IMDb > Jindabyne (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jindabyne

Jindabyne More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

What is worse to commit a crime or not to give a dime?

Author: mmunier from Australia
9 April 2007

Beautiful movie , beautiful music with beautiful sceneries. Perhaps not so beautiful people or at least people who don't show the best side of their beauty. Jindabyne until then was for me where you go to find the ski stations in the Snowy mountains in South Eastern Australia. Now it will be a kind of mystic "Hanging Rock" where I'll avoid to have a picnic. I read a few comments and wonder why I dare adding to it as I'm unable to write like this, but what the heck perhaps I'll add something interesting for others . Some comments mention people making bad choices! When I was watching the movie I could not even believe that people would be so uncouth. I can't imagine enjoying fishing in such a situation. I have learned to appreciate Gabriel Byrnes and so could tolerate his role. Still I found it very difficult to accept. The black and white problems weren't really an issue for me as I believe that the only problems with colour is when people with identifiable appearance behave differently than the majority of their environment. So often I observed how some people of unusual appearance can eventually make that unusual appearance disappear just by their individuality and may gain acceptance even admiration from others who normally would have loathed or avoid such identifiable people. Here I think the fate of that girl and what followed about her had little to do with her ethnicity, beside is not even the central theme for the story merely its vehicle yet surely in this situation would affect those who love her and yes the aboriginal situation in Australia remains delicate so it's logic for her people to perceive that event in the way they did, just as logic it is for the wives of those who made a "bad choice" to have their own perception and suspicion about the event. But I read somewhere the ethnic situation was added to the original story; some may find, it distracts a little from the intensity of the plot, other may like the adaptation as relevant in Australia. I did not mind it.

On a different subject I was wandering about the meaning of "spoiler" I read some comments that I found very liberal about the story details. Then read others with spoiler warning but could not see significantly stronger revelations in it. Perhaps readers should embrace "universal precaution" that is to treat every comment as a spoiler potential and the moderators could put what they think is a "safe" summary or introduction to movies Well just go en enjoy "Jyndabine", and if you come to NSW Australia visit the place you'll love it just as much (I was joking about avoiding picnic, of course!) MM

Excellent psychological study

Author: maryfederico from United States
31 March 2007

As an American (who just saw this movie at the Hong Kong International Film Festival) I don't have a deep understanding of Australia's Aboriginal situation. So I cannot comment knowledgeably on that aspect of this film.

But as a psychological study, I think Jindabyne is brilliant. The way people have different reactions/attitudes (some seemingly inexplicable) to the same situation, the way unresolved issues from the past bubble to the surface when new stresses occur, the way people rationalize behavior and demonize each other, the way "closure" eludes us...all of these things are beautiful realized by the writer, director, and actors.

Yes, the film may seem slow in some parts...it's not a classic action movie, that's for certain! But plenty of action takes place in the minds and hearts of the characters. If that type of thing interests you, you should see this film.

jindabyne deserves 9 & a half

Author: spj-4 from Australia
5 February 2007

This is a very thoughtfully crafted movie! And thought provoking.

"Jindabyne" weaves a complex plot & drama-filled atmosphere. It might have been gory, but its violence is subtle, as is the complexities of insights & intrigues that underlie the initial brutality & crime.

Layer upon layer, it envelopes the viewer, as surely as a townsfolk of people are drawn into the subjective & often unfounded prejudice of gossip. The myriad of central characters grow & interact, like unstable powderkegs in the hands of terrorists. But this is a small rural community. There is only one potential terrorist in the district, presented to the viewer alone, at the outset – the rest are victims of varying degrees of innocence, indifference & guilt, that winds into the hearts & souls of silent observers in the audience I was but a small part of. Like a minority, that majority viewers have no place for in the wider spectrum of things emerging & evolving, in our broader contemporary world.

Often, in my viewing, you could have heard a pin drop in the theatre as the plot unfolded! This is excellent Australian drama – reminiscent of fine movies of the 1970s, in a time when Australian movies were more welcomed. It brought back memories to me of the critically highly esteemed "Picnic At Hanging Rock" & less well received "The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith", also of less known offerings of Australian precision, like "Summerfield" "The Mango Tree" "Winter of our Dreams" & "The Last Wave". Or on the world stage, movies like "Cry Freedom" "Apocolypse Now" & "Stalingrad" come to mind as provoking similar sense of bewilderment in the ensuring drama & complexity of emotion, within or beyond a nation.

Initially, I thought I would be disappointed. I thought it was going to be an inferior version of "Picnic At Hanging Rock", my least preferred of the above mentioned movies. But, as it progressed towards its increasingly involved story skillfully interwoven, it ran rings around almost all the Australian movies above mentioned, & so many more.

Anyone who has had the slightest dealings with a country town in any country I have known or heard of, has stories to tell amidst gossip & half-truths into senseless gossip & lies, mixed with facts & blended with unfounded outrage. So you find it all here, where you as viewer, know more than most any of the characters presented … in "Jindabyne".

Take some of these thoughts into your viewing of this excellent movie & you will not be disappointed or bored in the slightest, to witness the unfolding complex drama. With the hand of David Williamson's influence woven masterfully into the framework, as he long ago displayed in GREAT quality movies like "Don's Party" & "The Club". This REALLY is a quality piece! Even more, I encourage you to take its relevance into the turmoil of the world that surrounds & confuses us, every time we hear or see a media report or gossiping into sensationalist media, or encounter a sledge-hammer of apparent truth with underlying outright media propaganda, that might have been occasioned with a nutcracker, rather than sledge-hammer.

But media too often doesn't work that way! Especially drawn into their own web of cover-up without justice.

But let yourself be drawn into the intricacies of an isolated village, that could have been most anywhere in the world, & let it find you in your circumstance & priorities. There are many ways out. Some of them are presented here.

terrible, contrived plot and atrocious writing

Author: danbusso from United Kingdom
18 August 2007

I am rarely compelled to write a review on here but this film was so so mind numbingly slow, the characters so unappealing and unsympathetic and the plot so tortured that I feel I have to.

The principal resolves around the men leaving the body in the lake to fish, and yet the interaction between these men about the body is not scripted at all. On top of that, some of the most two dimensional characters (for example the young guy who has nothing decent to say at all except talk on the phone to his girlfriend), the large guy who calls another character "the lesbian" for no reason whatsoever and Laura Linnley who is annoyingly psychotic at the end for no reason.

Throw in some hugely contrived plot features that serve no function at all (for example the strange relationship between the two kids, the serial killer who we could have done without, the back story about the mother running off) and this becomes unbearable. There is even a slight (perhaps) suggestion of necrophilia when Byrnes character strokes the hair of the corpse int he middle of the night and then as soon as he returns to his wife tries to touch up his wife rather than tell her what happened.

Very poor indeed, avoid like the plague

Check out walkthru-jindabyne.com for a taste of the real Jindabyne

Author: wayne-416 from Australia
4 February 2007

I thought this movie was great, it is a little slow and it leaves you with food for thought Overall it is definitely worth watching. The storyline comes from an old poem about group of guys who are keen fishermen. They plan a trip out to go fishing in a remote stream and spend a whole day driving and then walking to get there. Once there they set up camp and go for a fish only to discover the dead body of a young girl floating in the stream. They ponder on what to do and despite knowing they should report the body they decide to spend the weekend fishing and report it when they get home (there is no phone service there so they would have to hike back out to report it). The saga of the movie unfolds when locals learn of this decision and are upset that the men were able to fish despite such an horrific discovery. But take it from me, a jindabyne local that we don't really have a killer on the loose. For more info and short films about Jindabyne go to www.walkthru-jindabyne.com

Wonderful cinematography, wonderful acting. An unsettling yet satisfying film

Author: Niche_SD from Australia
23 July 2006

It's the story of four male friends who go fishing over a weekend and find the body of an indigenous girl in a river. They don' report the incident immediately, as there is nothing anyone can do anyway, and so report it when they return as originally planned. The community is disgusted by their behaviour, some citing it as racist ("If it were a white girl you'd have reported is immediately"), others just seeing them as sick. What we as audience observe is the reactions of the men's families; how they all deal with the issue and with each other.

Gabriel Byrne plays Stuart, protagonist if you will, and Laura Linney his American wife Claire. Both have immigrated to Australia, so the actors use their own accents. These two are the central family in the story, and their history factors in to the way Claire deals with Stuart finding a body. There is quite a bit of indigenous Australian culture shown in the film, particularly the girls burial ceremony, which is a very poignant scene in the film.

This was quite unsettling to watch, but very well put together. Some Beautiful cinematography of Jindabyne itself, and the surrounding mallee area, the mountains and arid scrub land. The whole film, with the exception if one scene, was done in single takes, and the acting is remarkable. AS a result, the film flows well, and the characters' characterization is remarkably constant.

Go and see it if you can. It was just remarkable, if a little unsettling.

Gone Fishing

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
28 May 2007

Greetings again from the darkness. Don't go to this movie expecting even a moment of joy, happiness or humor. It is filled with grief, sorrow, guilt and sadness. Based on the short story "So Much Water So Close to Home" by Raymond Carver, director Ray Lawrence presents an expose and the various ways of coping and co-existing.

Very well acted by the always solid Gabriel Byrne and Laura Linney, the real cast standout is Eva Lazzaro as young Caylin-Calandria, whose experiments with death are the spookiest part of the story. My first reaction to young Ms. Lazzaro was that she would be a perfect sister to Damien in "The Omen", and then I see she was in a Stephen King miniseries last year ... perfect. Another fine performance was provided by Deborrah-Lee Furnessm Caylin's grandmother who is now raising her after guess what??? ... a death in the family.

The story centers around a poor decision by a group of guys out for a weekend fishing trip and escalates into the depths of gloom upon their return. First of all, can anyone be surprised that a group of guys out fishing and drinking have their judgment clouded? But most of the film is based on the relationships, or lack thereof, of the families and friends.

A note to Laura Linney: I have always been a huge fan of your work and talent. You are an amazing actress. But PLEASE ... step out of the bitter, near-psychotic, emotionally-beaten woman roles. You have that one pegged, but we want to see you do something else. Lighter or Darker, it doesn't matter ... just something else!!

An intriguing movie with a valid message

Author: jauneoiseau from Australia
25 July 2006

I went to see Jindabyne last night with my 16 year old son and we were both impressed. Being Aussies ourselves we do tend to be harder on Australian films, however this one did deliver.

The acting and direction were impressive. The storyline for me was like a roller coaster - you just didn't know which way things were going to go and there were many points where I was kind of on the edge of my seat.

Jindabyne captivated us both however we didn't fully understand the little twist (motif?) at the end with the bee (or was it a wasp) that bit the murderer on the neck. Was it like a "Karma"? I thought maybe it could have been like the aboriginal spirit of the girl came after the traditional aboriginal funeral with all the smoke and got him back after what he had done? Nevertheless, it made us think - and that's a good thing!

I'm not personally into all the aboriginal superstition etc, however I found the movie to open windows of interest up to me I thought never existed.

The cinematography was very appealing, especially being in the Snowy Mountains high country - one of my favourite places to get away to.

The message this movie/story gave me was that we need to face our fears and those things that cripple us emotionally and physically and conquer them. Stand up for what we believe in hope that others will follow suit. . . And finally, if you do find a dead body while your on vacation, don't wait days to tell the police.

Don't waste your time (or money)

Author: okaki from Singapore
24 April 2007

I never rate 1/10 before this but I have to say this is one of the worst movies in my life.

The movie runs EXTREMELY slow (I even had the chance--at the same time--to cook dinner, play with my dog and did other things without losing the story).

It seemed a very PROMISING story but the ending was extremely disappointing.

I could have thrown my TV out for that. After the painful waiting of the slow storyline, having an ending like that is just a pain in the bum.

The acting is OK, casting was fine. The problem only lies in the story and the ending. And my question comes back again, why would you waste your money making a movie like that?

It's nothing really like Lantana. My friends warned me that the movie is so bad I shouldn't watch it. But I thought it can't be THAT bad if it's the same maker as Lantana and is now travelling around the world to be screened. Well my friend was right, I shouldn't have watched it!!!!!

So, here's my advise to everyone too:

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME that's my suggestion again!

Another Quality, Quirky and Delightful Australian Film

Author: coolowl2006 from Australia
29 July 2006

Quality for the photography and naturalness of the actors. Quirky for the storyline and ending. Delightful for the setting. It might be 10 years since I was on the Monaro but the power of that stark landscape came through in the film. I could imagine the chill in the wind. The impoundments with their drowned towns could appeal to Australians with a sense of history but may not impact on people who had not seen them before. The reasons for the lakes could have been hinted at, viewers from other backgrounds could have missed out an important aspect of the film's many threads. The story was a little disjointed. It's not clear why an American and an Irishman were the major characters but perhaps there was finance from their respective countries. Regardless, Laura Linney made a huge impact with Tales of the City and she played just as fine a role here. The ending leaves the viewer with unanswered questions and it's a while since I've seen a film like that so it was good to have yet another unusual aspect to this film.

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]