IMDb > Return to Sleepaway Camp (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

clearly an homage

Author: agwydyon from United States
22 December 2008

this movie was great--hilarious. the original was campy, and this version held up and then some. anybody that's looking for something chilling, creepy, or horrific is not understanding the reason why this movie was produced. not every "horror" movie is in it for scares. the deaths in this are far from surprising or tragic, but they're clearly grotesque and intentionally guffaw-oriented. I love the original, and I laughed my ass off during this. if you're a fan of the original because it holds a place in horror movie history for being over-the-top and shock-and-awe relevant, this is a delightfully genre-lambasting movie. if you're too literally horror-seeking, you aren't going to be happy.

My Review

Author: joemamaohio from United States
31 October 2008

Camp Arawak is back in business! Frank (Vincent Pastore) has re-opened the ill-fated campsite, and now a new batch of children fall victim to the legend of Angela, our favorite transgender serial killer.

I enjoyed the "Sleepaway Camp" series just because it mixed horror with humor in a way that was hardly heard of. This movie was said to be in the works for years, and finally it came out. It brings back the nostalgic feel from the first film, and also features the uber-talented Isaac Hays (who I miss a lot!), and includes the original Angela and Ricky from the first film. For any "Sleepaway Camp" fan, this is a can't miss.

Biblically Awful

Author: bordentownfilms (bordentownfilms@aol.com) from Burlington, NJ
21 January 2010

And lo! Shall it come to pass that amongst thine horror elite shall arise another Sleepaway Camp sequel. For his sins, Vincent Pastore shall be amongst thine above-the-line talent. Much cried shall be the squealing of "Your ass stinks!" by yon chubby mentally challenged but endowed with the gift of annoyance camper whom instant death shall be wished upon by all.

Looketh no further, guy-who-guest-starred-those-two-times-on-Flight-of-the-Conchords, ye fate shall meeteth thee in the fry-a-later with that one overdone french fry. Even though all you have to do is kick your legs to get away, you shan't do it and shall succumb to your transfatty fate! A miracle shall be imparted to this film! Whereas the kid playing Weed shall look and act like the kid who played Stewie on Malcolm in the Middle, but all shall find dread whence looking upon IMDb and realizing that though he did guest star on an episode of yon horrid series, he playest Stewie NOT! O Weed! Smokest not the manure-laced joint, lay down your joking ways and be saved! lest you meet your fiery damnation tied to a lawn chair with a bumper sticker across your face.

BEHOLD! T.C. shall be stabbed in the eye by the pointed rod of the Almighty! and from betwixt pairs of panties covering his head, another shall shriek a pubescent boy's shrill call of terror.

And the Angel spoketh to me and I unto you that fishing line shall be affixed to a counselor's man-junk as well as a bumper of a jeep! And the jeep shall pull away inflicting much castrations in a sequence that takes too much time, defying the conventions of editing to produce dramatic tension and story arc.

Sweet, virtuous Karen … ye knowest not the cock-teasery you inflict, and so shall be spared.

And there shall come to pass an inexplicable ending whenst the killer shall come to be revealed as a man pretending to be a woman pretending to be a man wearing a fake nose and beard that foolist no one! And then there shall be blackness. End.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com

Author: Tss5078 from United States
25 December 2011

It takes a good actor to play a bad one, and that's really the point of Return To Sleepaway Camp. Many critics have given this movie a terrible review, because they just don't understand it. Back in the 50's and 60's B-Movies were terrible because they had a very small budget. The actors were bad, the effects were ridiculous, and the story was rushed. Today's B-Movies have 100 times the budget of their predecessors. Return To Sleepaway has bad acting and terrible effects, not because they had no budget, but rather to pay homage to the B-Movies of the past. If you look at it in that context, this movie is actually pretty good! The kids are great, there are some really funny lines, and the cheesy effects are hilarious. It's just a simple, funny, old fashion B-Horror movie, that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Amateur hour

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
7 February 2014

"Return To Sleepaway Camp" isn't as much a real movie as it is a joke that got a bit out of hand. Apparently there's a website entirely devoted to 80s slasher gem "Sleepaway Camp", and they moved heaven and Earth to get some of its cast and crew back together for a sequel. They even got Robert Hiltzik back in the director chair, even though he retired from filmmaking decades prior. Sadly though, that totally shows. Hiltzik has forgotten pretty much everything that made his first movie such an underground classic. The first one thrived on its inventive kills and compelling mystery (with an amazing conclusion). In this one, the kills just make no goddamn sense (the bed of spikes!?) and you've figured out the twist well before halfway. Even worse though is the handling of the characters. When someone teased cute innocent kids in the original, you were glad they died minutes later. In this one the protagonist is a teen that picks on little kids in the cruelest ways possible, and then gets picked on by adolescents in the cruelest ways possible. You just can't sympathize with anyone in this movie, which makes you indifferent to all the deaths. The biggest difference is in the acting though. Why is everyone acting so tongue-in-cheek all of a sudden, why the sudden shift in tone? I don't remember wanting to punch Jonathan Tiersten in the face any time he opened his mouth in the original, what happened? This movie was released four years after completion: that's rarely a good sign.

An enjoyably nasty belated sequel to the cult classic original

1 October 2009

A series of grisly murders occur at Camp Manabe. Gruff owner Frank (a solid performance by Vincent Pastore) tries to keep a lid on the ghastly killings, but nice guy co-owner Ronnie (well played by Paul De Angelo) suspects that Angela Baker has returned to continue bumping off heartless and unmerciful kids who are extremely unkind to their fellow campers. Writer/director Robert Hiltzik does an adept job of capturing the unsparingly warped and mean-spirited tone which distinguished the original picture and astutely nails adolescent cruelty in a harsh and unflinching manner. Moreover, Hiltzik populates the movie with an alarming array of incredibly hateful and unlikable characters: Jackie Tohn as the snarky Linda, Lenny Venito as surly assistant cook Mickey, Adam Wylie as zonked-out pothead Weed, Brye Cooper as the vicious Randy, and Shahidah McIntosh as the sassy Bella are all so remarkably vile and despicable that they wholly deserve the horrible fates that befall them. While these folks are all unpleasant and unappealing, Michael Gibney still cops the top disgusting dishonors with his no-holds-barred repulsive portrayal of gross, maladjusted and obnoxious fat misfit Alan, who not surprisingly is the brunt of lots of savage and humiliating pranks (he gets shot by his own team members in a game of paintball and even has his frog friends skinned!). Fortunately, there are a few people to root for: Erin Broderick as the fetching Karen, Kate Simses as sympathetic counselor Petey, and Jonathan Tierston as Angela's angry brother Ricky. Isaac Hayes has a small, but cool role as the amiable Charlie the Chef. Best of all, Felissa Rose excels in a neat dual part as the creepy Sheriff Jerry and the unhinged Angela. Of course, we also have the expected ferocious murder set pieces: Gruesome highlights include a man having his head dunked in a deep fat fryer, a dude set on fire, a truly painful castration (ouch!), a sharpened broomstick through an eye, and a man getting skinned alive. The surprise ending might not pack the punch of the first film's notoriously perverse conclusion, but it hits the sicko spot all the same. The humor is every bit as black as it should be and the murders often display a certain wicked ingenuity. The slick cinematography by Ken Kelsh and Brian Pryzpek gives the movie an impressive glossy look. Rodney Whittenberg's moody, rattling score does the shivery trick. Gnarly hard-thrashin' theme song, too. A worthy follow-up to the supremely twisted original.

A mixed bag

Author: sb88 from United States
7 December 2008

As far as horror movies go, Sleepaway Camp is definitely one of my favorites. The news that the creator of the original would be coming back to make this sequel got me excited.

And then we waited. And waited some more.

Now it's finally here, so the question now is whether or not it actually delivers. The answer? Yes and no.

When the movie started, I hated it. I guess I expected more than an opening scene of lighting farts. But the real problem relies primarily in the main character, Alan. Both due to his acting and the stuff he does and what happens to him, it's impossible to care. I couldn't figure out if we were supposed to care or hate the guy who picks on people but also gets picked on. He just ends up annoying. Yes, the acting wasn't all that great in the original, but we did actually care about the main characters. Here, there's nothing.

I was, in all honesty, ready to give up on it, but stuck with it just because of a last sliver of hope. And it did get better. Once the body count began to rise, it really improved. What we ended up with was a fun slasher with inventive kills that I was really into by the time the time the climax hit.

Don't expect much in the way of characters from the original. Ricky is there for basically a cameo, although Paul DeAngelo's Ronnie has a prominent role. And as for the ending, well, it sure isn't as shocking as the first.

But for fans of the original, this one is worth a shot. I gave it a chance, and I'm glad I did.

Now I'm ready for the next one.

Failure of Epic Proportions

Author: terminat800 from United States
27 November 2008

This movie did EVERYTHING wrong. I just watched it 5 minutes ago, and now I want to put a gun in my mouth, to end the fail that is replaying over and over in my head!

I don't even know where to start. I hated the fat kid Allen, and wanted him to get shot, but that never transpired until the climax, or the lack thereof. The movie lacked plot, there was no real acting to be spoke of - it was as if the director picked a bunch of transients up at the bus stop of Salt Lake City, tossed them into the Oregon woods and said, "Okay guys, your motivation is you are angry and hate each other... ROLL CAMERA!" Now, in some horror movies, these sort of shortcomings can be forgivable. However, to forgive such monolithic cinematic diarrhea, there needs to be either,

A) Innovative and copious amounts of blood and guts, or B) Bewbies. This movie lacked both.

Do not watch. Do not let your friends watch. Liberate tutame ex inferis.

Utter garbage

Author: roberthaynes from Johannesburg
5 August 2011

I was truly looking forward to this being a HUGE fan of the original and was devastated once the DVD had reached the five minute mark.

I kept checking the box to make sure I had been sent the right movie. A $4 million budget, what the hell did they spend it on - catering???!!! - ços the money sure isn't up there on the screen.

Cheaply shot, badly graded, sloppily edited, appallingly scored, a script that sounds like it was scratched down quickly on the back of a piece of toilet paper and the piece de resistance is the DIABOLICALLY BAD performances by a truly inept cast of nobodies.

What was Robert Hiltzik thinking? He should have just left well enough alone and not tarnished the reputation of the ground breaking original.

Avoid at all costs.

i cant believe this rating? :s This was a awesome movie

Author: bigj-09 from Canada
23 November 2009

for a new release, this movie was amazing. Because of all the horrible new movies out lately i thought this was going to be also horrible... I thought extremely wrong!

Thiis movie is up there with the original. IT has all the aspects of a cult classic. It has amazing, original and crazy kills, it has a bit of comedic relief, and it's kind of creepy in its own way.. Also the twist ending is exhilarating!

Definitely more exiting than the 2nd and the 3rd sequels..

Solid 7 out of 10 for me, and well deserved!

Jer