IMDb > Return to Sleepaway Camp (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

clearly an homage

Author: agwydyon from United States
22 December 2008

this movie was great--hilarious. the original was campy, and this version held up and then some. anybody that's looking for something chilling, creepy, or horrific is not understanding the reason why this movie was produced. not every "horror" movie is in it for scares. the deaths in this are far from surprising or tragic, but they're clearly grotesque and intentionally guffaw-oriented. I love the original, and I laughed my ass off during this. if you're a fan of the original because it holds a place in horror movie history for being over-the-top and shock-and-awe relevant, this is a delightfully genre-lambasting movie. if you're too literally horror-seeking, you aren't going to be happy.

My Review

Author: joemamaohio from United States
31 October 2008

Camp Arawak is back in business! Frank (Vincent Pastore) has re-opened the ill-fated campsite, and now a new batch of children fall victim to the legend of Angela, our favorite transgender serial killer.

I enjoyed the "Sleepaway Camp" series just because it mixed horror with humor in a way that was hardly heard of. This movie was said to be in the works for years, and finally it came out. It brings back the nostalgic feel from the first film, and also features the uber-talented Isaac Hays (who I miss a lot!), and includes the original Angela and Ricky from the first film. For any "Sleepaway Camp" fan, this is a can't miss.

Amateur hour

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
7 February 2014

"Return To Sleepaway Camp" isn't as much a real movie as it is a joke that got a bit out of hand. Apparently there's a website entirely devoted to 80s slasher gem "Sleepaway Camp", and they moved heaven and Earth to get some of its cast and crew back together for a sequel. They even got Robert Hiltzik back in the director chair, even though he retired from filmmaking decades prior. Sadly though, that totally shows. Hiltzik has forgotten pretty much everything that made his first movie such an underground classic. The first one thrived on its inventive kills and compelling mystery (with an amazing conclusion). In this one, the kills just make no goddamn sense (the bed of spikes!?) and you've figured out the twist well before halfway. Even worse though is the handling of the characters. When someone teased cute innocent kids in the original, you were glad they died minutes later. In this one the protagonist is a teen that picks on little kids in the cruelest ways possible, and then gets picked on by adolescents in the cruelest ways possible. You just can't sympathize with anyone in this movie, which makes you indifferent to all the deaths. The biggest difference is in the acting though. Why is everyone acting so tongue-in-cheek all of a sudden, why the sudden shift in tone? I don't remember wanting to punch Jonathan Tiersten in the face any time he opened his mouth in the original, what happened? This movie was released four years after completion: that's rarely a good sign.

A mixed bag

Author: sb88 from United States
7 December 2008

As far as horror movies go, Sleepaway Camp is definitely one of my favorites. The news that the creator of the original would be coming back to make this sequel got me excited.

And then we waited. And waited some more.

Now it's finally here, so the question now is whether or not it actually delivers. The answer? Yes and no.

When the movie started, I hated it. I guess I expected more than an opening scene of lighting farts. But the real problem relies primarily in the main character, Alan. Both due to his acting and the stuff he does and what happens to him, it's impossible to care. I couldn't figure out if we were supposed to care or hate the guy who picks on people but also gets picked on. He just ends up annoying. Yes, the acting wasn't all that great in the original, but we did actually care about the main characters. Here, there's nothing.

I was, in all honesty, ready to give up on it, but stuck with it just because of a last sliver of hope. And it did get better. Once the body count began to rise, it really improved. What we ended up with was a fun slasher with inventive kills that I was really into by the time the time the climax hit.

Don't expect much in the way of characters from the original. Ricky is there for basically a cameo, although Paul DeAngelo's Ronnie has a prominent role. And as for the ending, well, it sure isn't as shocking as the first.

But for fans of the original, this one is worth a shot. I gave it a chance, and I'm glad I did.

Now I'm ready for the next one.

Failure of Epic Proportions

Author: terminat800 from United States
27 November 2008

This movie did EVERYTHING wrong. I just watched it 5 minutes ago, and now I want to put a gun in my mouth, to end the fail that is replaying over and over in my head!

I don't even know where to start. I hated the fat kid Allen, and wanted him to get shot, but that never transpired until the climax, or the lack thereof. The movie lacked plot, there was no real acting to be spoke of - it was as if the director picked a bunch of transients up at the bus stop of Salt Lake City, tossed them into the Oregon woods and said, "Okay guys, your motivation is you are angry and hate each other... ROLL CAMERA!" Now, in some horror movies, these sort of shortcomings can be forgivable. However, to forgive such monolithic cinematic diarrhea, there needs to be either,

A) Innovative and copious amounts of blood and guts, or B) Bewbies. This movie lacked both.

Do not watch. Do not let your friends watch. Liberate tutame ex inferis.

Utter garbage

Author: roberthaynes from Johannesburg
5 August 2011

I was truly looking forward to this being a HUGE fan of the original and was devastated once the DVD had reached the five minute mark.

I kept checking the box to make sure I had been sent the right movie. A $4 million budget, what the hell did they spend it on - catering???!!! - ços the money sure isn't up there on the screen.

Cheaply shot, badly graded, sloppily edited, appallingly scored, a script that sounds like it was scratched down quickly on the back of a piece of toilet paper and the piece de resistance is the DIABOLICALLY BAD performances by a truly inept cast of nobodies.

What was Robert Hiltzik thinking? He should have just left well enough alone and not tarnished the reputation of the ground breaking original.

Avoid at all costs.

A bit darker than most slashers are.

Author: jdollak from United States
11 November 2008

I wasn't expecting too much of this movie, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was 1. Nothing like the Sleepaway Camp sequels. 2. Clever enough to not repeat the same formula as the original

For the most part, the movie focuses on the cruelty and incompetence of nearly everybody. Alan is a severely socially unskilled camper. He's the sort of person that is difficult to ignore, and just as difficult to control. He's annoying enough that the other campers have made a sport of picking on him. The counselors/administration are inept enough that they can't differentiate between when Alan is at fault and when he isn't.

These games of humiliation continue and increase over the course of the movie. None of the major characters are especially likable, and it's easy to cringe with sympathy for Alan, who craves attention and hasn't figured out how to get attention in a good way.

Eventually, campers are eliminated. Is it Alan? Is it the girl who is oddly sympathetic to Alan?

The direction is paced more smoothly than the original. The laughs are not quite as silly as the sequels. It's an uncomfortable horror movie. I like it this way. The level of entertainment gives way to a degree of feeling bad for the way the characters treat each other.

There is a minimal amount of gore. There are a few bits late in the movie that include some, but the movie is much more about tension and the gore that you don't actually get to see.

Ultimately, it doesn't have the same 'camp' value as the original. But it is clearly a huge step up in sophistication from the two sequels.

Biblically Awful

Author: bordentownfilms ( from Burlington, NJ
21 January 2010

And lo! Shall it come to pass that amongst thine horror elite shall arise another Sleepaway Camp sequel. For his sins, Vincent Pastore shall be amongst thine above-the-line talent. Much cried shall be the squealing of "Your ass stinks!" by yon chubby mentally challenged but endowed with the gift of annoyance camper whom instant death shall be wished upon by all.

Looketh no further, guy-who-guest-starred-those-two-times-on-Flight-of-the-Conchords, ye fate shall meeteth thee in the fry-a-later with that one overdone french fry. Even though all you have to do is kick your legs to get away, you shan't do it and shall succumb to your transfatty fate! A miracle shall be imparted to this film! Whereas the kid playing Weed shall look and act like the kid who played Stewie on Malcolm in the Middle, but all shall find dread whence looking upon IMDb and realizing that though he did guest star on an episode of yon horrid series, he playest Stewie NOT! O Weed! Smokest not the manure-laced joint, lay down your joking ways and be saved! lest you meet your fiery damnation tied to a lawn chair with a bumper sticker across your face.

BEHOLD! T.C. shall be stabbed in the eye by the pointed rod of the Almighty! and from betwixt pairs of panties covering his head, another shall shriek a pubescent boy's shrill call of terror.

And the Angel spoketh to me and I unto you that fishing line shall be affixed to a counselor's man-junk as well as a bumper of a jeep! And the jeep shall pull away inflicting much castrations in a sequence that takes too much time, defying the conventions of editing to produce dramatic tension and story arc.

Sweet, virtuous Karen … ye knowest not the cock-teasery you inflict, and so shall be spared.

And there shall come to pass an inexplicable ending whenst the killer shall come to be revealed as a man pretending to be a woman pretending to be a man wearing a fake nose and beard that foolist no one! And then there shall be blackness. End.

worst movie ever.

Author: Sonya Woods from Hell
23 May 2012

This has got to be one of the WORST horror movie I have ever seen in my life, and that is very rare coming from me. I've rated every horror movie I reviewed expect for this one. Alan was the most annoying fatass that got on my nerves. I just wanted to stop watching, but I wanted to see the rest of the movie since i've seen the first three movies. I can't believe it was the sheriff that was angela is the first place. Talk about being weak. I can't believe I watched the entire movie. I think my iq dropped. At least the second one was good, i wouldn't recommend the first or third movie. Trust me, you will thank me. the guy that came back from the first movie is really old and used up looking. Like he's been hitting the drugs hard.

How could it be worse?

Author: christophermurray52
23 April 2012

Wow, okay, I got Sleep Away Camp via netflix and felt minutes of my life wither away.. I sat in utter shock that I made it through that entire DVD sack of crap. However, I decided I would try and watch Return To Sleep Away Camp considering it was made in 2008 (figured time, advancement in technology and what not) would make it better.. Um, nope. I feel Like Alan (the mentally challenged kid in this flick that you just want to die).. I feel like the directors and producers just made fun of me through this whole flick.. The acting is putrid! And every one of the characters you want dead as soon as they speak or even appear on the screen.. I think the best acting came from the frogs in the woods..

The movie offers nothing.. It offers no scares, the directing is a joke, the entire plot is so laughable. I mean come on, what camp anywhere in the United States has counselors who help torture mentally handicapped campers? They all help beat him, make fun of him and route the other campers on to torture him.. The other counselors stand around and laugh at him..

There is a cop that for some reason they found necessary to have lost his larynx to cancer and has to speak via some kind of machine (like the character in south park) but it is SO annoying you hope the cop gets his head blown off instantly. And, this cop is such a good cop he does no investigations in to the disappearance of a cook and a camper, the counselor is fried to death is a huge vile of boiling grease, and a camper has gasoline pumped in to his stomach and he is set on fire.. apparently no evidence of any kind is left in either of these murders, even though the camper blew to pieces. It is just so bad, I am not sure how anyone could say this is good? And, as much as you hate Alan, he falls for everything time after time after time, and you just want him dead.

The acting is just so God Awful I don't even know what else to write.. Just please save your life and don't watch this horrible flick...

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]