About the Looking for and the Finding of Love More at IMDbPro »Vom Suchen und Finden der Liebe (original title)

a movie for those who already experienced true love

Author: caspare from Berlin, Germany
26 February 2005

The movie is excellent and one of the few deeply touching me. I had tears in my eyes all the way home. It is a wonderful movie about "true love" and what "true love" on this world really means. It shows that even the greatest love on Earth can not stand the persistence of memory, the impermanence of the body and the insignificance of all our day to day actions. While it doubtlessly demystifies "true love" on one side, on the other side it shows how powerful it is and that the world is empty, dark and meaningless without it. Especially the casting of Alexandra Maria Lara as "Venus Morgenstern" is as brilliant as it gets. She is not only a stunning beauty; she also has so much soul and amiability in her eyes, she should get an academy award for it. The movie basically is re-telling the story of Orpheus and Eurydice from Greek mythology. For this, it is re-using the wonderful music of Christoph Willibald Gluck's Opera. The scenes in the underworld are generally well done, but when Venus (aka Eurydice) sings out her love for Mimi (aka Orpheus), even the God Hermes starts crying and EVERYBODY in the movie theatre will start crying too. However, the movie has one big drawback. The movie is a mirror: it makes only sense to people who have already experienced deep love and loss in their life. For all the others, it will be just "kind of a weird story" as some of the comments here already show. The movie comes with a reflection of feelings of love and loss but only to those who already learned about this before. For the others, it will certainly just be a quite silly comedy. I hope the small group of the others will prevail. This movie is not mainstream.

beautiful

Author: Magdalena J from germany
27 October 2005

i watched "vom suchen und finden der liebe" on DVD. the movie is about love, which is quite obvious after the title...but its also funny. the thing i love about that movie is, that it goes deeper than most other romantic movies. and it shows aspects of love and relationships which are often left out in films. it wraps up the orpheus and euridyke story, in a total new perspective... the actors did a really good job, i think, and there are 2 guest stars, we know from German TV... i think the cast is just great! i recommend this movie wholeheartedly to everyone who strongly enough believes in love, not to be depressed after wards, because "vom suchen und finden der liebe" tells us that love is not enough to be happy ever after.

Excellent Film

Author: Ladykracher from United States
24 October 2005

The brilliance of this film is on several levels. The visual effects and the direction of Helmut Dietl perfectly compliment the writing (script by Dietl and Patrick Süßkind) and the superb cast. In addition the all the visual appeal, the music is not to be missed.

This is a film that you will either love or hate, that's what it comes down to. I think that if you enjoyed Eternal Sunshine (Vergiss mein nicht) you will enjoy Liebe. There is a balance of raw emotion coupled with the humour that is always missing from straight up dramas.

The problem people seem to have with this film is the distinction between whether we are supposed to think that Dietl is making a joke or if he is serious about the possible existence of eternal love, die einzige große Liebe I'm Leben. I believe that Deitl wants to show us that it's possible, but that humans inevitably screw it up.

Truly beautiful

Author: WestMike from Germany
7 September 2005

Watching a film by Helmut Dietl you expect the usual posse of sometimes hysteric and strange people. You get this here - but intelligently woven into a true romance drama of love, life and death and their relationship. One of his best works was the TV series of "Monaco Franze" in the late 70ies, here he succeeds again in showing REAL feeling. Additionally it is sheer unbelievable how strong Dietl can lead his actors into impersonating their roles - wonderful and worth an academy award.

If you're into Greek mythology, German films or true love and its remainder - go see it. Don't forget your handkerchief by the way...

thumbs up for a German cinema!

Author: pudli from Frankfurt am Main, Germany
2 February 2005

honestly i don't think, that this movie wants to prove that everlasting love is a myth. i have seen it few hours ago, and i found it really, really good. actually its a very good romantic piece. it balances itself very smart between a comedy and a drama. to recognize some actors/actresses its recommended for you to know some famous German TV-celebrity of todays, but also very enjoyable even without this knowledge. some visual effects are very well done, especially at the end. This movie is not flat. not at all! Be prepared for some very deep thoughts about meaning of life, meaning of love, spiced up with humor and sometimes with very surrealistic scenes. worth watching, its a not-common piece with very good acting, and with a beautiful music. Alexandra's voice is amazing. 9/10

Excellent!

Author: SpeedyGonzales from Germany
1 January 2009

I just saw this film for the first time tonight, and I must say, simply a piece of art. Where to begin? It starts with the voice of the narrator and what he had to say caught my attention from second one. It was intelligent and slightly ironic, the first hint, that the movie to come would have comedic elements. Moritz Bleibtreu, Alexandra Maria Lara, Anke Engelke and Uwe Ochsenknecht are extremely well cast. It's fun to watch them act out their scenes. The wonderful story of Eurydice and Orpheus first draws a thin red line throughout the movie, then becomes the movie. I cried for the first time, when Mimi (Bleibtreu) slowly takes one sleeping pill after another, after he had arranged them on the piano spelling "Venus". And then "he" hit me: Heino Ferch as the Hermaphrodite shooting like a golden torch through the sky and down to Greece, to guide Mimi's undying soul to the realms of the dead. Any other movie would have been ruined, because that would have been accidentally funny. But not this movie. Dietl simply made a caricature out of Hermes(Aphrodite). Problem solved. The rest was just moving. Venus wants to return to Mimi, but finds out too late that he's dead. She's desperate and throws herself down the well that portrays the connection between earth and underworld. She almost manages to bring Mimi back to life. But a stupid fight destroys their second chance, just like in the myth. The movie is well written, just as well cut and cinematically beautifully shot. And, for me the most important: it moved me deeply, I cried several times and it even managed to make me cry and laugh at the same time. An achievement that, to date, not many movies can account for. I can only suggest to watch this movie, if opportunity comes up. BUT: be open-minded, that's essential. Or else it will not show all of its facets to you, humble viewer.

One of the Best Films I have ever seen

Author: insyght from United Kingdom
16 September 2006

Fits of laughter followed by uncontrollable sobbing. I have to ashamedly admit that I cried over this film and like a baby. Actually, I am not ashamed at all. The cast were faultlessly BRILLIANT. The story was so well adapted from Dante's Inferno and Opheus's trip through the Underworld (Enfers). Those with a foreknowledge of these works will NOT be disappointed no should they expect to be able to guess what is coming next, especially not the ending. Took me completely by surprise and finished off my box of tissues. You will split your sides and cry a river during the viewing of this film. So if you are a macho-man who refuses to cry in public then I strongly suggest renting the DVD but whatever you do DO NOT MISS THIS MOVIE!

A release in the English Language should be a serious consideration because IMHO this film has the potential to be a global blockbuster!

I loved it

Author: turinedeth from Australia
10 May 2005

I saw this film when I was in Frankfurt. I had seen trailers for it, but I had no real idea what it was going to be about. The film sometimes seem to move too quickly or too slowly, but it tells the story it sets out to tell, and does so really well. It is a strange film, in the way that German films can be strange (I mean this as no bad thing, Goodbye Lenin, or more appropriately Run, Lola, Run.).

There are many recurring ideas and images in the film, which is something I alway appreciate. Despite the difficulties I had understanding the language, I understood the story, many of the jokes, and the characters' relationships to each other.

The music, the setting, the mythology used and the "twist at the end" (I didn't see it coming because I am not particularly familiar with the myths used) left me breathless. I also walked back into see it again. (But I had neither the time nor the money.)

Great acting, scenery and storyline. Comedy and tragic at its best.

Author: westwaerts from Germany
22 September 2005

Mimi with the help of her love (Venus) is becoming successful as a music star, which Venus can't digest. While not being so overly happy with the trailer, the movie itself was great. I've seen it on DVD and even there the pictures and all the beautiful scenery comes out. Even more important, the main actors are great, not forgetting to mention the side characters. Heino Ferch dressed up as Hermes playing the most surprising (at least to me) role of his movies. Alexandra Maria Lara already seen in the Downfall stands out as well. The most important thing is though, that it is not just comedy or tragic it is 1.) harmony of these two together with great shots and visualization 2.) it is about acting and 3.) about the storyline. I can only recommend it.

Not a great movie, though a joy to watch

Author: Guy Burns from Tasmania
22 April 2011

Not a great movie; still, I found it a joy to watch. The imaginative opening credits (reflected in the watery-background theme in the close) set the tone for the film as a whole: convincing and witty dialogue without sounding too clever; surreal scenes of the underworld in the latter half of the movie; engaging twists in sexuality (a husband not interested, a wife who is, then their romance is rekindled via threesomes); and a soundtrack that is in turn banal-pop or highbrow-opera. The wonder for me is that such an apparent mismatch of ideas works, when all too often in films interesting ideas turn to mash. The writer and director never tip into the void of farce. They approach the edge warily but boldly, not afraid to continually flirt with outrageous ideas. That's the wonder of this movie – how did they get away with it? The answer is: through skill and competent film making of high order.

I came away feeling that although this is not a film of stellar quality, it would bear a critical second viewing. On a first viewing I was a bit suspect, wondering why the soundtrack featured opera and pop in equal doses. And did the ancient Greek mythology really have a part to play, or was it included for no good reason other than to impress the audience? But the film displays little overt pretension. Classical music compliments the Greek-antiquity storyline when appropriate, and just as appropriately, "plagiarised" pop music (the word is actually used by one of the actors to describe the music) compliments the dullness to which love can sometimes descend. Music is important to this film, and was decisively chosen. The music swelling behind the closing credits (a reprise of music already heard), has the viewer anticipating the lyrical high-notes that signal the end of the music, bringing the movie to a satisfying close.

Part humorous, part serious, this movie never has too much of either. It visits fantastic places, but is always pulled back from going too far by its tongue-in-cheek attitude. Characters from Greek legends are balanced by the more mundane problems of what to do about being in love.

I'm hoping this film appeals to me as much the second time around as it did the first. I suspect it will.