtrack by Nine Inch Nails and a cast featuring Zach Grenier from Fight Club, Peter Wingfield from "Highlander: The Series" and headed up by Jeff Donovan (From Blair Witch 2) "Touching Evil" is a unique and oddly human crime drama.

Donovan plays his characters obsession and insanity with a deep sense of passion, focus and humanity making him more than simply "another crazy cop"

I intend to watch more of this. I enjoyed Donovan's performance exceedingly. I'd like to see the character continue to evolve. He's unpredictable which makes for cliché breaking television and he's very human and humane which makes for a sympathetic and invocative viewing experience.

I wish they could bring this show back from the dead

Author: centrd from San Diego
18 November 2014

wow...it's been ten years since this amazing show aired and exactly that long for me to discover it. How does something this mesmerizing get the axe while formulaic crime drama lives on...and spins off more of the same drivel?

The cast is outstanding. The chemistry is amazing. How could network execs not see that? Kind of a no-brainer ten minutes in. No surprise that Donovan goes on to a 7 year hit called "Burn Notice", and Bradley Cooper becomes a box office stud. But the people in charge with all their wisdom canceled it. Head scratching, for sure.

I binge watched yesterday, couldn't stop watching, then dreamed about the characters last night. Now that I've seen all the episodes, I feel like something's missing. I don't want to watch what's on t.v. now...I want more of THIS! I wish they'd bring it back from the dead, just like they brought back Creegan...with the same lead characters. It would be a huge hit today.

This one was truly special. Too bad the network didn't have the patience to see it through or, apparently, the skill to market it well enough to get it the notice it deserved.