IMDb > The Three Stooges (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Three Stooges

The Three Stooges More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 20: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Brilliant casting for Three Stooges.

Author: rogersdonna from Australia
9 July 2012

Brilliant re-enactment of original Stooges, all had superb mannerisms, quirks, voices and "slapstick" manouvres down pat. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and as an officiando of the beloved original Stooges, a very highly commendable effort - great casting, Moe, Larry, and especially Curly with his nyuks-nyuks, backward steps, and head slapping....brilliant. It would not have been easy to cast but a brilliant job. Well done to film-makers and great casting. I also liked the updating of Stooges, with IPhones, Facebook and tweet references, and reality shows bringing the Stooges into the modern day era. Good supporting cast.

Pretty much what I expected. The three looked and acted like the original guys. The problem was this was not funny. I say C-

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
13 June 2012

"We'll do whatever it takes. We'll climb mountains, we'll forge rivers, we'll forge checks." Larry (Hayes), Curly (Sasso) and Moe (Diamantopoulos) are left at an orphanage at a very young age. The nuns that run it soon realize that they are not normal boys and try to get them adopted. Surprisingly they wind up staying there for their whole lives. When word comes that the orphanage will be shut down and sold the stooges decide to raise the money to save it themselves. I have said before that about 90% of the way you feel about a movie is based on your expectations going in. The preview to me was so unfunny that I really had low expectations for this. I have to say that the casting was perfect. All three looked and acted like the original stooges. The big difference is that the original guys were funny. In the last year there have been some awful comedies. Ones that come to mind are "Bucky Larson" and "Jack And Jill". I did find a few parts of those movies funny and laughed a few times. I didn't even smile at this one. Even going in with very low expectations this was very bad. The best thing I can say about this one is that it was exactly what I expected. Overall, I was told if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all so............I give it a C-

Delivers the goods (and the laughs)

Author: raisleygordon from Ladson, SC
22 April 2012

I think this film is much better than it ought to be. It's genuinely funny, and holds your attention the whole time. Most of the critics who would normally pan a Farrelly Brothers film did actually enjoy it, only they didn't find any laughs. What were they expecting? A short? This is the 21st century after all, and, whether you've grown up with the original stooges or not, you're not going to get old-fashioned humor here. I heard Jim Carrey was supposed to play one of the stooges. I'm sure he would have his work cut out for him. Anyway, in a Stooges movie, everything is just about predictable, but that's a given in a movie about three bumbling idiots who keep hitting one another. I highly recommend you see it.

*** out of ****

I laughed out loud

Author: Jim Rogers from boston
21 April 2012

I am an old fan and did not really have any expectations except that the Farrelly brothers are pretty funny. Well my wife and I went and we both laughed a lot.

All the actors did a great job with Moe Larry and Curly. Larry David was a riot! I could not stop laughing at his part.

The story line was right out of the old school Nintendo game - "save the orphanage" ! Lots of slap stick humor and some great one liners . They did some old stooges stuff (very well too!) and even added a few modern laughs. It moved along nicely with the 3 shorts combining into a seamless story. I was surprised my wife laughed so much as she was never a Stooges fan, but she said if the Farrelly brothers made it then it must be funny! and she was right.

Way better than I expected , and this is one I will want to own.

very pleased

Author: brad_the_metalhead from Canada
19 April 2012

As a Three Stooges fan I was extremely happy with this movie, even though it is not the original stooges obviously, but honestly it doesn't make any difference because the actors in this film were fantastic.

The film was almost like watching the original, like with the slapstick comedy and the sound effects it sticks to true stooges tradition, and the fact that it was in a modern day setting was fantastic, I also loved the fact that they used the Jersy Shore members and Moe being on the show with the Nickname Dyna-Moe was absolutely hilarious and honestly the laughs don't stop I can go on all day with how funny this movie is but I don't want to give to much away, just see this movie thats all I can say.

Even though its very funny it has a few emotional moments thats the only thing that I didn't like, but trust me it doesn't last very long before your busting a gut laughing again.

Go see this movie its worth it, especially for stooges fans.

Farrelly good homage

Author: Quietb-1 from United States
19 April 2012

The Farrelly brothers have proved they can direct comedy and here they do it again. Like with most three stooge shorts, forget the plot and just go with the humor.

The movie is divided in segments to mimic the length of the original shorts. There was a reason the original stooge comedies were twenty minutes. Ninety minutes of Moe slapping Larry and poking Curly in the eyes gets a little redundant.

The stars do a great job of looking and sounding like the originals. The supporting cast is fun to watch. Larry David will not be offered a role in "The Sound of Music". The Farrelly brothers do a "don't try this at home" public service explanation so your kids won't be poking there friends eyes out.

You know what to expect and the movie deliveries enough laughs. It's a must see for stooge fans and everyone else will be entertained.

Made with respect, a truly stooges movie

Author: rodrmar70 from Argentina
21 July 2012

I'm still surprised about the IMDb users rating or this movie. While writing this review, the current rating it's a 5,3..........amazing, and i will tell you why:

- If you are a person who has never seen the classic short films or anything related to the stooges, it's simple: whether you like this type of humor (physical, simple, direct and at the same time naive) or you're gonna hate it. But everyone who enters a theater this days, knows exactly what to expect thanks to trailers, viral ads, reviews, etc. So nobody can claim (therefore my surprise about the ratings) to be disappointed about this movie.

This movie recaptures the spirit, feeling and comedy heart the stooges had. I have rarely seen a movie with the level of respect and detail about performers of the past, without falling in a blatant copy or a tragic failure. This movie is not a perfect one, but a truly and carefully crafted homage.

OK, the Jersey Shore section of the movie really bothered me, but even that part of the script was used in a good way.

Don't expect new things, expect to feel like you're 6 years old again, and a smile will be almost all the movie with you.

PD: this is a recreation of the shorts, for a really good movie about the life and suffering of the real stooges, watch the film made for TV, you won be disappointed.

I loved this movie

Author: firefliesgreen512 from Australia
13 July 2012

I saw this movie recently and when the movie started I couldn't stop laughing. It was hilarious from beginning to end. Moe, Larry and Curly in the movie looked exactly like the original Three Stooges. I thought they did a brilliant job and it was as funny as the show.

The movie begins with Moe, Larry and Curly in an orphanage and that is where they grow up. Later on in the film they need money to save the orphanage or else it is going to close down. While trying to find the money a whole lot of things happen to them such as Moe ending up on a reality TV show. All of them have to try and get the money in a few weeks or else the orphanage will be closed down forever.

I really want to go see this movie again because it was absolutely fantastic. I give it two thumbs up 10/10.

Retrospective Reviews- The Three Stooges (2012)

Author: Tyree Webster (tyreeewebster@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
13 July 2012

From the creators of 'Dumb and Dumber' comes possibly the best comedy I've ever seen.

This film is the first comedy I've seen in a while that has made me actually laugh out loud (this and the 'Hangover' movies) but it's the only comedy I've seen that doesn't need to be raunchy or overly vulgar to get a laugh out of me. It just has to be silly and fun, and that's EXACTLY what comedy stands for.

PROS: Let's talk about the story... it's very simple, the orphanage where the 3 Stooges (Moe, Larry and Curly) grew up is on the verge of being shut down unless it can raise $83, 000 to save it, so the trio decide that they should do it. Of course, the Stooges' Vaudeville act mainly consists of slaps and eye pokes, so obviously they wouldn't be able to carry a full 91 minute film, so what the writers/directors have done is split the 3 act film into 3 27 minute episodes, but they all add up to one story, and it works very well. Every episode is different and offers a lot of very funny stuff. I'm not quite sure how the original Stooges acted or sounded like, but I'm sure the actors in this film did them justice. Here we have Chris Diamantopoulos as Moe, Will Sasso as Curly and Sean Hayes as Larry, all giving brilliantly funny performances as their respected characters, but, if anything, Will Sasso steals the show.

CONS: Surprisingly, I have nothing negative to say about this movie, it's just one of those well made comedies.

So, what can I say? This movie was well written, well directed and well acted, and just goes to show you that you shouldn't judge a film by its trailer. So, if you're ever bored or are just sick and tired of vulgar sex "comedies" or Judd Apatow flicks, give this a watch. It's entertaining and hilarious.

Directed by: Bobby Farelly & Peter Farelly

Written by: Mike Cerrone,Bobby Farelly & Peter Farelly

Starring: Chris Diamantopoulos, Will Sasso & Sean Hayes

Will Make You Laugh Real Hard

Author: benderofgender from United States
27 May 2012

I haven't seen anything this funny in a long time, and this is exactly what my soul needed. I'm way too serious everyday and most people say that I depress them. People need to watch more Comedy's especially me, and this is the best movie I've seen in a long time for comedy. I wanted to rate this movie high, because a lot of movies have high ratings, such as the Simpsons, which really was a horrible movie. I think a lot of little children rate these movies without watching them, like the Simpsons. I was expecting Stooges to be bad, so I thought I'd watch just 20 minutes, then switch to another movie with a higher rating. I found this movie to be so funny that I had to stay and finish watching the rest of it. Although I rely on the rating system here, and it usually is accurate, sometimes it's totally wrong, and this was one of those times. I recommend everyone to watch this movie.