IMDb > Jindabyne (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jindabyne

Jindabyne More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Another dreary self important Australian mess.

Author: capsulemusic2001 from Australia
15 August 2010

I really wanted to like this film...but ultimately found it a slow, self important, tedious, offensive mess. It's as though the producers tried to tick every PC box to get film Australia funding. (Lesbians, Aboriginals, all the white men are evil) PAHH-LEEEZE. Not a single likable or sympathetic character in the whole sorry charade. I gave up caring for anyone in the film and started hoping the 'serial killer' would start picking them off.. just to relieve the tedium.

What could have been an interesting film ( good premise, great locations, strong cast) simply get's mired in it's own bloated sense of self importance.

mumble

Author: (gsygsy) from london uk
12 February 2008

Australia looks beautiful. But, just as the old town of Jindabyne lies hidden beneath the waters, in the hearts of its inhabitants lie secrets...

This is a compelling film, full of terrific scenes, excellently acted, and profoundly disturbing. The only problem for me lies in the erratic recording of some - actually quite a bit - of the dialogue: whole sections conversation are muddied in mumble, and there was clearly a decision taken not to do any post-sync work. It's a shame. The dialogue that is audible is very good indeed.

Definitely worth watching, though, not least for another superb performance by Laura Linney.

this film should be condensed to 30mins

Author: paul from United Kingdom
12 July 2007

Having heard so many people raving about this film I thought I'd give it a go. Apart from being incredibly slow, which I don't mind as long as the wait is worth it, but it just isn't. As many others have said there are so many inconsistencies and so much of this film just doesn't ring true. The reaction of the 4 men switches from shock, horror on finding the body to complete indifference whilst they fish. Surely if they were the type of men that would go on happily fishing, then they would have just reported the body and said they had only discovered it after their fishing trip....why on earth tie the body to a tree, go fishing and then tell everyone you found the body 2 days previously? Its so hard to watch a film knowing that the behaviour of the main characters is so inconsistent. As for the rest of the townsfolk, well you'd think at least one of them might show some curiosity about who actually killed the woman! The body itself, naked except for the knickers....what scenario leads to that? If she was raped then why still the knickers? If she was raped with the clothes on, then why remove them afterwards bar the knickers? If she wasn't raped, then why take all her clothes off bar the knickers....leaving yourself with evidence to dispose of? I truly cant think of any realistic scenario that would lead to that other than killing someone to steal their clothes so you can fill up your jumble sale stall! Oh well its watchable but only just and only because, despite the poor script, the acting is strong.

Highlights all that's wrong with Australian movies

Author: guyau-399-68372 from US
16 January 2013

It's been a while since I've seen this movie, but it deserves a review for highlighting all that's wrong with the Australian film industry. To make a movie in Australia, you all but have to obtain government film funding, which is decided by bureaucrats that prove the old adage: those that can, do, those that can't become film bureaucrats. These depressed, politically correct, failed filmmakers, a product of government-backed film schools that churn out thousands of like-minded confrères, favour social realism and fund topics such as drug addiction, domestic violence, racial intolerance and rural horror. Hence the litany of depressing, ugly portraits of Australia, which are to tourism what cyanide is to fine dining.

Jindabyne is typically ponderous and depressing. It highlights feminist and indigenous themes, a prerequisite for funding it seems, culminating in ludicrously irrelevant scenes of traditional Aboriginal mourning. Saddest of all, this was hailed at the time as a pinnacle of Australian cinema, the critics as delusional as the government-suckled film industry. The public voted with its box office dollars, and largely avoided this movie, along with most of the dreary drivel produced in the last, lost decade of Australian filmmaking.

So, I'd avoid this movie and see Robert Altman's Short Cuts. Not even an original plot line, Jindabyne is based on a Raymond Carver short story, which Short Cuts handles infinitely better.

A dead loss!

Author: flickernatic from United Kingdom
11 August 2008

This is an abysmal piece of story-telling. It is about an hour into the movie before we have much idea of what it is supposed to be about; the characters often mumble inaudibly; actions frequently seem to have no relation to each other; nobody seems to be concerned about who actually murdered the girl; a pair of spooky kids go swimming in waters that seem threatening but nothing happens; the Irishman gets punched in the face by one of his buddies for no apparent reason ... to continue would be as boring as the movie itself. The only half-entertaining element is the landscape photography; but anyone could point a camera at the Australian outback a get memorable shots. Overall - dreary, incoherent, pretentious - and downright annoying for wasting so much of the viewer's time.

Fine with Jindabyne

Author: FlyByDay from Sunshine Coast, Aus
2 August 2006

I went to see Jindabyne not expecting too much as the plot has been exposed far and wide in reviews and especially with comments like 'it's not as good as Lantana.' Well I'm happy to report that it was the best Aussie movie I've seen in a long time and I thought it was better than Lantana. The acting by all was outstanding and with not a 'typical' Aussie stereotype in sight. It moved me and there aren't too many movies around these days that can do that. What I thought was a bit fishy though is surely there would have been some debate by the four fishermen as to what to do after finding the body ie whether to stop fishing and report the body to the police but no, they just kept fishing as if you find a body every day in your fishing stream. I felt the aboriginal theme was thrown in for good measure as I'm sure the four would have done the same thing if they had found a white girl. As Byrne said to Linney ' it was a stranger'

its in the little details...

Author: waterwalker from Australia
22 July 2006

Saw this movie today; there were a number of things I liked about it.

Laura Linney and Gabriel Byrne were both excellent in the leading roles, and gave their characters real complexity and depth.

This movie is one of those that doesn't give you many answers. Some viewers might find this frustrating. The solution to the mystery is clearly implied, though never explicitly stated.

The story as told in the movie takes in far more than the mystery that forms the heart of it, though. The way modern society constructs and negotiates political correctness is subtly explored. So are the different coping mechanisms people have in place for getting through trauma or grief, and the line between protection and telling the truth, and how the truth so often gets slanted with the best intentions.

This movie isn't Lantana, but a Lantana comes along only once in a blue moon.

Well worth seeing for people who like complex, subtle, character driven drama for their movie fare.

Morbid and Polemic Study of Moral Aspects of Human Characters

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
31 January 2009

In the Australian town of Jindabyne, the former race champion Stewart Kane (Gabriel Byrne) works in a gas station with his partners and friends Carl (John Howard), Rocco (Stelios Yiakmis) and Billy (Simon Stone). His impassionate marriage with the unstable Claire (Laura Linney) has an unresolved issue since Claire left him when their son Tom (Sean Rees-Wemyss) was born. The great passion of Stewart is fishing and he organizes a weekend fishing trip in a remote river with his three great friends. On Friday afternoon, they park the car and hike and camp in the spot; while fishing, Stewart finds the naked dead body of an aboriginal young woman floating on the cold water. Stewart ties the leg of the woman to an arbor and they spend the weekend fishing. On Sunday afternoon, they return to the parking area and report their finding to the police. When the press releases the information, their public and private lives are deeply affected and the disturbed Claire questions Stewart's attitude while trying to help and apologize with the family of the dead aborigine.

"Jindabyne" has a storyline of great potential, with a morbid and polemic study of moral aspects of human (and consequently flawed) characters. Unfortunately the screenplay is not good and looses the focus of the main storyline entwined with many parallel and unresolved plots of supporting characters. Why Caylin-Calandria has such weird and morbid behavior? (It seems that because of the death of her mother, but it is never clear). The character of the old man that killed the aborigine is not developed. Why Claire became dysfunctional with the birth of her son? Why Stewart is still married with Claire? The attitude of Claire against her husband is annoying and in Brazil we have a saying that states "with a friend (or in this case wife) like that, Stewart does not need enemies". Anyway, the locations in Australia are stunning, the cast has great acting and it is worth watching this movie. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): Not Available

Thought provoking but dull

Author: annie-186 from Australia
13 September 2006

I had read so many good reviews about this film, so just HAD to see it. Well about half an hour into it, I was bored to death and it didn't get any better.

Basic plot summary: young aboriginal girl gets raped and murdered and dumped in the local water system near a rural township. Four friends off on a fishing weekend in a secluded location, find the body. Instead of reporting it, one of the party ties the body up and they carry on with their holiday. They later report the find to the police and incur a backlash from the local and the aboriginal community. Each person and their spouse react differently and it is this character exploration that is central to the film's story.

It sounds good and original. However the pace was too slow and I felt nothing for the characters. Laura Linney's character meant well, but she was sickeningly self-righteous. There was also a very poisonous little girl who I found difficult to watch as her behaviour bordered on sociopathic. The only character I liked was Laura Linney's son.

My summary: slow, hard to watch and completely unsympathetic characters.

Confusing

Author: craig-hopton from United Kingdom
8 July 2014

The movie had a really good concept. It's about race division in Australia, but more importantly it's an exploration of how a small, innocent decision (not immediately reporting a murdered body) can turn out to look malicious and divisive in hindsight, and the repercussions this can cause.

My problem with this Jindabyne is that these themes were kind of taken over by the focus on the lead female character Claire and her mental and emotional issues, which didn't really work for me.

There's also a very bizarre subplot where the movie shows you the movements of the murderer but this never seems to lead to anything. It creates an air of menace at first but then just becomes rather pointless. The police don't seem to have any leads to follow and so the opportunity of this becoming an engaging crime-detective drama comes to nothing.

I may have just missed the point of this movie but it didn't do it for me.

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]