IMDb > Jindabyne (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jindabyne

Jindabyne More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Jindabyne is a brilliant and authentic Australian film.

Author: spacemoose-2 from Australia
22 July 2006

Jindabyne is a brilliant Australian film.

At a simple level Jindabyne is the story of four men who make a bad moral choice, to delay the reporting of a deceased woman while they continue their fishing trip. The story follows the repercussions as their choices become known in the small country town.

Jindabyne is good on this level, but it's real strength is in the complexity of the story. It is not only this study on personal decisions, but on White Australia's relationship with the land and with it's indigenous inhabitants.

The men are unable to admit the abhorrence of their actions, and in this respect they can easily be recognised as a metaphor for the colonising forces that invaded Australia. They also reflect contemporary Australia's inability to reconcil it's past with it's future.

The wives, and in particular the lead wife, is that part of Australia which is frantically trying to seek amends with the actions of white Australia. Though she is continually rebuffed by the family of the Aboriginal girl. They seem to suspect that she is apologising not to them, but for herself, for her husband... attempting to gain some kind of moral absolution with apology. This is the problem Australia faces now with it's cultural battles for our nations history... what if white Australia does make an apology for Aboriginal genocide... what if the apology is accepted? Will life just go on? Will the white people believe this apology is all that is required of them? The other theme in the film is the anxiety of the Australian bush. The beautiful countryside is at once shown as peaceful, but more often as threatening. This recalls much of Australian/settlers psyche in relation to this unknown environment.... see movies such as Picnic at Hanging Rock, or The Proposition.

Please ignore the previous comment, the Aboriginal people do not ruin the white peoples lives at all. And this comment shows the expectations that an apology ought to be accepted, which then makes the apology conditional on acceptance - If you won't accept the apology, then I'm not going to apologise.

But this is not a movie about Aboriginal people so much as it is about settler-anxiety.

As a film it beautiful creates the tension and anxiety (that word again) one feels in the isolated Australian bush. wonderful Music, sound and cinematography create an air of the surreal and a lurking hidden danger.

A pretentious and silly film with no idea of how to deliver it's "message"

Author: Glen Wooten from Sydney, Australia
19 November 2006

This movie is Bad, "Golden Turkey" bad, 3/4 of the way through I asked my wife to "just kill me" her reply was "No kill me" I have not seen a film at a Cinema this bad since The "Black Hole" Laura Linney's Character is the most annoying and scary character in the film, Much more than the Serial Killer! The only fun we had with this film is when the "killer" is trying to run Laura Linney off the road , She stops her car, The killer get's a good look at her,(She is scary), He then drives away from her as fast as he can ! I think the main problem with this film is the subject matter did not fit the "story" He is trying to tell, Like framing a Picasso in a Baroque frame, There are many film's made in Australia that did succeed in telling how badly Aboriginal Australia has Suffered under "White rule" this is not one of them.

Almost a Wash-Out

Author: pdgfd1 from NSW
21 August 2006

Recently seen, cinema release.

I was very much looking forward to Jindabyne, all the 'components' seemed to be aligned for my taste. However, both I and my 'screen partner' came away with little of the enthusiasm with which we usually leave R.L's work. On the whole I felt the comments made by various reviewers 'talked up' the film beyond it's final grasp. I really wasn't moved by the plights of the characters, and I found the 'washed out' cinematography truly irritating. We know there's sunshine in Australia, can someone please remember that with bright sunshine comes deep shadow!

terrible and slow

Author: mlawrence68 from Australia
13 August 2006

Saw this movie hoping it would give Australian cinema a shot in the arm. Oh boy was I disappointed.

The plot was so slow and drawn out. This film which went for over two hours could have been done in forty five minutes. Gabrielle Byrne and Laura Linney are both great actors but this is supposed to be an Australian film.

Are all our actors so busy they couldn't find anyone to fill the roles in this film. And I wont even get started on all the loose ends.

If you want to see a great Australian movie, Forget about this, go to the video store and hire The Castle or The Dish.

Terrible show - don't waste your time

Author: kerangador from Singapore
16 September 2006

I hate shows that are absolutely boring and filled with clichés. Let me give you a short synopsis of the movie.

1. Aborigine people are good 2. White people are bad- unless they are bisexual or homosexual. 3. The evil people are men. 4. Repeat after me, evil people are white males. 5. The Australian countryside harbors evil. 6. Guns are bad 7. Violence is only committed by white people. 8. Green voters are the best people to rule the world.

9. Men who go fishing are evil incarnate and are monsters 10. Wimin are oppressed by men!!!!

I can't believe I wasted a good evening watching this piece of rubbish. How in the world did the film producers get the tax payer funding to produce this boring piece of nonsense?

On the other hand, Kenny, a film about a dude who goes around cleaning toilets was hilarious - despite the fecal subject matter.

BTW, I have spent my holidays staying in Jindabyne, its a beautiful place. Peaceful, fresh air, and only a short drive to Perisher Blue for the best skiing in Australia.

Utter Rubbish

Author: pmkh from Australia
5 December 2006

Yet again we are subjected to a lecture from the black-armband historical revisionists about now terrible the nasty white man is to the abroginals.

AND.....as a taxpayer, have to pay for the privilege of it due to Film Finance funding.

I watched the entire wretched mess of a movie all the way through and then wondered how I would recover that completely wasted portion of my life.

Sheesh....it was almost enough to drive me to watching 'Salo' again!!!!!

disappointed

Author: djploof from Australia
20 August 2006

i did have high hopes for this movie. Other than some average acting, nothing else made it worth the trip. Even the scenery seemed distant and washed out. The screenplay wand editing sucked. There was no real flow I could grab onto and the "drama" seemed perplexing. Except for disrespecting an aboriginal dead body, there was no REAL tension.

What was the "Stewart" character so insular about? Did his motives for hair-colouring play into the whole thing? How?

Did John Howrd's "Carl" character really need to be there?

Overall, I feel that a good case was made for expanding mental health coverage in Regional Australia. I did learn a bit more about aboriginal ritual.

Excellent, thought provoking and compelling

Author: janicederek from Australia
25 July 2006

I saw Jindabyne last weekend and was spellbound. It was absolutely enthralling from the opening sequence for me, and the 2 hours evaporated before my eyes. The performances were breathtaking, especially Gabrielle Byrne who I had recently seen in 'Wah Wah' and also Laura Linney, and I enjoyed our local actors too - Debra Lee Furness (proving she's not simply Mrs Jackman), Chris Haywood and John Howard plus the cameo by Charles 'Bud' Tingwell - all made for excellent watching. Interestingly, as I sat transfixed at the end, and couldn't speak or move for a good few minutes, my husband was having a different experience. He tells me he too liked the film but found it too long and didn't appreciate the things I did. That made me wonder if I related to it so strongly because I am female - it proved for an interesting discussion over dinner later. Go see it and make your own mind up! Cheers Janice

Aussie Gem

Author: nvanvalleygirl from Australia
20 April 2015

An Aussie gem that contrasts heavily dark thematic undertones with the serenely quiet seeming landscape. For movie that has little to do with murder, and more to do with the emotionally strained relationships of the characters within, it is impressive that the filmmakers/screenwriter was able to capture this tension with the minimal use of dialogue.

Action was character driven and thought provoking - brilliantly performed. The takes are long in most cases and I can see why some people find this movie slow, but the effect of these longer takes is that it enables a poetic tension to build and allows for performance to take over. In a cinematic world where we are used to rapid cutting, witty fast-paced dialogue and over-used movement shots, it is reassuring to see a film that is successful at achieving an engaging story through employing simplicity.

Why'd They Let the Old Coot Murderer Go?

Author: Mike Rice (mr1111@charter.net) from Santa Monica, Ca
10 January 2014

Producers import two actors often seen in American films to spice up a Raymond Carver story transported to its new setting in Oz. I now remember a variation of this story from Robert Altman's Raymond Carver based film Short Cuts.

I saw this on DVD, not in a theater. Five minutes were missing. I wondered if they were what must have been an awful rape scene? The murderer needed so badly to be caught and there were so many ways he should have been, so why not do what the audience wants and try to capture the rapist at least comes the dawn.

I'm a little disappointed. I fell in love with the Oz movies when they started appearing in the late seventies. Let me give you a couple you can really chew on: Breaker Morant and Heart of the Stag. I recently made an extraordinary effort to get Heart of the Stag and succeeded. I asked for it ten months ago on Netflix and it wasn't found. Then in late summer I looked again and there it was.

Jindabyne's a good film. Laura Linney is fine. I didn't have much respect for the other fishermen and their wives, or the husband played by Gabe Byrne either, even at the end. The movie owned a hard reality. One more thing: the way these Oz working men and their wives dressed is just putrid. The worst are those colorful coveralls Gabe Byrne wore at the office and eventually, everywhere.

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]