IMDb > Return to Sleepaway Camp (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Utter garbage

Author: roberthaynes from Johannesburg
5 August 2011

I was truly looking forward to this being a HUGE fan of the original and was devastated once the DVD had reached the five minute mark.

I kept checking the box to make sure I had been sent the right movie. A $4 million budget, what the hell did they spend it on - catering???!!! - ços the money sure isn't up there on the screen.

Cheaply shot, badly graded, sloppily edited, appallingly scored, a script that sounds like it was scratched down quickly on the back of a piece of toilet paper and the piece de resistance is the DIABOLICALLY BAD performances by a truly inept cast of nobodies.

What was Robert Hiltzik thinking? He should have just left well enough alone and not tarnished the reputation of the ground breaking original.

Avoid at all costs.

Biblically Awful

Author: bordentownfilms (bordentownfilms@aol.com) from Burlington, NJ
21 January 2010

And lo! Shall it come to pass that amongst thine horror elite shall arise another Sleepaway Camp sequel. For his sins, Vincent Pastore shall be amongst thine above-the-line talent. Much cried shall be the squealing of "Your ass stinks!" by yon chubby mentally challenged but endowed with the gift of annoyance camper whom instant death shall be wished upon by all.

Looketh no further, guy-who-guest-starred-those-two-times-on-Flight-of-the-Conchords, ye fate shall meeteth thee in the fry-a-later with that one overdone french fry. Even though all you have to do is kick your legs to get away, you shan't do it and shall succumb to your transfatty fate! A miracle shall be imparted to this film! Whereas the kid playing Weed shall look and act like the kid who played Stewie on Malcolm in the Middle, but all shall find dread whence looking upon IMDb and realizing that though he did guest star on an episode of yon horrid series, he playest Stewie NOT! O Weed! Smokest not the manure-laced joint, lay down your joking ways and be saved! lest you meet your fiery damnation tied to a lawn chair with a bumper sticker across your face.

BEHOLD! T.C. shall be stabbed in the eye by the pointed rod of the Almighty! and from betwixt pairs of panties covering his head, another shall shriek a pubescent boy's shrill call of terror.

And the Angel spoketh to me and I unto you that fishing line shall be affixed to a counselor's man-junk as well as a bumper of a jeep! And the jeep shall pull away inflicting much castrations in a sequence that takes too much time, defying the conventions of editing to produce dramatic tension and story arc.

Sweet, virtuous Karen … ye knowest not the cock-teasery you inflict, and so shall be spared.

And there shall come to pass an inexplicable ending whenst the killer shall come to be revealed as a man pretending to be a woman pretending to be a man wearing a fake nose and beard that foolist no one! And then there shall be blackness. End.

Amateur hour

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
7 February 2014

"Return To Sleepaway Camp" isn't as much a real movie as it is a joke that got a bit out of hand. Apparently there's a website entirely devoted to 80s slasher gem "Sleepaway Camp", and they moved heaven and Earth to get some of its cast and crew back together for a sequel. They even got Robert Hiltzik back in the director chair, even though he retired from filmmaking decades prior. Sadly though, that totally shows. Hiltzik has forgotten pretty much everything that made his first movie such an underground classic. The first one thrived on its inventive kills and compelling mystery (with an amazing conclusion). In this one, the kills just make no goddamn sense (the bed of spikes!?) and you've figured out the twist well before halfway. Even worse though is the handling of the characters. When someone teased cute innocent kids in the original, you were glad they died minutes later. In this one the protagonist is a teen that picks on little kids in the cruelest ways possible, and then gets picked on by adolescents in the cruelest ways possible. You just can't sympathize with anyone in this movie, which makes you indifferent to all the deaths. The biggest difference is in the acting though. Why is everyone acting so tongue-in-cheek all of a sudden, why the sudden shift in tone? I don't remember wanting to punch Jonathan Tiersten in the face any time he opened his mouth in the original, what happened? This movie was released four years after completion: that's rarely a good sign.

My Review

Author: joemamaohio from United States
31 October 2008

Camp Arawak is back in business! Frank (Vincent Pastore) has re-opened the ill-fated campsite, and now a new batch of children fall victim to the legend of Angela, our favorite transgender serial killer.

I enjoyed the "Sleepaway Camp" series just because it mixed horror with humor in a way that was hardly heard of. This movie was said to be in the works for years, and finally it came out. It brings back the nostalgic feel from the first film, and also features the uber-talented Isaac Hays (who I miss a lot!), and includes the original Angela and Ricky from the first film. For any "Sleepaway Camp" fan, this is a can't miss.

clearly an homage

Author: agwydyon from United States
22 December 2008

this movie was great--hilarious. the original was campy, and this version held up and then some. anybody that's looking for something chilling, creepy, or horrific is not understanding the reason why this movie was produced. not every "horror" movie is in it for scares. the deaths in this are far from surprising or tragic, but they're clearly grotesque and intentionally guffaw-oriented. I love the original, and I laughed my ass off during this. if you're a fan of the original because it holds a place in horror movie history for being over-the-top and shock-and-awe relevant, this is a delightfully genre-lambasting movie. if you're too literally horror-seeking, you aren't going to be happy.

Failure of Epic Proportions

Author: terminat800 from United States
27 November 2008

This movie did EVERYTHING wrong. I just watched it 5 minutes ago, and now I want to put a gun in my mouth, to end the fail that is replaying over and over in my head!

I don't even know where to start. I hated the fat kid Allen, and wanted him to get shot, but that never transpired until the climax, or the lack thereof. The movie lacked plot, there was no real acting to be spoke of - it was as if the director picked a bunch of transients up at the bus stop of Salt Lake City, tossed them into the Oregon woods and said, "Okay guys, your motivation is you are angry and hate each other... ROLL CAMERA!" Now, in some horror movies, these sort of shortcomings can be forgivable. However, to forgive such monolithic cinematic diarrhea, there needs to be either,

A) Innovative and copious amounts of blood and guts, or B) Bewbies. This movie lacked both.

Do not watch. Do not let your friends watch. Liberate tutame ex inferis.

A bit darker than most slashers are.

Author: jdollak from United States
11 November 2008

I wasn't expecting too much of this movie, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was 1. Nothing like the Sleepaway Camp sequels. 2. Clever enough to not repeat the same formula as the original

For the most part, the movie focuses on the cruelty and incompetence of nearly everybody. Alan is a severely socially unskilled camper. He's the sort of person that is difficult to ignore, and just as difficult to control. He's annoying enough that the other campers have made a sport of picking on him. The counselors/administration are inept enough that they can't differentiate between when Alan is at fault and when he isn't.

These games of humiliation continue and increase over the course of the movie. None of the major characters are especially likable, and it's easy to cringe with sympathy for Alan, who craves attention and hasn't figured out how to get attention in a good way.

Eventually, campers are eliminated. Is it Alan? Is it the girl who is oddly sympathetic to Alan?

The direction is paced more smoothly than the original. The laughs are not quite as silly as the sequels. It's an uncomfortable horror movie. I like it this way. The level of entertainment gives way to a degree of feeling bad for the way the characters treat each other.

There is a minimal amount of gore. There are a few bits late in the movie that include some, but the movie is much more about tension and the gore that you don't actually get to see.

Ultimately, it doesn't have the same 'camp' value as the original. But it is clearly a huge step up in sophistication from the two sequels.

Alan why did you make him this way?

Author: subzeroclone2 from United States
14 April 2012

To start off I just recently watch the original Sleepaway Camp. I thought it was an excellent film. Angela and Ricky were awesome and very likable main characters. The film was paced well and the kills were creative and original and I really enjoyed the plot and all of its other characters and its antagonists especially M-E-G and Judy. Of course the shocking ending was awesome and it is some really horrifying imagery in execution.

Return to Sleepaway main issue is the main character why would you make a character like this? Hes horrible in every way and hes completely un likable and he ruins the rest of the movie. I will say that the kills were awesome even if one of them went on way too long and the film did not bore me but this was very disappointing I just don't understand how they thought this script was good. I really hope if Reunion ever gets out the door thats it a lot better then this.

Return to Sleepaway Camp

Author: Toronto85 from Canada
2 April 2012

This was one I was really looking forward to seeing. It felt like it took years for it to be made and released. So when it was available to purchase I bought it at full price not knowing what a disappointment it would be. The plot follows the basic "kids are at camp when a bunch of murders occur" storyline. Fans of the original know the backstory of Angela so I won't go into that, but if you don't; it's probably a good idea to familiarize yourself with the 1983 film.

This sequel does something I hate which is it completely ignores Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3. We are supposed to forget those late eighties sequels which involved Angela escaping and becoming a counsellor killing a bunch of teenagers. By not bringing up the incidents that took place in these movies left me a little confused, but I'll move on from that negative. The next problem I have with this is the "lead" character Alan. What an annoying human being. He bullies other kids and then whines like a baby when he gets bullied or other camp counsellors tell him to stop. The constant whining, screaming and cursing was driving me nuts by the twenty minute mark. Now I loved the fact that Ricky in the original cussed like no other, but it's WAY overdone in this by Alan. And the acting by pretty much everyone involved is some of the worst I've seen since Troll 2.

What I found in this movie after seeing the original was that a lot of these new characters emulated characters from the original. There is Alan who is supposed to be a mix of Angela and Ricky, a character named Pee-Pee (I know right?) acts a lot like a shy Angela, there is even a nasty chef who gets scalded by boiling water. There are other parallels as well. Other cons are the music, which is mostly terrible and adds no suspenseful effect to the scene like the original score did in 1983. And the juvenile writing is just annoying to sit through. Some of the things the teens say and do is supposed to be funny but just leaves a bad taste in the viewers mouth, especially when the same joke is repeated over and over again.

I've been down on Return to Sleepaway Camp so far, and rightfully so; it isn't very good. BUT the ending definitely saves it from being a total letdown. The last half hour is jam packed with murder and mayhem. And some of the gore is pretty shocking and well done. Also, I liked the added mystery of trying to find out who the killer is (even if I thought the identity of the killer was a bit lame). And I loved seeing some of the original cast and characters return like Ricky (Jonathan Tiersten), Ronnie (Paul DeAngelo) and a "cameo" by Felicia Rose who played the original Angela Baker.

Overall, this movie is all over the place. It's almost as if Return to Sleepaway Camp has an identity crisis. The first SC was scary. Parts 2-3 were funny. This one tries to be a bit of both and, except for a good thirty minutes of scares, doesn't do well at either.

Blasphemy!

Author: evangelinehudson from United States
5 August 2011

After watching this movie I can now confirm 100% without a doubt that there is no God. Seriously, I wish I had the option of giving this movie a negative 10. There were absolutely no likable characters and I wished everyone would die horrible gruesome deaths, especially Allen. Where were these actors hired? How old were these kids supposed to be cause the skinny nerd looked 10 but apparently he was 20 at the time of the filming. I hate the way that it ended as well. There wasn't enough gore or suspense for my taste. This movie is just a waste of time. I am a HUGE fan of cheesy horror flicks but this was a tremendous letdown. Please, I beg of you, do not subject anyone you love to this horrendous piece of s*!t they call a horror movie.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]