MythBusters (TV Series 2003– ) Poster

(2003– )

54 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
One of the few shows on TV I actually make time for
Pythe28 November 2004
Rarely do we, the television audience, experience the privilege of a show that is equal parts educational and entertaining. Not that I'm learning anything from it, mind you, but other people very well might.

The simple premise is that our two hosts, Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, recreate the conditions of popular myths to verify or, as is more often the case, bust them. Of course, a premise alone does not a good show make. The fun comes from watching Jamie and Adam gleefully trounce the sometimes ridiculous stories. Adam is the energetic and outgoing one, taking every opportunity to goof off and make the work look more like play, whereas Jamie reacts to things with a much drier sense of humor and is somewhat more sarcastic. I was as disappointed as anyone upon learning of the inclusion of three "Jr. Mythbusters" for the second season, but my concern was ill-founded, as I realized that they had just as much personality as Jamie and Adam, and my conclusion is that anyone who thinks the show has gone downhill as a result of the new additions is simply averse to any change whatsoever. The show remains a favorite.

On a side note, you really have to admire how smart these guys are. Most of what they do can be traced back to physics, which makes me respect them all the more, based on my consistent inability to grasp the simplest of concepts in this particular field.
133 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The name says it all.
Robert W. Anderson18 January 2004
This show is nothing but fun. You can only hope that some of the individuals who pass on these urban myths will watch this and start using there head when it comes to passing on these ridiculous stories. That being said, it's a lot of fun watching these guys use science, engineering, and art to debunk, or in some cases prove possible some the stories we've all heard while growing up. Well worth watching, for all ages.
91 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Makes the scientific method fun!
flourish_and_blotts14 January 2004
I didn't think it was possible, but this show actually makes the scientific method fun. I love this show, and this is what I call good television. I think it's highly entertaining, and educational. Did you know most eel skin wallets or actually made out of hagfish? Just a snippet of what you might learn on this show. The two hosts also make a great team, Jamie with his sarcasm, and Adam is just crazy and hilarious. It's the only show I watch on discovery channel.
76 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great show!
Blkbush27 December 2004
Mythbusters is one of my 'don't miss it' programs.

I don't think I've ever seen quite the talent for destruction that Adam & Jamie share. Nearly every episode has to feature a myth involving things blowing up, or shattering into thousands of pieces. And I LOVE it!

Their enjoyment for what they do, whether seen in Adam's nearly boundless enthusiasm, or in Jamies much more controlled attitude, along with the well-known & lesser-known myths that are proved or 'busted' each week make Mythbusters a winner.

Highly entertaining, and educational.
61 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smart and funny
Stibbert23 September 2005
This show is genius. Take two crazy special effects guys and let them take the urban myths to the ultimate test. In each episode Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage test different myths to see if their actually true or just made up.

The two hosts are just perfect. They do a great job in making the whole thing crazy and funny. You feel like you get to know them. That is a good thing as it then gets more personal. The show is well directed and well written. The cinematography I think is cool. You see booms and cameras in the picture all the time, but that gives credibility to the show. It gives the impression that they're focusing at documenting the experiments and not on the look of the show. I like that kind of "rough" and incidental look of the show. When I say it's well written I mean well written. It's not coincidence where they go to get the stuff they need and so on, but they made it seem like it is. It's things like this that gives this show a nice down to earth feel. The fact that the two host obviously have a lot of fun when putting the myths to the test also reflect on the show and it makes you interested and makes you pay attention. If you start watching time flies. They also does a good job in letting us know what the experts think of the myth. This makes it all the more interesting as they will have to prove them wrong or right too.

Mythbusters is a show I can recommend. It's funny, it's intelligent and it's educational. It's science made cool.
33 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Discovery Channel's new hit
dokmartin18 February 2004
This show is, quite possibly, the coolest new show that has hit the telly in some time. I watch it every time it is on, and the new shows are getting better. The hosts play well off of each other. Jamie being the more serious one and Adam being the more hyper one. Watching them blow stuff up is good, as it feeds the pyromaniac that all people have. Hopefully the first season will come out on dvd soon. My only question is : What else have these two done? Their bios on IMdB are woefully uninlightening. I did not know that Jamie and his workshop, M5, were behind that cool Nike remote control car. I was floored when I found out. I see nothing but good thing from this show in the future. I wonder what they do with all the myths that they construct to use on the show? Hopefully. they keep them somewere in Jamie's shop. Will we see a Mythbusters exibit in the future? Stay tuned...
39 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"MythBusters" is the ultimate show on Discovery Channel!
Dani12 December 2005
I have watched the Discovery channel every since I was a little girl, and yes I have to admit they have had some pretty cool shows, but no matter how cool they are, they don't amount to "MythBusters".

"MythBusters" is a great show for those young and old. The hosts and Adam & Jamie, together, they have had lot's of experience working with special effects. Adam & Jamie take a myth, that maybe some people have heard of, and some people haven't, and they actually put it to the test, to see if it's a possibility that the myth could work. Sometimes they do, and sometimes the myths are busted, hence the name, "MythBusters".

Along with Jamie & Adam there's Buster, Buster is a crash-test dummy, who helps them along the way, cause let's face it, some of the stunts they do, aren't exactly safe. Also in the crew are 3 Jr. "MythBusters" and they do try to put smaller less harmful myths to the test.

So, that's basically the whole concept of the show, except, when a myth is busted, they try and do things just to see what could make the myth work, and usually that's where the fun part is.

So, if you like seeing people testing things to there limits and beyond, watch the "MythBusters" it's a great show, with a great cast, and lot's of action.
45 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best show out there
lpokeefe29 October 2005
It's ironic that "Mythbusters"- a show hosted by two (pyromaniac?) guys who look like my uncle Gordon that attempt to prove myths of all strifes false- is the best show out there, trumping all the sitcoms, dramas, news-hours, sports programs and "car" shows out there. Why? Well, Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman have figured out how to entertain, and they've got it down to a science.

Hyneman is the more reserved of the two hosts, and also the most memorable, with his penchant for cleanliness and his neat beret. He's usually the one who figures out the basics of a myth and possible ways to "bust" it. Savage is the younger, louder and more energetic one of the two. He usually comes up with the "rigs" used to test the myths. Both are intensely crazy and cool, and are the kind of guys that I look up to, even if they are obsessed with explosions.

Supporting these two wackjobs are a team of nutties that I happen to like very much, collectively called the "Build Team". The two that have stuck around are Kari Byron, a beautiful, enigmatic woman who fits the show well; and Tory Belleci, who I don't like very much, as he's a bit of a camera hog, and tends to play the idiot. Two others left just before the second season ended: Scottie Chapman, who is easily the best of the builders, as she is very intelligent, works well with the others, and is the embodiment of cool. Christine Chamberlain is not a personal favorite of mine, as she seems too serious to be around the rest of these guys and doesn't share everyone else's sense of fun and humor. Coming in at the end of the second season is Grant Imahara, who, while not the best builder, could well be the definitive cast member: a smart, humorous guy who is slightly nerdy and is an electronics expert.

All in all, this nutso gang attempt to "bust" myths of all sorts, from Civil War legends to modern high-tech tales. Not once have their attempts to try out a myth seem contrived, calculated or (most of all) deadly serious. And yet, they manage to deliver educational material along with their terrific sense of fun. Everybody could like this show, from teachers to scientists, from little kids to their hard-nosed parents. I wholeheartedly recommend this show. It, for me, is the benchmark against which all nonfiction shows are measured, and is the second best show of all time.
46 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Started out great, went downhill recently
DrLex3 March 2014
This used to be one of my most favorite TV shows ever. It was the first show I looked up on IMDb so I could rate it a 10. It has never been entirely rigorously scientific, but that would have been too boring anyway. In the first seasons they managed to strike a great balance between sensation and scientific validity. Initially each episode spent quite a bit of time showing how Jamie and Adam constructed their experiments, which made it quite educational.

Then it gradually went downhill. The attention for how the experiments were built, was gradually reduced with every new season. Until 2013 however it never reached a level where the show was reduced to all style and no substance. Then however, episodes started popping up that were obviously intended to promote some other Discovery show. This only got worse with the 2014 season which started with a Star Wars special that gave a forced impression like "someone paid us to spend an entire episode on this franchise that has no ground in reality at all".

Then came the live Twitter pop-ups, which I find horribly annoying. Every thirty-something seconds there is this moving rectangle in the corner of the screen that grows to cover a substantial area of the image. I do not care at all about the text inside it. Having comments from random viewers shoved in my face is like watching YouTube and being forced to read the inane comments below the video. Ignoring these pop-ups is nearly impossible due to the attention-grabbing animation and the simple fact that they cover essential parts of the image. Please, please stop superimposing this junk on the broadcast. TV is not interactive and I like it that way, so do not pretend it is by feeding us these obviously heavily moderated tweets. Anyone who badly wants to read live tweets can see them on any other device they like.

My dwindling respect for this show got another hit when I stumbled upon a report of some episodes being unauthorized re-makes of copyrighted material, like the "airplane boarding" episode which never aired in the USA because the lawsuit is still ongoing. I still have respect for Jamie and Adam because I tend to believe they just go with what their producers hand them, and most of all, because of all the years of televised enjoyment they offered me. Yet I am afraid that if MB continues on its current trajectory, I will have to say it goodbye.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic series
Sintek17 October 2003
I rank this up there with "Junkyard Wars" in the Discovery channel's edutainment lineup. Every day myths to obscure urban legends are tested and either proved or busted in entertaining and sometimes educational experiments.

Recommended for Urban Legend buffs or anyone with any amount of interest in Science.
34 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this