IMDb > Ratatouille (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 60:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Incredible

Author: stalcup (stalcup@vt.edu) from United States
17 June 2007

Remember how everyone was talking about Toy Story when it first came out? The incredible visuals, unique style, vividly imagined world? The next time people were talking that way with such enthusiasm about a computer animated movie was Finding Nemo. I'm excited to say that Ratatouille will be the next one to redefine the visual creativity and technical detail of computer animated movies. Honest to goodness, I was awestruck by the animation, and that never happens to me. It is a visual masterpiece of a movie if ever the term applies.

The next thing to talk about is the "genre" of the movie. As Pixar enthusiasts will tell you, Brad Bird, the director of Ratatouille, also directed The Incredibles, which has the most inspired and creative action sequences from any of the Pixar movies. Ratatouille, while not so straightforward with its action, has almost as much as The Incredibles did, in unique ways. Most memorable is the shotgun scene near the beginning. (You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it). Other than that, this is the expected comedy-with-heart movie from Pixar that so many have grown to love.

The voice acting? Spot on. Every voice is distinctive, and it never feels like a celebrity's voice tacked on to a character (Shrek, I'm looking at you), it feels like the characters themselves speaking. You can't ask for more from voice acting.

And finally, the script and the story. The entire irony of the story -- a street rat with a passion for fine food -- is beautiful, and a tight, smart, wonderful script flows from this. The pacing of the story is odd and choppy at places, but this is a very forgivable grievance. The only other minor fault is that a few of the dramatic one-liners feel a bit forced. Other than that, this is the most layered, complex, and satisfying script from Pixar since The Incredibles.

Overall, I recommend that everyone see this movie when it hits theaters (I was lucky enough to see a pre-release screening). Though not perfect, it is an animated masterpiece in true Pixar form with breathtaking animation and visual design.

Excellent movie!

Author: superfan18 from United States
11 June 2007

Tonight I went to see Ratatouille during a preview offered to Myspace users in Boston. Overall the movie was GREAT! It was really funny, often in unexpected places, the storyline kept you engaged the entire time and the overall mood was lighthearted and inspiring. A real "feel-good" movie. I admit I was a bit skeptical going in, I mean the idea of a rat in a kitchen kind of left me queasy, but I left the theater excited to see it again when it is released. The voice actors are excellent and the animation is amazing. I've been to Paris before and the overall views were very accurate. At times I could tell exactly where in the city the events were taking place. Overall a fabulous movie, I highly recommend it!

Best Animated Film in Creation

Author: PoisonKeyblade from Long Island, New York
17 June 2007

The combination of Disney and Pixar never ceases to amaze, but with Ratatouille, their newest effort, animated features are brought to new heights with the best one to date. Ratatouille is stunning, surreal while at the same time realistic, and a joy to watch. The writing is, in one word, just amazing, and the voice acting is sensational. The characters are poetic and real, and the rats are some of Disney/Pixar's cutest creations. Ratatouille is written and directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles), and features stellar voice acting from Peter O'Toole, Patton Oswalt, Ian Holm, Brian Dennehy, Lou Romano, Brad Garrett, and Janeane Garofalo.

Remy (voiced by Patton Oswalt) is a little rat who dreams of becoming a chef just like his idol, the human Gusteau (voiced by Brad Garrett). After a mishap, Remy loses his family in the sewers and comes upon a fading restaurant that had previously been owned by Gusteau before his untimely death. He comes upon a lowly garbage boy, Linguini (voiced by Lou Romano), and together they set out to revive the once-legendary restaurant.

Ratatouille is filled with loads of surprises and lots of twists and turns. The animation is even more stunning here than in some of the other Disney/Pixar productions, and the breathtaking landscape of Paris, France, really adds a layer of realism to the film. The food looks so real and delicious, and the humans and rats look incredibly realistic. Remy and Linguini are both lovable characters, and the audience is rooting for them the entire way. Surprisingly enough, this movie is the funniest of the Disney/Pixar films, with very subtle and unique humor.

As previously stated, the voice acting really makes the film different, and each actor is perfectly suited to his or her role. The best among the bunch happens to be Lou Romano, as he deals with his character extremely well and is incredibly believable. There are times when the acting and animation is so excellent that you forget you are watching an animated film altogether. Brad Garrett is actually tolerable for once, and is excellent in his role as Gusteau, who acts as Remy's conscience for the majority of the film. Some of the funniest scenes in the movie are rooted from Gusteau's chats with Remy and many others come from the relationship between Linguini and Remy. On another note, Patton Oswalt does a magnificent job voicing Remy, and Peter O' Toole is very memorable as Anton Ego, the food critic for 'The Grim Eater'.

Overall, you can't ask for a better film than Ratatouille, a new classic from Disney/Pixar that is filled with humor, amazing animation, and, most importantly, lots of heart. Some of the scenes are so poetic and perfect that they just bring tears to your eyes. It may be hard to believe, but Ratatouille is far better than any other animated films you will see this year, or perhaps that you will ever see. It manages to be better than Toy Story, better than Finding Nemo, even better than the fantastic Meet the Robinsons. I saw a pre-screening of the film on Saturday, June 16, but I cannot wait to see it again once it hits theaters everywhere on June 29. See Ratatouille—it is highly original, heartwarming, uplifting, and a very thrilling movie that has to be the best animated feature of the last few decades.

A fantastic story that adds to Pixar's stellar reputation

Author: Tripper27 from Austin, TX, United States
17 June 2007

I checked out a sneak preview of Ratatouille last night, and I must say I truly loved this movie. Everything from the animation to the score to the voice acting to the story (and especially the story) was EXCELLENT.

I don't know if it appeals to kids as much as other Pixar offerings, but this one upholds their legacy of excellence.

Casting Patton Oswalt as Remy was PERFECT. The rest of the voice cast was outstanding as well...including Pixar "house voice" John Ratzenberger. See if you can tell which guy he is without foreknowledge (as in, don't read the cast list).

Michael Giacchino's score was as perfect for this story as the award-winning one he created for "The Incredibles" and the incredible music he has created for most of J.J. Abrams' recent projects, including "Alias" and "Lost".

Even with my 3-year-old son making it really hard to concentrate, and our "we got to the theater late and had to sit up front" seats, this movie was fantastic. Everyone should go see it, even if they don't have kids.

Brad Bird - you done right by us movie fans again...Ratatouille is great!

An Amazing film, made for film lovers, with an artistic/indie appeal

Author: willden21 from Utah
17 June 2007

I caught a sneak peak yesterday, and must say, this film is a classic. It is not as flashy as cars, or as action packed as Incredibles, but it is a masterpiece of restraint and heart, that matches the classics from the golden age of the film industry. Pixar has always been groundbreaking for smart and fun animated features, but Ratatouille might just be what puts them over the top as one of the BEST all around film-making teams in history.

Ratatouille is a treat for film lovers. It feels like a classic. The animationis absolutely beautiful, especially the scenery of Paris which evoked awes from the audience, as if we were seeing a grandiose fireworks show.

The story is oh so classy and universal, especially when you look at it as a parable to yourself and society. Sometimes the story seems familiar, yet it is packed with so much genuine heart and individuality, that it might even be too "indie" for most audiences. But those who are patient and willing to open their minds and hearts, even when it may challenge the viewers to rethink their own personal biases, will find within this entertaining, sweet, simple film a remarkable message about challenging societal norms and not letting anything stand in your way of your dreams. When you follow your dreams, you never know what an impact it will have upon you, or those you might encounter on the journey. Just see the film, and be open to its message, and I am sure if you allow it too, it will touch you as well.

P.S. : The short in front of the feature is the funniest animated short film pixar has ever done, so even if ratatouille might not be as flashy as many might want it to be, the short film will have everyone in stitches, as it did our entire theater. So just go and see it, and be prepared for a wonderful two hours.

Pixar's best yet !

Author: Mike TheMovieAddict (mstramba@sympatico.ca) from Canada
17 June 2007

Fantastic ! ... Can't wait to get the DVD ! The technical / animation / lighting ..etc aspects of the film are awesome. Pixar has raised the bar again.

The best thing about the movie, is that it showcases Pixar's "mantra" , that being story, story ...story. That along with having great characters/animation/dialog, which you just forget ... or never even consider are digital puppets.

The humor was great too, the gags / situations character acting all contributing to making situations that "kids of all ages " could "get".

There is on one level the entire story, of Remy and Linguini, but then there are 3 or 4 or more subplots and a number of dramatic scene changes which almost felt like separate chapters of the main story. That all contributed ..for me at least... to keeping the movie very interesting right to the end.

While I found a few things predictable, there were also quite a few twists and and unexpected events / scenes, that just kept giving me more new "stuff" to enjoy 10 / 10 Mike

Pure brilliance... beats Nemo, Cars, etc !!

Author: Movie Lover from United States
18 June 2007

I saw this movie in the sneak preview, and I just loved it! You will be amazed by its creativity and brilliance. I would easily vote it to be the best animation movie ever beating nemo, cars, monster inc, etc by a mile! This movie is for people of all age groups. Kids, adults and even those who do not like animations will love it.

I do not want to say anything else here and spoil it for you. All I can say is if you do not watch it, you will be missing out on a very very very special movie.

I have never written a review on here before, but this movie made me write one. Ratatouille is pure brilliance!

Another Disney-Pixar Masterpiece!

Author: ashowen from West Virginia, USA
16 June 2007

This film is fantastic! Pixar has yet another great film to add to their impressive repertoire. Oscar-winning director and screenwriter Brad Bird, who wrote and directed "The Incredibles", has produced a film with subtle humor, heart, and very profound truth. The voice actors are so great, and it is especially great to hear Peter O'Toole on the screen. The animation is beautiful and it is all around an excellently made film. Its message is one that holds so much truth for everyone, especially today's youth: it tells people that no, not anyone can do anything, but if you have the talent you don't have to be limited by your surroundings or your upbringing. I think this is refreshing to hear because often, children are lied to when they are told they can do anything, when actually not all of them can. But it offers hope to the ones who may feel limited by their social class. It also exposes the fact that most people try to put up false facades of themselves to hide who they are in order to feel accepted by the social standards we create in our society; it shows characters with this flaw, but ultimately they accept this reality and learn to be true to themselves. This thread, I think, is very common throughout the Pixar films, and they present it very well. "Ratatouille" is my new Disney-Pixar favorite! "Ce film a pleine de joie de vivre!"

A First Rate Film

Author: robcat2075 from United States
17 June 2007

I just saw "Ratatouille" tonight.

It's a first class movie. Several thoughts come to mind...

-The character performances are so good, I think there's no sort of movie they couldn't make. I've heard Pixar's John Carter of Mars is going to be live action? No! I want them to do it all animated.

-"Cars" definitely _was_ a lower-value softball they threw to finish out that original Disney-gets-half-of-everything-plus-sequel-rights contract they were in at the time. I remember all the clucking last summer about how Pixar had lost its way.

-There were a few moments when they seemed to lose that stylized reality they had established and things looked merely "real".

-There was one scene in the latter part of the film where I thought "I can't believe they are doing this tired movie cliché" but they pulled out of it at the last second and made it something new.

-The 2D-ish end credits were great. Stick it out to the very end to see the mo-cap disclaimer!

-With this, Brad Bird is certainly one of the animation gods now.

Pulls the most out of an okay story

Author: GSmith9072 from United States
17 June 2007

Ratatouille is a major step up from a lot of last year's animated fare, and a vast improvement from last year's Oscar winner for best animated feature. Here we re-discover sweet simplicity amped up with the expected story-telling techniques of Pixar, and here's the kicker, no heavy handed messages hammered in with a drill, but there certainly is a message and it's delivered with subtler grace despite some flaws. Although, aspects to the message are borderline confusing if you over analyze the reality that occurs in the film, but the film doesn't scream for over-analyzation in the same fashion as "Finding Nemo". For me, the animation slightly overpowers the story, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The film is directed, camera-wise, with the same interesting techniques as "Happy Feet", but the film has more in store. We get to see the world mainly from Remmy's perspective, and it's visually exciting. The camera-work is what makes the film's physical humor work so well. More on the artistic scheme, the film looks really great. Particularly the lighting stands out. The colors are very lush and detailed; very accurate toward a real city-scape. Then the rat's fur are very impressive, it moves against the wind and gets wet very much like real rat hair. Don't let the detail in the clothes get past you either. The film manages to find a balance between superficial realism and animated characters. The character designs for the humans are marvelous (Bird seems to get much humor out of the smaller villains as seen in the past "Incredibles" and the non-Pixar film "Shrek") and the rats, while moving a lot like real rats still have acceptable personalities and animated form. So we feel like we're entering an animated world that is fleshy and real. Speaking of such, other animated marvels are the organic forms of the food. As real as the food in the film is, the film rightfully capture the spirit of the plot it pursues. It introduces the viewer into the world of fine-dinning and develops something rare in today's animation, a bleeding heart.

Story-wise, that's the only area where I can detect any trace of criticism. I felt at times, dare I say it, that the emotion was a little bit forced. There were just certain times I didn't understand a certain character's frustration. Also, I felt uneasy about the films unusual balance of fantasy and realistic themes, such as how the reactions to rats were carried our toward the end of the film and how it blends into the films major theme and other suspend disbelief occurrences. That lack of coherent continuity gives a writer a lot more flexibility in how to tell the story. In other words, it's kind of a shortcut. But it's an observation that is made up for by other successes in the film. The film very impressively for an animated film delivers some conventional themes with a little more depth (to truly enjoy it, I'd recommend erasing the fact that rats often carry disease from your mind). It's cute without embarrassingly forcing it and unpretentious. The very fact that what makes it work may fly over the heads of small children isn't a reason to condemn it. It's true though that I feel that younger kids may get a little restless halfway though, and not just through my own experience at the theater. however, this is another great film for an older audience to enjoy a simple well told story. As for whether it will have that lasting effect that Pixar films usually carry, only time will tell.

Page 1 of 60:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]